- - - - -

Your Virtual Cockpit?

• Please log in to reply
331 replies to this topic

#321 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:35

Procy, I definitely recommend the Slaw pedals.
I got a pair as a Christmas present to me :)

They are one of those standout Sim purchases.
Top quality engineering.

#322 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:48

Hi WW1EAF_Brigs, thanks mate will look into when these die. I know they don't look great but they work real well.

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#323 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:11

Sorry Proccy I meant to address that to Pointy as he is looking at the Slaw and Crosswind pedals.

Your pedals look good IMO. More like aircraft pedals than the off the shelf offerings from CH and Saitek

#324 Pointy

Pointy

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:41

Lol, that was a bit of foot in mouth there Brigs….lol…..Pointy, not Proccy….lol

Yeah I was impressed with the toe styles, looks authentic.

I should find some time to modify the Saitek combats (they probably could be just greased up) but those Slaws have me fixated….lol…..

The missus already thinks I'm mad, maybe I can get away with just one more purchase…..lol…..she gets a flippen cat and I get some Slaws… :D

#325 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:39

Sounds fair to me :)

The Slaws turned up when she was out and when questioned they cost 50 quid LOL

Minister of entertainment in my house she is ;)

#326 Ironwrench

Ironwrench

Posted 19 April 2014 - 16:39

While the twist stick is nicely intuitive, I spent too many years using rudder pedals not to have a working pair. I note the complaint of "scratchy" and "cheap feeling". Fact is real rudder pedals in old aircraft are "scratchy" and "cheap feeling." With all the cable runs and pulleys in the control system, real rudders make scratchy noises (nicely reproduced in RoF) and have a built in drag that, from my experience, seems somewhat alleviated in flight. I find the Saitek combat rudder pedals very nice and close to the real thing in both looks and feel. One of the attractions of these pedals was the way these pedals remind me of actual pedals in aircraft I have flown. I also like the aluminum constriction of the pedals, as opposed to the plastic in other models. The only problem I have with the Saitek is the same problem I have had with other sim control systems - lack of feedback. Real rudders have a feel that is sorely missed in their sim counterparts. After a recent posting about the lack of feedback in my flight stick, I was induced to seek out and purchase an old MS FFB2 stick (eBay - $85). I must say, while I don't like the physical configuration as much as my old Logitch 3D Pro, the built in feel is a major improvement over the tactile sense of a spring, centering device. Still, the stick doesn’t have the weighted feel of actual cabled control systems, and it doesn’t have the distinct light and sloppy feel when close to a stall; but I like the way the stick moves in harmony to the screen during the takeoff roll and the vibration when firing the guns. To spare excessive vibration to the stick, in those aircraft where it is possible, I fly hands off during takeoff, using only rudder for directional control until the aircraft is just ready to rise into ground effect. At that point, I take the stick smoothly to hand. Oddly, from time to time the feedback shuts down completely and the stick momentarily goes limp, but then quickly recovers its “feel.” Were the Saitek rudder pedals to have comparable feed back, they would be pretty much spot on with real rudder pedals. All in all, if you want off-the-shelf hardware I would say Saitk combat pedals are hard to beat.

On a final note about rudder pedals, is the subject of the T-34 “Mentor.” This beautiful little ex-Airforce trainer, was based on the civilian Beechcraft Bonanza. Kind of a Bonanza with a canopy, conventional tail feathers and military odor. Many of these delightful primary trainers were later transferred to the Civil Air Patrol and military flying clubs, where I managed to rack up a few hours in them. One of the notable features of this aircraft was its silky smooth rudder pedals that used ball bearing surfaces throughout the system. In fact the system was so slick, the FAA deemed lead-footed civilians would not be able to handle proper rudder control in the aircraft. To remedy the situation, “demilling” the T-34 required the installation of bungee cords on the rudder pedal to give them the proper “feel” for civilian pilots. Of course this was perceived by pilots as yet another abomination of bureaucratic blundering on the part of the FAA, after all, how are a military pilot’s feet and reflexes that much different from their civilian counterparts? However, there was an easy fix built into the system. Pilots would simply disconnect the offending bungee cords before flight as part of their preflight checklist and then re-clip them postflight. It’s kind of like the instrument panel on many ag-planes. To fulfill FAA requirements, ag aircraft have the usual basic flight instruments mounted in the panel, but a pilot would be surprised to find them actually working. I once had an empty mag compass (no dampening fluid) that spun synchronously with engine vibration, making it worthless as a compass, but a pretty fair tachometer. But the need for a compass in an ag plane is like the need for a compass on a bicycle. Then there was the airspeed indicator that would vibrate and then stick at 140 kn in an aircraft incapable of such speeds. Standard practice was to bang on the panel to bring the needle back to zero after flight so some nosy bureaucrat would not notice the aircraft grossly exceeding VNE while parked. But in the usual ag environment between 4 and 500 feet AGL, who has time to be looking at instrument panels anyway? I got a kick out of a comment made by a long time ag pilot after test flying a brand new AT-301 “Air Tractor.” “I really like the way the plane flies, but I found all those needles spinning around in front of me very distracting, what are they used for?

Finally, while not a hard and fast rule, I have noted two distinct types of individuals in both aviation and sailing - builders and users. Frequently builders spend years constructing and finishing their planes/boats, then fly/sail them a for a short while before putting them up for sale. “Getting there” is the goal and enjoyment of these individuals. “I designed and/or built this with my own hands” provides fulfillment. Users on the other hand simply want something that allows them to get their face into the wind as efficiently as possible. The principal operating factor for these folks is interacting with both machine and nature. It appears there is a variation of this distinction in the world of sims as well.

#327 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:45

Hello Ironwrench,

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the MSFFB2 stick.
I have several and one in particular is stronger than any of the others in regards to the amount of force it can generate, though there are differences in all of them.

As regards to the configuration, have you tried Voice Activated Commands?
I can recommend DWVAC as working very easily and well, with only a cheap $10 mike.
It frees up a lot of buttons on the stick if the lack of them is what you are referring to.

I also use Saitek Combat Pro pedals and have had two years or so of trouble free use.

Thanks for your stories and info.

Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#328 the_belgian

the_belgian

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:31

for me it's back to basics.after i quit flying MS flight simulator the saitec yoke and throttlecontrols are stored back into the closset.so while waiting for my self bought birthdaypresents(rudder pedals and another stick) it's back to the old thrustmaster.but the denon headset makes a great difference on the sound.
i know it looks like a mess but it's my little place on earth :D

(the background is photoshopped but will become something like that)

#329 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 23 April 2014 - 22:29

Attached File  pedals 001.jpg   1.78MB   625 downloadsAttached File  pedals 002.jpg   1.93MB   625 downloadsMy finished rudder pedals. They are 500cm wide and work great I can now have my Saitek x65pro between my legs without been uncomfortable :S!:

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#330 Pointy

Pointy

Posted 08 May 2014 - 13:41

Wow mate, good job there, loving the toe brakes and the spring system, seriously looking the part also.

Fair call Ironwrench, I could go on about feel of the saiteks compared to reality but if your happy mate, your happy.

#331 Blooddawn1942

Blooddawn1942
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 February 2015 - 19:45

So here´s my corner. :icon_mad:

Built during some winter evenings. :icon_e_smile:

eu11js.jpg

6p9tzm.jpg

MALAULA!!!

Outgunned, outnumbered though never outclassed!

Wyrd bid ful araed...

#332 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 June 2016 - 13:17

My current setup:
E7128D9A-23C5-46CE-A4B8-1E44F31AD61D_zps
As I'm a college student, when I got my 1st PC, I opted to get an MSI gaming laptop. I just couldn't envision myself lugging a tower PC to Starbucks to study...aaand I really couldn't imagine trying to run ROF on a traditional laptop either. :lol: Thankfully, my little MSI fits both requirements. :D Only downside is the small screen size (15.5"), but I'm thankful just to have a PC that fits my needs. ;)

Anyway, my virtual cockpit is located in my room because there's really nowhere else for it to go lol. Tough part about that is I have to set it all up each time I fly and then put it all away again when I'm finished. :/ (Because I need the space for other things when I'm not using it to fly.) Hoping to someday get the space to make a permanent "cockpit" so I can just sit down and fly when I want, but for now this arrangement works.

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users