- - - - -

RoF & Win 7 & Core 2 Duo tweak

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 Spudkopf

Spudkopf

Posted 30 May 2011 - 22:16

G'day All

This is my first posting on these forums and I'm probably opening my account here with what maybe a very stupid question?

First a little bit of background: I have owned ROF for quite some time, however I had decided to hold off on this installation until I had installed Win 7/64 and was able to utilise more ram. I finally got around to installing ROF earlier this month and from the get go I noticed some stuttering (the stuttering I suffer is not so much a game killer, but can be an emersion killer), I put this down to only having 4GB of ram so I bumped this up to 8GB hoping this would end the issue, but alas as I now know this problem is actually related to my core 2 duo CPU.

I am yet to try the tweak associated with this and other threads as I wanted to ask my stupid question before doing so, I currently have an E8500 core 2 duo CPU and as I am restricted to a 775 socket I was considering an upgrade to say a Q8000 or Q9000 series core 2 quad (that’s if I can find or afford one).

My question is would installing a Q series CPU go any way to bypass the duo issues or do the duo an quads in the core 2 family suffer the same problems?

Spud

#42 BSS_DrGlow

BSS_DrGlow

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:13

G'day All

This is my first posting on these forums and I'm probably opening my account here with what maybe a very stupid question?

First a little bit of background: I have owned ROF for quite some time, however I had decided to hold off on this installation until I had installed Win 7/64 and was able to utilise more ram. I finally got around to installing ROF earlier this month and from the get go I noticed some stuttering (the stuttering I suffer is not so much a game killer, but can be an emersion killer), I put this down to only having 4GB of ram so I bumped this up to 8GB hoping this would end the issue, but alas as I now know this problem is actually related to my core 2 duo CPU.

I am yet to try the tweak associated with this and other threads as I wanted to ask my stupid question before doing so, I currently have an E8500 core 2 duo CPU and as I am restricted to a 775 socket I was considering an upgrade to say a Q8000 or Q9000 series core 2 quad (that’s if I can find or afford one).

My question is would installing a Q series CPU go any way to bypass the duo issues or do the duo an quads in the core 2 family suffer the same problems?

Spud

You are in luck my friend. I played this Sim from the start and up to a year ago flawlessly on a Q6600 you should be good to go on a Q series

PS. I up graded to an i7 for reasons not related to ROF :S!:

#43 Spudkopf

Spudkopf

Posted 31 May 2011 - 20:52

G'day BSS_DrGlow

Thanks for the info, now all I have to do is find a decently priced Q9000 or Q8000 series CPU, however at first glance they seem a tad thin on the ground down here, but it's only early days in my search.

Spud

#44 O_Dingo77

O_Dingo77

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:23

G'day Spud,
To give you hope I will explain my set up. I have an E8400 3gb core 2 duo, P45 motherboard, 9800gt 1gb video card and 6gb ram. I have Win7 64bit operating system. No stutters at all. Why? I cannot say because when I first changed from Win XP to Win 7 I was plagued with stuttering. I only had 2gb ram and then one day I reversed the sticks of ram and voila, no more stuttering. Why, I don't know.
Now I have 6gb ram and when I installed that all stayed smooth until… I bought a Logitech Momo force feedback steering wheel for Iracing. If I leave that connected after racing and try to fly ROF the stuttering returns. If after I finish racing I remove the wheels usb connector and reboot and start ROF the stuttering is gone and all play is smooth. Why?… I don't know. My flight control is all NON FORCE FEEDBACK Ch products.

#45 Spudkopf

Spudkopf

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:05

G'day Dingo

Your system almost mirrors mine, I to have a GB P45 motherboard with a GF 9800GT video and my Joystick, Throttle and pedals are all CH.

Sadly thus far the more I try to tweak my settings in the start-up screen the more stuttering I seem to be getting?

No luck tracking down a Q series CPU as of yet, however I still think such an acquisition will not only extend my systems life for maybe a year or two but hopefully also let the rest of my system take better advantage of what this sim has to offer visually.

Spud

#46 GeorgeBoles

GeorgeBoles

Posted 02 June 2011 - 13:52

Hello Chaps.

I have the usual story: dual core Intel, Win 7 64 bit.
Run rofboost.exe as administrator via a shortcut.
Start a quick mission of rof.exe.
Do not pause
Alt Tab to Desktop
Set Affinity 1

BUT I cannot then get back into Rise of Flight either with Alt-Tab or using the tag in the taskbar.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
George

#47 Spudkopf

Spudkopf

Posted 02 June 2011 - 21:12

Hello Chaps.

I have the usual story: dual core Intel, Win 7 64 bit.
Run rofboost.exe as administrator via a shortcut.
Do not pause
Alt Tab to Desktop
Set Affinity 1

BUT I cannot then get back into Rise of Flight either with Alt-Tab or using the tag in the taskbar.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
George

G'day On my rig if you alt tab out of the game and then attempt to get back in via the taskbar there is a long delay but it evetually gets back in.

Alternatively I have also used the go to function in task manager to get back in but again there is a delay with this method also.

Spud

#48 Laser

Laser

Posted 02 June 2011 - 21:45

Alt-Tab and set affinity when in RoF, but BEFORE starting any mission. In this way you should be able to alt-tab back to RoF.

#49 GeorgeBoles

GeorgeBoles

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:46

Thanks Gabi and Spud.

I think that it seemed to work if I set affinity before starting a mission, Gabi, so I will re-try that. (I was worn out after installing and setting up my first new operating system for 10 years … XP => Win 7, but I don't believe I was hallucinating in the wee hours.)

(Spud, when I did it from within a game, I had the klaxons blaring the whole time for a scramble but no way back in, even after about 15 minutes of sirens … not even I could wait that long!)

Salute,
George.

#50 GeorgeBoles

GeorgeBoles

Posted 07 June 2011 - 00:13

Hi Gabi,

Yes, rofboost.exe works as you said at the screen just before you jump into the cockpit. And it seems to work very well.

I wonder if there is any chance that a "tick box" for RofBoost.exe (labelled "for Dual Core Processors and Win 7 Only") could be put in the in the ROF setup screen so that we do not have to Alt-Tab out of Rof to use ROF?

That would be so much better.

Regards and thanks,
George.

#51 Spudkopf

Spudkopf

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:22

G’day All

I lucked out and was able to secure a Core 2 Quad Q9450 for AU$150 (this is a one of bargain) which will be hopefully be in my hot little hands by tomorrow, so with continued luck my stutttttering days will be over very soon.

Spud

#52 Mattius

Mattius

Posted 08 June 2011 - 21:37

Will this help using an i5 M430?

#53 FlyingHigh

FlyingHigh

Posted 08 June 2011 - 21:47

Will this help using an i5 M430?
if it is dual-core processor - it should.
You can try this utility with demo.
It is free and forever now.
http://riseofflight.com/tryrof/en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://riseofflight.com/tryrof/en

#54 Spudkopf

Spudkopf

Posted 08 June 2011 - 22:36

My Q9450 is installed and I'm stutter free, sure it cost me unlike a software tweak but for me this was the way to go.

Spud

#55 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 09 June 2011 - 21:45

FlyingHigh;
Recently installed Win7 on my dual-core system. RoF was just horrible and unplayable. Your utility works a treat! Now smooth and stutter free. Thankyou very much. :S!:

Edit; just read whole of thread. Aha, should have said "Win7 on my dual-core system made RoF horrible and unplayable." Nice little tweak fellas. Good job! :)

#56 Ricks8222

Ricks8222

Posted 11 June 2011 - 19:39

Hi,
Im a newcomer. Just downloaded the unlimited demo yesterday, and im already hooked in this stunning sim.
I have a C2D 7500 at 2,96m and the game stutters badly.
After downloading this little program its totally playable!!
The thing is: i saw that its smooth with affinith 1.
Then , after i cllosed the game, surfed tge web, opened up teamspeak ,and re opened the game, its smooth only with affinity 2…
In affinity 1 it has many stutters…

Is it normal?
I have win7 32, 4gb ram, Gts450 1gb

#57 seguleh

seguleh

Posted 12 June 2011 - 08:49

After first flights it seems to work for me. On Phenom II X2 dual core CPU game was unplayable under Win7 64 bit, now it runs pretty smooth. I did`t measure fps with fraps but what I see on screen is satysfying.

Mega THX FlyingHigh :)

#58 II./JG77_Con

II./JG77_Con

Posted 13 June 2011 - 17:12

this helped me …

#59 Sabre

Sabre

Posted 15 June 2011 - 20:49

Hey, guys! Unfortunately there are just one or two reports about Core numbers 1 or 2 that make you happy. Please post your findings.

Thanks,
Sabre.

#60 Slowthrill

Slowthrill

Posted 19 June 2011 - 21:13

Hi guys, i have a question about this multi core.

I have 8 cores. What to do with 8?

#61 cid186

cid186

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:14

Here is my fix. I'd tried everything I could find including RoF boost. Nothing worked. :( So I started changing my settings one at a time and testing the results. Nothing got rid of the stuttering. :zzz: I thought I would try checking the Multi GPU/ SLI only option, I dont have either, but I'd tried everything else. I checked it and BOOM, :shock: no more stuttering. Kicked up my settings, restarted, still silky smooth. :lol: Try it, it worked for me. :S!:

#62 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 01 July 2011 - 19:12

Just gave this a try Cid and blimey! You're right, works really, really well. VERY smooth!
Weird but what the hell. Nice one.

#63 cid186

cid186

Posted 01 July 2011 - 23:47

Thanx, happy hunting!

#64 II./JG77_Con

II./JG77_Con

Posted 04 July 2011 - 00:24

hey ill try that i have a asus 5870 card .at 1gb …

#65 II./JG77_Con

II./JG77_Con

Posted 07 July 2011 - 22:00

GONE back to xp . and its much better ..i cant fly this sim in win7 ..tried most things , ill prob upgrade to quad core ..next month ..thanks for all your help ..cliffs of dover likes quad core too ..

#66 .Tomik

.Tomik

Posted 20 July 2011 - 21:11

Tried both, RoFBooster and Multi GPU/SLI selected - nothing works for me :(
Is there another option or RoF and Win7&Dual Core is noGo for some unfortunate people?

#67 FlyingHigh

FlyingHigh

Posted 15 August 2011 - 15:46

First post updated.
RoF & Win 7 & Core 2 Duo tweak

#68 89

Posted 16 August 2011 - 18:12

My first post:)

The tweak definitly works, but I have a dual boot PC with WinXP and Win7 32bit and the same install of RoF works much smoother on XP compared to tweaked Win7 (Untweaked Win7 is unplayable). My system is C2D 2.66Mhz, 2gb ram, 460gtx.

Great sim!!

#69 FlyingHigh

FlyingHigh

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:30

Can anybody check performance after 1.021 with Win7 & Dual Core specs and without rofboost tweak?
Is this utility necessary now?

#70 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:58

FlyingHigh; installed 1.021 and for me rofboost is now redundant. New dual-core support for Win7 works brilliantly. Now very, very smooth for me especially online and a slight increase in fps which has been a nice surprise.

For me this has been the best patch so far. Keep up the good work!

My specs; Gigabyte P35 motherboard, E8400 running at 3.6ghz, Nvidia GTX460 with 756mb vram and 4gigs DDR3 ram. Win7 64bit. :S!:

#71 89

Posted 02 September 2011 - 16:11

Utility is no longer needed. But XP is still better for dual cores- on my dual boot machine I get bout 33 fps in Win7 and about 37 fps in XP - on the same benchmark mission.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users