Photo
- - - - -

RoF & Win 7 & Core 2 Duo tweak

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 FlyingHigh

FlyingHigh

Posted 18 January 2011 - 16:40

I hav a lot of stutters and freezes with RoF on my system.
(WIn 7 x64 & Core 2 Duo)

FPS was:
Min/Max/Avg : 7 / 41 / 22.596

I wrote a small utility that rebalance processors usage by rof.exe.
Now fps is:
Min/Max/Avg: 33 / 44 / 37.928

and it rather smooth and playable.
I test it on two systems with Win7 x64 Core 2 Duo.
After same tweak for my second win7 x64 dual core system avg fps is x3 times better now (13 -> 40).

May be it helps smbd else.

I dont think it helps for dual core configurations with other OS or quad core processors , but you can try.

Quick start:
1) run RoFBoost.exe (as Administrator or disable UAC).
2) start RoF.exe
3) Load any mission (quick, single, career, multi)
4)
- Find RoFBoost icon in system tray, do right mouse click, select "Affinity Core 1"
- switch back to game and check performance
- If it doesnt help(!) and perfromance is still poor - select "Affinity Core 2"
5) If there is no difference in performance after tweak - it means you have some other bottleneck in system performance.

UPDATE: 2011-01-19
It doesnt affect your hardware.
It just tell main rof.exe thread use one of two cores as "ideal core" during scheduling process.
You can do the same thing using Process Hacker program, but rof_boost tool is more easy to use and more user friendly.

Actually I tested it for Win 2003 Dual core configuration yesterady and got some performance and smooth improvment too. Not so significant as for Win 7, but rather noticeable.

It would be nice if somebody post results after using this tweak for different OS`es and cores.

UPDATE: 2011-01-22
Success stories:
PP_Nobody96 Re: Should this-WIn 7 x64 & Core 2 Duo tweak- get more atten
DukeNukem Re: Should this-WIn 7 x64 & Core 2 Duo tweak- get more atten
Catfish Re: RoF & WIn 7 x64 & Core 2 Duo tweak
mazex Re: RoF & WIn 7 x64 & Core 2 Duo tweak
Gaso Re: RoF & WIn 7 x64 & Core 2 Duo tweak
whiplash2002b Re: RoF & WIn 7 x64 & Core 2 Duo tweak
Primaryman http://www.oceanicwi...msg2108#msg2108" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.oceanicwi...om/Forum/Main/i … 08#msg2108
Phazon http://www.oceanicwi...msg2113#msg2113" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.oceanicwi...om/Forum/Main/i … 13#msg2113

UPDATE: 2011-08-15
According to the news
http://riseofflight....f-vacation.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://riseofflight....Blogs/post/2011 … ation.aspx
this fix-tool will not be necessary in the next ROF version (1.021)
So, if you have any performance issues with win7+dual core configuration
you just can wait for the next ROF update instead of upgrading your hardware.

Attached Files

#2 BSS_DrGlow

BSS_DrGlow

Posted 18 January 2011 - 22:15

Bump

#3 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:09

Tel us what is this software doing to your hardware.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#4 FlyingHigh

FlyingHigh

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:35

Tel us what is this software doing to your hardware.

It doesnt affect your hardware.
It just tell main rof.exe thread use one of two cores as "ideal core" during scheduling process.
You can do the same thing using Process Hacker program, but rof_boost tool is more easy to use and more user friendly.

Actually I tested it for Win 2003 Dual core configuration yesterady and got some performance and smooth improvment too. Not so significant as for Win 7, but rather noticeable.

#5 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:50

To me this software looks like somethings as Process Lasso http://www.softpedia...iew-77164.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.softpedia.../reviews/window … 7164.shtml. Will try it, I hope it will work on XPpro 32bit.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#6 catchov

catchov

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:25

Isn't just setting the affinity to one core the same thing ? My apologies if this is a luddite comment :lol:

#7 FlyingHigh

FlyingHigh

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:49

To me this software looks like somethings as Process Lasso http://www.softpedia...iew-77164.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.softpedia.../reviews/window … 7164.shtml. Will try it, I hope it will work on XPpro 32bit.

I had a look at Process Lasso. It seems that it doesnt allow set affinity for THREAD, only for PROCESS, and I didnt get any performance boost.

It would be nice if you post there FPS results with and without tweak (you can use FRAPS for this)

#8 FlyingHigh

FlyingHigh

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:58

Isn't just setting the affinity to one core the same thing ? My apologies if this is a luddite comment :lol:

Such programs as Process Explorer or windows Task Manager allows you set affinity only for whole process. Process Hacker and my utility set affinity only for main process thread so other threads can use both cores.

#9 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 20 January 2011 - 14:19

I had a look at Process Lasso. It seems that it doesnt allow set affinity for THREAD, only for PROCESS, and I didnt get any performance boost.

It would be nice if you post there FPS results with and without tweak (you can use FRAPS for this)

I will use FRAPS, but are the CPU load factors from the Windows task manager not more interesting. :?:

#10 FlyingHigh

FlyingHigh

Posted 20 January 2011 - 14:33

I will use FRAPS, but are the CPU load factors from the Windows task manager not more interesting. :?:

This tweak doesnt affect cpu load, but fps increase
I think with affinity to one of the core it just dont spend time and cpu ticks for rescheduling main thread to another core.

#11 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:36

Zero results here. Running a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ on 32bit XPpro SP2. But maybe I did something wrong because I could not set any core to 1 or 2 in this program, only in the Windows Task Manager which I set to 1 core only for the RoFboost.
I forget to check the CPUload, normal this is reaching 98-100%.

#12 FlyingHigh

FlyingHigh

Posted 22 January 2011 - 14:39

Zero results here. Running a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ on 32bit XPpro SP2. But maybe I did something wrong because I could not set any core to 1 or 2 in this program, only in the Windows Task Manager which I set to 1 core only for the RoFboost.
I forget to check the CPUload, normal this is reaching 98-100%.

It`s very strange.
Were "affinity core 1" and "affinity core 2" disabled in rof_boost menu?
Attached File  rof_boost_menu.PNG   1.33KB   1362 downloads

#13 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 22 January 2011 - 15:21

Program seems to be running but I can not open it, maybe it does not run in a XP 32bit system??

#14 FlyingHigh

FlyingHigh

Posted 22 January 2011 - 16:05

Program seems to be running but I can not open it, maybe it does not run in a XP 32bit system??

It supports 32 bit and 64bit systems but has not very clear interface ))

Try to find "rof icon" in your system tray (right lower corner)
and do right mouse click on it.
Attached File  rof_boost_menu2.PNG   47.09KB   1346 downloads

#15 trikke11

trikke11

Posted 22 January 2011 - 18:17

I'd like to try it, because I tend to be slower than my fellow pilots in practice. Kinda frustrating.
Only problem I have with the Boost: I can alt+tab the game in the taskbar in order to active the affinity, but I can't tab the game back up. It stays down low in the taskbar and when I want to bring it up, computer says there's already running a version of the game ?! :shock:

#16 wrong_name_416

wrong_name_416

Posted 22 January 2011 - 19:06

just plant a quad core in the PC and problem solved !!

#17 FlyingHigh

FlyingHigh

Posted 22 January 2011 - 20:25

I'd like to try it, because I tend to be slower than my fellow pilots in practice. Kinda frustrating.
Only problem I have with the Boost: I can alt+tab the game in the taskbar in order to active the affinity, but I can't tab the game back up. It stays down low in the taskbar and when I want to bring it up, computer says there's already running a version of the game ?! :shock:

you can try run rof in non-fullscreen mode (use rof settings.exe)

#18 FlyingHigh

FlyingHigh

Posted 22 January 2011 - 20:30

I just tested this tweak for dualcore-32 bit-win2003 system, Intel E6750 Dual, 2.66 MHz, Nvidia 9800 GT.
I`set all graphics settings to low and used quick mission builder (30 planes, 15x15).

test results:

before tweak:
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
374, 15000, 19, 31, 24.933

after tweak:
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
585, 15000, 32, 48, 39.000

So, it can affect performance for other 32bit dual core systems too.

#19 trikke11

trikke11

Posted 22 January 2011 - 20:35

@ LvA***VanEyk: it is a quadcore.
Where do I read the framerate ? Do I need a prog for it ?

#20 FlyingHigh

FlyingHigh

Posted 22 January 2011 - 21:14

@ LvA***VanEyk: it is a quadcore.
Where do I read the framerate ? Do I need a prog for it ?

You can use FRAPS http://www.fraps.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fraps.com/
It can do benchmark and calculate min/max/avg fps.

#21 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:07

It supports 32 bit and 64bit systems but has not very clear interface ))

Try to find "rof icon" in your system tray (right lower corner)
and do right mouse click on it.

Did give it a new try, right click in tray as you wrote down, CPU is running 95%, flying alone, 10mm below horizon, clear weather, using "P" in RoF and Alt/Tab to adjust in RoFboost.
Starting at basic & check Fraps,
Set to 1 & check Fraps,
reset back to basic & check Fraps,
set to 2 & check Fraps,
reset back to basic check Fraps and then another try in opposite flying direction. But no effects here frame-rate, Fraps keeps to 43-46.
I'm running a HD4890-1Gb on stock speed.

#22 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 24 January 2011 - 14:53

Maybe load a few AI planes to give your CPU a separate thread to handle.

#23 Catfish

Catfish

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:57

Hello,

used it on my dual core and stutter is gone, as well i can push the graphic settings much higher ! Great find, thanks !

Only one problem, i started the rofboost, and set affinity to #1, all works, ok. BUT: I tried to change it after a reboot and if i now start the rofboost application, it shows all choices greyed out ? I cannot change anything, seems the app. has changed this forever ?

It is not running on the lower taskbar, and i did not find it in the process list -

Thanks and greetings,
Catfish

#24 FlyingHigh

FlyingHigh

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:46

Hello,

used it on my dual core and stutter is gone, as well i can push the graphic settings much higher ! Great find, thanks !

Only one problem, i started the rofboost, and set affinity to #1, all works, ok. BUT: I tried to change it after a reboot and if i now start the rofboost application, it shows all choices greyed out ? I cannot change anything, seems the app. has changed this forever ?

It is not running on the lower taskbar, and i did not find it in the process list -

Thanks and greetings,
Catfish

Affinity #1 and Affinity #2 choices is available only during running ROF and rof_boost should be started as administrator.
so
1) start rof_boost (as Administrator or disable UAC(!!!))
2) start rof
3) change affinity

Could you post your system settings (OS, Ram, CPU) and FPS with and without rof_boost?
It could be interesting for other users and me )

#25 mazex

mazex

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:39

Seems to work for me too, a bit less stuttering.

One thing is sure - there is just something about the RoF codes CPU usage that is badly optimized. If I run a dedicated server with NO planes connected, just running an empty map - it uses 70-80% CPU on both cores of my Windows 2008R2 server… Nothing is going on! If I run an IL2 server with many planes in action or a full Live For Speed server (great car sim) it uses < 10% CPU… I really wanted to run a dedicated RoF server but with that CPU usage it's a no no, I use the server for some other stuff to and the cellar was getting hot running just an empty server with no GUI :)

I really don't like whining but I don't think the devs can say: "you can't demand that it should work on old dual core chips" when a majority of the bunch running this game still has computers with less than 4 cores… My E8400 Wolfdale clocked at 3.6 Ghz runs every other game fine, so a 1 vs 1 dogfight with mid range settings really should be possible without stuttering? It's only one enemy and a rather stripped down landscape 2000m below that you don't need to care about for collision detection etc accept the first check of "Any objects near the ground? Else return…".

Well, havning said that I really like the game now that the majority of the bugs have been sorted out, but the fact that it uses 100% of BOTH my cores ALL the time when running a simple 1 vs 1 on my Windows 7 64Bit with that 3.6Ghz Core 2 Duo, 6Gb Memory and a GTX275 feels like there should room for improvement? Sure, I have an old rig that is on it's way down the line to my oldest son but still? If all the devs run i7 rigs I guess this may be what happens… Better with Olegs team that we know run their devs with "crappy hardware"… That will guarantee that the normal users can use it? Not saying too much until we see how CoD runs though ;)

I would have no problems with stutters on a mission with 20 enemy and friendlies in a furball close to the ground with AA firing, trains running etc…

/Mazex

#26 Gaso

Gaso

Posted 13 February 2011 - 22:12

Finally…. The game runs now for me as it did with XP. No more stutters!

Thank you!

#27 FlyingHigh

FlyingHigh

Posted 14 February 2011 - 00:04

Thank you!

Glad to hear it!

Could you post FPS info with and without rof_boost tweak (you can use FRAPS for this) and post your
OS/processor/RAM configuration?

#28 whiplash2002b

whiplash2002b

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:55

Great Job, man.

I tried RoF a long time ago. Couldn't play it when it got intense (4 or more planes in combat).

Used a different email to try the demo again after getting new video card (Geforce 570). Still had stuttering problems during the patrol demo mission.

Tried your nifty little program, stuttering greatly reduced.

Ordered RoF from Amazon.

Windows Vista 64 bit.
Intel 3.16 Core 2 Duo
4 gigs of RAM.
Nvdia Geforce 570.

Like I said, the stuttering was significantly reduced. I Alt-tabbed out of RoF, turned your gizmo off and went back in. The stuttering returned.

It is now highly playable. Very little stuttering. Hardly-noticeable, and I am being quite picky.

I would also like to note that most of the graphic settings are on high or maximum.

Thanks!

#29 Gaso

Gaso

Posted 16 February 2011 - 17:42

Thank you!

Glad to hear it!

Could you post FPS info with and without rof_boost tweak (you can use FRAPS for this) and post your
OS/processor/RAM configuration?

40 sec test in same conditions
Before:
Min 13 Max 32 Avg 25.121

After:
Min 33 Max 45 Avg 41.188

Huge boost, I can't thank you enough!
The intermittend frame freezing is gone.

My specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66
4 GB
Abit P5K SE
GeForce GTX 460
Win7 64bit

#30 whiplash2002b

whiplash2002b

Posted 17 February 2011 - 17:27

I got my copy today from Amazon. Loaded a quick mission with about 18 planes in the sky at once. Smooth as silk.

Thanks again!

#31 daver

daver

Posted 25 March 2011 - 00:21

FlyingHigh: the utility worked very well, game running good now..no stutters..thank you

#32 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 25 March 2011 - 00:57

Seems to work for me too, a bit less stuttering.

One thing is sure - there is just something about the RoF codes CPU usage that is badly optimized. If I run a dedicated server with NO planes connected, just running an empty map - it uses 70-80% CPU on both cores of my Windows 2008R2 server… Nothing is going on! If I run an IL2 server with many planes in action or a full Live For Speed server (great car sim) it uses < 10% CPU… I really wanted to run a dedicated RoF server but with that CPU usage it's a no no, I use the server for some other stuff to and the cellar was getting hot running just an empty server with no GUI :)

I really don't like whining but I don't think the devs can say: "you can't demand that it should work on old dual core chips" when a majority of the bunch running this game still has computers with less than 4 cores… My E8400 Wolfdale clocked at 3.6 Ghz runs every other game fine, so a 1 vs 1 dogfight with mid range settings really should be possible without stuttering? It's only one enemy and a rather stripped down landscape 2000m below that you don't need to care about for collision detection etc accept the first check of "Any objects near the ground? Else return…".

Well, havning said that I really like the game now that the majority of the bugs have been sorted out, but the fact that it uses 100% of BOTH my cores ALL the time when running a simple 1 vs 1 on my Windows 7 64Bit with that 3.6Ghz Core 2 Duo, 6Gb Memory and a GTX275 feels like there should room for improvement? Sure, I have an old rig that is on it's way down the line to my oldest son but still? If all the devs run i7 rigs I guess this may be what happens… Better with Olegs team that we know run their devs with "crappy hardware"… That will guarantee that the normal users can use it? Not saying too much until we see how CoD runs though ;)

I would have no problems with stutters on a mission with 20 enemy and friendlies in a furball close to the ground with AA firing, trains running etc…

/Mazex

First, a majority of users are not running Dual Cores, at least according to our survey.

Second, our code is optimized well and Intel has told us so many times. The issue is with Windows 7 and Dual cores not us.

Third, all of our systems in the office, but one are Dual Cores.

Fourth, this little app created by "FlyingHigh" is actually Anton of 777 Studios. We just made it as a test to see the haters come out and call us idiots again when this app proves it is Windows and not us that causes the problem. The good thing is this app actually works since our team does know how to code after all.

Fifth, our FM and DM system is much different than COD so comparing them is apples and oranges.

We're glad many of your Dual Core users found this useful. Please tell your friends if they have similar issues.

Jason

#33 Kirsch

Kirsch

Posted 26 March 2011 - 21:21

Jason - where do I find this App? I'm running Windows 7, Core 2 Duo 3.16Ghz, with 8GB Memory and 1 GN Video Meory on a GTS450 Board. I thin kit shoudl be enough bu thte stutters are awful and make the game totally unplayable. Any help appreciated.

#34 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 26 March 2011 - 21:56

First post Kirsch.

Look for the attachment at the end.

Jason

#35 RaidenIII

RaidenIII

Posted 04 April 2011 - 17:58

Will this make a difference if I use it on my old quad core Q9450?

I've no complaints with it so far but every little helps!!!!

#36 VBF-12_Sluggo

VBF-12_Sluggo

Posted 19 May 2011 - 22:28

Sorry for the question here, but do you have to run it each time you play or just once and it knows what to do in the future?

#37 FlyingHigh

FlyingHigh

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:03

Sorry for the question here, but do you have to run it each time you play or just once and it knows what to do in the future?

every time when you restart ROF.

#38 VBF-12_Sluggo

VBF-12_Sluggo

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:58

Thanks! For the group here as a new player here and a long time IL2 player, I was having problems on the two "newbe" servers (both fun). Was having less issues on the advanced servers like "morning, afternoon offensive" This fix seemed to help on both going from 22-31 FPS to 29-40FPS. Running a evga 470, but before I got this fix I found a resonably priced 580 that is on its way.

#39 semi_auto

semi_auto

Posted 26 May 2011 - 21:57

I have a 3 core processor, would this be expected to help me?

#40 FlyingHigh

FlyingHigh

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:23

I have a 3 core processor, would this be expected to help me?

if you have any stutters with win7 - you can give a try :)
If you already have good performance - I dont think you`ll get +120 fps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users