Photo
- - - - -

Trip to Stripelandia

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 26 September 2010 - 22:49

I created this video as a way to hopefully show the infamous "shimmer" that some of us ATI users can experience to varying degrees in this wonderful sim (so the rest of you don't think we're just totally crazy!)… but it turned into something else as well:

It became for me a flight of fantasy of sorts. a quick fly-by look at the landscape, the clouds and how trees and objects are rendered and at what distance (I've all settings on "High" or the equivalent)… and as it turns out… of what can happen if you fly clean off of the map… into Stripelandia! :lol:

Be aware that this is created with the F11 camera being manipulated (flown) across the landscape so make sure to refer to other Rise of Flight videos for a true representation of the game, it's planes, it's FM, DM and major fun factor.

The sense of flight is phenomenal!
Best sim ever IMHO!

I'm using an overclocked Q9550, 8gig memory, ATI HD5770 with newest drivers (always updated).
All settings in game are at their max… and I use "rain drops" and VSync.
On the CCC I have everything as game controlled, but have disable ATI catalyst unchecked and Open GL settings is checked.

I think you'll have to agree that this video really does show the "shimmers"… but that could be that the effect is augmented and more pronounced because of the speed of the camera's track across the landscape. A speed that our WWI crates can't normally attain. :D

To varying degrees I believe this is what a lot of us see while playing.
I remember this being a problem with the first Silent Hunter for quite a while… but it was eventually fixed.
My vote is to have this corrected as soon as possible… as it is a definite immersion killer (this post is really about the shimmers, not seeing Stripelandia necessarily! Ha!)

#2 catchov

catchov
  • LocationQld, Australia

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:00

Are you totally crazy kirock :lol: Did you ever get out of the badlands :) I've heard people go there and are never heard of again :shock: Spooks me out man. Gives me the shimmers :P

#3 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:04

Are you totally crazy kirock :lol: Did you ever get out of the badlands :) I've heard people go there and are never heard of again :shock: Spooks me out man. Gives me the shimmers :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Too funny!

#4 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:19

I've never seen anything like that while playing RoF.

#5 ROSS_DiFiS

ROSS_DiFiS

Posted 27 September 2010 - 14:23

early RoF :)
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vSkQqWrQYII" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">

#6 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 27 September 2010 - 15:25

early RoF :)
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vSkQqWrQYII" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">

Interesting. The trees seem to render more gradually and I don't see the shimmers being anywhere near as pronounced. Hummm… Is the newer version of the F11 camera possibly moving faster now?

BTW in case there was a question: I do have my Trees/Forest setting on "Far".

It'd be nice if we could figure this out! :lol:

#7 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 27 September 2010 - 15:34

Interesting. The trees seem to render more gradually and I don't see the shimmers being anywhere near as pronounced. Hummm… Is the newer version of the F11 camera possibly moving faster now?

That's because of the weather. As soon as some haze is added the shimmers are gone.

#8 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 27 September 2010 - 22:58

Because looking at the original video may be misleading… I'd like to demonstrate something to those of us in the community that have never seen the shimmers (or visitors who've never played.)

The shimmers come and go for those of us that have them. I firmly believe it depends on numerous factors to even make them a problem.
Altitude, map location, weather… it all makes a difference and the video I originally posted (although it is one of the only videos I've seen that actually demonstrates the worst shimmers) is NOT representative of the game and how it plays… even for ATI card owners.

Because looking at the original video may be misleading here is a brief, unedited piece of video that I just recorded (I had just reset the CCC 3D section, "All" to Default)… and this is how it looked (the shimmers are dang near gone or at least negligible:

I just didn't want visitors or newbs thinking that the game looked as bad as it did in the original "Trip to Stripelandia". It can look a lot better when you're not manipulating the cameras or forcing settings.

Does that make sense? :?

#9 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:28

LMFAO! :lol: :lol: 13 views!!

#10 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 28 September 2010 - 15:02

Here's another. :D

That video was quickly followed by this note from YouTube:

Your video may include content that is owned or administered by these entities:

* Entity: Sony Music Entertainment Content Type: Sound Recording

As a result, your video is blocked in these locations:
Austria, Belgium, Chile, Colombia, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Malaysia, Norway, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Venezuela

Sorry, guys!

#11 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 28 September 2010 - 15:47

Yep, that's what us shimmer sufferers have to live with (sigh)..

What makes it so annoying, was that it was perfect pre 1.012 :roll:

#12 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 29 September 2010 - 21:54

Here's another. :D

That video was quickly followed by this note from YouTube:

Your video may include content that is owned or administered by these entities:

* Entity: Sony Music Entertainment Content Type: Sound Recording

As a result, your video is blocked in these locations:
Austria, Belgium, Chile, Colombia, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Malaysia, Norway, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Venezuela

Sorry, guys!

Boy, 4 views. That's hot right there. ;) :D So basically a quarter of the world can't see this brilliance? They don't know what hey're missing out on. :cry:

#13 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 29 September 2010 - 22:02

Just think of the shimmer as a heat haze coming off the ground in the sun :)

Also that other video is messed up Kirrock! Good work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users