Photo
- - - - -

Infantry

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#81 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 07 April 2012 - 13:48

Lets hope that there will be a SDK to model objects, static to start. It is rather lonely now at the ground, maybe some static objects like a couple of mechanics repairing a plane in the hangar would be great.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#82 Wireless_Mouse

Wireless_Mouse

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:48

If you put machine gunners at the trench would they shoot at anything? Is there any unit that a mission planner can put out in no mans land for no other purpose than to draw the MG's fire?

I'm thinking occaisional tracer fire between the trenches would look cool and add immersion. Obviously you can't over do it or you'd have to hang onto your spats, cause its gonna get laggy! :lol:

What I'd like more than infantry would be some sort of abstraction of infantry which results in aircraft taking fire if they are too low to the ground. It's not about targets as much as it is encouraging (with bullets) more historical/realistic behavior from player pilots. It could be some sort of invisible zone rather than dozens of individual models spread out across a hopelessly long stretch of trenches.

#83 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:24

If you put machine gunners at the trench would they shoot at anything? Is there any unit that a mission planner can put out in no mans land for no other purpose than to draw the MG's fire?

I'm thinking occaisional tracer fire between the trenches would look cool and add immersion. Obviously you can't over do it or you'd have to hang onto your spats, cause its gonna get laggy! :lol:

Yes, this is pretty easy to do with the attack area MCU, and I have done it quite a few times in practice missions. The "problem" is that you cant really see it above 500ft, so nobody really notices it unless they are flying right on the deck over no-mans land. It basically just adds load to the mission with very little (if any) reward to the players, so this is probably why most mission designers dont bother with it.. A better trick, IMO, is to have checkzones which spawn machine gunners only when there is an enemy plane less that 500ft above the trenches. This does work quite well and definately gives the impression of a mass of troops opening up on you as you fly over the trenches, especially if you spawn 10-15 guns at a time! :P

Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry...

#84 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:59

Adding two or so MG's on either side, firing at eachother is actually a very good way to add immersion. The tracers are visible from a long distance.

#85 Badgerbrown

Badgerbrown

Posted 14 May 2012 - 19:39

And badgers :) It's been mentioned before. We simply must have them 8-)

Yeah, I must say Badghas would be cool.

Honestly though, would LOOOOOOOOOOOVE to have a 'LIVE' battlefield… would absolutely LOVE IT!

#86 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 15 May 2012 - 14:00

Adding two or so MG's on either side, firing at eachother is actually a very good way to add immersion. The tracers are visible from a long distance.

I hope this never happens.

Standard practice post-1916 was MG's were setup on secondary lines in interlocking fields of fire. They would not be firing accross no-mans-land at each other nor giving away their positions simply for the heck of it.

You would certainly not see much machine gun activity unless a daylight attack was occuring, and this should be quite rare.

We need occasional artillery blasts (which we have), flares at night, occasional tracers at night, and lots of wagons and troops marching to and from the trenches.

For the career, it would be amazing to fly missions during major offensives, then we would see massive bombardments and lots of tracer fire. This would bring the war to life.

#87 Badgerbrown

Badgerbrown

Posted 15 May 2012 - 14:51

We need occasional artillery blasts (which we have), flares at night, occasional tracers at night, and lots of wagons and troops marching to and from the trenches.

For the career, it would be amazing to fly missions during major offensives, then we would see massive bombardments and lots of tracer fire. This would bring the war to life.

One aspect sorely missing from RoF, IMHO, is the movement of gound troops. One of the things I expected was the ability to strafe the lines. But alas, there is nothing going on in those little "zippers" except mysterious ground fire that will get your @$$ shot off…

#88 M.H

M.H

Posted 21 June 2012 - 14:09

It would be nice to see people in town , right now it looks like a ghost town .

#89 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:09

Last night I put together a little mission depicting the first stage of the battle of Vimy Ridge, which involved the Canadians corps following a creeping barrage and supported by tanks. I used something like 60-80 field guns firing into a line of AttackAreas about half a mile long that move forward 100ft every 3 minutes, and I can tell you, it looks really good! Combined with the machine gun fire from the tanks and some machine gunners who spawn as the barrage moves forward, it really does look like a proper offensive action, especially from the air. Unfortunately, the performance is poor with this many objects and we basically hit the same old problem that we have always had: the number of objects required to even begin to make it look realistic is way beyond the game's object limit. :xx:

Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry...

#90 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:56

I think theat adding a group of infrantry or colons marching just like truck convoys would be gr8. U cann add several squads marching behend trucks or similar and it would be gr8. U dont need theat much infrantry , so no performance lost and it could add lots of immersion to the game. And maybe same units on airfields like sombady sead mehanics or somthing like theat and in same camps with tents. But we need to be petent and how nows what the devs will make with rof. I m not long here but i see the sim is geting beter and beter all the time.

#91 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 05 July 2012 - 15:01

just have good lod progression for the infantry. beyond a certain range they don't even need to be rendered.

#92 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 05 July 2012 - 23:06

:S!: I agree Rof is a very lonely place If it was not for us pilots that kepted this war going. I do not think that the war would have lasted 4 years. I have been killed 100,s of times and now want some targets to shoot in revenge. :lol: :x

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#93 M.H

M.H

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:19

I can make some crude looking people in the 3D animator called blender .

EDIT:For the people in trenches , not the ground crew , the ground crew need detail , I can make some crude horses and men that somewhat look like infantry and cavalry (like sprites or something)
That should not slow the computers too much ( or give the game a +18 certificate ).
EDIT2:We can have detail up close but they can look like dots from high in the sky and like sprites at high speeds .

#94 zachanscom

zachanscom

Posted 09 July 2012 - 16:46

the game already has crude infantry models(as drivers and flak/artillery crewmen and machinegunners). why don't they just use these as infantrymen?

and mh, no offense, but your models are insanely high detailed and ugly. they look kind of like artwork by schizophrenic people.

#95 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:26

I can make some crude looking people in the 3D animator called blender .

We know, we've seen your work. ;)

#96 hq_Overmax

hq_Overmax

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:11

We know, we've seen your work.
Dont be so harsh :lol:

Better blobs than nothing.

#97 M.H

M.H

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:01

We need something down there , Even sad face spheres will do for infantry , but we need something to bring the ghostly world to life !

#98 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:15

What would you want me to call it? wasn't quite screaming, was more like HUAH!

Huah is ouch in deer speak :lol:

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#99 cwmiforphill

cwmiforphill

Posted 11 July 2012 - 20:18

The sterility of the front line has been spoken about before. you can merrily cruise up and down the line at 50ft without a care in the world, in reality it seems to have been how many of the aces met their death, dropping down to low to provide a nice tempting target for any infantry fancy their chances.

#100 Manfred65

Manfred65

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:19

Agreed, down low something is missing. Not just infantry to shoot at. Would not even be my first priority.

More "flavour objects" for aerodromes for example. Occasional straw sheds between fields and the like. While beautiful to look at from above the ground at the moment is sterile.

#101 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:49

Maybe adding same trucks to the airfield , like gas truck and so would do the trick. But i would love to see same mehanics working on the planes on the airfield to. But maybe they tray it and it is hiting the performance , and maybe it is a lot of work to put all we wont and all the animation and such. But we cann allweys hope. They r working on the game evry day and makeing it beter and beter. So i say it is all posibole, just need to be patent and see.

#102 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 18 July 2012 - 21:08

Quick question:

Does anyone know of missions which have experimented with spawning large numbers of machine gun or trench objects along the front? What are the limitations to this approach (to building 'infantry-type targets without infantry')

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users