- - - - -

94th Aero Squadron (USA) Squadron History

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 25 February 2011 - 17:48

Hello friends. Please assist in writing ENGLISH text of history of the squadron which will be available to player in the first release of the New Career.
It should contains more than 2500 symbols (no upper limit), and it should describe WHOLE history of the squadron - from fundation till it's history end (amy be even till modern days, like for USAF 94th Aero Squadron for example).
Any additional facts and remarks are appreciated.

So please discuss and post your texts here for 94th Aero Squadron US squadron

#2 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:11

taken directly from Wiki site athttp://en.wikipedia....ighter_Squadron" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia....ighter_Squadron

94th Aero Squadron

On September 30, 1917, two officers and 150 enlisted men left Texas for France and were sent to seven different aircraft factories for maintenance and repair training. In April 1918, the 94th was reunited and stationed at the Gengault Aerodrome near Toul, France, where it began operations as the first American squadron at the front.

As the first American squadron in operation, its aviators were allowed to create their squadron insignia. They used the opportunity to commemorate the United States' entry into World War I by taking the phrase of tossing one's "hat in the ring" (a boxing phrase to signify one's willingness to become a challenger) and symbolizing it with the literal image of Uncle Sam's red, white and blue top hat going through a ring.

On April 14, Lt. Douglas Campbell, who later became America's first flying ace, and Lt. Alan Winslow downed two German aircraft. These were the first victories ever scored by an American unit. No 94th pilot achieved more aerial victories than 1st Lt. Edward Vernon Rickenbacker, who was named America's "Ace of Aces" during the war. In his Nieuport 28 and later in his SPAD S.XIII, Rickenbacker was credited with 26 of the squadron's 70 kills during World War I. By the end of hostilities, the 94th had won battle honors for participation in 11 major engagements and was awarded the Croix de Guerre with Palm.

The squadron was assigned to the 1st Pursuit Group based at Toul (May 5, 1918), and subsequently at Touquin (June 28, 1918), Saints (July 9, 1918) and Rembercourt (September 1, 1918).

The 103d Aero Squadron constructed facilities, December 1917-1 February 1918; with flight echelon originally composed of former members of the Lafayette Escadrille, participated in combat as a pursuit unit with the French Fourth Army, French Sixth Army, Detachment of the Armies of the North (French), French Eighth Army, and the American First Army, 18 February-10 November 1918.

On 8 April 1924, the 103d's history, honors and lineage were consolidated by the Air Service into that of the 94th Pursuit Squadron.

The 94th Fighter Squadron is the second oldest fighter squadron in America's history.

Today, the squadron flies the advanced air dominance fighter, the F-22A Raptor, being the USAF's second operational F-22 squadron in 2006. 94 FS aircraft have the tail code "FF".

I don't know what constitutes plagerism or not - but correct information, is correct information. Unless an English Major wants to reword it…this is a good overview of the 94th.

#3 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:25

Good. I've added paragraph about WW2 period, it's 3200 symbols now. So, it's enough and completed. Thank you for the link.

Unsticking thread as completed.

#4 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:05

I added the part in bold to the first paragraph:

The 94th Aero Squadron was activated officially on August 20, 1917, at Kelly Field, Texas. On September 30, 1917, two officers and 150 enlisted men left Texas for France and were sent to seven different aircraft factories for maintenance and repair training. In April 1918, the 94th was reunited and stationed at the Gengault Aerodrome near Toul, France, where it began operations as the first American squadron at the front.

As the first American squadron in operation, its aviators were allowed to create their squadron insignia. They used the opportunity to commemorate the United States' entry into World War I by taking the phrase of tossing one's "hat in the ring" (a boxing phrase to signify one's willingness to become a challenger) and symbolizing it with the literal image of Uncle Sam's red, white and blue top hat going through a ring.

On April 14, Lt. Douglas Campbell, who later became America's first flying ace, and Lt. Alan Winslow downed two German aircraft. These were the first victories ever scored by an American unit. No 94th pilot achieved more aerial victories than 1st Lt. Edward Vernon Rickenbacker, who was named America's "Ace of Aces" during the war. In his Nieuport 28 and later in his SPAD S.XIII, Rickenbacker was credited with 26 of the squadron's 70 kills during World War I. By the end of hostilities, the 94th had won battle honors for participation in 11 major engagements and was awarded the Croix de Guerre with Palm.

The squadron was assigned to the 1st Pursuit Group based at Toul (May 5, 1918), and subsequently at Touquin (June 28, 1918), Saints (July 9, 1918) and Rembercourt (September 1, 1918).

The 103d Aero Squadron constructed facilities, December 1917-1 February 1918; with flight echelon originally composed of former members of the Lafayette Escadrille, participated in combat as a pursuit unit with the French Fourth Army, French Sixth Army, Detachment of the Armies of the North (French), French Eighth Army, and the American First Army, 18 February-10 November 1918.

On 8 April 1924, the 103d's history, honors and lineage were consolidated by the Air Service into that of the 94th Pursuit Squadron.

The 94th Fighter Squadron is the second oldest fighter squadron in America's history.

Today, the squadron flies the advanced air dominance fighter, the F-22A Raptor, being the USAF's second operational F-22 squadron in 2006. 94 FS aircraft have the tail code "FF".

#5 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 03 March 2011 - 13:11

I added the part in bold to the first paragraph:

Hey Luke,

In an attempt to not waste your hard work and effort….

…perhaps you should try and stick to the squadrons where Han says:

Completed, thread unstickied.

Any additional details may be added / corrected.

…and not worry about the ones where Han says:

So, it's enough and completed. Thank you for the link.

….just a suggestion. ;)

I mean, it's a good addition, don't get me wrong. I'm just looking at it from a priority perspective. Then again, if the date is added at the beginning…should the second sentance read, " A month later, two officers….." - doesn't sound so dry that way, like you're reading a manual or something…

*shrug*

#6 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 03 March 2011 - 21:35

Hey Luke,

In an attempt to not waste your hard work and effort….

…perhaps you should try and stick to the squadrons where Han says:

Completed, thread unstickied.

Any additional details may be added / corrected.

…and not worry about the ones where Han says:

So, it's enough and completed. Thank you for the link.

….just a suggestion. ;)

I mean, it's a good addition, don't get me wrong. I'm just looking at it from a priority perspective. Then again, if the date is added at the beginning…should the second sentance read, " A month later, two officers….." - doesn't sound so dry that way, like you're reading a manual or something…

*shrug*

It took me all of about a minute to add. If Han wants to add it, then fine. If not, no big deal. Please don't tell me where to devote my time and efforts, though.

#7 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 05 March 2011 - 00:03

Added, thank you :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users