Photo
- - - - -

Rise of Flight compare utility

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#41 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 08 March 2011 - 18:22

I'm another that hadn't heard of your viewer until now. You need some advertising! I bookmarked your page. Thanks for the great work!

#42 Flying_Dutchman

Flying_Dutchman

Posted 09 March 2011 - 16:44

You need some advertising!

Where better that here? 8-)
The best way… spread the word!!! :D

#43 -Ginge-

-Ginge-

Posted 09 March 2011 - 19:10

Great job. I have just spent a very interesting 10 minutes comparing aircraft.

A really easy way to compare planes ready for a quick mission

#44 Flying_Dutchman

Flying_Dutchman

Posted 23 March 2011 - 23:53

S!

I've updated the viewer.

Added a Aircraft Timeline option and also made the Breguet 14.B2 selectable in the viewer.

www.rof-viewer.nl

@HotTom
Thank for the pointer to the data for the timeline option!!!
Ok to mention your name on my site??

#45 Flying_Dutchman

Flying_Dutchman

Posted 18 June 2011 - 14:07

S!

Added the 2 Bristol F2B's to the timeline and the viewer.
Updated the data for the DFC-CV and the Breguet 14.B2

www.rof-viewer.nl

#46 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 18 June 2011 - 16:48

Thank you very much! :)

#47 TURBOPossum

TURBOPossum

Posted 18 June 2011 - 17:05

This should be stickied… I'd never even heard of this before.

#48 Endy

Endy

Posted 18 June 2011 - 17:49

I knew this was in production, but had forgotten about it.
I now have it saved in my Favorites folder under my Rise of Flight section.
This is a great utility, and the timeline too. :S!:
Thanks very much for this. :D

Maybe it could go under the Useful Materials. :?:

#49 BH_Vfw_Klaue

BH_Vfw_Klaue

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:42

S! Thank you for such a quality job. :S!:

#50 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:55

Here's a chart I found which you should include.

#51 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 19 June 2011 - 13:56

Hi Dutchman, thank you for the utility. I noticed a couple things on the timeline.

Production of the Albatros D.III OAW did not begin until June 1917, so I would guess that July would be the front-line delivery month. Some Albatros D.IIIs were still in active service into the late Summer of 1918.

The earliest that the SE5a with the Wolseley Viper engine reached the front would have been February 1918, according to the aerodrome folks: http://www.theaerodr...per-engine.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theaerodr...com/forum/aircr … ngine.html

It might be interesting to include some of the important variants that RoF is missing in your chart, like the Johannisthal D.III and the Hispano engined SE5a.

Normally, powerloading is weight/power (lower numbers are better). It would also make sense to use units from the same measurement system, i.e. kg/(kilo)watt, lb/hp, etc.

Again, aircraft power-loading is weight/power. :S!:

#52 Flying_Dutchman

Flying_Dutchman

Posted 19 June 2011 - 22:29

It might be interesting to include some of the important variants that RoF is missing in your chart, like the Johannisthal D.III and the Hispano engined SE5a.

Well, when aircraft become flyable i'll add them in the viewer & timeline.
The viewer is for RoF aircraft and not aircraft you won't come across in game.
(lets hope i have to add a lot of aircraft though)

Would you quote you're source on the Albatros D-III production / into service data plz.

#53 Flying_Dutchman

Flying_Dutchman

Posted 20 June 2011 - 22:29

…Production of the Albatros D.III OAW did not begin until June 1917, so I would guess that July would be the front-line delivery month. Some Albatros D.IIIs were still in active service into the late Summer of 1918.

Updated the timeline for the D-III.
According to the windsock datafile special Albatros D-III, the OAW build fighter flew until autumn 1918.

#54 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 20 June 2011 - 23:27

Any chance you could update your first post with a link to the latest version of this cool-looking tool? It would be nice to save folks the hassle of hunting through page after page trying to find the link.

Also, I take it that this is an on-line-only, web-based tool, rather than something you can download - is that correct? I was going to ask how you get the thing to scroll down, because I was not successful trying to mouse-wheel it, but I finally figured out you can click in the window and then use the up/down keys to scroll. Might be a good idea to either add a scroll bar or at least a note about scrolling with the up/down keys, for those folks like me who have gotten so used to scrolling with the mouse that it takes us a while to remember the keys can do it too.

Very nice little tool - thanks for sharing it :S!:

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#55 Flying_Dutchman

Flying_Dutchman

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:55

:S!: Panthercules

Any chance you could update your first post with a link to the latest version of this cool-looking tool? It would be nice to save folks the hassle of hunting through page after page trying to find the link.
Done! (pst.. its in my signature also, not clickable though)

Also, I take it that this is an on-line-only, web-based tool, rather than something you can download - is that correct?
Indeed, webbased only.

I was going to ask how you get the thing to scroll down, because I was not successful trying to mouse-wheel it, but I finally figured out you can click in the window and then use the up/down keys to scroll. Might be a good idea to either add a scroll bar or at least a note about scrolling with the up/down keys, for those folks like me who have gotten so used to scrolling with the mouse that it takes us a while to remember the keys can do it too.
What screen resolution do you use?
The size of the viewer in the browser window is 1024x715 pixels.
Maybe using ctrl+scrollwheel (to zoom) is a option?

Very nice little tool - thanks for sharing it :S!:
Thanks, you're welcome.
Had a great time building it, and enjoy maintaining it! :D

Didn't expect that it would be used so frequently, at the time of writing nearly 2200 hits (hitcounter added after the actual "release")

#56 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 21 June 2011 - 14:27

What screen resolution do you use?
The size of the viewer in the browser window is 1024x715 pixels.
Maybe using ctrl+scrollwheel (to zoom) is a option?

I use 1920x1200, my monitor's native resolution, and Mozilla Firefox as a browser (for some reason, IE works like crap now with a lot of web sites since I updated it to version 9, so I hardly ever use it anymore). When I click your link, the tool shows up in a medium/small window, with lots of dead space around it, cutting off about 3-4 lines of info. My mouse wheel would not work to scroll it (didn't think to try Ctrl+wheel), and I could not click/drag it with my mouse, which is why I was having trouble seeing it all until it dawned on me that my cursor up/down keys would work to scroll it, as long as I had clicked into the window first.

Now that I know that, it's not a big deal, but it was kinda frustrating for a while not being able to see the whole thing.

[edit] just tried ctrl+wheel - it zooms the whole tool window in and out, but doesn't expand it to expose the hidden info rows and doesn't scroll up/down within the window. And I noticed that when I do use my up/down keys to scroll, only one side of the viewer scrolls at a time (depending on which side I clicked on first), so I have to do it twice basically - it would be nice if both sides would scroll together, so the comparison info would stay together side-by-side (or if the window could be expanded a bit in the vertical dimension so scrolling wouldn't be needed).

Still, all in all a very nice little gizmo - I'm glad I found this thread.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#57 Flying_Dutchman

Flying_Dutchman

Posted 21 June 2011 - 15:32

… Mozilla Firefox as a browser (for some reason, IE works like crap now with a lot of web sites since I updated it to version 9, so I hardly ever use it anymore)..

I'm using FireFox (version 4.0.1) also for the same reason :D
Tested the site in Opera (version 11.10) to, and looks the same there.

This is what my screen looks like on the native 1680x1050 resolution.

#58 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 21 June 2011 - 17:29

… Mozilla Firefox as a browser (for some reason, IE works like crap now with a lot of web sites since I updated it to version 9, so I hardly ever use it anymore)..

I'm using FireFox (version 4.0.1) also for the same reason :D
Tested the site in Opera (version 11.10) to, and looks the same there.

This is what my screen looks like on the native 1680x1050 resolution.

That's weird - mine looks like this:

I guess it must be something about my Firefox settings (not very used to the intricacies of that browser), but I haven't found anything yet that seems to affect this.

[EDIT - FOUND IT - I forgot I had jacked up my font size settings to make things more readable on websites generally, and that had the effect of making the content in your window too big to fit. When I shrank the font size back down it looked like your with no spillover or scrolling. Sorry for the false alarm :oops:

#59 Flying_Dutchman

Flying_Dutchman

Posted 21 June 2011 - 19:22

No problem!
Glad it's ok now!

#60 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 21 June 2011 - 20:21

Good job Flying_Dutchman,
many thanks! :S!:

#61 Flying_Dutchman

Flying_Dutchman

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:50

….

The earliest that the SE5a with the Wolseley Viper engine reached the front would have been February 1918, according to the aerodrome folks: http://www.theaerodr...per-engine.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theaerodr...com/forum/aircr … ngine.html ….

Updated SE5a Viper on the timline and "entered service" in the viewer.

#62 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 05 August 2011 - 21:27

Super cool utility FD.

Sorry,a no content post ! Just to say thanks !! :S!:

#63 Rexmundi

Rexmundi

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:17

Great piece of work, thanks!

#64 Flying_Dutchman

Flying_Dutchman

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:03

Thank you all for the compliments, here on the forum and through e-mail. :S!:

I've discovered that there are several websites with links to the viewer.
Very honoured!

The hitcounter is showing some overheating from time to time. ;)

#65 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 14 August 2011 - 10:01

This is just what was needed. An easy to use A/C comparison and timeline utility. This is a very helpful resource and it looks super cool too. Great design. Many thanks. I've bookmarked it of course, :) :S!:

#66 SAtar

SAtar

Posted 15 August 2011 - 15:23

Thanks a lot for this tool!

Any chance to have wingload added? This can give an idea of turn performance.

More difficult would be probably to find data on turn rate, corner speed, best climb speed. If it is possible to make a database where everyone can add data on their favorite planes after some tests with time it will grow to a more or less reliable reference.

#67 Flying_Dutchman

Flying_Dutchman

Posted 24 August 2011 - 19:57

Viewer updated - SPAD VII 150/180 HP

I'm officially SPADdicted now ;)

The viewer is now on it's own domainname.
http://www.rof-viewer.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.rof-viewer.nl

#68 Endy

Endy

Posted 31 August 2011 - 20:29

Wow, you updated that quick… :S!:

Thank you.

#69 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 31 August 2011 - 22:50

You need to adjust the Spad 7 airspeed stats. The store pages gives TAS, not IAS, regardless of what it says.

#70 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 01 September 2011 - 14:17

Thank you :S!:

#71 piecost

piecost

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:06

Nice work Flying_Dutchman,

This tool is becoming essential as the number of planes increases and hopefully it will aid and encourage new players as well.

I have been compiling a comparison of the planes based on testing, you are welcome to incorporate any information which you consider useful.

RoF Cheat Sheet

#72 Flying_Dutchman

Flying_Dutchman

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:23

S! Gentlemen,

I've added a new option in my viewer site.
I though it would be handy to have a sheet with aircraft availability per month.
In the menu there is that option now "Timeline per Month".

Do you consider this added value?
Please feel free to give feedback!

http://www.rof-viewer.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rof-viewer.nl

#73 SYN_MrWolf

SYN_MrWolf

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:26

I like it and certainly think it's adde value FD.

#74 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:47

Good update..

#75 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:40

I think it's a great addition, but I seem to be running across several months during 1917 in which the DFW is the only Central Powers aircraft shown. I'm still playing around with my font settings in case that's causing the problem (I remember having problems several months ago with not being able to scroll because my font settings were too big or some such thing).

#76 Flying_Dutchman

Flying_Dutchman

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:45

Hi PH,

… but I seem to be running across several months during 1917 in which the DFW is the only Central Powers aircraft shown.
This shows that there are some gaps to fill in that timeperiod ;).
Over time this will be solved (I hope).

I'm still playing around with my font settings in case that's causing the problem (I remember having problems several months ago with not being able to scroll because my font settings were too big or some such thing).
From the post some time ago :D
[EDIT - FOUND IT - I forgot I had jacked up my font size settings to make things more readable on websites generally, and that had the effect of making the content in your window too big to fit. When I shrank the font size back down it looked like your with no spillover or scrolling. Sorry for the false alarm :oops:

#77 Riemann73

Riemann73

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:21

Maybe we need your help for FeOW purpose. I will contact you next week via FeOW forum. Thanks.

#78 Flying_Dutchman

Flying_Dutchman

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:10

Maybe we need your help for FeOW purpose. I will contact you next week via FeOW forum. Thanks.

Ok, don't know what you have in store for me, but i'll help if I can ;)!

#79 Riemann73

Riemann73

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:00

Something related to Tier Concept :twisted:

#80 Riemann73

Riemann73

Posted 27 October 2011 - 21:36

What about to make the plane icons in the new feature clickable to the plane page ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users