#41 Millst0ne

Millst0ne

Posted 15 January 2011 - 17:00

Yep i wanna fly that bad boy :)

#42 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 15 January 2011 - 18:04

I'll offer it to them once it is done.

I just about finished the frame for the rear fuse, I have a list of what still needs to be done.
15 items still to go! (and probably still some more after that)

#43 WF2

WF2

Posted 15 January 2011 - 18:10

Did you use the same 3D Modeling program as the Dev team? Is it to their 3D Model standards? What does the inside structure look like, all of it?

… just curious.

#44 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 15 January 2011 - 18:25

I'll offer it to them once it is done.

I just about finished the frame for the rear fuse, I have a list of what still needs to be done.
15 items still to go! (and probably still some more after that)

I believe there are a lot of standards to adhere to and a lot of specific modeling tasks to be done for a third party model creator to submit his work to the ROF team.

So building a model first and offering it to them after might not be the best route.

With your practical experience, now with creating a WWI bird too, it might be better to contact them about making a new model of a different plane to be started from scratch?

#45 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 15 January 2011 - 19:42

Womenfly2, hq_Jorri you both have very important points and I have thought of them all.

Womenfly2: unfortunately I am not using the same program, I believe they are probably using 3Ds Max, I am using Lightwave. I would like to think converting the file would be okay but it may not be… As for their standards I have studied their models and have tried to stick to the same style and build, that is the best I have been able to do.

I will render and post an image with out the skin.

hq_Jorri: I realize there are many specfics required that I don't know, and this model maybe completely useless to them, and I agree this was definitely not the way to going about this.

I don't expect them to take it because of these factors, and I will definitely not push anything.

It is true I have learned a whole lot from this bird that I can carry on to other projects.

#46 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 15 January 2011 - 19:56

Here you go.

The Buzzard's insides.

Attached Files

• Attached File  10.jpg   590.4KB   553 downloads

#47 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 15 January 2011 - 20:11

and I agree this was definitely not the way to going about this.

I disagree. Nothing like getting some hands-on experience not only with the technique but also the subject of modeling these biplanes. If you do get in contact with 777 it will only mean you'll be more ready for the job. There probably aren't any roads better than the one you're walking :)

I would love to see some more feedback from the other modelers in this topic, though, see the knowledge shared!

#48 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 15 January 2011 - 20:39

Oh I agree that this is a great way to learn, and I have learned a great deal, I was just saying it was not the greatest way that I started off, in terms of knowing the specifics and requirments of a model.

I love feedback too, and constructive criticism! :D

Anyway, I'm actually going to go work on it right now as I said I have a whole list! :lol:

#49 Millst0ne

Millst0ne

Posted 15 January 2011 - 23:23

:o What about the engine? Right know that buzzard ain't going nowhere :D ;)

#50 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 16 January 2011 - 16:28

You don't need to model the whole engine if you aren't going to see it in game, the nose that would normally be there blocks the view of the rest of the engine, so modeling it would be a waste of polys.

Which by the way I am now over my 6000 limit, oh well. :lol:

#51 piecost

piecost

Posted 17 January 2011 - 16:16

1st of 3 articles

Attached Files

#52 piecost

piecost

Posted 17 January 2011 - 16:24

2nd of 3 articles

Attached Files

#53 piecost

piecost

Posted 17 January 2011 - 16:32

3rd of 3 articles and a cutaway !

Attached Files

#54 WF2

WF2

Posted 17 January 2011 - 18:25

Very nice info there PC. Looks like more inter-structure needs to be added …. LOL!

#55 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 17 January 2011 - 18:32

This is excellent Piecost!

I'm going to have to sit myself down and get reading. Already took a real quick look, I'm loving that cross section, and the Lewis guns in the lower wings are pretty cool too.

Thanks

Interloper

#56 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 17 January 2011 - 19:28

Whew…

I read through the articles, talk about a lot of bad luck for Martinsyde.

The F.3 turned as fast or faster than a Camel! :shock: Why did they go for the Snipe :?

Unfortunately it did not give too many specifics on the perf. of the F.4, unless I missed it. I assumed it would have flown quite similar to the F.3.

Well I got to get modeling. Come Cutaway, you and I are going to get to know each other :D

#57 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 28 January 2011 - 20:26

Update!

New fuselage, radiator, undercarriage, and struts. Oooohh and colour :D I found that more colour showed of the imperfections better than the grey.

This second go has yielded a much better poly count right now I am a a total of 4654. Mind you I have removed the rear fuselage frame, which will be redone.

Next step or nextish step is to remodel the elevator and horizontal stabilizer. That one is a real trouble maker right now.

And thank you Piecost you info has been a great help!

Interloper

Attached Files

• Attached File  11a.jpg   120.41KB   677 downloads

#58 Gimpy117

Gimpy117

Posted 30 January 2011 - 19:37

hot damn that looks good!

keep up the work!!

#59 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 30 January 2011 - 23:29

Thanks Gimpy!

The count is up to about 5500 polys, I almost finished the rear fuselage frame which is looking way better than the last one, I also added some detail infront of the cockpit and enlarged the engine.

Still quite a bit to do but it is really coming together.

#60 catchov

catchov

Posted 30 January 2011 - 23:30

Yes looking good :) Like a pregnant Se5a :lol:

#61 piecost

piecost

Posted 31 January 2011 - 17:14

No problem, its looking good.

If RoF expands into the Spanish Civil War then you will have made the first plane !

#62 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 31 January 2011 - 21:04

Thanks guys!

Catchov it is a good thing she does not read the forums! :lol:

#63 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 17 February 2011 - 22:33

:D Well guys I've been really plugging away and I think I am just about finished modeling the Buzzard. I'm going to be taking a little break then I'm going to make a list of everything the F.4 needs and I am going to make sure mine has it. Then I'll make sure everything is set up correctly in terms of rigging and then I get to start unwrapping it. I imagine that will take a while as I have little experience with it.

Well I have two renders for you to check out. One a normal render and the other showing the interior bits.

Oh yes and there are 6598 polygons in the model right now.

Also if you have any ideas, or suggestions, or if you think I have done something wrong or missed something please tell me NOW! Because once I start texturing I'm not going back :(

Enjoy!

Attached Files

#64 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 17 February 2011 - 22:36

Interloper, as nice as the F4 is (well especially considering how nice it is as it's turned into quite a showpiece) I do hope to see you moving on and starting development work on a plane for Rise of Flight like Wolfpac and perhaps some others are doing :)

#65 piecost

piecost

Posted 17 February 2011 - 23:48

Very nice, I admire your skill

#66 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 18 February 2011 - 00:37

Thanks guys :D

Well Jorri right now I want to finish this Buzzard, even if just for myself.

It would be nice to use it as a portfolio/resume :) then, if anything. Perhaps I will contact them soon, I will have to think about it. I would like to know what they think of this one, just out of curiosity.

Like I said it is a break for me from this one for now.

Interloper

#67 Gimpy117

Gimpy117

Posted 21 February 2011 - 21:21

nice! lets hope we see it in game

#68 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:45

Thanks Gimpy!

I guess the chances of it getting it in the first place were slim enough :lol: , but the more time I spent with it, I realize it is not up to par with the others.

But never the less, I have just started the UV map, so that will take some time as I have little skill in terms of PS. I'll post an image or so once it looks like something.

Interloper

#69 Gimpy117

Gimpy117

Posted 15 March 2011 - 15:35

Hey it looks good to me. Heck maybe the devs could even tweak it a little before it would be put in game.

#70 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 12 April 2011 - 18:19

Well I have said that I would post an image once it started to shape up. So here it is.

I am almost done the image map, then I am going to work more on the transparency maps and bump maps.

There is already some bump texture on there mainly on the wings, rudder and horizontal stabilizer.

Attached Files

#71 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 12 April 2011 - 18:25

Looks great, Interloper! The render is fantastic!
This reminds me about creating a similar topic for the Oeffag D.III which I am working on together with my friend, but currently Iam mapping the instruments, so nothing special to show :)

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy
http://1pl.boo.pl

#72 catchov

catchov

Posted 13 April 2011 - 00:19

Nice job ! Almost as beautiful as the Se5a !

#73 piecost

piecost

Posted 14 April 2011 - 17:47

It looks fantastic, I want to fly this uberplane

#74 Gimpy117

Gimpy117

Posted 15 April 2011 - 00:22

very very nice. hopefully they'll put it in game!

#75 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:32

Thanks a lot guys!

I am glad you all like it.

I have started to mess around with the Transparency map, which I am going to have to spend some time on to get right. And I have a bad feeling that it is going to force me to also have to make maps for the specularity, reflection, etc. But Hopefully not.

Interloper

#76 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 17 April 2011 - 17:34

It is up to you, I think. It depends on where you will put the Buzzard. For example, I will have to prepare normal map, specular map and reflection map for the Oeffag. But Iam going to make it for the FSX which supports all those "goodies".
Thumbs up for your project!

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy
http://1pl.boo.pl

#77 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 17 April 2011 - 17:37

You filthy bastard. What have you done to that SE?

#78 catchov

catchov

Posted 18 April 2011 - 00:59

:oops: oops ….

#79 piecost

piecost

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:02

THE JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL AERONAUTICAL SOCIETY, PROCEEDINGS , FIFTH MEETING, 59TH SESSION

THE DEVELOPMENT OF HIGH·SPEED AIRCRAFT By Major Mayo

The Martynside F4

But meanwhile the important Martinsyde F.3 employing the Rolls Royce Falcon engine had appeared. This machine passed through various stages but finally passed into production as the F4 with the 300 Hispano-Suiza engine -an enlarged and ungeared version of the 200 Hispano-Suiza. The Martinsvde F4 was the fastest machine put into production in this countrv and I think in any country during the war. Its speed was officially recorded as 144.5 m.p.h. at 6,500ft. , which would mean, say, 147 at ground level. Its main characteristics were :­

Weight (loaded)……2,289Ibs.
H.P. …………………305
Wing area ………….329.5 sq. ft.
Weight per h.p…….7.5Ibs.
Weight per sq. ft…..6.95Ibs.

This machine had a fuselage of rather large section with a flat radiator nose. The general shape of the fuselage was of a fairly good streamline form, but it was distinctly less slender than one would have expected. A considerable sacrifice in top speed was made in order to obtain the low landing speed of about 45 m.p.h. The secret of this machine's good performance was its light loading per horse­power, achieved by excellence of general structural and detail design.

Its maximum speed was more than three times its minimum speed, which is a very good figure taking into consideration that it was designed as a military machine and not merely as a racer. I take the Martinsyde F4 as representing the highest standard of design of a high-speed machine achieved during the war.

#80 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 08 July 2011 - 13:36

You filthy bastard. What have you done to that SE?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :? :?

Looks bloody brilliant, keep going it looks like you're almost if not finished!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users