Photo
- - - - -

Infantry

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#41 BatOutOfHell

BatOutOfHell

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:40

I love this game i think it's fantastic, but when i first bought it and flew over no-man's land i was horrified to see the trenches totally empty with no activity whats so ever. It's as though the armistice has been signed and the war has already ended and everyone has gone home? I was even more horrified when i couldn't see myself in the cockpit,…lol. There are some good arguments for and against infantry but remember even RB3D had machine guns firing up at you if you got too close to the ground. Surely MG's could be added even if no large troop formations, thats into no-man's land not just around airfields etc. I just finished reading HIGH ADVENTURE by A.H. Cobby D.S.O. D.F.C. & Bars, fighter pilot in the Australian Flying Corps for those that don't know already. He said that if they didn't see any enemy planes while on patrol they would strafe the enemy trenches on the way back & once he said their patrol came across a large formation of german infantry making their way along one of the roads so they did a few strafing runs and watched the enemy scatter in all directions.
I was also going to add that i am a WW1 collector of uniforms and equipment so if anything ever does eventuate with this subject i can help with the research part and detail as i have most items they wore or coloured pictures of original items in regards to hats, caps, helmets, boots, gasmasks and webbing or leather equipment in regards to accuracy. Because as like the planes etc depending on what time frame the mission is the uniforms etc might not be correct in regards to equipment, helmets and uniforms changing like the planes as the war progressed and technology improved. Anyway just a thought,..i have access to what is needed for this to be historically correct which rof already is in the air. And said all in good fun, as mentioned by other members this could add to an already fantastic game, thanks neoqb and 777 it's a bloody ripper!

#42 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 13 March 2011 - 13:35

Since ROFs been out I've had this adea for a "troop colum" object.

It'd behave a bit like a slow moving train, but it'd look like there's a large number of guys marching. When attacked they could scatter from the edges of the column using sprites the same way Il2 does with some vehicles and buildings. It'd be fairly low intensity and quite effective I think. It'd be a way of getting what appeared to be large numbers of troops on the move without having them seperately hogging resources.

I do think the dev's are a bit concerned about raising the age rating of the game though. Letting us shoot animated soldiers on the ground would probably raise the age rating to 15, if it was horses then 18 apparently.

#43 Jojimbo

Jojimbo

Posted 11 May 2011 - 21:04

yes Mogsters idea is the best, imagine sprites like in the old version of medieval total war,not the new 3d version but the 2d sprites,remember this is for emersion from a height or fast low pass.
The sprites are arranged similar to total war, about 100 - 300 sprites arranged in order,along a "train length/width" encasing, when tey move along the trenches they point forward (::::::::::::::)-> most are static at the trench facing into no mans land but as you fly over, there is movement both ways in both side trenches.

When theres a big push, the train type model sprite faces side on (……………) and move across no mans land in a siimilar style to a roman legion cohort, you would see many of these lengths moving across no mans land, but dissappear into a "fog of war" you would not be able to strafe them, they would be for immersion only.

i think we could get past the censor with this.

would also like to see cattle, and sheep etc, hedgerows and fencing too.
no asphalt roads please, these need to go,
farm buildings are missing, and the occaisional chateau

when can we expect these things jason? :)

#44 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:43

I remember in BoB there were (stationary albeit) cattle in the fields, very effective I thought though.
I would think of not columns but just random people or not even that, heads with helmets for immersions sake, walking around the trenches, and if the mission has a big offensive going on then there coul be little running sprites like those suggested, I don't agree with the columns hanging around the trenches as that seems totally unrealistic to me but definitely on the roads, I agree that they should act like Total War units in movements, but not move in step.

#45 =FI=Nellip42

=FI=Nellip42

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:29

A couple of observations on this thread:

A definite +1 from me for infantry, from an immersion factor. I think that if we want to interact with infantry as pilots, that is attack them and have them fire back, then thats a big ask for the game engine. But for me the battle field always looks a bit "sterile" when I fly over it, in particular the area immediately behind the front. In the war this would have been a busy area with columns of troops heading into and away from the trenches. Some moving infantry would be great for immersion.

If you are going to have infantry for immersion, you really need horses. Whilst WW1 was not a cavalry war, most of the materials were moved by horse drawn transport. Area behind the front would have been full of horse drawn wagons.

#46 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:52

Wasn't infantry keeping their heads down in the trenches 99% of the time, waiting for the whistle to blow to get their heads shot off?

#47 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:55

Yeah and a lot of major troop movements were in the dark to prevent planes/balloons spotting them and calling in artillery.

There would have still been a helluva a lot of rifle and machine gun fire coming up at you for a few miles either side so getting low enough to see individual soldiers would have been bad for the health

#48 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:12

Wasn't infantry keeping their heads down in the trenches 99% of the time, waiting for the whistle to blow to get their heads shot off?

Not really.

The British army only kept the same units in the front lines for 7-15 days on average. They cycled units in and out all the time, and while the last bits were indeed usually at night, we would still see tons of troop columns, supply wagons, etc, going to amd from the camps, local towns.

Wouldnt it be amazing to have some sort of automated system that would send such cloumns to and from the camps to the towns as you fly around?

If an aircraft was stupid enough to fly that low over enemy trenches they would shoot at it.

#49 Zoring

Zoring

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:18

As a person who can already run ROF maxed out i say Yes! for infantry.

I hope in the future it's something that can be added although i can see for now the graphical burden being too much.

One day i hope. Ever since my first flight sim Knights of the Sky i flew over the trenches, and desperately wanted to see little men on the ground firing, fighting and most importantly scurrying for their lives when i came swooping in machine guns blazing.

#50 redbaron1917

redbaron1917

Posted 10 June 2011 - 16:03

At least have them in the Aerodromes!

#51 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 10 June 2011 - 16:20

It isn't just infantry that's missing. The whole bloody armies are missing.

Where's the artillery (WWI was an artillery war when you get right down to it).

The supply columns. The ammo dumps. The repair depots.

The RoF landscape is astonishingly sterile. Painted black lines for trenches? Really?

Compare it to Falcon 4.0 (a 1998 sim) in which an entire ground war was going on below you and you could see it! Much of it was in sprites but it was there.

Now that we have bombers, we needs stuff to bomb.

Good thread!

I hope someone up there is listening!

:S!:

HT

#52 Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Hvy_Cavalry_Sgt

Posted 10 June 2011 - 17:44

It seems like ground attack missions against troop columns and concentrations were a pretty important part of the air war IRL. On that basis alone, I'd like to see missions against that sort of target included. Not that I am actually looking forward to flying low over heavily defended areas, but it would help keep our virtual experiences comparable to what real pilots had to contend with.

#53 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 18 June 2011 - 17:27

I seem to remember one of the 777 team saying that the troops and horses that we saw in the old GT days were taken out because of age rating problems, especially the horses. Apparently head shotting humans in video games is OK but animals, no way, shooting animals gives you a straight 18 certificate.

Even if ROF was given an 18 certificate, would it matter?

#54 Millst0ne

Millst0ne

Posted 18 June 2011 - 17:59

I seem to remember one of the 777 team saying that the troops and horses that we saw in the old GT days were taken out because of age rating problems, especially the horses. Apparently head shotting humans in video games is OK but animals, no way, shooting animals gives you a straight 18 certificate.

It wouldn't really. Very few minors(me :mrgreen: ) are gonna buy ROF. They're all playing COD. (not me :? :mrgreen: ) COD is 18+ and look at who buy that. I was at my friends house, And he was playing COD. 90% of the people on comms were 10 yr olds.

#55 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 18 June 2011 - 23:32

Could it be possible to have infantry in static like trees look like (maybe 2D :? ) for a start??

Could be an option too, for low computers!

Come on 777!! :D

#56 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 19 June 2011 - 00:33

not just infantry :lol:

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#57 redbaron1917

redbaron1917

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:15

We vant the infantry! :lol: :0o: —We vant to shootenzie them from our Machines! :shock: ;) :P

#58 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:33

Nope, people could just buy it online and not off of the shelf. It could be rated for age 180+ and it would make no difference since there is no virtual store-keeper to ask you for ID.

I also remember deer hunting in Janes WW2 fighters, that was awesome, the crash physics rocked too.

#59 DonAndres

DonAndres

Posted 26 July 2011 - 23:09

If we can't have infantry, then make gunfire come from the enemy trenchs. Aside from the machine gun "vehicles", bolt action rifles should be firing from the trenchs at you if you fly too low. In essence, the trenchs have a weak defense, but cannot be destroyed.

#60 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 20 August 2011 - 15:27

Hardly a flight sim, although I do wonder who's engine and models it uses, but it does have animated infantry.

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"> … e=youtu.be

#61 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 20 August 2011 - 15:37

I really enjoyed playing that. As an arcade flying game it has a lot less bells and whistles than comparable games like Blazing angels, but it has a lot less bullshit too :). The story was especially good.

#62 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 20 August 2011 - 16:27

In the flashback he seems to be flashing back to flying my personal Sopwith Camel… :mrgreen:

Tom-Cundall 46 Squadron Camel (Personal Skin)

Must have great taste!

#63 cwmiforphill

cwmiforphill

Posted 20 August 2011 - 17:45

Not so much interested in infantry per-se as I think it will eat pc resources. But presently you can swan around just above the trenches and enjoy the view. In reality, this was a sure way to get shot down as every infantry soldier would take a shot. I would like to see this danger replicated - not necessary to showthe soldiers, just to have arcs of tracer emerging from the trenches.

#64 SYN_Tomslik

SYN_Tomslik

Posted 20 August 2011 - 18:47

Being able to see troops or infantry might be cool ?
but how much resource's will it eat up on your processor ?
I dont want stutters and lag on my end just to see some guy on the ground picking his nose

Falcon is still good ! but I dont remember seeing individual people on the ground.
(I flew Falcon 4.0 and allied force for 10 years)

as for WW2 fighters - I remember the deer , who remembers the Sasquatch running across the landscape.

#65 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 20 August 2011 - 19:07

#66 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 20 August 2011 - 21:16

After watching that trailer my position stays the same. Troops columns and horse drawn wagons/caisons would make this game epic.

#67 Kongo_Otto

Kongo_Otto

Posted 20 August 2011 - 21:26

Ok if they put Infantry into the Sim, then they should make it as real as it can be.
Make the Infantry attack and been cut down by the thousands by enemy Machinegun Fire and the Mustard Gas Clouds creeping over the Battlefield should be in the Sim also. Not to mention the Thousands of miles Barbed Wire which where between the trenches. At some locations the trenches should be nearer together, sometimes they were just 100 meters apart in real.
Real Arty Battles would be fine too, Arty Fire so intense that you can't see the enemy trenches anymore.
And off course the most important thing: make the Towns real as they appeared in WW1 for example Arras which was not a tiny little town like it is in the Sim!
Make it as it real looked:

But i think no actual PC could handle that and would collapse.

#68 Queeg

Queeg

Posted 21 August 2011 - 15:06

Here's how it would go:

777: New features for 1.022! We've heard you! Next update will add 100,000 soldiers to the front lines!

Forum Crowd: Woot!

(Weeks pass while 777 works away.)

Forum Crowd: When are they going to add new planes? And bricks! No 1914 campaign can be complete without bricks! We want bricks!

777: 1.022 update released, with 100,000 soldiers on the front lines as promised.

Forum Crowd: Woot!

(30 minutes later.)

Forum Crowd: I noticed when doing extreme zoom that the soldiers only have two shades of eye color - blue and brown. A little more variety would be nice!

(24 hours later.)

Forum Crowd: MAJOR BUG IN UPDATE! I notice that when I strafe the enemy soldiers, I get killed by ground fire a lot. This is no fun! And entirely unrealistic! I saw an interview on YouTube of a guy who flew Camels in WWI, and he says he never once was killed by ground fire! Could you make it so the soldiers don't shoot back? That would be more fun. Oh, and bricks! We need bricks! Thanks, 777!

#69 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 21 August 2011 - 15:13

That's how it's been with pretty much everything 777 have done so I'm sure you're spot that that will happen :D

#70 charlo

charlo

Posted 21 August 2011 - 15:52

Queeg, that's hilarious! (And I'm one of those would love to see more troops on the ground.)

That's how it's been with pretty much everything 777 have done so I'm sure you're spot that that will happen :D

And of course, don't forget the endless debates that would follow about human flight models ("bodies of troops hit by Vickers rounds would spin to the right, whereas those hit by Lewis rounds would spin to the left. I'm turning off the troops option until they fix that!"), incorrect rank insignia and colors on uniforms depending upon location and date during the war, whether we should include the strafing and killing of troops and horses and the effects of losing our "Rated E for everyone over 10 years old" rating if we did that…

But I do love this community's passion for (historical) detail! :D

Charlo
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake OC @ 4.8 GHz | Corsair Hydro H70 CWCH70 CPU Cooler with two Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm fans | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO motherboard | EVGA Titan X Hybrid GPU | G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB DDR4 3000 F4-3000C15Q-32GRK RAM | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD | CoolerMaster HAF 932 ATX Full Tower case |SeaSonic Snow Silent 750W Power Supply | Acer B6 Series B286HK ymjdpprz 28" 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) Monitor | Windows 10 Pro | CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Throttle Quadrant, CH Pro pedals, CH MFP, Track IR 5, Buttkicker Gamer 2 | ====== My original ROF rig (now used by visiting gunners): MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.66 GHz | 8 GBs RAM | NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB GPU

#71 frank61

frank61

Posted 21 August 2011 - 20:17

Well I think that if one chooses to play First World War it’s because he likes at least that “atmosphere” and what WWI setting is one without infantry? If I wanted fast speed, supershooting and so on I would have spent my time playing Lock on, Black Shark and things like that! But I’ve chosen Rise of Flight because I love “flying history” and the game offers great planes in a wonderful setting. So Troops columns and horse drawn wagons would be greatly appreciated to improve realism! Obviously as an optional game setting so dogfighters could leave them off and save their PCs cards.
PS more fronts more fun!

#72 I/JG53_Kurtz

I/JG53_Kurtz

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:42

In my opinion infantry and horse drawn wagons are mandatory for a simple reason:

They are targets! expecially for low altitude attacks historically done by Camels and German CL aircraft types (Halberstadt CL. II is planned for the future… :D ). In the latter type of AC, observers often threw hand granades on enemy infantry in the trenches. Artillery positions and trucks were rarer targets.

So: no infantry no targets!

#73 flapping-brown

flapping-brown

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:37

its a long way back but i thought i saw artillery guns and men around them in rof early days? tanks moving as well ……perhaps im missing out as i do see trains and convoys on roads in quick
missions but i must admit i havent tried campaigns for ages now due to having this views saga and sorting tir6 etc ,,,,,ongoing as well ….it must get sorted soon as running out of years lol
i would think a full attack with infantry tanks? and guns firing , horses, etc would take a lot of programming and puter power?….but yes it would be fascinating to watch.
not sure if it will be a drawback as most seem these days if playing rof have top of the range pc stuff ….my 6600 is on the lower limits but still giving nice viewing with a cheap 7900 card and 4mb xp pro.
the bulk of players seem to have an i5 at least so another leap in pc spec requirements may not make the users fall in numbers.
good thought anyway
best wishes to all
flapping brown

#74 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 24 February 2012 - 19:26

In my opinion infantry and horse drawn wagons are mandatory for a simple reason:

They are targets! expecially for low altitude attacks historically done by Camels and German CL aircraft types (Halberstadt CL. II is planned for the future… :D ). In the latter type of AC, observers often threw hand granades on enemy infantry in the trenches. Artillery positions and trucks were rarer targets.

So: no infantry no targets!

Well,indeed.IDK how was the use of attack aircraft in WWI and if it was common for planes to strafe trenches and soldiers in the open.But WWI aircraft didn't have poweful MGs like in WWII that could rip a light tank and halftraks open,so I guess they used it for other targets.

#75 BADMUTHA

BADMUTHA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 00:39

I've only read a few WW1 books but they always mention bombing soldiers in trenches, diving on MG nests and strafing marching soldiers on busy roads.

More ground units is a requirement if 777 wants ROF to be more than just a dogfight simulator.

#76 Acasto

Acasto

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:51

I've only read a few WW1 books but they always mention bombing soldiers in trenches, diving on MG nests and strafing marching soldiers on busy roads.

More ground units is a requirement if 777 wants ROF to be more than just a dogfight simulator.
+1 :x

#77 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:10

Hope we dont have to buy each soldier , cannon ,truck and tank if we ever get it . 3 million troops on the western front = $3 million :lol: Think I will need to get a second job :S!:

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#78 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:42

SDK=SoftwareDevelopmentKit
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#79 flapping-brown

flapping-brown

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:20

sure it would be nice but probably a lot of programming and maybe even more demands on our hardware?….yes i remember infantry advancing across fields in a ww1 sim cant remember the title.
we shot them they wouldnt die or fall down just advanced like indestructable militia lol ….it was only the trains that were destroyed …..the detail was firstclass though.
so yes some troops in the trenches to shoot would be great some machinegun nests on the parapets to aim at etc …trenches i think look too undetailed really but we cant have it all i suppose….the flak , shell bursts and clouds are excellent really but sim freaks want the impossible most of the time.
rof is really good im pretty happy with it as it is but if the devs can give us infantry with a lunch break program on the back of a fag packet all well and good riseofflight.com/Forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=348&t=17265#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">lolhttp://riseofflight.com/Forum/postin … 8&t=17265#
flapping brown

#80 =F25Trout

=F25Trout

Posted 05 April 2012 - 22:04

If you put machine gunners at the trench would they shoot at anything? Is there any unit that a mission planner can put out in no mans land for no other purpose than to draw the MG's fire?

I'm thinking occaisional tracer fire between the trenches would look cool and add immersion. Obviously you can't over do it or you'd have to hang onto your spats, cause its gonna get laggy! :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users