Photo
- - - - -

Thrustmaster T.16000m Modification.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan

Jonathan

Posted 27 October 2010 - 23:44

I wrote a quick post in the general discussion forum, but I figured I'd get more information in the Plane control devices forum.

I am going to be getting a thrustmaster t.16000m joystick pretty soon, as I've begun to despise my logitech 3D force pro. Once I get the new joystick, I want to use it as a base for a simple sim-pit. WW1 aircraft don't require as many switches and buttons as later aircraft, so I think the 15-ish buttons plus hatswitch will be plenty.

As some of you know, I have modded my 3D force pro into a floor stick by simply lengthening the wires and using a piece of curtain rod as an extension. However, I cannot reach the buttons on the base if the joystick as a result. With this new project, I want to gut the T.16000m and replace the default buttons with switches that I will purchase at my local electronics store. I will then mount these buttons and switches in easy to reach locations.

I don't have much experience with this sort of thing though, so I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with electronics such as this. Any help would be appreciated.

-Jonathan-

#2 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 29 October 2010 - 17:57

You may want to look for spring return switches maybe. That way the buttons arent on or off, they are only on till you let go. Unless you want them to be. Most buttons on sticks are open contacts and only close when pushed. What functions are you going to be performing with the switches, maybe thats a better question for me to ask.

#3 Aelyshe

Aelyshe

Posted 29 October 2010 - 18:16

Jonathan,

I really do not possess the knowledge you are looking for and for that I am sorry. I just wanted to let you know (if you do not already know)that the throttle/throttle slider on the Thrustmaster T.16000m does not work on ROF and you might want to look into getting a throttle quadrant of some sort (I suggest the Saitek Pro Flight) if you dont already have one. Just a heads up!

Cheers

Aelyshe

#4 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 29 October 2010 - 18:19

I thought about doing this with my old Logitech Extreme 3D Pro because.. why not? It's a garbage stick that I don't care if I ruin :)

My idea was to use a yard sale ski pole to extend the stick, and to simply screw the existing base into a piece of white pine to give it a better foundation. In theory it shouldn't be *that* hard to do. However, ya gotta wonder if the increased leverage you're then able to exert on the stick might lead you to inadvertently snap the thing at the base rather easily.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#5 Jonathan

Jonathan

Posted 30 October 2010 - 00:42

Warning: Lots of pictures.

Jay, be VERY crareful with ski poles, if it is made of fiberglass, don't cut it! I once got a handfull of figerglass slivers from a broken ski pole, and I can assure you, you DON'T want that! If its an older metal one though, be my guest.

Thank you for the information about the thottle slider Aelyshe. I already own a throttle quadrant (and love it). I'm thinking of getting a second one for when the bombers come out.

Also, here is a photo of my modded Logitech Force 3D Pro that I use. It was very easy to do. All I really did was lengthen the wires and run them through a metal curtain rod. Simple as can be. However, it doesn't change the fact that the joystick was, and will always be a piece of junk.

I have come across some images of the interior of the T.16000m. I'll post them here.

Unfortunately, it looks like the joystick doesn't use "normal" switches, but instead uses pressure sensitive (or some other kind of sensitive) plates, much like modern keyboards. This means I won't be able to solder new buttons in their place. However, I will still be able to lengthen the stick without problems.

I came across something interesting here. http://www.simprojec...ct_switches.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.simprojec...ct_switches.htm

Apparently it is quite simple to take an old keyboard and use it as a base for as many switches as you need. I think I will take this route, as it is cheap and relatively simple.

I am a visual person, so I have sketched up a very very simple diagram of what I am going to do. Image

As you can see from this very professional looking diagram (obviously created by a very talented artist. I bet he's cute, too!) the only real electronic component I will be using from the joystick is the gimbal and hall sensor. The rest of the electronic components will be moved out of the way somewhere. I will then use an old keyboard to create all the switches and buttons I need (blip switch, triggers, left and right engine start for bombers, etc…). I can then just run the wires up through the joystick shaft and install them on the custom made stick.

Does anyone with more knowledge see any problems with this design? If so, do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

#6 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:55

Dayum. Please update us on your progress =)

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#7 Armincles

Armincles

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:54

I wonder why no manufacturer has thought of a floor standing joystick,Im sure a lot of us would get one.
Put a patent on it! :geek:

#8 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 30 October 2010 - 15:41

I just wanted to let you know (if you do not already know)that the throttle/throttle slider on the Thrustmaster T.16000m does not work on ROF and you might want to look into getting a throttle quadrant of some sort

Total BS here; the throttle slider of the T16000 works just fine in ROF, at least in my home.

#9 Cary_King

Cary_King

Posted 25 November 2010 - 20:00

I really do not possess the knowledge you are looking for and for that I am sorry. I just wanted to let you know (if you do not already know)that the throttle/throttle slider on the Thrustmaster T.16000m does not work on ROF and you might want to look into getting a throttle quadrant of some sort (I suggest the Saitek Pro Flight) if you dont already have one. Just a heads up!

Little configuring I got my slider to work also

#10 DDawg1956

DDawg1956

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:27

I just wanted to let you know (if you do not already know)that the throttle/throttle slider on the Thrustmaster T.16000m does not work on ROF and you might want to look into getting a throttle quadrant of some sort

Total BS here; the throttle slider of the T16000 works just fine in ROF, at least in my home.
I concur … I too use a T-16000M … throtle slider works just fine, though its a bit lacking … takes a bit to get your thumb trained … I just use a blip switch … buttona are nice to have … besides … I love the precision this stick offers …

that's a cool idea on extending the stick …

#11 Kudlius

Kudlius

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:35

Best way is to use momentum buttons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users