Fast Food Dogfight server

• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#1 =FB=Vaal

=FB=Vaal
  • Developer

Posted 31 January 2011 - 13:31

statistics
http://fastfood.riseofflight.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://fastfood.riseofflight.net/

Please leave comments about this server here.

#2 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 31 January 2011 - 13:43

It would be nice for quick dogfights especially because it's not an all planes vs all planes server which aren't my personal favorites. The only problem is that it's VERY laggy and thus so frustrating that I got pissed very quickly :?

#3 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 31 January 2011 - 14:29

Where's the server hosted? Generally, my connection there is just fine (from the US, east coast).

I like this particular server. Once in a while you actually get a group of people over 13 years old who will fly N.28's, D.XII's, and Dolphins. Mix in a few Sopwith Triplanes and various Albatros and you've got a recipe for great fun!

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#4 Der_Sevtl

Der_Sevtl

Posted 31 January 2011 - 15:02

I like the server, but it would be nice having limited Dr1s/Camels/Pups as most of the people flying there use this planes.

#5 hq_Peter_Zvan

hq_Peter_Zvan

Posted 31 January 2011 - 15:07

The server is quite good - just the dueling area is sadly on the edge of the map and over the ugly ground textures -> its a bit of a shame as mypenza.ru duel server was alway a great place to go to duel.
Plane set is ok for the fast food action - you can take whatever and have fun with it.

A few problems:
With 20+people it gets laggy.
Biggest problem of the server is the possibility to end flight mid air. It should be finish flight when landed only.

#6 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 31 January 2011 - 15:30

I did not find it laggy for the short time I was there but I did learn that the Syndicate server has ruined me for labels on servers!

#7 =FB=Vaal

=FB=Vaal
  • Developer

Posted 31 January 2011 - 15:32

It would be nice for quick dogfights especially because it's not an all planes vs all planes server which aren't my personal favorites. The only problem is that it's VERY laggy and thus so frustrating that I got pissed very quickly :?
was a mistake in the settings - channel 1mb, now switch 10Mb
Where's the server hosted? Generally, my connection there is just fine (from the US, east coast).

I like this particular server. Once in a while you actually get a group of people over 13 years old who will fly N.28's, D.XII's, and Dolphins. Mix in a few Sopwith Triplanes and various Albatros and you've got a recipe for great fun!
Russia, Penza
http://maps.google.r...ая область&z=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://maps.google.r...ps?f=q&source=s … D1%8C&z=11
I like the server, but it would be nice having limited Dr1s/Camels/Pups as most of the people flying there use this planes.
Now politics is such that every fly on his favorite airplane.
The server is quite good - just the dueling area is sadly on the edge of the map and over the ugly ground textures -> its a bit of a shame as mypenza.ru duel server was alway a great place to go to duel.
Plane set is ok for the fast food action - you can take whatever and have fun with it.
Now we turn off the dueling airfields. We need to think on their location.

A few problems:
With 20+people it gets laggy.
Biggest problem of the server is the possibility to end flight mid air. It should be finish flight when landed only.
was improperly configured network, now fixed, it is necessary to test

about "finish only on the ground"
I do not like it, but I'm think that one of the reasons why people are out there flying around. Or am I wrong?

#8 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 31 January 2011 - 16:01

I think people fly there because it offers quick action and it is often populated. The "finish flight" in the air thing is quite annoying and people do it a lot on the japanese server just before they get shot down, so it is a bit of a cheat really and lame as well.
J99 and CoCoS used to be popular and they did not allow to finish in the air either.

edit: thanks for setting it up btw :)

#9 =J99=Sizzlorr

=J99=Sizzlorr

Posted 31 January 2011 - 16:30

Maybe turn friendly icons off.

yedwwtfx.gif

#10 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 31 January 2011 - 16:44

+1 to Imp and Sizzlor's sentiments. Finish Flight requires landing, and no icons. Win.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#11 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 31 January 2011 - 17:24

If you follow the above (Jay's) recommendations you will have recreated the J99 server which was very popular up till the day it went away. I enjoyed popping in there from time to time to get some fast action!

#12 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 31 January 2011 - 18:29

Good point :)

I'd actually really love to see a few slight variations on "The Lake" mission in rotation there, tho:

1) "Clown Lake" with unlimited quantities of all types.
– Ground start for Camel, Dr1, D.VII(f) and SPAD and SE5a.
– Air start at 1000m for everyone else.
– Run two copies of this, summer and winter.

2) "Tier-2 Lake". None of the "tier-1" planes.
– No Camel, Dr1, D.VII(f), SPAD or SE5a.
– Unlimited for all other late-war types.
– Air-start at 1000m
– Summer map.

3) "Early lake." Nothing later than Alb D.III, but give the Entente the N.28 until the N.17 is fixed.
– Run this on the winter Lake, add some snow :)

What do you think, Vaal?

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#13 von_Semmel

von_Semmel
  • LocationGermany / Munich

Posted 31 January 2011 - 20:00

please limit dr1 pup and camel….

#14 =FB=Vaal

=FB=Vaal
  • Developer

Posted 31 January 2011 - 21:19

after setting up the network seems to get better, now lag only some players

About the changes I have already replied to the Russian forum.
The past few months, I always saw players in the Hungarian server (now in Japanese with the same settings and the mission) and the Syndicate.

Syndicate - fullreal and the flight of 30-40km to the enemy.
Hungarian (Japanese) server - just a fight, start in the air, many types of aircraft without limit.

Server like CoCoS where no need to fly 30km to the enemy, but do not start in the air and unlimited aircraft - most of the time empty.

Now I am "afraid" to change many things at once, suddenly the server will again be empty, but why is unclear. Ie I think that will change, but gradually, so that in case of an "empty server" i can track the cause.

#15 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 31 January 2011 - 21:24

Sounds reasonable to me.

Maybe I'll knock out the missions I described and ask Molsy to run them on the IRFC Dogfight server for a week or two, and see if they catch on :)

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#16 Laser

Laser

Posted 31 January 2011 - 22:02

What i'd see as a nice 'fast and furious' training dogfight server would be close to what Jasta 99 had, with these changes:

- custom airfields, set between those which are currently now on the Lake map (not so close, but not so far , between them), start from ground and you have to fly for 5 - 10 minutes.

- limited good planes 'at one time' (e.g. 3 camels), but replenish them fast actually. So those with patience will loose time and wait for their favourite mount, others will choose something else. Or put those good planes on the far aerodromes.

- better AAA at dromes. As they are a little far from the lake, no problem hitting planes over the lake.

#17 spitfirem

spitfirem

Posted 31 January 2011 - 22:09

I had a lot of fun in the fastfood server this evening.
I started with 1 other player and after 1 dogfight people started to connect, so within 5 minutes it was a huge dogfight from 8 vs 9 mostly dr1s and camels.
Maybe there were a little bit too much dr1s and camels compared to the other aircraft.
In the Verdun map I flew with noony in a Handley Page.
Maybe tomorrow in the gotha!
And I made some epic crashes, I was set on fire then I crashed my camel into the curch :lol:
When I was pursuid by 3 dr1s I did some loops and turns so they collided with eachoter 8-) .
There wasn't a lot of lag like in the newbie server.

#18 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 01 February 2011 - 00:56

Keep allied vs central, very much better than corsairs all planes.
Friendly icons not needed - identification based on profile is now possible.
Finish on the ground please.

If you want to get people back in - put an AI plane respawning on each side. When the server is empty, someone will come and shoot the AI plane while they wait. Then when others see someone in there they will join.
Also having an AI plane there all the time makes it interesting and you have to watch your 6.

Ping is 450 for me, so I had bad lag problems - but I will try again with the new settings.

#19 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:53

I really liked the J99 server.
I like to fly the planes that are fun to fly. If there arent any available, then I likely wont fly…tho sometimes I'll try the "less than fun" planes…but I think this is a killer for any server. People want to fly planes they enjoy.

#20 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:34

Flying non tier 1 is still fun! In fact more so, but it's hard to do against a flock of almost all tier1 enemies.

Jay- for these lake furballs the D7f SE5 SPAD set are not tier 1, I think they need larger maps and bounce opportunities to be tier 1. And the D7f needs enemies at higher altitude as well it has trouble against camels on the deck.

Even though I'm an SE5 and SPAD flier mainly, on these maps the times I have tried camel I get lots more kills. Even Dr1 too. Of course it's different on a large historical map I do better hunting with a BnZ plane - but lake with finish flight option is highly favouring the turner planes.

So any non tier 1 map should keep D7f vs SE5.

I think a non tier 1 could be good as the new guys can actually compete using their albies. Normally the albies geteaten alive by camels.

#21 nevel

nevel

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:52

Nice server, simple map, all planes, no limits. Just as a fast food server should be! A good alternative to all other servers with limited planes, map circulation etc.
The only thing is the ESC button! Landed only will be better, it takes away a lot of frustration among some players…

#22 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:24

Nice server, simple map, all planes, no limits. Just as a fast food server should be! A good alternative to all other servers with limited planes, map circulation etc.
The only thing is the ESC button! Landed only will be better, it takes away a lot of frustration among some players…

Same here!

#23 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:24

and also here…

#24 hq_Peter_Zvan

hq_Peter_Zvan

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:36

And no friendly icons would be good as well with the current planesets.

#25 hq_Overmax

hq_Overmax

Posted 01 February 2011 - 13:47

It's a good server for some quick action. I really enjoy flying there even though it's sometimes a bit laggy for me. No plane restriction please. it's basicly Camel vs Dr.1 vs Dr.1 but is that so bad? There are some people flying with an n28 or a Spad in between.

Just one thing that bothers me is that you can end flight while flying. Lots of douches abuse that why not landed only?

#26 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 01 February 2011 - 14:05

Jay- for these lake furballs the D7f SE5 SPAD set are not tier 1, I think they need larger maps and bounce opportunities to be tier 1. And the D7f needs enemies at higher altitude as well it has trouble against camels on the deck.

Well, my reasoning for the "Tier Two Lake" mission would be to introduce some great match ups that you just never see. The other night, I had a blast fighting Sopwith Triplanes in a Pfalz D.XII. Dolphin versus D.VII or D.VIII is another great match you hardly ever see. N.28 is a fantastic match up against Albatros that we used to see all the time, but is now a scarce encounter..

Basically I've tired of the Camel vs Dr.I tornado over the water ;) Yes, they are the best tools for that job, but if you level the playing field, suddenly the game is still fair – just a bit more realistically paced. People start flying a little more carefully, choosing their opportunities a little more wisely, and flying some planes that are a bit more challenging and interesting.

Also, I was only suggesting this as part of the rotation. I think that the server should still keep the clown wagon demo derby mission (but, as I mentioned, give tier 2 planes an air start and let the clowns start on the ground and get bounced). But rotate through a few variations of The Lake, like I said. So you end up with Camels and Dr.I's for 2 out of the 4 missions, tier 2 for 1/4, and early planes for 1/4. And mix in the winter texture set for some added variation.

Just my $0.02.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#27 hq_Peter_Zvan

hq_Peter_Zvan

Posted 01 February 2011 - 14:27

Well yesterday there was a furbal over Verdun map on and it was really cool.
That sure gave it some variation and I had great fun fighting there.
And for variation - often taking the lesser planes against the top furballers is really interesting and can be almost as effective as taking a great turner.
Limmiting the DR.I, Camel and Pup will already make it much more interesting as far as plane variations go.

#28 Huetz

Huetz

Posted 01 February 2011 - 14:30

Good to at least see a DF server back that has central vs allies!

One thing I noticed Vaal: When there's more than 20 players on, there are still occasional lagspikes for a couple of seconds.

#29 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 01 February 2011 - 14:41

Well yesterday there was a furbal over Verdun map on and it was really cool.
That sure gave it some variation and I had great fun fighting there.
And for variation - often taking the lesser planes against the top furballers is really interesting and can be almost as effective as taking a great turner.
Limmiting the DR.I, Camel and Pup will already make it much more interesting as far as plane variations go.

I'd agree with a limit and variation but when I'm flying BnZ I actually like the TnB wizards being there. The problem with removing popular planes from a server is that their fans often disappear with them so we need a careful balance.
Cheers.

#30 spitfirem

spitfirem

Posted 01 February 2011 - 15:02

The finish in flight is getting abused quite a lot,
It happend 4 or 5 times that when I was on someones 6 he just dissapeared!
it even happend once when I shot his wings of, I didn't get the kill :x
so maybe finish flight only in landing would be better, you can always aim your plane at the deck and pull up at the last second or something, if you would like to another plane.

#31 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 01 February 2011 - 21:09

Jay - some good points, it would be nice to get more use out of the full hangar.

Sad part is we could lose some players to corsairs.

Vaal if you ask VikS to recommend turning stats off when finish flight on ground not ticked, then I think you won't have any problem anymore :) If it's required for stats the stat lovers will just accept it and live with it they will still join. At the moment it is abused and kill death ratio means nothing.

#32 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 01 February 2011 - 21:11

Also finish flight only landed with only 1 second delay works good because you can crash land in the water, gives the enemy a kill but you also get a chance to swim to shore ie finish flight before drown.

#33 Josh_Echo

Josh_Echo

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:40

Right now one of the missions has no Sopwith Camel, Sopwith Pup, or Fokker Dr.I. Which is good (I have a mission like that also; it's nice to sometimes give the energy fighters a chance). Problem is, this mission on Fast Food has the Fokker D.VIIF. Especially given the low-altitude etc., this means that the German side completely dominates the Allies.

Fokker D.VIIF, of course, is absolutely superior in a dogfight to all of the Allied aircraft in the mission. And even in boom-and-zoom energy fighting, it can quickly turn the tables. About the only thing that the SPAD XIII and S.E.5a can do against the Fokker D.VIIF is refuse to engage. The D.VIIF is very nearly as fast on the deck and faster at higher altitudes.

So I urgently recommend removing the Fokker D.VIIF from this mission, giving the Allies a chance. It'll still be plenty hard for them to get kills in this dogfight environment against Albatrosses, Pfalz D.IIIa's, and regular Fokker D.VIIs. And the Pfalz D.XII is a decent energy fighter, too.

#34 Bilbo_Baggins

Bilbo_Baggins

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:24

I really like O_TaipaN's idea of an AI plane cruising around. I saw Poet on alone so I jumped on, but he was afk. Some guy joined and choose the same team as me, so I just started flying in formation with him (I think it annoyed him) :lol: . I can understand why you rotate out the DR1 and camel, but I notice a lot of people leave, then come back when those planes rotate back in. Anyway, great server :D

#35 SAS

SAS

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:44

Fokker D.VIIF, of course, is absolutely superior in a dogfight to all of the Allied aircraft in the mission.
no, it's not superior to all allies.
i can out-turn it in my sop-trip.

#36 hq_Overmax

hq_Overmax

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:47

I fly on the Fast Food because of the Dr.1 and the Camel. Sometimes i just need brainless shooting in tight turning planes with no thinking about tactic or whatsoever. Great step that not both planes re on both sides and that player names not get displayed anymore. But it was wrong to take out the Dr.1 and Camel. I mostly fly Handely Page in these missions because they are so boring or unbalanced.

#37 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:01

Fokker D.VIIF, of course, is absolutely superior in a dogfight to all of the Allied aircraft in the mission.
no, it's not superior to all allies.
i can out-turn it in my sop-trip.

You are really annoying with that thing :mrgreen:

I fly on the Fast Food because of the Dr.1 and the Camel. Sometimes i just need brainless shooting in tight turning planes with no thinking about tactic or whatsoever. Great step that not both planes re on both sides and that player names not get displayed anymore. But it was wrong to take out the Dr.1 and Camel. I mostly fly Handely Page in these missions because they are so boring or unbalanced.

It does give you an opportunity to fly one of the "lesser" planes though, for example on monday I flew the D.VII and you can see many people pushing their Dolphins out of their sheds.

Btw, I think the HP 0/400 is "uber" in those missions :mrgreen:

Especially given the low-altitude etc., this means that the German side completely dominates the Allies.
Fokker D.VIIF, of course, is absolutely superior in a dogfight to all of the Allied aircraft in the mission. And even in boom-and-zoom energy fighting, it can quickly turn the tables.
I usually see the entente side win.

The D.VIIF is a very good plane but it has it's limitations, it can't follow a rolling S.E.5a so while it tries to follow an entente team mate has to shoot it down. You can't rely to win on your own all the time.
The rambo mindset of the central flies usually make them charge into numerous enemies and get killed.

#38 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:08

The mission without Camels and Dr1's is absolutely brilliant. It has a great dynamic in it and the fights are very enjoyable, and not at all dominated by one planetype.

#39 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:10

Forgot to add, thanks for turning on "finish only when landed" and for turning off the icons Vaal :)

#40 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:43

Forgot to add, thanks for turning on "finish only when landed" and for turning off the icons Vaal :)

Yes… this is becoming a really enjoyable server lately with the Uberturnfighters taken out… lots of boomers and zoomers around, and fights not always are found on the deck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users