Photo
- - - - -

BIOGRAPHIES for Career Personages - please assist

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#161 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 25 October 2011 - 16:46

No, obviously, I can't duplicate individual missions. To that extent it is still a game.

But I can duplicate the squadrons they were assigned to, the plane types they flew, the marking on their planes, the aerodromes they used, and PWCG provides me the ace wingmen they flew with. How cool is it to be flying as Grid Caldwell and having Mick Mannock on my wing?

To me it just adds more depth and immersion. And it shows respect for the pilot whose career I am trying to duplicate at least to the limits 777 will allow me.

And that, in my opinion, is more immersive than just naming my pilot Elmer Fudd or Yosemite Sam and using one of those poorly-written, maudlin and really silly fictional biographies the game has now.

If you look at the Escadrille 124 career, the Lafayette Escadrille (pre-February 1918 when it moved to the USAS) doesn't have a single American name or a single American biography on its roster. How lame is that?

I plead guilty to being a purist. There are worse crimes. :mrgreen:

#162 MiG-77

MiG-77

Posted 25 October 2011 - 16:54

No, obviously, I can't duplicate individual missions. To that extent it is still a game.

But I can duplicate the squadrons they were assigned to, the plane types they flew, the marking on their planes, the aerodromes they used.

To me it just adds more depth and immersion. And it shows respect for the pilot whose career I am trying to duplicate at least to the limits 777 will allow me.

Some could argue (not me ofcourse) that flying as famous pilot is actually insult to said pilot as you are pretending to be him.

And that, in my opinion, is more immersive than just naming my pilot Elmer Fudd or Yosemite Sam and using one of those poorly written, maudlin and really silly fictional biographies the game has now.

Which in itself is not that unhistorical. There were number of "unknown" pilots aswell.

If you look at the Escadrille 124 career, the Lafayette Escadrille (pre-February 1918 when it moved to the USAS) doesn't have a single American name or a single American biography on its roster. How lame is that?

Well, personally I dont even care. To me all pilots could be named as Jon Doe's and it would not bother me a bit.

I plead guilty to being a purist. There are worse crimes. :mrgreen:

Burn witch :twisted: :)

#163 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 25 October 2011 - 16:56

:S!:

#164 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:18

This debate is really about where to draw the line on realism and on what each of us considers to be the most immersive way to play this game. I see no issue with attempting to model the machines and the environment they flew in as realistically as possible and, at the same time, pretending I am some fictional pilot back in WW1 flying in a recreation of that conflict. It's how I prefer to experience the game, actually. If I flew as Rickenbacker, I would feel like I am not doing what he did in the manner he would do it. We aren't the same people, so I wouldn't want to pretend to be him.

The fictional bios add to the sim experience. As to the quality of the writing, it is acceptable although improvements are always welcome. I am not an ex-journalist, but I do enjoy quality prose.

#165 Zoring

Zoring

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:33

Which would you guys consider the better written/more realistic biographies compared to a bad one anyhow? Since hottom is throwing around words like poorly written, maudlin and silly.

#166 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:33

Arj, as I said, almost all arguments in every flight sim forum are realism versus fantasy.

Actually, I am flying a Rickenbacker campaign in PWCG. I don't pretend I'm Rickenbacker. I simply admire him. I don't adopt his name as my forum call sign or his photo as my forum avatar (or worse, take a photo of a famous ace and paste my own ugly mug on top of it).

What's weird and inconsistent is, while bios are fiction, the photos are of real pilots. I believe there are at least three of Captain Eddie to choose from in the Beta Career. So, why not Captain Eddie's real biography as well?

It's all a moot argument anyway. 777 isn't likely to change it.

But if they choose to add some, how about some Yank pilots in in the Lafayette Escadrille? And a few in the RFC/RNAS/RAF?

Again, my apologies for being late to the party. I didn't pay any attention to this project at the time because I was so burned out from cranking out news stories for 777 seven days a week all last fall.

But, had I noticed, I would have protested back then ;)

#167 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:35

Which would you guys consider the better written/more realistic biographies compared to a bad one anyhow? Since hottom is throwing around words like poorly written, maudlin and silly.

Zoring,

You tell me which ones you think are good and I'll tell you whether I agree. :mrgreen:

#168 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 25 October 2011 - 19:02

Zoring,

You tell me which ones you think are good and I'll tell you whether I agree. :mrgreen:

Why don't you simply tell us which ones you like and dislike? Quit evading the point.

#169 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 25 October 2011 - 19:07

I'm not at my gaming computer to look at them all right now, but the only one I truly consider "odd" is the "Old Guy" one for the US.

On a side note, the American race car driver bio is heavily based upon Rickenbacker's biography. I should know, because I wrote it. :D

#170 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 25 October 2011 - 19:09

Luke, I'm not going to spend hours digging through all of them, and least of all to satisfy you after the unprovoked personal attack you pulled on me in this forum.

I'm not "evading the point." I've read many if them, certainly most of the British and American ones. Didn't like any of them.

What I disagree MOST with is the concept.

#171 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 25 October 2011 - 19:16

Luke, I'm not going to spend hours digging through all of them, and least of all to satisfy you after the unprovoked personal attack you pulled on me in this forum.

Oh please, give it a rest already. :roll:

I'm not "evading the point." I've read many if them, certainly most of the British and American ones. Didn't like any of them.

Well there, that wasn't so hard! You just told us which ones you don't like. ;)

#172 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 25 October 2011 - 21:48

Arj, as I said, almost all arguments in every flight sim forum are realism versus fantasy.
Yeah, that point gets restated in most of these kinds of threads. In this particular case, I don't agree that you are being more realistic if you assume an historical pilot's life and fly as him. It's unrealistic either way. This debate is more about personal preferences.

What's weird and inconsistent is, while bios are fiction, the photos are of real pilots. I believe there are at least three of Captain Eddie to choose from in the Beta Career. So, why not Captain Eddie's real biography as well?
Ah! Now there is something I can agree with. If this was your entire point, I missed it earlier. But, yeah, if we are going to post actual pictures of people that had real histories, I would prefer not to attach a fictional bio to that persona. Better would be to come up with photos of pilots that are relatively anonymous or, even better, enable a way for us to import our own photos. Then if I want to fly with my ugly mug grafted over Eddie's bod, that's just between me and my computer.

#173 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 25 October 2011 - 22:31

or, even better, enable a way for us to import our own photos. Then if I want to fly with my ugly mug grafted over Eddie's bod, that's just between me and my computer.

You can already do that.

#174 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 25 October 2011 - 23:48

HotTom, here's my suggestion for you:

Go down to Bi-Lo (Walmart, whatever you call it where you live that sells cheap stuff) and get a pen and some paper (preferably in a diary format) and some teabags. You can rub a moist tea-bag over the paper to make it look 90 years old and write your own biographies on it. Assign whatever names and photos you want to your pilots and track them manually whilst keeping your own squadron diary just like they did back in the Great War. You can make up whatever you want and not be shackled by the limitations of having to tolerate someone elses' flawed perception of realism.

Also, if you have enough friends, you could invite them over to role-play the parts of squadron personnel. You'd have to shoot them, burn them or throw them off of high buildings to achieve the level of realism you seem to desire but if they're relatively patient and understanding types who are not given to indulging in litigation then their deaths and maiming shouldn't be a problem. It's all in the name of simulation after all.

#175 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 26 October 2011 - 00:02

Jimmy, do you want to hear my suggestion for you? ;)

#176 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 26 October 2011 - 00:07

Jimmy, do you want to hear my suggestion for you? ;)

Only if it's a really funny one.

#177 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 26 October 2011 - 00:09

Sorry. It wouldn't qualify :mrgreen:

#178 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 26 October 2011 - 00:11

Sorry. It wouldn't qualify :mrgreen:

LMAO :S!:

#179 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:07

You can already do that.
Hey, problem solved! :S!:

#180 M.H

M.H

Posted 18 July 2012 - 16:10

<p>Raised in Calcutta , in colonial India $[birthDate] amoungst a family of zamindars , left for England for higher education when he was just 14 years old . After studying at the Oxford university , he like his British friend , joined the Air service at the age of $[age] . $[name] learnt to fly in Oxford and gained his pilot's licence in October 1915. Transferred to the Royal Flying Corps (RFC), he undertook training at Central Flying School, where he was awarded his wings on 26 January 1916. In February, he joined No. 13 Squadron RFC at Marieux in France, flying reconnaissance missions before being posted in May to No. 11 Squadron, a fighter unit.</p>
<p>While serving in this squadron , in May , $[name] was shot down in friendly territory by a group of Fokker E.Is and was injured . He was admitted to a field hospital nearby and was sent to England to recover . He spent a month in a hospital in England recovering . He received a letter stating him to report to duty in the 40 squadron as a technical officer stating that " $[firstname]$[lastname] is a beautiful and natural pilot , but tends to get exited and leave the formation ". He reported to the squadron as a technical officer , but the CEO was kind enough to let him fly . The doctor also declared him fit for flying . </p>
<p> After a month of flying in this squadron , $[name] was sent back to England to Upavon for gunnery training . He trained here for two months , firing at stationary objects on the ground from his plane . After this training , he was ordered to report to 3 squadron flying Sopwith Camels . But after a few months here , he developed an allergy to the castor oil from the rotary engine . The CO of the squadron wrote to the war office stating his problem .</p>
<p>But after a month here , he was sent to Vendome as a flight instructor , frustrated at not being able to fight the war . He was one of the many front line pilots who found themselves as flying teachers due to the lack of flying instructors . After a few months here he joined $[squad] in $[startdate].</p> Image
/*NOTE- This is a semi fictitious biography based on the late Indra Lal Roy , the only Indian ace till date ( 9 kills ) who was shot down in flames near Carvin , France on 22 July 1918 in his SE5a . */

#181 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 21 April 2018 - 14:56

Any movement or progres inhere, if no delete this from pinned.

Thanks for unpinning, pity that I always have to ask this, I still think moderators most keep this forum up to date to keep this forum attractive.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users