Project #3 - Wind Direction Chart for Bombing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 27 January 2011 - 19:30

I'm a huge fan of the bombers and I enjoy bombing in ROF to a high degree, but most servers don't let you see the Simple Gauges that includes the wind direction which does affect the bombs on the way to the target. So, I would like to compile a spreadsheet that includes all the wind directions for proper bomb placement.

So let's make a chart for all 360 degrees and then later we'll compile it into something more useful for the fledgling bombadiers out there.

Where did my formula gurus run off to?

Jason

#2 SC/JG_Oesau

SC/JG_Oesau

Posted 27 January 2011 - 19:46

First thing to ask Jason. Wind direction, is it to be the wind from or the ME wind direction of the wind blowing to (personally I think it should be the wind from)?

#3 =FB=Vaal

=FB=Vaal
  • Developer

Posted 27 January 2011 - 20:34

Углочёт или Wind angle calculator

#4 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 27 January 2011 - 20:47

It isnt just about the wind direction though, it has to take into account the direction of the aircraft. At a glance I think this is going to have 360x360= 129600 entries right?

Level Bombing in Rise of Flight: A Guide

This thread is where Flashy has the PDF available for download. I think it also contains the program BeePee has already written that performs these calculations you are after if you don't want to do it mentally.

The problem I come across with this is trying to get excel to determine whether to make a correction to the left or to the right is required. Good luck Excel magicians :)

#5 Dooga

Dooga

Posted 27 January 2011 - 21:05

Wouldn't it be a good enough approximation to calculate in 6° steps? So you'd end up with more manageable 60x60 = 3600 look-up entries. If it's going to be a precalculated table…

#6 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 27 January 2011 - 21:10

Nowt wrong with a plastic 360 protractor and the sheet at the end of my guide, thats what I mainly use (since I dont need to alt tab out to use BeePees calculator)

All you need do then is take note of the wind direction and speed and feed it in.

Beepees program also works well, especially as it has the speed and altitude conversion tables on as well.

#7 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 27 January 2011 - 21:15

Углочёт или Wind angle calculator

Hadn't seen this before, it looks like it does the same job as my calculator…but looking a lot better!

#8 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 27 January 2011 - 22:27

Ok yes, I forgot about all that stuff above, but still doesn't put all this into a spreasheet I can save and share with others. As I mentioned before I'm a data whore who wants to start with everything in a spreadsheet.

If we can figure out the Headings and Distances we can do it also for Wind directions. And by we I mean people better at math than I.

Again, I'm looking for the raw data to be worked with in some way later.

What Isay and BeePee have done are fantastic, but my requests are separate from what they have done already.

And Req you are right it is 360x360 and I do want wind direction as From not To.

Jason

#9 =69.GIAP=TUSHKA

=69.GIAP=TUSHKA

Posted 27 January 2011 - 23:29

Here is a spreadsheet of wind adjustments for five degree increments, plus a tiny calculator. None of this is nearly as impressive as BeePee's of course. This is much easier than calculating headings because no trig is involved. :)

NOTE: the formula in this file is WRONG. It gives incorrect results in one section of the table.

If you downloaded it, please delete it. :)

#10 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:36

Tushka,

Can you send me one with the formula intact? I expand it to all 360. Maybe it got erased when I opened with Excel?

Jason

#11 =69.GIAP=TUSHKA

=69.GIAP=TUSHKA

Posted 28 January 2011 - 18:04

Ah, I take it then that Microsoft still doesn't fully support Open Office formats. I had forgotten to convert it to Excel format. I'll attach a copy in Excel format for you.

However, you can't possibly read a compass in an airplane with a precision finer than 5 degrees, and + or - 5 degrees will still get you to your target unless you are flying enormous distances, and the little calculator will give you all the intermediate numbers if you want them… and by eyeballing the chart you can interpolate easily enough.

Sometimes less data is more useful than too much. We aren't rewriting the Chemical Rubber Handbook of Physics and Chemistry mathematical tables here. ;)

Hold on, I just spotted an error in my calculations. Be back in a few minutes.

OK, here we go with a corrected edition. Sorry 'bout that! Haste makes waste!

Attached File  wind adjustment (excel).zip   86.83KB   62 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users