Photo
- - - - -

Now it's the throttle that will not assign...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.Bruno

Dr.Bruno

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:12

You have advised me regarding the rudder pedal assignment. When that worked, I lost aileron and elevator control assignments and could not re-set them. I successfully did that today after a routine computer cleaning scan but NOW I have lost my throttle assignment and cannot get it back. In fact, I can't even assign keys or the mouse as a throttle control. I move the "slider" (which I believe is called axis "P"), click on APPLY and nothing happens. Sometimes I truly believe that "less is more" and wonder why the designers came up with such a complicated model whereas MS's is so straight forward. I have a "RealAir" Spitfire Mk XIV that flies like a real airplane and all I had to do was download the software! B

#2 =MFC=Gunloon

=MFC=Gunloon

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:19

ROF's most finicky aspect is when you go to change ANY control the first input it reads after activating the function gets that control assigned to it.

I'll bet money you're inadvertently assigning a mouse axis instead of the desired control if your binds don't seem to work; it's absurdly easy to move the mouse a tiny bit when you double click on a control function to reassign it. Happens to everybody.

Double click the desired control function, but before you move the stick, throttle, pedals or press a button, make sure the box that pops up isn't showing 'mouse_axis_x' or 'y.' If it is, you moved the mouse, guaranteed.

Hit 'retry' and be really really careful not to move that mouse on the next go, or (as Viper69 has suggested) with your mouse cursor positioned over the desired control, flip the mouse over and click it so the optical sensor or ball have nothing to input.

Remember to save after EVERY change!

[MF] Gunloon

#3 Dr.Bruno

Dr.Bruno

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:59

This is very strange. Since my previous post I got all controls working again after a complete virus scan and defragmentation except the throttle needed to be inverted. Upon clicking that box and saving (I always save), I lost all controls again. I double click and get the box with "apply/retry/cancel" without anything such as 'mouse_axis_x' etc showing. After moving the desired control, only "retry" and 'cancel" are highlighted. There's a bug in the system and I don't know if it's mine or the game's. I will shut down completely and try again after a fresh start up. B

#4 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:48

Hmmm. You're right - it is strange!
Are you using any gaming support software that came with your joystick and do you have TIR? (I'm thinking of input conflict issues).

#5 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:03

Joystick software for this game suxs I have had nothing but trouble with it, and have said so many times. i believe they made it to suit a few of their own joyticks used while developing this game and it works fine with them. Less common sticks just dont work well and you have to reset and reset the software all the time. i dont even try and play Rof any more as its not worth the frustration, hope they will fix it before this game disappears.

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#6 Dr.Bruno

Dr.Bruno

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:38

My stick is a MS Force Feedback 2. I finally got the game to assign controls and the Camel to fly. It required closing the game and a fresh start in selecting options. Pitch and throttle needed inverting but that was successful without deleting other inputs and causing the selection process (right clicking mouse and moving controls to apply) to fail. I did nothing different other than close and restart the game. If this continues to work tomorrow, I will spend more time with the responses and the related curves. My greatest problem is with pitch. In normal flight it seems to be fine but, when attacking (ground targets, balloons, and planes) it becomes highly eratic. Could this be a contrived aspect of the game? I think so.

#7 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:58

My stick is a MS Force Feedback 2. I finally got the game to assign controls and the Camel to fly. It required closing the game and a fresh start in selecting options. Pitch and throttle needed inverting but that was successful without deleting other inputs and causing the selection process (right clicking mouse and moving controls to apply) to fail. I did nothing different other than close and restart the game. If this continues to work tomorrow, I will spend more time with the responses and the related curves. My greatest problem is with pitch. In normal flight it seems to be fine but, when attacking (ground targets, balloons, and planes) it becomes highly eratic. Could this be a contrived aspect of the game? I think so.

Don't forget to save your working inputs to a new name to preserve them. You can also copy the 'input' folder from within RoF as a backup.

It also helps to remember that you can also adjust pitch by using the throttle or blipswitch when aiming. It does take a lot of practice but it can be done. The Camel is particularly sensitive to the elevators but it is one of the most effective (and difficult) planes to learn.
Good luck.

#8 Laser

Laser

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:59

I have Saitek pedals and the MS FFB2. They work perfectly with RoF. Be aware not to work on the default input.map profile, it usually gets overwritten when a new patch appears (or when you do a restore) (EDIT: A-ha, Pigsty already told you ;) ). Also i remember somebody else had a 'erratic movement' problem with joystick, until he realized there was another input control assigned to the same axis.

@Proccy: i hope you did ask for help around, otherwise you are just too violent ("before the game disappears"). All joysticks expose a common interface for DirectInput programming, and that is supported in this simulation software. I used with this game, at various stages, the following input controls:
1. Thurstmaster HOTAS Cougar (modded, no Force feedback)
2. Thrustmaster Force Feedback joystick
3. MS FFB2 Sidewinder
4. Logitech Wingman Force 3D
5. Saitek Rudder pedals
6. Saitek Throttle Quadrant

and never had *any* problems. I even reinstalled Win 7 and the game, but kept the .map file with the settings, and they worked in the same way. Maybe it's the issue of bad input drivers that won't report the same ids to Windows (and thus to the game)? Have you tried at least once with another joystick? Are you sure you followed all the steps? If your frustration is high, either you *want* - with a passion - to play the game, or you *don't want* - with a passion - to play the game.

Also, there are some people who come from another sims, that behave as if they are forced to play RoF. At every step, they complain that things are different, that things don't work (as they are used) and that the sim is bad; it's like when playing, they are looking for the first sign of something buggy, something unhistorical or plain wrong, and if there isn't, they even imagine it (see the 'download the damn maps' issue in another thread). This is called 'satisfaction in complaining' and some type of people embrace it. Sorry for venting myself here, if one comes with open questions people here (and the devs) are very helpful, but some come as if they have a bad exam and they hate their teacher.

EDIT: I just tested on the Thrustmaster Force Feedback joystick, for the sake of it. If i use the default input.map (options window 'controls', name 'input'), the throttle will not assign, it sees the axis, it pretends to assign it, but if you move to another screen and back, it's the old value again. The fix is exactly that you have to press 'Save' once and instead of 'input' you specify another name (which creates the new .map file in the RoF/data/input folder. Then you can assign any input for any control.

#9 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:56

Many of these problems lie within the joystick itself. I switched from a Logitech 3DPro to an X52Pro and the 'spikiness' immediately disappeared without altering the response curves. I often switch between a twiststick and rudder pedals and I use the same default curves for both. The only curves I alter are elevator for the Se5a. I've experimented with others but found that they only need altering (for me) if I fly everywhere at full-throttle.

#10 Dr.Bruno

Dr.Bruno

Posted 10 November 2010 - 23:35

"Also, there are some people who come from another sims, that behave as if they are forced to play RoF. At every step, they complain that things are different, that things don't work (as they are used) and that the sim is bad; it's like when playing, they are looking for the first sign of…" (Laser)

I regret any possible complaining on my part but the system seems unusually complicated. I've flown both other sims and real aircraft (light civilian) and they are pretty easy to control and quite stable. Okay, I have gotten the system to work with my controllers and now need to either dump the bucking Camel for a more stable aircraft of figure out how to adjust the response curves to eliminate all of the porpoising. Why the erratic pitch response increases dramatically during my attacks is another matter but I shall from this point on remain mum. B

#11 Dr.Bruno

Dr.Bruno

Posted 10 November 2010 - 23:40

…this game cost me more than 50 bucks so I really do appreciate the help of those of you who have contributed advice! There are some/many very bad combat flight sims out there and I think I've bought most of them so I am eager to spend time on this one and get it to work for me. B.

#12 Dr.Bruno

Dr.Bruno

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:00

The SE5-A flies like a dream so forget the Camel! But are these models remotely accurate? Did any of the game designers fly such planes? Too many questions and too little time. Okay, let's have some fun. B

#13 Laser

Laser

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:31

Hi Bruno, i wasn't reffering to you, i was aiming to those people who don't ask, just complain. Hope your input is sorted ;)

#14 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:49

The SE5-A flies like a dream so forget the Camel! But are these models remotely accurate? Did any of the game designers fly such planes? Too many questions and too little time. Okay, let's have some fun. B

Aha!
The Camel had a very large fuel capacity which adversely alters the COG. Reduce the fuel loadout and try again.

Sadly there are no known surviving combat pilots from WW1.

#15 bakblast

bakblast

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:59

And I thought maybe I was the only one whose controllers have a mind of their own.

#16 Luscav

Luscav

Posted 23 June 2015 - 22:16

I cannot change my throttle assignment from the default - and = to my slider on my thrustmaster throttle?! I've tired double clicking on the throttle in the control/response w/o success, any suggestions?

#17 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:05

I cannot change my throttle assignment from the default - and = to my slider on my thrustmaster throttle?! I've tired double clicking on the throttle in the control/response w/o success, any suggestions?

This is where to change the throttle control. Controls/Engine Controls/Engine Control: throttle.

Attached Files

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#18 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 24 June 2015 - 23:12

Wow - necro post award nominee :)

Not sure exactly what you mean by "double clicking on the throttle in the control/response", but that may be part of your problem - you need to just single click in one of the three boxes/columns next to the desired command assignment, and then move your throttle controller before you move anything else (including your mouse, which can be a little tricky)- the game should recognize that movement and put a reference to that joystick throttle axis in that box you clicked in.  If you see your mouse show up in that box, it just means you moved your mouse by accident before you moved your throttle controller - just click on retry and try it again till it works.

Good luck!

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 65.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users