Photo
- - - - -

Your Virtual Cockpit?

• Please log in to reply
331 replies to this topic

#1 rOEN911

rOEN911

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:06

I dont know if you have all ready start a threat like this,I will start with mine which i just update it a little bit :)

INTEL CORE I7-870 2.93 GHZ
RAM KINGSTON KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX DDR3 12GB (3X4GB) PC12800 1600MHZ HYPERX GENESIS TRIPLE CHANNEL KIT
Videocard 2x XFX GEFORCE GTX580
Soundcard CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY SE RETAIL 7.1
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL WDG2TP15000
Motherboard INTEL BLKDP67BGB3 BULK
INTEL BLKDP67BGB3 BULK
Mouse LOGITECH MX-518
Mousepad Fnatic Everglide Titan/qpad
Keyboard Razer Lycosa
Headphones The Everglide s-500
TV 24 LG (DUAL)
Sound system 7.1 SOUNDBLASTER
Joystick SAITEK X52 PRO FLIGHT CONTROL SYSTEM
TrackIR 4:PRO

#2 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:19

Nice rig mate, it looks like a nuclear powerplant! :D

#3 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:20

This is how I roll! This is setup for a HP O/400 bomber mission using the yoke. For fighters the yoke and right hand side throttle are removed… dont need all those levers!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#4 Baal2

Baal2

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:28

Wow, nice setup! You even have a can of fuel in the cockpit :D

#5 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:43

Wow, an even more impressive rig! It should be interesting to fly the HP with a yoke.

Wait…is that how you iron out misunderstandings on the chat? (right side) :lol:

The calculator must be a part of the bombing procedure! :)

#6 SYN_Jedders

SYN_Jedders

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:45

£50 note on the left and a bottle of Whiskey on the right!….what on earth were you planning, Flashman????

#7 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:49

Wow, an even more impressive rig! It should be interesting to fly the HP with a yoke.

Wait…is that how you iron out misunderstandings on the chat? (right side) :lol:

The calculator must be a part of the bombing procedure! :)

Lol, the iron is there so my good lady can make sure my trousers have the correct creases in them, you know, for realism!

However if you combine the Laphroaig single malt whisky, the iron and the telephone you can come up with an amusing yet painful injury. Just you try answering the iron after a skinfull of whisky..ouch!

#8 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:51

£50 note on the left and a bottle of Whiskey on the right!….what on earth were you planning, Flashman????

The £50 note was from my very first job when I set up the small company I run now. yes its real! I keep it for one reason only: When it all goes horribly wrong and the company goes bust I at least have £50 to take to the pub and drown my sorrows! And TBH in the current financial climate i have been close to needing it!

The whisky is to put into the steam iron, you get better creases that why but stink like a high class tramp.

#9 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 10 January 2011 - 13:07

Here's my end of the game:

#10 SYN_MrWolf

SYN_MrWolf

Posted 10 January 2011 - 13:10

Ha ha..reflected. Are you wearing those gloves when flying? gotta try that;)

#11 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 10 January 2011 - 13:11

Yes, actually I am! :) Seriously, it feels a lot better that way. You can buy cheap nomex gloves on ebay, they're very thin and add a great deal to immersion.

#12 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 10 January 2011 - 13:20

Here's my end of the game:

Your setup is quite similar to my fighter setup, I even have a Saitek AV8R somewhere (except without the big black box to your left). Do you not find that the FFB2 stick shakes the keyboard tray part of your desk to peices? My desk is pretty sturdy but when the stick goes mad it gets a good battering!

Must try the gloves…. and one day a flying helmet!

#13 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 10 January 2011 - 13:25

I agree! That's why I reduced the shaking to about 30%.
At 100% the MS FFB2 could be used as a pneumatic hammer! :D

#14 Mr.Pink

Mr.Pink

Posted 10 January 2011 - 17:48

ehm.. huh.. eh. WTF its awesome, personally i got a wiimote taped on my screen for trackir and a black joystick with a little throttle on:D Im not taking a pic till its more awesome

#15 Bilbo_Baggins

Bilbo_Baggins

Posted 10 January 2011 - 21:43

Hey Flashman, I recognize some of that stuff, but is the rest homemade? Looks freakin awesome.

#16 catchov

catchov

Posted 11 January 2011 - 00:07

…. the iron is there so my good lady can make sure my trousers have the correct creases in them, you know, for realism!

Flashman by name Flashman by nature ;) You're obviously a snappy dresser judging by your avatar pic Flash. Keeping up appearances is so important. Ensure your wife irons the creases with due care please. They should be sharp enough to draw blood :)

Then move onto double pleats :P

#17 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:31

Hey Flashman, I recognize some of that stuff, but is the rest homemade? Looks freakin awesome.

Yeah, a good portion of it is home made. The black box to the left of the seat, the one on the desk to the left of the yoke and the two smaller ones either side of the yoke are all home made.

I call is the Flashman Console mk 3b. I updated it over christmas adding the two smaller consoles either side of the yoke and a few newer controls to the main setup on the left. (this makes it the 3b. There are two previous Flashman Consoles, one of which still exists unused) Its really designed for ww2 aircraft (except for the small consoles on the desk, they are purely for RoF bombers) hence the trim wheels to the left of the seat. This is actually all designed mainly around IL2, and is roughly (i say roughly!!!) based upon the P$& and P51 left hand consoles. The black switch box is very much based upon the P47 as I have the A2A simulation Accusim P47 for FSX/

It all operates through a single controller, called a BU0836X. This device allows you to have upto 8 axes and 36 buttons (it says 32+ a hat switch, but theres a way to use the hat controls as a extra 4 switches). A linky to the supplier is below. Dont let the basic website put you off, this is an excellent piece of kit. I thoroughly recommend it, especially the X version. The X version us much, much simpler to connect to, though its nearlt 3 times the price of the basic model, but trust me its worth it!

http://www.leobodnar...oducts/BU0836X/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.leobodnar...oducts/BU0836X/

here is a youtube vid showing how things are connected to it.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"> … re=related.

All you do is plug the controller into your computer, via USB, and your computer and games simply see it as a joystick controller and it can be assigned and calibrated in the usual way.

The keen eyed amongst you may have noticed that there are way more than 36 switch/ button controls on this console. In fact there is actually 48 plus 6 axes. Not all of the controls work all of the time. For instance the bomber controls on the desk are 'duplicates' of unused console controls (unused in RoF that is). therefore I have a selector switch to set which set of commands operates. The same is true for the weapons panel (to the right of the left hand throttle) which operates when the weapons selector on the big desk consoles is in the up (ARMED) position.

You are of course not restricted to using just the computer to have control selection. With a bit of imagination and some confusing wiring you can make some interesting controls. For instantce the undercarraige control, the white knob on the consoile below the left hand throttle, has three positions: centre (off) up and down. However, by flicking a few switches on the console itself (therefore re-routing the wiring before it meets the BU0836X card) I can use this to operate as a hand pump undercarraige lever. For those who fly IL2 you will know some A/C such as the F4F wildcat have manual gear. I just seletc MANUAL on one switch, slect UP on another and then just pump the handle up and down. This then makes the gear go up! To lower the gear, I just select DOWN on one switch and pump away again. Here is a photo of the back of the device to give you an idea of the wiring involved. SInce I took this photo I had to add some diodes to the bottom set of wiring to avoid multiple switch trouble!

EDIT: sorry, dont know how to make the photo rotate. just click on it and you can rotate it at imageshack

The actual physical device consists of a plywood frame onto which plast 'project' boxes are mounted. Into these are fitted the switches and buttons used to operate the controls. There so much detail about these that I wont go into it here, but suffice it so say theres plenty of choice!

I then just spray painted the wooden box black (the project boxes are black already…hence the scheme!) and added labes using a label printer. All the cables pass through to the back of the board where the BU0836X is mounted and then this connects via a long USB cable. Parts are clamped down using the Saitek throttle clamps. This is all designed so it can be easily removed in moments should I need the desk space (I used to work from home so had to move it all the time).

Cost…. its not cheap! By the time I add up the materials, the tools I needed, the BU0836X, the switches, all the stuff I have bought but not used, the saitek throttles…. Im sure I could have just bought a Cougar HOTAS system or whatnot. However, hotas is not for me and I have had fun building it.

#18 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:35

…. the iron is there so my good lady can make sure my trousers have the correct creases in them, you know, for realism!

Flashman by name Flashman by nature ;) You're obviously a snappy dresser judging by your avatar pic Flash. Keeping up appearances is so important. Ensure your wife irons the creases with due care please. They should be sharp enough to draw blood :)

Then move onto double pleats :P

Ha ha…shame thats not true, in RL im a scruffy bugger! The Iron is used by the good lady. I had enough of ironing after 11 years as a soldier…..

#19 winger2

winger2

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:55

This is how I roll! This is setup for a HP O/400 bomber mission using the yoke. For fighters the yoke and right hand side throttle are removed… dont need all those levers!

Awesome! Really nice setup there!

Winger

#20 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 11 January 2011 - 13:46

@winger,

Thanks Winger, but if you think my setup is good check out some of these! Makes mine seem rather small and tame…..

Here is a chap in Australia who has built an awesome Spitfire cockpit as authentically as he can. There is a thread about it on these sim ockpit forums. page17 is a good place to see the photos.

http://www.mycockpit...-Project/page17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mycockpit.../forums/showthr … ect/page17

And this is s boeing 737 cockpit project a chap called Ian has built in his garage. Though a 737 is not a combat aircraft (though havent they made some ASW versions???) I have added this linky for a few reasons: 1) its an awesome setup, and I know because I have seen and 'flown' it! I live about an hour away from the builder and he invited me down to have a look and a go. I have to say its pretty amazing and fills half a two car garage. That was two years ago and he is contantly updating and improving it. The other reason is that his website is a Goldmine is great information, and in fact its here that I heard of the BU0836 card and via contacting Ian to thank him for his website I got invited to have a go. ANyhoo, have a look at some of the photos and like I say theres lots of useful cockpit building info there.

http://www.737ng.co.uk/help.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.737ng.co.uk/help.htm

#21 SYN_Jedders

SYN_Jedders

Posted 11 January 2011 - 13:51

SYN_Flashman is currently working on a fully operational bionic woman for the private use os SYN members!

#22 SYN_MrWolf

SYN_MrWolf

Posted 11 January 2011 - 14:21

You forgot so post this one.

#23 SYN_Flashman

SYN_Flashman

Posted 11 January 2011 - 14:57

Soryy Roen, but it appears this has happened

I suggest we do this:

#24 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 January 2011 - 18:32

Man every1 else gets all the cool stuff :) my desk consists of about 300 rootbeer cans, a whole pile of junk, guitar, record player, and a radio clock, with some cheap models. And I bet some people remember my post where I moved my computer into my living room, and put on the whole uniform :lol:

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#25 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 11 January 2011 - 18:55

You forgot so post this one.

I hope that is still a WIP and not the final version.

~S~

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#26 FionaKraus

FionaKraus

Posted 12 January 2011 - 00:04

Officially my 8 year old joystick is no match for you guys, it is like a Zaku I vs a Gundam. I can see why someone can peg me at 200+ yards and I stuggle to hit someone at point blank range. :D

#27 Chamay

Chamay

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:46

Here is my "comfortably cluttered" play room.

Attached Files

#28 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:11

HAHA! I have that same X-mas ornament set :lol:

#29 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:36

I don't have a pic of the man cave…but I do have a pic of my box.

It's the inside of a CoolerMaster HAF-X case.

No liquid cooling - but this case doesn't need it -

Front:230 x 30 mm red LED fan on/off x 1
Top:200 x 30mm fans x 2
Side:200 x 30mm fan x 1
Rear:140 x 25mm fan x 1

Attached Files

#30 gwalch

gwalch

Posted 12 January 2011 - 21:24

Chamay,don't know what to say about your cockpit,mine is so pathetically basic.Must say though how much I like the models.Only seen those of Reflected before,also great.
Cheers,Gwalch.

#31 Millst0ne

Millst0ne

Posted 12 January 2011 - 22:05

Your making me sad :D

All i have is a Logitech attack 3 joystick and a CH throttle quad duck-taped to my desk :roll:

No rudder pedals, No twisty stick, no TIR, But the one thing i can do that you fancy home cockpit owners can never do, Is dive on the back of someone with all the gear screaming "die you spoiled, rich (insert rude word here)":twisted:

#32 Millst0ne

Millst0ne

Posted 12 January 2011 - 22:06

No offense to you people who have this stuff, But i don't have money to throw around :)

#33 gwalch

gwalch

Posted 12 January 2011 - 22:18

Can I ask,as an interested though not ovrly bothered flight simm player,that has trakIR,and a simple but faithful Logitech 3d pro joystick,what would you suggest should be my next buy for the sake of enhancement?
By the way I am not interested in bombers.Does that make a difference?Are some "bits" more apt for fighters and others for bombers?
Thanks,Gwalch.

#34 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 January 2011 - 22:58

All i have is a Logitech attack 3 joystick and a CH throttle quad duck-taped to my desk :roll:

No rudder pedals, No twisty stick, no TIR, But the one thing i can do that you fancy home cockpit owners can never do, Is dive on the back of someone with all the gear screaming "die you spoiled, rich (insert rude word here)":twisted:

All I have is a stick…. You spoiled rich bastard! with your throttle control, and your duck tape, and your desk :shock: :lol:

#35 Herbs107

Herbs107

Posted 12 January 2011 - 23:01

Was sniffing around on Ebay and found this, looks cheap but they still want $300.00us for it.

Attached Files

#36 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 January 2011 - 23:04

I COULD BUY AN ENGINE FOR $300!!!!!

#37 s8n333x2

s8n333x2

Posted 12 January 2011 - 23:08

:twisted:

Attached Files

#38 Millst0ne

Millst0ne

Posted 13 January 2011 - 00:02

All I have is a stick…. You spoiled rich bastard! with your throttle control, and your duck tape, and your desk :shock: :lol:

Haha :roll:
:D :lol:

#39 O_catarM

O_catarM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:07

ImageThis would be nice addition to my set up.$700AUD :cry:

#40 gwalch

gwalch

Posted 13 January 2011 - 21:22

O,k.If no one can [or will] tell me what piece of equipment I might buy to enhance playing,is it possible that someone knows what makes are best irrespective of price?
What is that bike saddle type thing next to rOEN911'S joystick? What are all the boxes,levers and switches around Flashman's seat? An answer may be of interest to someone else,somewhere.I'm a real part timer I admit but am I alone in that too?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users