Photo
- - - - -

The Camel Fag: Episode V [Vaal & VikS, Jasta 2, Chimpy]

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 22 September 2010 - 18:10

Yesterday night on a dedicated server far,
far away. . . .

Table of Contents

· Foreword

· Your Voice and Opinions

· Acemakers: Vaal & VikS

· Meet the Squadron: Jasta 2 "Boelcke"

· Centerfold: "Fight for the Sky" by GRAF

· Flyer Tutorials and Printed References

· Rendez-vous in the Skies

· A Fond Welcome

Foreword

Here we are again with The Camel Fag: Episode V!

So is the sequel better than the original? And did we really have to skip three episodes, call the second one number five, then realise it was a bad idea, make a Special Edition of the first one calling it number four and then finally make three extremely bad prequels that ruin the entire series? (starting with The Pup Fag, Episode I: The Sopwith Menace)

Okay, let me be serious for a minute here.

Thank you!

Yes, you! No, not you there. But you! And YOU!

Thank you for your warm welcome of The Camel Fag and thank you even more for making this second one possible.

I've tried my very best to make this worth the two week wait since the first issue. Amongst familiar sights and a visit to Jasta 2, a most remarkable squadron, you will find a brand new article, the first in a series revealing the faces behind the bandits on your six.

I don't have a silly one-liner to end this foreword with. I can only express my deepest gratitude towards you. Once again, I can take credit for nothing here, this is all yours. Well, except for the millions I'm making in tobacco advertising, of course, but that's just to cover the publishing costs.

S!

- Bender

Once more with special thanks to Jorri of Les Hellequins for his continuing support. He has something really cool coming up. . . .

Your Voice and Opinions

Once again, we just could not shut up on the forums, these past two weeks. Two very talented pilots have something to say about that later on in this issue, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

These are some of the most constructive ideas and debates you've come up with lately.

Community Showcase - 08 October 2010 @ 11.00pm GMT [http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=13303]

This first thread is an invitation by rising star Chimpy, to come and partake in a community online formation flying event in honour of neoqb becoming 777 Studios. Make sure to be there and become part of Rise of Flight history!

More info on this event later on in this issue.

Refighting A New WW1 - An Idea For An M.P. Campaign [http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9049]

A persistent online campaign is the dream of many simmers here. Porco_Rosso shares his eloquent take on the concept with us.

Gunnery advice [http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=13330]

A reflection by Reflected on gunnery. A very interesting discussion ensues.

Sun Glare: The effect is far too weak IMO. [http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=13366]

Last issue I had the pleasure of welcoming Dearmad to the community. This time round I'm already presenting one of his threads, discussing the pertinent issue of sun glare - both the greatest ally and greatest foe to a Great War scout pilot. LOFT immediately replies stating that the new sun glare effect is in the works and spills a developer screenie. If that isn't feedback to the community, I don't know what is.

Interesting article about "No allowance shooting" [http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3093026/Interesting_article_about_No_a.html]

On SimHQ, Damocles links to an informative article on No deflection shooting [http://freespace.virgin.net/john.dell/Nodeflect.htm]. A must read.

Making a skin for this D.vIII …? [http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=13145]

Seeing a reproduction of one of these magnificent Great Warbirds come to life is a pleasure indeed. Womenfly2 requests your assistance in bringing proper homage to this Fokker D.VIII project by creating a matching paint scheme. Also have a look at this extensive amount of books and DVDs she recommends [http://www.collectors-edition.de/f-t-s_buchbestellung_english.htm].

The Factory Trick (video with half roll again, obviously) [http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=13365]

Have a look at this trick Laser is challenging you to pull off. Do try this at home!

Developer Assistance [http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewforum.php?f=315]

Last but not least, have a look at this subforum, where your help is being sollicited by the developers. Don't let this opportunity slip!

Forum tip

Private messages are an excellent way of communicating with other members of the community, away from the public threads. Apart from its more obvious uses, moving a heated discussion on a sensitive topic to private messages can be a very effective way to defuse an otherwise explosive situation and find common ground again. E.g. What is the best way to grill a steak? Rare, medium or Nieuport 28?

Did I miss something important here? Let me know!

Acemakers: Vaal & VikS

Unknown often means unloved. The Camel Fag brings you a portrait of the real person behind the ace on your six. Hopefully, any fear or jealousy of their skill you might experience, will turn into respect and admiration for their dedication. This week, I'm particularly proud to present you the first Q&A with two of my personal idols; without a doubt some of Rise of Flight's finest fighter pilots.

Without further ado:

THE CAMEL FAG: How did you get involved with Rise of Flight and what is your previous flightsim experience?

Vaal: I started with IL-2 in early 2004, mostly used it online. Also spent a few months in LockOn. I watched Rise of Flight from the first announcement of its development, it was Knights of the Sky back then. I was waiting for this simulator.

VikS: I got my first PC back in 1998 as well as my first flightsim - Red Baron 2. Mostly I was flying the offline campaign until 1999, when I got a dialup modem and joined German Jasta 37 online squad. After that, most of my time was spent in online battles.

I tried some other flightsims such as WWII Fighters, Combat Flight Simulator, European Air War, and then jumped into WarBirds in 2000, where I joined =Flying BARANS= squad. I also spent some time flying Aces High.

Then in the Fall of 2001, IL-2 came out, so there is where most of my flight time was spent until 2005. Some results of this flying is described below.

=Flying BARANS= History [http://www.barans.ru/en/history.htm].

Besides just flying and having fun, some of us decided to make a project for IL-2 online wars and so Gennadich Team started (then turned into neoqb, and now we are 777 Studios). A bit later, in 2006, we came to a bigger idea - a new flightsim project, first it was known as Knights of the Sky, but later it turned into the Rise of Flight which all of you know now. (smiles)

TCF: You two are very talented pilots, what is your secret? How much of it is talent and how much is training?

VikS: There is no actual secret and special training, if you want to evolve over yourself - find the way to put yourself in any situation and find the way out, stand up when you've fallen and go further, find the hardest opponent - and work to get over him. Get the best from your defeats and turn it into your further victories.

As for me personally - it's not just an empty fight against anyone, but working in a team and the pleasure of what you get as a result. Putting yourself in place of real pilots back in the day, knowledge about tactics and aviation history, airplane construction and everything that roars the skies!

Vaal: I do not think this is a talent, just a lot of flying in 2004-2006 in IL-2, getting experience. There is no kind of special training - mostly a lot of flying on VEF2, "Vinni" dogfight server in 1 vs 1 duels (this server is the place with some of the most powerful Russian pilots in IL-2). And now I'm using this experience.

95% - regular flying
5% - talent

VikS, flaming Camel fags since 1998.

TCF: What's the best advice that you can give to a new player?

Vaal: Always in case of defeat look for reasons in yourself and your mistakes, rather than in an airplane, joystick or game. Do not fear any opponent, but show respect. Less writing on the forum and reading it - more flying.

VikS: More flying - less talking, let your guns talk for you. (laughs)

One very important note - the final part of every air combat - is the gunfire. Practice your shooting anytime, as the very important part of success - is your gunnery. Remember: no hits - no kills.

TCF: What's the best advice that you can give to a veteran player who is trying hard to get better but feels like he's hit his peak?

VikS: Just take a little break, as everything should be in balance. So if you feel that you are empty - find the way back to the passion of your lifetime hobby. Switch over your mind.
Otherwise if you hit the ceiling - you can leave it with excuses, but if you like it - enjoy the things as they are and stop crying.

Vaal: Look for other ways and radically change tactics. Try to become unpredictable. And sometimes turn off your brain. You have an enemy at your six, and you are about to die 99% for sure …but maybe not? FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE!

Stop fearing to lose your stats and streaks, it limits you!

Vaal spots you in his brand new Eindecker.

TCF: What are your favourite planes to fight in online and why?

Vaal: I prefer maneuverable aircraft - Camel, Dr.I, Pfalz D.IIIa - because I love to turnfight, not run or boom 'n zoom; and these planes can fight multiple opponents simultaneously.

VikS: Se5a and Camel/Dr.I.

Se5a is a fast and rugged plane with good maneuverability, you have a good chance to choose when and how to fight. If you are in trouble - you can always save your a[ss] by diving or running away. From other side - you need to be smart to get all of these advantages and it requires good marksmanship to succeed. So if you like to think a few moves ahead - you'll like it. And yeah - it looks like a sport car!

Camel and Dr.I - these two are for bloody fighting on the deck. Both are really different, but very close in mood. Both take alot of skill to control - as you are on the edge the whole time, cause if you don't - you are toast.

Camel is very sharp on controls - one harsh move - and here is the spin, it makes you get used to sensitive controls and spin on demand - even if you don't like it.

Dr.I is "on rudder" plane, its left turn is a nightmare but when you master it - you can do crazy things in helicopter style. (smiles)

These two are very fun to fly and take some skill, so if you like to have troubles and bring troubles to others - it's your best choice. (laughs)

TCF: Thank you, VikS and Vaal!

Weapons of Choice

Vaal

· Stick: Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback 2
· Throttle: CH ProThrottle
· View: Hatswitch only

VikS

· Stick: CH Fighterstick USB
· Throttle: CH ProThrottle
· Pedals: VKB Pedals
· View: Hatswitch only

Would you like to see a Q&A with other aces? Let me know!

When asked about becoming a better pilot, both pilots apparently allude to something akin to Zen. ("be in balance" and "turn off your brain")

This topic is very interesting and will be revisited in a later issue.

Meet the Squadron: Jasta 2

This week, The Camel Fag visits the chaps over at Jasta 2 for a friendly chat and exchange of ideas.

A group interview unfolded, mostly with their squadron CO J2_VonKost, as well as with J2_Parazaine, J2_Sturm and newcomer J2_von Bremerhaven.

Apologies in advance for the length of the interview (it's still not even close to the full transcript) and the slice of gonzo journalism. The cold beer served in their squadron cantina may have also had something to do with that.

THE CAMEL FAG: Who came up with the idea of Jasta 2?

Von Kost: It was about a week before I joined, Nigel (former Jasta 2 CO) wanted to start a Central squad for American people. An American timezone squad.

And he was gonna pick Jasta 11. The most recognisable. I'm glad he didn't pick this one after all, with JG1 group already having a bunch of Jastas in them. We didn't want to be confused with them. The more I read about Jasta 2, the more I got motivated. So we picked Jasta "Boelcke" to portray and I couldn't be happier with that choice.

Nigel started the website with another guy that he knew and they were running it up until January or February. Then the whole thing disappeared.

He wanted to take it all down. Three or four of us still wanted to play. So I got motivated and made the website we have now… with my zero web skills (laughs) me and Von Huetz were gonna pick it up and keep going. I'm the Staffel Fuehrer and he's the Adjutant, it's a partnership. We're easy to agree on things.

TCF: You all knew from the start that you wanted to fly Central planes mostly?

Von Kost: Well, that's funny, cause I never flew Central. If the IRFC would have been created before Jasta 2, I would've flown with those guys, I was flying with Mols, Comet and Darling. But then I thought I'd give Central a shot one day and I've never looked back, I've always enjoyed it and bought books about the planes and everything. I don't want to fly allied anymore. (laughs)

TCF: Don't you ever feel that you're the underdogs when flying Central planes?

Von Kost: (thinks deeply) I guess that depends who you ask, really, cause sometimes we fly the easy planes and sometimes not because Camels are overmodeled. (laughs) It's all in people's perceptions.

Parazaine: The more I fly, the more I see what the strengths of the Entente planes are. If flown properly, you shouldn't stand a chance in the Central planes. It's true, I get a bit fixated on my multiplayer stats which aren't all that good. I know it's not an accurate indication of anything.

TCF: No, on the contrary. As gavagai once said on the forum: some of the best pilots fly Central and have kill/death ratios below one.

Sturm: Jumping onto a server like Syndicate is a good thing. You do have to put up with quite a lot of death in the beginning but you need that to improve.

Parazaine: That's exactly how I learned. I jumped in on the days of ToW when IRFC were the main players on there and I was getting killed left right and center, but I learned a lot from doing that. It's the best way to learn, jump right in the deep end and you either die or get better.

Von Kost: One thing I would recommend against is joining the newbie server that has the newbie settings. We all came up through the 'no help' settings. No extra helps at all. I think that's the best way to come up. I think doing the newbie stuff just teaches you bad habits.

We have fun. We try to concentrate on the planes Jasta 2 actually flew, the Albatros fighters, the Dr.I and D.VII. Some guys fly Pfalzes. If you see Luger and Fokkertross, they're two brothers from Sweden, they seem to love the Pfalzes. They fly the D.XII and stuff. The squadron favourite is the triplane… except for von Bremerhaven, he likes the D.VII, but excuse him, he's new. (smiles)

Von Kost (center) about to take Parazaine (left) and von Bremerhaven (right) out hunting for Entente scum.

TCF: The Dr.I isn't easy to fly, you have to really master that plane to be proficient with it.

Von Kost: Yeah, you have to fly it and fly it and fly until you don't crash it. And then I got rudder pedals and I couldn't do it anymore. It makes me ashamed because I died to some stupid mistakes. There's a whole lot of good Camel pilots now. There used to be only a couple. There's things the Camel can do that the Dr.I has trouble doing, you know, [CENSORED].

…I shouldn't have said anything. Now these people are going to do that to us.

TCF: Don't worry, I'll just edit that out.

Von Kost: Who can fly their airplane to the edge without crashing or spinning? That's the one who's gonna win.

von Bremerhaven: I've had a pilot describe this as being a race to the wall and the first one to get there loses. (general hilarity ensues)

TCF: Many people don't know how to join a squadron and think it's this very painful process where you have to go through job interviews and assessments and all that, but from the people that I've talked to, it all seems to happen very naturally. Tell me Bremerhaven, what does a newcomer have to do to apply with Jasta 2?

von Bremerhaven: Well I applied on the forums and I started hanging around the servers and log on when I caught J2 guys on there. Let them get to know me. Started logging in on comms and got the bossman himself to finish up the process.

TCF: And were they nice to you?

von Bremerhaven: Oh yeah. (the others start laughing)

TCF: What's your stance on recruitment at the moment, Von Kost? Are you actively looking?

Von Kost: It's kinda low-key, I don't go actively looking for people. We could always use a few more, cause people go in and out, you know? I've already asked a few people to join. We talked Parazaine and Squid into joining that way, but a lot of the guys kinda joined because they saw a post somewhere or had interest in J2 or the Central side in general.

I don't want people to think that we're elitist or anything. Usually I accept people who apply, the only real qualifications is that you need to be an adult and you have to really like flying Central planes.

TCF: Well that rules me out on both requirements then.

Von Kost: (laughs) Well, I'm sorry. You can still come hang out with us if you want.

TCF: Okay, thanks, I will! Say, you got some really talented pilots. Do you guys have training nights to share experience with the newcomers?

Sturm: Well, we're getting organised. We're getting training officers, Adam and Squid have volunteered to do that.

Von Kost: We have a bit of a problem with the olders guys who have learned by getting killed over and over again, but when the new guys get on and we don't want them to necessarily go through all that. We try to figure out good ways to help them through getting shot down all the time.

The one thing we envy about IRFC is they always fly together and they do a good job on the teamwork. And we're trying to get to that example when they attack us in group.

1 vs 1 I would put most of my guys up against any of the IRFC guys.

Parazaine downs an unwashed greenhorn Camel fag.

TCF: Last week I asked Jorri of Les Hellequins what his plans are for the future and he told me about scrimmages, games against other squadrons. Is that something in which you would care to participate?

Von Kost: That's a good question. I haven't really thought a whole lot about that. I mostly get on and go fly with the guys on the servers. One thing I really like about Rise of Flight is this sort of love/hate thing. It's kind of a small community and you know most almost everybody. You can recognise people the way they fly.

I really want more people to play so that they (777 Studios) make a lot of money and the game does really well, cause it's such an extraordinary product.

Now I'm not adversed to doing the scrimmages against other squads, but I'm not really sure what it realy gets you. I'm not really into the whole online sporting event type of mentality. I mostly like the history of it and the period and the machines and especially the pilots, working with my guys when I'm online. If Von Huetz would want to get us into that, and he's flown into tournaments, that's fine, I'd be perfectly happy to do it but I'm not sure I want to lead any effort to do that, you know what I mean?

TCF: I can follow your reasoning there. Squadrons flying against other squadrons, but in a public environments, with other people there as well. Not so much that the next hour is going to be "Jasta 2 versus Les Hellequins" or "SYNDICATE versus J99" where we have to have a clear winner and a loser.

Von Kost: Right.

Man, Bender, I'd have you join J2 if you weren't in IRFC!

…You probably shouldn't print that. The one thing you don't do is steal other people's members. I don't want anyone to think that we would do that.

TCF: No, I'm honoured, but I know what you're saying. We're all people who fly Rise of Flight together and meet each other online. We're in different squadrons but we're all the same community. We meet interesting people from around the world and shoot hot lead at them every night.

In any case, thanks a lot for the interview. The whole idea is to promote Jasta 2, of course, not to make fun of you, so we'll review the end result together.

Von Kost: No, you can make fun of us some, we are people who play video games online and act like people from a different time, we're not really normal anyway.

TCF: You're telling this to someome who's got his own picture edited into the photograph of a dead Belgian guy.

Von Kost: Oh yeah, that's a good point.

Atmospheric reentry of Sturm's L-Wing space fighter.

Visit Jasta 2 "Boelcke" online

http://www.jasta2.com/

Do you want me to pass by your squadron for a friendly chat? Let me know!

Centerfold: "Fight for the Sky" by GRAF

(click to open)

Original post [http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=155990#p155990]

Lower resolution [http://imgur.com/fNFon.jpg]

Flyer Tutorials and Printed References

Taking VikS and Vaal's advice to heart, the Flyer Tutorials this week focus on refining our gunnery skills, becoming a less predictable target and breaking out of rusty old habits.

Note that I can't deliver on my promise on featuring the Rise of Flight Wiki at this time. It will be covered extensively in the next issue.

In any case, let this be an invitation for everyone to keep contributing to the Wiki; this is truly a worthy community effort.

Sensenmann's Serial Dogfight Missions [http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=3700]

Enough reading, more flying! Hey wait, finish your Camel Fag first.

This excellent set of missions allows you to practice your gunnery and dogfighting skills in a much more finetuned environment than regular Quick Missions. Sensenmann provides you with all the tools you need to practice your flying offline and hone your acquired skills online. Make sure to record your gunnery and analyse them in slow motion, in order to get a clearer picture of your accuracy.

Requiem's Aircraft and Combat Video Tutorials [http://www.youtube.com/user/Requiem10NS]

Clear your schedule and watch them. All of them.

This week, we're having a close look at Camel überfag Requiem's signature move, the Snap Roll.

It's an unpredictable maneuver to the unprepared and one that is certain to surprise both friend and foe, when pulled off successfully in combat.

Squid's Pilots Handbooks for all of the Planes [http://www.mediafire.com/?mr4ftqs822rr1]

Shelve your books and read these first. All of these are worth your time (especially the one on the Nieuport 28).

Today, I'm reading an excerpt from Squid's Fokker Dreidecker guide.

The Dr.I is an excellent dogfighting machine. Its manoeuvrability and excellent climb make it a deadly adversary. Pilots are encouraged to avoid left hand turns with a nose high attitude. The resultant stall, whilst not hard to recover from, will leave the aircraft momentarily uncontrollable and vulnerable to attack. The Dr.I is easily the match or equal in maneuverability of any aircraft.

It is however not fast and once engaged pilots may have difficulties leaving the fight. The best defence is its excellent climb and ability to change direction with great alacrity.

[ Read all of it now ]

Note the location of the fuel gauge between the machineguns.

Know of some other resource that can benefit the community? Let me know!

Full article on the Wiki in The Camel Fag's next issue, promise!

Rendez-vous in the Skies

These are the past, present and upcoming virtual events in the Rise of Flight skies. Your best bet to get to know the community and its many squadrons is still to hop online and on comms as often as possible.

Don't hesitate to let me know of your own upcoming events (no matter how small) to be listed up here!

Chimpy's Community Event on 8 October 2010, 11PM GMT [http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=13474]

Become a part of Rise of Flight history as Chimpy sets up the first community-wide formation flying (and other assorted hijinks, shenanigans and tomfooleries) event, in honour of neoqb becoming 777 Studios !

On the agenda

· Massive formation flight of everyone we can get
· Mass level bombing run
· Mass lawn darts
· Mass flare launch
· Whole community limbo under a bridge

P.S. Also don't forget about the upcoming November real-life Community Meeting in London! The list is still growing!

Jorri's Training Server on Friday Nights (GMT) [http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=11714]

Check the thread for the exact time, server details and possible password!

Be sure to read last week's Complete Combat Report by Jorri [http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=157340#p157340]

Teaching an old fag new tricks: SE5a formation flying with da_rasta_van. Picture taken by Jorri.

Vanderstok's Vintage Missions hosted by THE SYNDICATE on Sunday Afternoons (GMT)

Check the General Discussion Forum for the weekly event announcement!

Take a look at this video Miggins made during the previous historical mission, crashlanding his amazing Nulldecker.

Did I miss an important event here? Let me know!

A Fond Welcome

Looking back on this second edition of The Camel Fag, I come to realise that I'm probably pushing the limits of a forum post length (that's no moon. . . .) as well as your attention span.

By all means, thanks for reading this far, you've now reached the bit that really matters most to me. Please join me in welcoming the following people as active members of the Rise of Flight community.

Remember, newcomers, that we will give you all the chances in the world, you need only give us one! Hop online, get on comms and start flying with us!

Welcome Josh Echo, have patience with the Entente planes, you will find them very rewarding in the end.

Welcome J30Reinamann, I wish you and J30 all the best of luck! Hope to visit you guys someday on Meet the Squadron!

Welcome ReubenJames, I hope you got that problem with the demo sorted out. Let us know if you need any more help!

Welcome Mandelbaum, it's always a pleasure to see flightsim veterans join our ranks. I'm sure Rise of Flight will become your home for many years to come!

Welcome Steambat, thanks for helping out Proccy with his X45 issue.

Welcome OldnSlow, glad you found a printable map to your liking.

Welcome hotrodqt, thanks for helping out with this Freetrack problem. Never could get that to work myself.

Welcome Wandso, quite the baptism of fire you got there. Make sure you've got another SPAD covering your six next time!

And welcome Cody of Jaggyroad Films. That was quite the first post. Hope to see more of you and your videos soon!

Hearts and Minds (WWI Video Drama) [http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=13212]

See you all soon in the Rise of Flight skies!

Someone I forgot? Let me know!

J5_Hellbender

#2 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 22 September 2010 - 19:04

Outstanding bender, the sequal is terrific.

I loved the interviews with Viks and Vaal.

Your doing a mans job sir! Big S!

#3 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 22 September 2010 - 19:09

Again a fantastic issue! :)

Love the intro… My kids (7/9) have just discovered the Star Wars films. Luckily they have good taste, they already like the older films better.. :)

#4 Laser

Laser

Posted 22 September 2010 - 19:12

Bender, great issue :)

It just struck me that your Camel fag - e-magazine would also look and fit perfect on a blog page.

#5 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 22 September 2010 - 19:18

Nice one Bender!

#6 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 22 September 2010 - 19:20

Brilliant again!

I love the fact that Vaal and Viks dominate with only the hat switch- there's hope for all of us without track-ir!

Good issue again Hellbender. Keep em coming.

#7 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 22 September 2010 - 19:28

Great stuff! I'm a big fan!

Really liked the interview with Viks and Vaal, and loved reading about Jasta 2.

#8 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 22 September 2010 - 19:34

Very good read Bender, Thanks!

#9 hq_Chimpy

hq_Chimpy

Posted 22 September 2010 - 19:56

OUTSTANDING!

loved it.. the interviews were awesome and im really enjoying seeing into the doors of the squadrons!

i feel like donkey in shrek when he gets called a steed

rising star = outspoken butt pain im sure lol

and if its worth anything, i LOL'd several times, very very funny!

#10 IM.LOFT

IM.LOFT

Posted 22 September 2010 - 20:17

Many thanks

#11 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 22 September 2010 - 20:19

Quality work again Bender, well done. I never realised that was you in your forum avatar photo..the facial hair makes you fit the period so well I thought it was a real photo :P (don't mind me, I couldnt grow that much facial hair in a month.. lol)

#12 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 22 September 2010 - 20:59

Entertainment at its best. I love it!

#13 US103_Hunter

US103_Hunter
  • LocationOver The Front!

Posted 22 September 2010 - 21:31

Great and entertaining reading! Thanks for the hard work and suffering through talking with J2. ;)

Early to press too!

#14 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 22 September 2010 - 22:01

Shame to see this moved from where it would have had better visibility. At least wait a few days, I think.

#15 =IRFC=mols

=IRFC=mols

Posted 22 September 2010 - 22:11

Awesome work again Bender. Episode 5 through me off, I thought I missed 3 of them!

I've spent a lot of time trying to convince a few people that when they die at the hands of Viks and Vaal, they aren't fighting Skynet or HAL9000. Maybe it will put their minds at ease a little bit knowing that, "Yes, humans can actually pilot that well!"

It was already said, but to state again, it blows my mind that they use the hat for viewing. I couldn't believe it when I first met Requiem and heard the same. ;)

Enjoyed it Bender, great work!

=IFRC= mols

#16 SAS

SAS

Posted 22 September 2010 - 22:45

you're doing really a very god job, Bender! thank you!

#17 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 22 September 2010 - 22:56

Shame to see this moved from where it would have had better visibility. At least wait a few days, I think.

We gave it it's own Sub-Forum. That's an honor in and of itself in recognition of Benders hard work. Just give the negativity a rest.

Jason

#18 J2_Sturm

J2_Sturm

Posted 22 September 2010 - 23:11

Outstanding work Bender, thanks for the kind words about Jasta 2.

I'd like to point out that my epic re-entry was also part of an extremely cunning plan which wartime censorship prevents me from relating ;)

#19 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 22 September 2010 - 23:40

Well, you guys got me speechless, that doesn't happen all too often. :lol:

Seriously, I'm overwhelmed by your response (and so is my PM inbox, I need to start archiving things).

Starting to sound like a broken record here, but thank you!

I have two things to say (you didn't think I'd really shut up, did you?):

1. The Camel Fag isn't about Rise of Flight, it's about the people who fly in Rise of Flight. That's you. It's its only reason to exist. I'm not here to steal Jason's thunder, he's the man with the real news and game announcements. What I want, is for you to read your name, because you did something for the community, or because you participated in an event or simply because you're a newcomer. Then my mission was a success.

So keep telling me about the cool stuff you do. Keep telling me about new people who join our community. Keep telling me who you'd like to know more about, be it a person or a squadron.

2. Where we go from here is also up to you. I can keep doing the bi-weekly monolithic posts or I can start releasing articles more frequently. Or something in between. Let me know what you think.

J5_Hellbender

#20 Fraggles

Fraggles

Posted 22 September 2010 - 23:43

fantastic article!!! I loved this idea from the beginning.

-J2_NigelMcElwee

#21 Parazaine

Parazaine

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:25

Great work Bender S! and nice of you to post a picture of one of my kills, it would have been easier to find pictures the other way round lol.

And also nice to 'humanise' Vaal and Viks….I was starting to think they weren't human. S! to you both, you give me something to aspire towards.

#22 catchov

catchov

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:46

This is fantastic stuff Bender :D Hat's off man 8-)

#23 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:28

Excellent again!
:idea:

#24 TX-Gunslinger

TX-Gunslinger

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:50

Bender,

In the 19 months I've been around Rise of Flight, this is the single most positive contribution to the "community" I've seen yet.

I haven't had a lot of time in the last few months to fly, and I'm currently away from home on travel.

I was perusing the forums and saw this Episode V. and after reading this found myself wanting more. Now to find the back issues!

So well written, and deeply interesting with the interviews of personalities "behind the scenes"..

Best Regards and Please, Please, Please keep publishing and producing this…. It makes me want to quit my job, run home and F L Y !!!!!

S!

Gunny

#25 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:42

Good one Bender! I especially loved the interview with the =FB= aces, their answers gave me food for thought!

#26 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:29

so happy we have such a talented man in our squad….great work mate

#27 Wandso

Wandso

Posted 23 September 2010 - 18:42

Thank you for sharing and the heads up (baptism of fire).
A great read, with lots of valuable info for the newcomer. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users