Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Dicta GIMP - your newbie guide to skinning or... (ENG/DEU)

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:00

Hahahaha! Sorry, though I think my written English is a thing I have quite refined by now, there are still some idioms one has to forgive me.

Mr-Michiel, listen to Panther. He's always helpful if there's something wrong with your submitted skin!

#42 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:52

why no sticky!!
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#43 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:08

why no sticky!!

Good point.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#44 SirFreddie

SirFreddie

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:00

Wallenberg what can I say … No other skinning program is as witty (tears in my eyes) and yet informative, cripes I've nearly got a skin to submit!!!!

:S!:

#45 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:34

Glad I could help! Remember, go through my recommended reading in the OP, otherwise things may not work out after submitting the skin.

#46 nickmas

nickmas

Posted 25 January 2012 - 15:04

Help: Quality loss issue

Hi. I've been playing around with skinning using this GIMP+DXTBmp method as I don't have photoshop, and when I view the plane either with the viewer or in the game I see the image quality is degraded. The textures appear blockier. Is there anyway around this or is it the nature of the beast?

I seem to have pinpointed the loss occurring at the final save using DXTBmp, specifically this step:

'We select "Save As->DDS Texture". In the dialog, we choose AD5_JoshEcho.dds as file name and "DDS DXT5" as option. We save the .dds either directly in the respective directory (<your RoF folder>\data\graphics\skins\AlbatrosD5\AD5_JoshEcho.dds) or in a working folder (and then copy it to the aforementioned folder).'

To confirm this I opened a default skin in DXTBmp and then immediately saved it as "Default2" for comparison. The result was still blockier.

EDIT/UPDATE: I changed the procedure and now it works, quality is fine although the color is still just a bit off. Anyway… I edited the .psd in Gimp and kept it as a .psd. Then I opened the .psd with DXTBmp, imported the alpha layer I made previously, and then saved as DDS DXT5 from there.

#47 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 27 January 2012 - 23:04

There is some kind of compression done in the DDS conversion algorithm, I think, but I just checked the options in DXTBmp and those you quote here are correct - at least they worked for my skins so far.

Is it a real game killer? Are they distorted/blocky as if they were broken or is it just lower quality all over the skin?

Are your settings in Rise Of Flight correct ("Textures" can be set to Low/Medium/High)?

#48 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:02

to confirm, yes there is a loss of quality. quite noticeable for darker skins where you can see green and purple banding.

you can test this by using the dtx5 preview feature of dxtbmp and it'll show up quite clearly. you can use 16bit dithering to mitigate the problem. but you'll just get the same effect spread throughout the whole plane rather than darker areas.

edit: tried the above workaround, the green blocks and banding is still there unfortunately.

#49 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:03

EDIT/UPDATE: I changed the procedure and now it works, quality is fine although the color is still just a bit off. Anyway… I edited the .psd in Gimp and kept it as a .psd. Then I opened the .psd with DXTBmp, imported the alpha layer I made previously, and then saved as DDS DXT5 from there.

I'm quite at a loss, it's been over half a year since I laid hands on skinning.
Try one more thing: Instead of altering the brightness of the skin, create a layer, completely black, mode set to "Multiply", and tune it down to between 33-50% opacity.
I'm fishing in the dark here.

I remember having similar problems with my first skin, but can't quite remember if it was when I still used the DDS plugin for GIMP, which is sadly a failure on its own.

#50 Fritz_Kempf

Fritz_Kempf
  • LocationSouth Korea

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:38

Great information, I hopefully will be painting in the near future.

One issue though, when DXTBmp sends the DDS to Gimp it is in grayscale and only one layer. I can't find away to turn grayscale, or is this an error in uploading the DDS?

As for layers, as I see in the screen shots, is that all manually created? Selecting and adding layers?

Thank You

ribbonrack.gif

"kennscht mi noch?"

#51 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:26

What you are talking about, ThumperGI, is the "Alpha" layer. It contains information about transparency and reflection in a .DDS file. And yes, this information per pixel is mapped/represented as grayscale. This has nothing to do with the template .PSD file; you are just adding that information to it.

So the whole Photoshop file consists of multiple layers of paint, weathering, structure and whatever plus the Alpha layer that tells what spot of this image will be glossy, matte or transparent.

I can't find the text right now, but in this Forum section should be an explanation of the exact values in the Alpha layer to create the desired effect.

#52 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:15

I can't find the text right now, but in this Forum section should be an explanation of the exact values in the Alpha layer to create the desired effect.

That info is contained in the user manual that comes with each of the templates - excerpt pasted in below:

• 0-26 - Drawing holes in the surface. Regardless of the alpha channel value (in this range), a hole is drawn:

• 27-51 - diffuse texture colored surface, which has no reflection, no highlights. In this alpha-channel value range texture is slightly lightened:

• 52-102 - values that manage higlight amount (from minimum to maximum). Surface has only highlight and does not have any reflection:

• 103 – 152 - the values that manage the transition from gloss to reflex surface properties (gloss is fading from maximal to minimal values and the reflex is simultaneously increasing from minimal to maximal value - chrome surface). The surface has a highlight and reflection at the same time:

• 153 – 203 – the values that manage reflex level (from maximal to minimal . Surface has reflection attribute only:

• 204 - 228 - diffuse texture colored surface, which has no reflection, no highlights. In this alpha-channel value range texture is slightly obscured:

• 229 - 253 - drawing holes in the surface. Regardless of the alpha channel value (in this range), a hole is drawn

• 254 – 255 – system reserved values, not used in texture design

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#53 Lince7722

Lince7722

Posted 31 October 2012 - 23:22

Nice tutorial Wallenberg, very very useful.

#54 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:35

Thank you very much, Panthercules, thank you Lince, but currently this tutorial is not kept up to date, and there have been addressed some quality issues with the exporting process. I do not have a solution to this at hand.

#55 ThomasWolf

ThomasWolf

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:13

Hello still active?

#56 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:30

Hello still active?

Not very, at this point.  Given the work the devs are doing on Flying Circus (basically a reboot of RoF on the more modern BoX engine/game system), it seems unlikely that they will be issuing any more skin packs for RoF, so skin production has kinda tapered off around here it seems.

On the other hand, the methods for making your own skins hasn't changed for RoF in quite a while, so for the most part all the previous materials/tutorials on how to make RoF skins using PhotoShop or GIMP should still be applicable.

#57 ThomasWolf

ThomasWolf

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:04

Anyone have any good techniques for making a swirl on the nose cone?

#58 ThomasWolf

ThomasWolf

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:05

Not very, at this point.  Given the work the devs are doing on Flying Circus (basically a reboot of RoF on the more modern BoX engine/game system), it seems unlikely that they will be issuing any more skin packs for RoF, so skin production has kinda tapered off around here it seems.

On the other hand, the methods for making your own skins hasn't changed for RoF in quite a while, so for the most part all the previous materials/tutorials on how to make RoF skins using PhotoShop or GIMP should still be applicable.

Thanks. Ive just been wanting to make my own skins for personal use

#59 ThomasWolf

ThomasWolf

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:13

Im fallowing this as best i can but the skin doesn't even show up in the available paint schemes list in game

#60 ThomasWolf

ThomasWolf

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:25

So i can get it to show up in the bin viewer but the option still doesn't show up in the in game selection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users