Photo
- - - - -

Just a small show-off (mine Sopwith 5F.1 "Dolphin")

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 1PL-Rahon-1Esk

1PL-Rahon-1Esk

Posted 16 September 2010 - 18:28

Hi folks!
What I'd like to show You is obviously not meant to be made for RoF - there's no need for another Dolphin ;) I'm working on it, just to check-out some new ideas, find-out and eliminate in future models mistakes, that I make and generally to improve my modelling technique, before working on something, that could be implemented in RoF.
Ok, so going stright to the point, here are some pics of my Sopwith:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Hope, You like it.

S!

#2 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 16 September 2010 - 19:15

Not picking because I dont know for sure but…The starboard MG mount hole looks lower and more outboard then the port one. Is this how it is on the real plane? I dont know thats why I am asking.

#3 1PL-Rahon-1Esk

1PL-Rahon-1Esk

Posted 16 September 2010 - 19:20

Maybe it's just an eye-suggestion. The model is as symetric, as it should be. The fuselage, wings, all other stuff, that needs to be symetric was made with 'Mirror' option, which requires only one side to be modelled, while the other side is utomatically inverted by the symetry axis. That's why You can see only one side of the frame for example.

S!

#4 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 16 September 2010 - 19:24

Your right, its just at an odd angle. One of those optical illusions :)

#5 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 16 September 2010 - 21:20

Is using mirror an established way of making models? I'm not sure it is and I'm curious if other modelers use it.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work in ROF :).

#6 1PL-Rahon-1Esk

1PL-Rahon-1Esk

Posted 16 September 2010 - 22:55

I think it is kinda popular. I mean, I think this is the best way of making models simetric. All I can tell You for sure is that every 3D modeller in 1.PL is using this feature.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work in ROF :).

S!

#7 ATAG_Bliss

ATAG_Bliss

Posted 16 September 2010 - 23:32

Very nice work :)

#8 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 27 September 2010 - 17:42

The model is looking good! I love seeing the whole airframe!

What program are you using (Max?), I do some modeling too but in Lightwave. I just finished a Le Rhone 80 hp yesterday.

I think mirroring is great way to keep things even, though I just usually use the symmetry function in LW.

Awesome work

#9 1PL-Rahon-1Esk

1PL-Rahon-1Esk

Posted 13 October 2010 - 16:55

I'm using a freeware program, called Wings3D. It has very cool, easy to use interface, but don't allow for making animations. When I was modelling for Targetware, there was no need for such feature, as the animations were later made in the Targetware itself. Now, after I'll finish the 3D mesh, I'm gonna have to learn, how to make 'normal' animations for this model and I think, I'm gonna do that in Gmax.

S!

#10 Parazaine

Parazaine

Posted 13 October 2010 - 18:34

I've used Wings 3d (but i'm no 3d modeller).

I used to use it for making spacecraft for a freeware game called Oolite (a freeware version of Elite) which has some very talented 3d modellers and skinners adding extra content.

Wings 3d is very easy to use (hence i was trying to use it) and worth a look if you want a free but versatile 3d modeling piece of software.

#11 1PL-Rahon-1Esk

1PL-Rahon-1Esk

Posted 13 October 2010 - 21:15

Yeah, Wings is a cool program. I've made Bristol F.2B, RBVZ Ilya Muromets and Bre.XIVA2 with it. Now I'm working on Dolphin and can recommend this piece of software to anybody, who wants to try some 3D modelling ;)

S!

#12 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 30 October 2010 - 16:39

Ha I know I am a bit late now but,

I have never heard of Wings 3D, I have taken a peek into G max, but did not really do anything with it, I have also tried 3DS MAX but I like Lightwave a lot better, it is what I am used to.

Have done any more work on the Dolphin?

#13 1PL-Rahon-1Esk

1PL-Rahon-1Esk

Posted 10 November 2010 - 19:41

Have done any more work on the Dolphin?
I've done all the mapping stuff for the exterior, so I finally could start mirroring and duplicating some parts to make the model more detailed. Aside of that I've made brand new wheels with spokes and air valve, here are some pics:
ImageImageImage

It's still far from done, as it needs the cockpit with the instruments and armament, connecting rods and some other stuff to be modelled. It aint gonna be soon, as for now I have to split my modelling time between the Dolphin and this little sweete:
ImageImage

S!

#14 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 10 November 2010 - 19:47

Wow

#15 Endy

Endy

Posted 10 November 2010 - 20:26

Looking good,
any chance of giving us a peek at your F.2B?

Pretty please. :)

#16 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 November 2010 - 20:49

Great job! you gonna color it & all that too? (sorry I'm not computer savy :) )

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#17 1PL-Rahon-1Esk

1PL-Rahon-1Esk

Posted 10 November 2010 - 21:03

Looking good,
any chance of giving us a peek at your F.2B?

Pretty please. :)
Well, if You're talking about the "2.0" version, I mentioned, I'm going to make, then sorry but no-can-do. Simply because I'm gonna start it after I'm done with my other modells, and gonna have more time just for this one. If You like, I can show You some pics of my "1.0" version, which I made for War over Poland 1920 and Richthoffen's Skies mods for Targetware. Just keep in mind, that this was my very first modell and it has some mistakes.
ImageImageImageImage

Great job! you gonna color it & all that too? (sorry I'm not computer savy :) )
Lucas has already promised to work on Dolphin's textures, as he did with my earlier modells, so no worries, it's gonna be coloured pretty good ;)

S!

#18 Endy

Endy

Posted 10 November 2010 - 22:57

Thank you, that looks really lovely, and thats the mk.1 version, WOW.

I think the Bristol is beautiful. :D

Keep it up, great stuff.

#19 1PL-Rahon-1Esk

1PL-Rahon-1Esk

Posted 11 November 2010 - 00:08

Thank you, that looks really lovely, and thats the mk.1 version, WOW.
Yeah. It was Mk.I with Rolls Royce Falcon Mk. III, two- or four bladed propellor, optionall single or twin overwing Lewis guns, 6x112/12x20lb bombload (RS*) and optionall spinner (RS&WoP'20). We allso had post-war built version with Hispano-Suiza F8b engine for WoP1920 only.
With all versions You could choose to have single, twin or no (for training version) observer's Lewis gun, pilot gunsight set (ring and Aldis, ring only or no gunsight at all, for basic flight training). They all had allso in-flight adjustable tail incidence, so in Targetware, You basically could fly all types of sorties, that this kite was capable for in reality ;)

I think the Bristol is beautiful. :D
I fully agree. To me Biffs were the most beautyfull aircrafts in WWI. I really hope, we'll eventually get one for RoF.

Keep it up, great stuff.

S!

#20 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 11 November 2010 - 00:13

Cool!

Practical question…it looks like those overwing Lewis guns hardly fire over the prop arc….why did it have guns on the top wing if they don't even clear the prop?

#21 1PL-Rahon-1Esk

1PL-Rahon-1Esk

Posted 11 November 2010 - 00:27

Cool!

Practical question…it looks like those overwing Lewis guns hardly fire over the prop arc….why did it have guns on the top wing if they don't even clear the prop?
Just keep in mind, that this was my very first modell and it has some mistakes.
;)
The key point is how were things made in Targetware. Some partial 3D modells, like guns, payloads, instruments etc. were shared among different planes within one mod, or even a couple of mods. That's exactly, how it was here. I didn't modell those Lewis guns, but I did the mounts for them, and since I couldn't see the guns in a same scene with the Bristol itself, I was kinda modelling blind and simply made the mounts too low ;)

S!

#22 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 12 November 2010 - 23:41

It looks great, textures will make it even better.

The Brisfit looks awesome too.

Just curious what is the poly count on your Dolphin. ;)

I know what you mean about things not getting done quickly. I am currently working on a Gloster Gladiator, I started it a while ago. I have gone through about 20 fuselages, and 5 wings, to get it perfect and the Fuselage still isn't finished! :lol:

#23 1PL-Rahon-1Esk

1PL-Rahon-1Esk

Posted 13 November 2010 - 00:17

It looks great, textures will make it even better.

The Brisfit looks awesome too.

Just curious what is the poly count on your Dolphin. ;)
At present stage it has 120483 polys and gonna have more soon ;)

I know what you mean about things not getting done quickly. I am currently working on a Gloster Gladiator, I started it a while ago. I have gone through about 20 fuselages, and 5 wings, to get it perfect and the Fuselage still isn't finished! :lol:
Yeah. I've started my work on Dolphin in September 2009, so It's over a year now and it's still far from done.

S!

#24 1PL-Rahon-1Esk

1PL-Rahon-1Esk

Posted 16 March 2011 - 15:54

Small update. I've ultimately finished the exterior part of the model and made "Vicky" and "Louise" (Vickers and Lewis guns ;) ), that gonna be used with Dolphin. Now it's time for final part - Interior with some basic mechanics.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

S!

#25 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 16 March 2011 - 17:01

Looks Great! 8-) (hmm new smilies)

Could you maybe post a render with out the wireframe.

Keep it up!

#26 1PL-Rahon-1Esk

1PL-Rahon-1Esk

Posted 16 March 2011 - 19:42

Here you go.

S!

#27 Interloper

Interloper

Posted 16 March 2011 - 20:41

Oh sorry I meant no wireframe, just the polygon surfaces. I was hoping to see the panel lines and ribbing without the wireframe, and how they rendered.

Though this image really shows of the work you did. It is quite the intricate mesh.

#28 Markow

Markow

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:09

:S!:

campribV.png

#29 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:12

Why are you bumping up very old threads?

#30 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:37

Maybe because Rise of Flight still needs 1PL's talents and creativity, especially now the possibilities are growing :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users