Photo
- - - - -

Your Virtual Cockpit?

• Please log in to reply
331 replies to this topic

#241 ArgonV

ArgonV

Posted 19 February 2013 - 21:57

Thank you Proccy! Tell me about it, I HATE dusting as it is… And with all the models with their fine parts, ugh. I've already had to glue back so many prop blades and antennas!

#242 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 19 February 2013 - 22:49

Yup ArgonV I had the same issue with my models some were more than 40years old, so when we moved house the lastime I gave the all to the neighbors kids lol :lol:

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#243 Xreasonz

Xreasonz

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:28

Time for my ghetto setup :D

Dont mind the weird table ;) Room is on its way to full rebuilt :D

#244 =69.GIAP=REDVO

=69.GIAP=REDVO

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:31

SALUTE

Good show comrade,very nice indeed! I would reccomend that you remove those sharp edges, cut or file, before you or someone else cuts themselves. They do look sharp :S!:

#245 Xreasonz

Xreasonz

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:33

SALUTE

Good show comrade,very nice indeed! I would reccomend that you remove those sharp edges, cut or file, before you or someone else cuts themselves. They do look sharp :S!:

ah no worries m8 ;) they might look sharp but i made the edges blunt ;)
Working in a metal workshop so i had all the tools i needed

But i do plan on rounding the edges off. when my boss isnt around ;)

#246 shneck

shneck

Posted 24 February 2013 - 15:03

here is my egro-mini )

Attached Files

#247 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 25 February 2013 - 18:25

There are so many great setups and ideas in here and I thought it is about time to share my humble Desk (Pit? ^^) aswell.

Over the last 2 Years I have tried different controllers and Setups,started with my old Microsoft Force Feedback which I still have as Back up.

I was lucky enough to get a used and modified Thrustmaster Warthog with Throttle for cheap from a Friend a while ago,but I had to build the centermount system myself. The Pedals are Simpeds with selfmade Footrests as I wasn't comfortable with the Standard ones. Lately I completed the Setup with a CH Throttle quadrant that replaced my Saitek Quadrant ,which I used for almost 2 Years without any problems, and a cut out on my Desk to have easier access to the CH Multi function Panel which I acquired about half a year ago. I really hope I'm done finally as I'm starting to get tired of switching setups,cutting out Desks and cleaning up the mess :xx:

Unfortunally there was no Money left for a good Camera,so the pictures are in really poor quality.

Attached Files

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#248 Xreasonz

Xreasonz

Posted 25 February 2013 - 18:35

Pirato, looks sweet thou :D

Might invest into a descent set of HOTAS and pedal set once i get more familiar to the actual Flight sims (am fairly new to the genre)

Thinking of buying a CH Multi Function Panel
This any good? sure looks like its Well build

#249 Badgerbrown

Badgerbrown

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:44

I don't know how I missed this thread after all this time, but it has been truly entertaining reading!

There are some great ideas on here… :geek:

#250 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 25 February 2013 - 20:13

Thinking of buying a CH Multi Function Panel
This any good? sure looks like its Well build

Basicly its like a Keyboard,but you can place the buttons whereever you like. They are of course removable and can be place and switched around to your liking. You can even create the Background yourself using Templates that can be found on a site called "CH Hangar" and propably at other places. You need a Program like Paint.net to make own printable Templates though. But this one is free and easy to use. Or you can just use predefinied templates and print them or just take a paper and a Pen and do it that way.

It ships with 25 Buttons,that can be mapped and programmed in 2 modes,which can be switched back and forth via Buttonpress. That makes 50 Buttons when you switch between the modes. Addionally you can buy another set of 25 Buttons seperatly,but they are expensive IMO. But you would have 100 freely configurable buttons.
I don't regret that I bought it,it's a good addition although I haven't used it for RoF yet but for Strike Fighters 2. If you Plan on doing more complex Sims or Games it's well worth it.

#251 Xreasonz

Xreasonz

Posted 25 February 2013 - 20:27

Pirato, Thx for the heads-up.
And yeah im more of a Space sim person
Althou i enjoy ROF with a great deal.

Ive just started Simming(flight) at the end of last year so i just bought myself a X52 pro as entry level
And enjoying it, Feeling really wel. For rudder i use a G25 pedal (until i get a CH pro)

So my next purchase will definatly be a CH Multi Function Panel. (or 2)
Next up the CH pro pedal, and after that 2 extra screens (then ill be broke . . . but entertained !! :D )

Btw as far as a X52 pro goes, i guess thats a fairly descent Hotas? Been looking at that Warthog From thrustmaster. but i dont know. . . im on the fence about it

#252 von_Semmel

von_Semmel
  • LocationGermany / Munich

Posted 25 February 2013 - 20:55

Great equipment pirato,
looks wonderfull :0o:

#253 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 26 February 2013 - 17:54

Thanks Semmel,took me a good amount of late hours work to gather all the needed stuff.^^

Pirato, Thx for the heads-up.
And yeah im more of a Space sim person
Althou i enjoy ROF with a great deal.

Ive just started Simming(flight) at the end of last year so i just bought myself a X52 pro as entry level
And enjoying it, Feeling really wel. For rudder i use a G25 pedal (until i get a CH pro)

So my next purchase will definatly be a CH Multi Function Panel. (or 2)
Next up the CH pro pedal, and after that 2 extra screens (then ill be broke . . . but entertained !! :D )

Btw as far as a X52 pro goes, i guess thats a fairly descent Hotas? Been looking at that Warthog From thrustmaster. but i dont know. . . im on the fence about it

In my opinion you should get a TrackIR instead of 2 additional screens first. CH Pedals seems to be good quality.
I can't really comment on the X52 pro as I never have tried it. I think many are using it so it propably is very good Hardware.
But I can compare the Warthog to any other controlers I have tried,which are Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2,Logitech Extreme 3d pro,Thrustmaster T160000 and a CH Fighterstick. Although all of these are good,and some of them even very good, the Warthogs general feeling is more heavy and the movement of the axis is very smooth and precise.

Note that I'm talking about a modified stick with a weaker Spring,new grease inside and an extended Handle. Out of the box the Spring is really strong and fine movements around the center are harder to do. It's still a very good piece of Hardware,although it has some minor flaws like the Spring and the centering mechanism. But some People surely like it that way. But there are ways to get the best out of the Warthog. If you can acquire an Extension or make one yourself it is a completly different Stick. Even without adding a weaker spring or new grease.
But only if you are ready to mod such an expensive toy.^^

#254 Xreasonz

Xreasonz

Posted 26 February 2013 - 20:51

Thx Pirato,

But im allready using a TrackIR5 ;) (mainly for arma2)
and yeah i like the looks of the Warthog but its like you say.
Modding an expensive toy is not something ill be doing quickly, i dont mind
getting my hands dirty as im a mechanic but i really love the X52, it looks futuristic and the Joystick itself is very light to the touch, minute movements are easy done + you can harden up the spring with real ease.

Btw your commented on getting a TIR5 instead of 2 extra screens
But since i allready have a TIR5. Would getting 2 more extra screen still add to the Immersion?
Or instead getting a bigger screen (single).
Im currently using a Samsung 22' BX syncmaster.

And yeah the CH pedals looks really sturdy compared to the Saitek Pro series ones.

Think my first buy will be that MultiFunction panel. that would help Keybinds by a big margain.
Since i Focus mainly on vehicles in arma2 and soon on arma3, Helicopter, Jet and/or ground vehicles
+Space sims tend to have millions of "boethans" to press

#255 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 26 February 2013 - 21:22

Sorry,I can't coment on a 3 screen Setup. Im using a 27" Display with 1920x1080 Resolution and it does the job for me. Altough I'm really interested how a 27" or even 30" Display with a higher resolution would look like.^^ For 3 Screens I simply wouldn't have the Room on my Desk.

If you plan to go the 3 Screen route make sure your Graphic card can handle 2 additional Screens. With anything below a Nvidia 600 Series Card you will need a SLI setup just to have the plugs to connect 2 additional screens. With ATI Cards you can connect additional Screens without problems to a single Card. Of course the Card(s) would need enough Punch to drive the 3 Screens with acceptable Framerates.
But I'm by no means familar with all this,it's just what I've read somewhere,if I'm wrong feel free to correct me. :S!:

#256 Xreasonz

Xreasonz

Posted 26 February 2013 - 21:29

Pirato,

Thx for the info again :D

Running a GTX 580 sli and a i7 960 @ 3.8 ghz (not the meatiest system but it holds)on a 1000 watt psu ;)
Im pretty sure it could hold on 3 screens (i hope) there the ASUS DCUII 1.5 gig Vram cards, so maybe on the low Vram side tbh.

If anyone here has experience with TrackIR AND Multi screens, please feel free to share your experiences
It would save me alot of costs if it turns out to be wasted money by getting 2 extra screens.

Btw i appreciate your help Pirato ;)

#257 BillyKid

BillyKid

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:23

Was at Seattle Museum of Flight today and was inspired. Going to start building one of these tomorrow.

Attached Files

#258 Markow

Markow

Posted 11 March 2013 - 18:10

foto
better pictures please

campribV.png

#259 No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

Posted 28 March 2013 - 13:54

I built a generic type pit because I fly a variety of flight sims :)

#260 Quax.

Quax.
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 March 2013 - 13:09

And yeah the CH pedals looks really sturdy compared to the Saitek Pro series ones.

But the CH pedals are much too close together and the angle is also too flat. I did have them some time, but switched to the Simpeds for that reason. I guess i would prefer the Saitek.

(…or you try to get Simpeds from the bay, as they aren´t produced any more)

#261 WWDubya

WWDubya

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:32

No.42_Hawg, I hate you!

;)

Seriously… a comfy looking rig you pieced together!!!

#262 No.42_Hawg

No.42_Hawg

Posted 16 April 2013 - 18:29

Thanks Dub :) It is pretty comfy actually. I built just about everything from parts I got at Home Depot.

#263 Capn_Binky

Capn_Binky

Posted 27 April 2013 - 20:09

My buddy made me a 6 inch extension for the Warthog. Got to try it, and the British N17 out at the same time, and its nice.. very nice. Very little movement required with very precise control. Fits my simpit (which still has no sides to it other than for the HOTAS platform.) much better than reaching between my legs to move the joystick.

It's a single piece of knurled aluminum threaded properly to keep the joystick aiming forward. He sent me a picture of it bare, and when I called to pick it up he had sent it out to be hard anodized, lol. Perfectionists. In either case, if anyone wants one, I had him save the plans he used to create it. Just PM me.

Now to finish framing out removable side panels.

#264 TX-EcoDragon

TX-EcoDragon

Posted 30 April 2013 - 17:18

Want a simple re-configurable USB touch interface that you can use for all of your sims, made with…well…just about anything you want?

http://www.kickstart...ideas-city-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.kickstart...ideas-city-2013

http://www.makeymakey.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.makeymakey.com/

#265 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 18:08

Damn that MakeyMakey is cool, but it can't do macros and does it even support the whole alphabet? Can your PC see more than one? I have Questions!?!?

Jason

#266 Quax.

Quax.
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:23

My new cockpit - build around my FFB2 mod:

#267 TX-EcoDragon

TX-EcoDragon

Posted 01 May 2013 - 16:09

Damn that MakeyMakey is cool, but it can't do macros and does it even support the whole alphabet? Can your PC see more than one? I have Questions!?!?

Jason

How many keys can be pressed at once with a Makey Makey?

Makey Makey can press as many keys as your keyboard allows at once, which is 6. You can use up to 18 in a session (6 on the front of MaKey MaKey and 12 on the back), but only 6 can be held down simultaneously.

Can the Makey Makey trigger any keys on the keyboard?

Yes, this is configurable in a settings.h file in the MaKey MaKey sketch in the Arduino IDE.

Can I use multiple Makey Makeys at once on 1 computer?

Yes! You can plug in two or more at once and create an orchestra of Makey Makeys! (tested with up to 3, but could work for more)

http://www.makeymakey.com/faq.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.makeymakey.com/faq.php

#268 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 02 May 2013 - 13:40

Nothing is more permanent than temporary solutions, and my pit illustrates that well - you invite a joystick on your desk and before you notice it brings all it's friends and relatives to stay. At least there is room for maps and an all-purpose computer.

Attached Files

• Attached File  pit.jpg   675.89KB   1039 downloads

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#269 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:48

Wow that's a very nice collection of medals you have there. Don't mean to be rude but are those repros or originals. (if originals - Wow!)

#270 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:42

No, they are mostly reproductions (especially the Hindenburg star, but badges and Pour le Merite are bought from known reproductors). The Hindenburg Cross was sold to me as original (and so many were issued it's possibly true). The small round medalions (Deutche Flugspunde and French medalion from 1970 satirising Napoleon IIIrd and defeat of Sedan) are supposedly original, and I like thinking they are.

Forum moderator.

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#271 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:22

Trupobaw,
The hardcover rudder stop is a classic. Not as bad as the giant toddler legos I was using before building this: Center mounted stick and rudder pedal unit

And I definitely like the TrackIR "hoodie" as well. Genius!

#272 Uwe_W.

Uwe_W.
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:07

I haven't read through all 28 pages but has anyone lengthened a CH product combatstick?
Id really like to make it full length, but kinda scared to venture out into unknown territory!

#273 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:22

My shrine

Attached Files

#274 SquireJames

SquireJames

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:38

Well, I don't have anything fancy like others in this thread (although I sure am envious :) ) . For me, it's a simple cheap "Black Widow" Joystick/Throttle/Rudder combo.

However, what I lack in cockpit realism, I make up for in other ways…

Attached Files

#275 kcole4001

kcole4001
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 June 2013 - 21:06

Love the Climax, On30? nice weathering on the fright car.

When it comes to trains I've always been a huge fan of narrowguage (especially mining) so yeah its on30, unfortunately due to the large pricetag on on30 models I have a relatively small collection, although I recently purchased the Climax and the Shay for a combined price of $290! What a steal for such amazing models! As for the boxcar I paint most of my models by hand, I'm no amazing painter but they definitely look better than when I got them.

Some really nice weathering there!
I have this plan to do a 1920s-1930s representation of the railway activity and industry in my province, but I`ll likely never get the money or space to get it done.
WAY too many hobbies and nowhere near enough time or money.

#276 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 17 June 2013 - 21:09

Very nice, James! Where do you get the uniforms? Any sowing on your part?

#277 SquireJames

SquireJames

Posted 18 June 2013 - 00:37

I can sow, but it's nothing to write home about. Enough to fix holes, sew on lost buttons etc :)

There are quite a few places you can pick up bits and pieces from.

The boots are ex-Royal Navy Deck Boots (same pattern as used from 1908 onwards) Puttees are original but "private purchase" i.e not issued but sold by companies to NCos, Officers etc. They are curved unlike the issued ones, so they are far more comfortable. The trousers are by a company called Sutlers, and are the same trousers I use for infantry (again same pattern). I usually replace them and the greyback woollen shirt with a pair of brown overalls, as they are more comfortable especially in hot weather and were more commonly worn by flight crew.

The tunic, an RFC Maternity Tunic as it was called, is hand made by a very talented guy called Richard Knight. Not easy to come by, even reproduction ones. The gauntlets came from ebay, advertised as "womens gloves"! As far as I can tell they are 1930s. The coat is a bit of a story. According to the bloke I bought it from it was owned and worn by the man who actually owned the car they used in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but I've no way of confirming or denying it. It looks more like a "prop" coat to me, i.e it seems very RFC styled, even the buttons, but it's clearly reproduction and made to be filmed from a distance. The flying helmet is modern, but like the gloves and coat, there was little in the way of standard issue in the RFC (believe me the items you see that are "RFC gloves" etc yes they were made, but most crew wore what was comfortable for them. Remember military equipment is made by the lowest bidder!)

Goggles are original but they were in a right state when I got them. A friend of mine restored them for me. The sidecap is original but 1930s issue, originally RASC (Royal Army Service Corps) but very similar pattern. The simple belt is an original Pattern 1903 leather belt, probably made before the Great War. The bag is a reproduction Lewis Gun Parts bag, by a very talented man named Paul Schipper at his company "Schipperfabrik" The open top holster and ammo pouch (not visible) are also by them. Great leatherwork. The scarf is just an ordinary woollen one :) figured I'm a Serjeant so I wouldn't have a fancy silk one. The other belt, my Sam Browne and the closed top holster, is reproduction from IMA Militaria, quite a big company in the US. (where the pictures were taken, I lived over there for a while). The sword is repro, and is actually a 1908 Cavalry Troopers Sword. Lots of men transferred from the cavalry to the RFC, and so that's what I portray. The RFC had no traditions of it's own, so the men often wore the parade and dress uniforms of their old regiment/service. In the flight gear pic, I am wearing an ordinary 1908 Pattern Webbing belt. It's original, and rather unusual in that the metalwork is dated (they usually aren't and only the webbing might have a date printed on it). Mine is dated 1927, so it's a bit unusual since they didn't make much webbing interwar (didn't need to! Lots left over from wartime)

The Webley was an original Mk.I** (double star) made most likely around 1890. They made the Mk.I from 1887 to 1892, but they never stamped them with dates. She had a trimmed cylinder to fire 0.45 Colt rather then 0.455 Webley (the round I've shown with her) but that's the beauty of revolvers; she could fire either really. She was reproofed for nitro (i.e cordite) rounds with a VR stamp, so that was 1901 or before. Could have seen service in any number of conflicts, i've sadly no idea. An older model for the First World War, but they issued the RFC with all sorts of hand me down firearms (even Mosin-Nagants and Arisakas) especially so when it came to revolvers. After all, revolvers for aircrew were only ever meant for one usage… Had to sell her when I moved back to Britain of course, but over here I have a replica (solid metal) C96 Mauser Pistol that I use. "Captured from the hun gunner in a Rumpler" I tell people :P

Managed to replace the buttons on the side cap with RFC ones (rare as hens teeth those), but astute players of Rise of Flight will notice the one piece of insignia I am missing!

My 'impression' as the term goes is that of a Sjt of 48 Sqd RFC, flying as an observer/gunner in a Bristol F.2b

#278 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 22 June 2013 - 14:20

Thanks for the write-up! looks like you mad ea lot of work of either acquiring originals, or getting the best possible alternatives. And it shows

This is not realy virtual cockpit related, either, but I spent the day hanging some pictures:

This is an original, one of my prize posessions…I know hanging it up like this won't do it that much good, but it won't be indirect sunlight, and I think it would be a waste to just keep it stashed away somewhere:

#279 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 22 June 2013 - 14:30

This is an original, one of my prize posessions…I know hanging it up like this won't do it that much good, but it won't be indirect sunlight, and I think it would be a waste to just keep it stashed away somewhere:

Don't envy you at all :? . I hope you don't mind if I hang a print of your photo ;) .

Forum moderator.

#280 Askvader

Askvader

Posted 07 July 2013 - 15:12

I dont know if you have all ready start a threat like this,I will start with mine which i just update it a little bit :)

INTEL CORE I7-870 2.93 GHZ
RAM KINGSTON KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX DDR3 12GB (3X4GB) PC12800 1600MHZ HYPERX GENESIS TRIPLE CHANNEL KIT
Videocard 2x XFX GEFORCE GTX580
Soundcard CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY SE RETAIL 7.1
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL WDG2TP15000
Motherboard INTEL BLKDP67BGB3 BULK
INTEL BLKDP67BGB3 BULK
Mouse LOGITECH MX-518
Mousepad Fnatic Everglide Titan/qpad
Keyboard Razer Lycosa
Headphones The Everglide s-500
TV 24 LG (DUAL)
Sound system 7.1 SOUNDBLASTER
Joystick SAITEK X52 PRO FLIGHT CONTROL SYSTEM
TrackIR 4:PRO

look, let's be honest here - if we were to get into a match, it would just be unfair. I have a logitech extreme 3d pro in the mail, but am currently using keyboard. Just not fair. And the lights - so pretty!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users