Photo
- - - - -

Ultra and other planes

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 tisfleshwound

tisfleshwound

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:56

Hi, I just recently got the demo and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

I am considering buying the game. I am looking at the ultra upgrade but I dont see the bombers listed in the description and notice the date says "the planes as of this date", would I have to buy those seperately after getting the ultra package and is there any other planes that I would have to purchase after getting the ultra pack? Does it include every plane that is available (or even the pre order) one too or just those listed in the description. I am thinking because if I wanted a full planeset it is going to cost more than just the ultra pack. Which I dont think I can do the ultra pack is a lot for my budget. So I need to spend wisely. If it's not a full planeset which is no bombers, well the bombers look fun and that would be a shame not to be able to fly them after spending extra on the ultra pack. When I maybe could have purshased differently and got the bombers and a good selection of fighters to go with it. :mrgreen:

Should I wait for ultra pack to be updated to buy rise of flight even, this could happen tomorrow or in years time? Do I wait for the new "pre order" plane to come out or wait for a christmas sale im really not sure what to do. :oops:

regards

#2 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:53

I would recommend you buy the ICE edition, which comes with quite a few planes (i forget how many now, 5 or 6 I think? EDIT: 8 actually!) which is more than enough aircraft to keep you busy for a while. Each Plane in RoF has a unique feel to it and has its own learning curve. With those ICE aircraft you can pretty much join any MP server (except maybe some early war ones) and they are great planes for learning both Turn & Burn and Boom n Zoom fighting styles. After that you can add more aircraft to your hangar, either piece-meal or all at once with the bundles. If you know you are going to want all the aircraft though, then the Mega upgrade might be the best bet.

The bombers are good fun, but you can still be a gunner in MP even if you dont own them. You will need to buy them to fly them though. Lastly, sales come round from time to time so you could always buy some of the planes you are less interested in that way if money is tight..

Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry...

#3 tisfleshwound

tisfleshwound

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:38

Thanks for the reply.

I think I will just have to accept that a full planeset is unrealistic for me :lol:

Ultra+Both bombers= $90 + $30. Way more than I can pay for a full access to the fighters and bombers at the same time. And if I choose any other options, it will cost more than this to ever go to a full planeset in the long term.

Even ICE+both bombers= $50 + $30. Which is at the high end of my budget still. If I do get RoF I will still be missing many dollars worth of fighter, but atleast have the bombers.

Basic+both bombers= $40 + $30. So at the cheapest its $70 for 4 fighters and the 2 bombers. Not a chance im going to pay that much and yet still feel like im in a demo…

I might just leave it and check the web from time to time to see if a new ultra package comes out or what happens over time. Only on day two of the demo might get tired of it yet and dont want to go rushing into anything.

If I buy just 1 plane will it work with the demo. Im thinking I might just buy a camel and leave it at that, but I need a license?

#4 Chill31

Chill31

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:42

Get ICE and one bomber…let it simmer for a while and then see what you want next

#5 =MFC=Gunloon

=MFC=Gunloon

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:51

I don't think the ultra pack will ever include bombers or two seaters, though I have no certainty…but I'm pretty sure it's meant for scouts.

As Flashy indicated, every plane in ROF has a markedly individual personality. A few are a bit suspect in performance but the devs are well aware of perceived discrepancies and if there's enough data will likely overhaul a couple of flight models eventually.

I have all of them, most purchased at full price, and enjoy each to one degree or another. It's difficult to advise you on what planes are 'best,' mind you. Do you like the earlier, more primitive flight experience, or the snappier performance of the late war scouts? Do you like the strategic element of bombing? The bombers fly exactly as I expected, heavy, slow, underpowered and twitchy…love 'em along with the so called early 'crap' planes :lol:

One thing I've been comfortable with all along- 777 treats its customers well. Not only do they work constantly to improve the sim and flying experience through the updates, they've gone out of their way to help folks when needed, and have been nothing but forthright in their support and business model.

Speaking of, they have had several periodic sales, given loyalty rewards to earlier customers, all the while looking out for newcomers. ROF only had TWO flyable planes when I got it upon its NA release in 2009, and it was about 40 bucks. This was quickly upped to 4 flyables, but when ICE was released, aimed at new adopters, you got double the original's flyable planes for only $10 more than I paid. Factor in the occasional sales and they've made building up your hangar relatively painless while still assuring themselves of income. Considering all the tweaks and improvements since release (and they are many, believe it) that come at no additional cost, balanced against the fun I've had all along, and I for one feel I've gotten far more than my money's worth.

Flashy had good advice: start with ICE, then maybe ride along in a bomber or 2 seater (when those are released) to see for yourself how they fly…if you have any aviation instincts and/or experience you'll quickly get a feel for them even though you're not at the controls.

Add the occasional scout as budget permits, or wait for a plane sale…but foregoing too much for too long is just cheating yourself IMO, that's how different and engaging all these planes are. Most of the planes I have I paid full price for in order to get them as soon as they were available and have zero regrets; for the price of a fast food meal you get many hours of good flying with each. Even if you never spend a cent past the purchase price, you'll still have a lot on your plate to keep you busy with flying fun.

EDIT- I didn't even mention the upcoming revamped career mode, which looks to be most impressive and should keep the SP crowd happy for a long, long time. It too will come to you without cost and should add yet another great big dimension to ROF. It's taken longer to put together than originally anticipated, but even the most surly of sourpusses clamoring that they want it NOW would concur that it's worth the wait, because 777 wants to do it RIGHT and doesn't intend to release it prematurely. ROF has been, is, and I have no doubt will be in the future, quite a ride. Even at a minimal level you don't want to miss this one :mrgreen:

In short, my advice is to get ICE, get to flying, take your time and go from there…mainly, have fun!

=MFC=Gunloon

#6 =MFC=Gunloon

=MFC=Gunloon

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:11

If I buy just 1 plane will it work with the demo. Im thinking I might just buy a camel and leave it at that, but I need a license?

Nope, sorry, you can't purchase any planes until you have a license for the full sim. Not without reason: in theory you could then refuse to buy the sim and then claim they'd taken your money for something you now couldn't use, with the strategy to yell about it in hopes they'd just give you the full sim rather than chance hurting ROF's reputation.

Yeah, it'd take a real conniving sort of weasel to pull that, but 777 has to plan for all possibilities and not expose themselves to an exploit.

=MFC=Gunloon

#7 tisfleshwound

tisfleshwound

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:27

It would help if you told me that all the planes were the same, not totally different. :mrgreen:

I might just look for a cheap copy of ice on retail and leave it at that, like you say will have the single player in it so I can do the campaigns and you get 8 planes with that. might be able to get it off amazon on a deal.

#8 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:30

If you want something versatile (and slightly cheaper) you could get the DFW C.V instead of the bombers but it has not been released yet so you will have to wait.

#9 =MFC=Gunloon

=MFC=Gunloon

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:44

It would help if you told me that all the planes were the same, not totally different. :mrgreen:

Sorry, no dice.

Occasionally we see a howler here in the forums carrying on that all planes should be FREEEEEEEEE…apart from the spoiled brat mentality that disregards all the time and hard work that's gone into making these crates (and continues to) and assumes the devs' work should be free for the taking, I suspect most of these types assume there's some sort of generic plane model that gets new skins slapped on it from time to time and released over and over.

That idea is about as correct as the average politician is honest.

=MFC=Gunloon

#10 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:45

Get the ICE pack, see how ROF grabs you from there.

ICE is a bargain imo, makes all the iconic single seaters from 1917-18 flyable.

#11 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:57

Yes, best to get ICE: that will keep you busy for a long time. IF you're big multiplayer fan, however, you might find the ICE planes lack in the pre-1917 missions. So an Albatros D.II or a Sopwith Triplane might fix that.

Anyway, as others have said, there have been frequent sales in the aircraft store so that will be a good moment to complete your aircraft set. Perhaps in a month or two?

#12 tisfleshwound

tisfleshwound

Posted 25 February 2011 - 23:37

I see that the sopwith triplane isnt in the ultra pack either. So that would be another plane to get to make it a full planeset, its also one of the planes I would have liked to fly. Its getting close to $150 to start with all the planes. Its a definate no on the ultra upgrade and any chance of starting out with a full planeset.

I dont even know if I want to get ice just so I can do the same dogfighting as in demo just with those other fighters, feel put off completely now lol. Maybe when demo runs out I will have an urge to play some more and need to get ice who knows. anyway thanks for the help off to fly a bit.

#13 tisfleshwound

tisfleshwound

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:54

So I got interested in another sim but I will keep looking back here now and then to see whats happening but I wonder how many other potential players there would be online if the prices were something more realistic. Hell I would have bought it but I realised that if I cant justify those costs with my budget, not many others are either. so even if I did buy it I lose out. how many others have just walked away after seeing the "packages" and how much it all costs. Is that why there is only 3 servers and RoF veterens slaughtering the newbie servers all day because "omg a new demo guy" keeeeel him.

Bye!

#14 Feldarzt

Feldarzt

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:40

The last sale was $2.99.- per plane. Bombers were $5.99.- (I think).
The planes are well worth the price and it's like a collection you grow over time.
I never thought I would pay for dlc before. But in this case i really do like it.

Think of it as an expansion which comes in pieces ^^

#15 =MFC=Gunloon

=MFC=Gunloon

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:38

So I got interested in another sim but I will keep looking back here now and then to see whats happening

Why? you've obviously written off ROF.

I wonder how many other potential players there would be online if the prices were something more realistic.

Realistic? Have you checked the prices for DLC in FSX and other games and sims? At most, planes cost about as much as a fast food meal, bombers about two fast food meals, yet have provided me with uncounted hours of engaging, challenging fun. I take it you think you should decide what's reasonable, never mind the many hours of design, building and testing that go into each one…clearly unimportant factors to you since you're not the one who put all the sweat and care and effort in.

if I cant justify those costs with my budget, not many others are either. so even if I did buy it I lose out.

Ah, the 'I am the center of the universe' attitude, along with the fact that you've completely ignored my (and others') assurances that 777's periodic sales take the planes from cheap down to below dirt cheap status on a fairly regular basis…IF you stick around and pay attention to what's happening. S'OK, understood, you've got your mind made up and don't wish to be distracted by facts. Hey, since everything should be freeeeeee, how 'bout you come mow my lawn gratis? Sure, it's a lot of work, but I'm not the one doing it, so I don't wanna pay for it.

how many others have just walked away after seeing the "packages" and how much it all costs.

Probably quite a few, who like yourself, think 'everything should be freeeeeeeeeeeeeee' and whose shrill caterwauling will not be missed by ROF enthusiasts one iota, nor by the devs, I'm sure…leeches tend not to be fun customers.

Is that why there is only 3 servers and RoF veterens slaughtering the newbie servers all day because "omg a new demo guy" keeeeel him.

Bye!

Really? Just three servers? TWENTY FOUR by my count just at the moment. I'm betting you got your butt handed to you in the newbie server by an actual newbie in the first five minutes, and it got your panties in a bunch. If you were just an ordinary new ROF pilot, I'd tell you that everyone gets their butt handed to them at first, and often for quite a while thereafter. The solution, of course, is dig in and practice…but I expect that would be wasted advice in this case… :twisted:

If I got that sort of resentment over being shot down the first time, I'd probably still be sitting angrily at my keyboard, grousing and sulking while preparing for my shift at the local convenience store too…oh, wait, scratch that last, I had a real job in my healthy days :lol:

Whew…I don't usually go off this strongly, but then no one's pegged my Harsh-O-Meter out like this in quite a while. Congrats. Don't let the door smack your butt on the way out.

Bye!

=MFC=Gunloon

Attached Files

#16 catchov

catchov

Posted 07 March 2011 - 13:05

Well … it had to be said 8-) Glinting slit eyes and fingers twitching for the baseball bat aside :shock: I'd have to say I agree :)

#17 Ody

Ody

Posted 07 March 2011 - 14:07

The demo is just a demo guy. You miss out on the 10 skin files that open a whole new realm. All historical plane colors plus the personal skins of on line pilots are there. And yes….all the planes are very different in characteristics (flight, engine, etc,etc). Each one has it's advantages and disadvantages in flight. What you WILL notice is that the entire aircraft is damaged modeled. if you get a bullet , say, in the lower right side of your cockpit near you…you will actually see it there on the outside view (unless your in one of the ultra realistic servers…no outside view).
I noticed the other day that the second hand on the watch in the cockpit actually works as well. THAT is how detailed this sim is. Wait till you climb into the clouds to escape another plane……I did on one of the MP servers and found myself upside down, falling in a flat spin….2000 feet to my death, LOL.
Simply put…this flight sim is as real as it gets.

#18 tisfleshwound

tisfleshwound

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:07

gunloon you really know how to sell this for the RoF team,you were ranting about crap before I even decided, here from your previous posts. You helped me decide not to get it.

"Nope, sorry, you can't purchase any planes until you have a license for the full sim. Not without reason: in theory you could then refuse to buy the sim and then claim they'd taken your money for something you now couldn't use, with the strategy to yell about it in hopes they'd just give you the full sim rather than chance hurting ROF's reputation.

Yeah, it'd take a real conniving sort of weasel to pull that, but 777 has to plan for all possibilities and not expose themselves to an exploit."

"Occasionally we see a howler here in the forums carrying on that all planes should be FREEEEEEEEE…apart from the spoiled brat mentality that disregards all the time and hard work that's gone into making these crates (and continues to) and assumes the devs' work should be free for the taking"

you were already ranting, it obviously happens here a lot. you are a wonderful rep for RoF. Keep it up. I havent said they should be free. If you knew business you would know the wrong price can cripple it but whatever.

You must think this is my first flight sim. Thats fine. Except if it were I may have been stupid enough to buy it. This time im walking away.

What about PMs from people selling their account? Things are THAT good huh?

Thanks for the picture of a list of empty servers.

#19 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:32

gunloon you really know how to sell this for the RoF team,you were ranting about crap before I even decided, here from your previous posts. You helped me decide not to get it.

"Occasionally we see a howler here in the forums carrying on that all planes should be FREEEEEEEEE…apart from the spoiled brat mentality that disregards all the time and hard work that's gone into making these crates (and continues to) and assumes the devs' work should be free for the taking"

you were already ranting, it obviously happens here a lot. you are a wonderful rep for RoF. Keep it up. I havent said they should be free. If you knew business you would know the wrong price can cripple it but whatever.

You must think this is my first flight sim. Thats fine. Except if it were I may have been stupid enough to buy it. This time im walking away.

What about PMs from people selling their account? Things are THAT good huh?

Thanks for the picture of a list of empty servers.

While I am not getting involved in the spat I would like to point out that you dont NEED all the planes at once. In fact there is no point in buying all of them outright because you will not be able to enjoy them all at once anyway. Its like buying 30 hamburgers at once, you will only be able to eat maybe 2 and then you will be full. Same with the planes - 2 is more than enough to keep you satisfied for a long time and it will take you time to learn even those 2. The ICE version (as we have already said) has more than enough planes to keep you occupied for months, and it costs the same as any other game. If cost is really such a factor to you then wait for a sale. I say again YOU DONT NEED (and probably wont use) all the planes to begin with anyway, you will just be overwhelmed with trying to learn all of them.

Most of the people who buy all the planes do it to support development, not because we actually fly (or even know how to fly!) every plane. I own all the planes and I virtually never fly German aircraft. In fact, the only German aircraft I regularly fly are the stock standard DVII, which comes standard with every version of the game, and the EIII, which I just "like". I can count on one hand the number of times I have flown the others. So you dont need to get all the planes if money is tight, just buy the ones you actually think you will need. And in the long run its not expensive, hell you probably spend more money on toilet paper over a year than you will in RoF.

Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry...

#20 tisfleshwound

tisfleshwound

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:54

"Probably quite a few, who like yourself, think 'everything should be freeeeeeeeeeeeeee' and whose shrill caterwauling will not be missed by ROF enthusiasts one iota, nor by the devs, I'm sure…leeches tend not to be fun customers."

Yeah I was ready to buy the ultra package upgrade. Found out it wasnt so ultra. Needed another 40 to 50 dollars to make it ultra. and you think im a leech? start ranting at me about how I think it should be free?

Please take a look at your postings. Maybe the devs wish people like you would shut up?

#21 Chill31

Chill31

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:11

TFW, dont react too strongly to gunloon. its tempting, i know, but just let it go. If you are unhappy with the prices as they are, I recommend that you do keep checking back as they do have sales where you can get planes for 30% of the normal price.

To be honest, I think that older planes will ultimately have to drop in price permanently for the game to continue to grow. For example, a game that has been out for a year costs less than when it originally came out. After a couple of years, its very cheap. The same will have to happen to RoF aircraft or people like yourself will turn away at the very steep price for full entry into RoF.

#22 tisfleshwound

tisfleshwound

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:39

for the record I did well on the newbie server because of past sim experience but I am not blind when I see 10 people on one side and 2 on the other and a veteran at the top of the table with no deaths flying around in a swarm ganging the 2 spads. when asked they said they had nowhere else with people in it /facepalm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users