Photo
- - - - -

Assist Developer with New Career Mode (Articles)

• Please log in to reply
353 replies to this topic

#41 Dearmad

Dearmad

Posted 19 September 2010 - 22:51

I hope these are helpful. Source is NY Times archives. Copy is basically unedited from the paper- so the language preserves the way Reporters wrote things back then.

I can't access the google doc thing I tried, so here is my ZIP file. Let me know if errors or didn't do something right I will try again.

EDIT: I resubmitted fixed articles. Thanks.

Attached Files

#42 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:35

I hope these are helpful. Source is NY Times archives. Copy is basically unedited from the paper- so the language preserves the way Reporters wrote things back then.

I can't access the google doc thing I tried, so here is my ZIP file. Let me know if errors or didn't do something right I will try again.

Looks good Dearmad. I just wanted to draw your attention to some grammar and spelling errors in zepvsdest file:

<p>Copenhagen, June 2- It is reported that a Zeppelin airship was shot down Saturday morning off the Jutland Coast by a British torpedo boat destroyer.</p>
<p>The crew of the airship were drowned according to the report. It was unknown to where the Zeppelin was traveling as it's direction upon initial contact appeared to be southerly but no reports of bombings took place to the north.</p>
<p>No other aerial activity was reported in the region which could shed any further light on this incident. The Destroyer was undamaged in this encounter, and no crew injuries were reported.</p>

Hope you dont mind me bringing it to your attention? Just thought it would be easier to fix now than once it is in RoF :)

Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry...

#43 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:52

btw, has anyone tried this yet:

http://news.google.com/archivesearch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.google.com/archivesearch

I am looking through it now and will do some articles if I find any good stuff.

Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry...

#44 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:27

Attached is a list of the dates of articles that we need and key WWI events.

Any events such as Aces dying or other key aviation events/stories can be added to the excel file and then updated.

(Note these are based on the dates Han has given - some of the events listed happened a couple of days before but it's not unfeasable it would take a couple of days to report them)

Masaq - is it easier if you add this spreadsheet data to the google documents page and people update it there? (I'm a bit useless at IT etc so would probably FAIL) :)

Attached Files

#45 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:47

From the Times 23 April 1918:

CAPT. RICHTHOFEN KILLED.

The following telegraphic dispatch has been received from General Headquarters in. France: - April, 22, 9.55 P.M.

After a long spell of stormy weather, which greatly hampered aerial work, the 21st instantly brought a change, and our aeroplanes were able to be in the air from dawn till -dark. The good visibility favoured our artillery, photographic, and long-distance reconnaissance machines. Bombing was carried out by us incessantly on the whole front. Over 23 tons of bombs were dropped on Thourout railway station, Menin, Armentieres, Ohaulnes, and various other targets.

Thousands of rounds of machine-gun ammunition were fired by our low-flying machines. The enemy's machines were seen in large numbers, but very not aggressive. Eleven German machines were brought down in air fighting, and six others were driven down out of control. A hostile observation balloon was also destroyed. Our anti-aircraft fire shot down two other hostile aeroplanes. Five of our machines are missing. The pilot of one of the hostile machines which was brought down in. combat, and fell in our lines, was the well-known German airman and fighter, Rittmeister Freiherr M. von Richthofen, who claimed to have brought down 80 Allied machines. His body has to-day been buried with full military honours.

During the night of the 21st instant our night- flying machines again bombed Armentieres, Bapaume, Chaulnes railway junction, and Peronne, dropping in all nine and a half tons of bombs. All our machines returned.

GERMANS' MOST FAMOUS AIRMAN.

APIRIL 22. Yesterday's official German communiqué announced that " Cavalry Captain Freiherr von Richthofen, at the head of his trusty 11th Pursuit Flight, has gained his 79th and 80th victories in the air." Before that had been published Richthofen was dead. He was brought down behind our lines not far from the Sormme, and is to be buried this afternoon in a village in the neighborhood where he fell. While probably not as brilliant as Captain Ball, all our airmen concede that Richthofen was a great pilot and a fine fighting man.

If all the victories credited to him were really personal triumphs and not merely those of the squadron of which he was the leader, then Cavalry Captain Baron von Richtiofon was easily the most famous airman that the German Flying Service has produced. Immelmann first, and then Boelke, in whose squadron Richtofen had his first experience of fighting and gained his first success, were accounted great pilots, but their, exploits were insignificant compared with those attributed by German Main Headquarters to Richthofen, for while the last- named was reported, as late as Sunday, to have achieved his 80th victory, Immelmann, when he was killed in an air fight in June, 1916, had only 15 "enemy machines" to his credit, and Boelke had brought down, officially, only 38, and unofficially 40, when he met his death in the following October.

Richthofen's official career dates from February 15, 1917, when, as lieutenant, he was said to have won his 20th and 21st aerial victories. His successes followed with almost bewildering rapidity and by April 9th he was credited with his 40th, his 61st on September 4, and his 70th on March 27 of this year. Between that date and Sunday he was reported to have won 10 further victories. His "star" day was, apparently, April 28, 1917, when it was officially claimed that he had shot down five machines. Lieutenant Wolff, who was a member of Richthofen's Squadron, and who was killed last September, was also credited with the same number of victims on the same day. In August last year it was reported, on the authority of statements made by captured prisoners, that Richthofen was wounded in a fight with a British airman, and it may be regarded as some confirmation of the report that his name was absent from the German official communiqués for September and October of that year.

Richthofen was appointed commander of the 11th Chasing Squadron after he had brought down his 16th machine - that must have been some time before February, 1917-and two days after his appointment he was decorated with the Order Pour le Mérite. On the occasion of his 50th victory, Richthofen received a letter of congratulation from the Kaiser, who is said to have looked with special favour upon the airman, and upon whom this month he conferred the Order of the Red Eagle with Crown and Swords.

In the " Memoirs " which he published in August, 1917, Richthofen, like Boelke before him, paid tribute to the British airman's love of a fight. "He is a dashing fellow-," he wrote. "He used to come now and then and pelt Boelke's flying ground with bombs. He simply challenged one to battle, and always accepted it. I hardly ever encountered an English- man who refused battle." Captain Richthofen claims to have brought down the British airman Major Hawker, and he gives his brother, Lieutenant Baron von Richthofen who is also in the German Flying Service on the Western front, the honour of having defeated Captain Ball. " During my whole life," Richthofen wrote, " I have not found a happier hunting ground than in the course of the Somme battle." And it was on this battle ground that he fought his last fight.

#46 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:04

Note there is no mention of ground fire, Brown or May in this - how many people writing an article for that date now (without seeing this) wouldn't include those pieces of information?

#47 Damocles

Damocles

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:45

This might be of use for those looking for headlines for writing articles.

London illustrated News 1918

For example:

June - British marines seized Murmansk to stop the port falling into german hands

The Machine Guns of Aeroplanes of Various Types - Allied and Enemy Examples - 'With Three Machine Guns Mounted: a French Chaser plane and Its Armament' - - - 'With One of His Machine Guns Pointing Upward: A French Pilot in Position for Attacking From Below'

#48 Masaq

Masaq

Posted 20 September 2010 - 13:46

The dates spreadsheet has been uploaded. Should be visible to all.

Can someone just confirm that they can view it and the other files, please?

https://docs.google....xYTliZDA1&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://docs.google....leaf?id=0B0-C8d … ZDA1&hl=en

#49 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 20 September 2010 - 17:27

I'd be glad to help out with both the research and writing and even editing what has been written so the style is consistent.

In fact, if you want me to go through all of them when all are complete just to make sure they follow the same style, I would be glad to do so (English only).

However, after reading Han's original post, I'm still not clear on what is wanted.

I have a whole bunch of questions (these are not criticisms :lol: ):

What will these look like in the game? Is the newspaper page attached to Han's post an actual mock-up or just a concept? Will all the pages have the same makeup (stories and pics in the same place) or will it vary? An example (including example of the stories and headlines) would be very helpful.

Do you want hard news stories or features as well? The example provided has feature stories on Ball and the SE5a (although the paper is dated in 1916 and some of the info on the SE5a could not possibly have been available on that date).

Do you want short stories (or at least headlines) on what battles were underway on those dates (and how the air war was tied to them)?

What is the significance of the dates that were chosen? A few I can guess (Nov. 11 is kind of a gimme ;) )? A list of events would be more helpful and much easier to research than a list of dates.

Should it be dated the same day as the event ("today"), which would give it more immediate impact (even though no one at the Front probably ever saw "today's" newspaper)?

Should the text read as it would in WWI (wordy and flowery – see T-C's Richthofen obit from The Times, I believe) or as it would today (short and punchy with mostly active verbs):

Baron Manfred von Richthofen, Germany's leading ace, died today in a treetop-level air battle.

Richthofen's all red Fokker triplane crashed in Allied territory near a brick factory following a fight with Royal Air Force Sopwith Camels.

Australian troops rushed to the crash site and found a single bullet wound in Richthofen's side indicating he may have been killed by ground fire from a nearby Australian machine gun unit.

However, RAF Capt. Arthur Roy Brown filed a combat report claiming he had engaged an all-red Fokker triplane today and it had crashed after he hit it with fire from his guns.

Australian troops said Richthofen was alive but mortally wounded when they found him. His last statement was: "Kaput."

Von Richthofen was born…etc., etc., etc.

The first story in The Times is actually a military dispatch not written by a Time reporter. The second-day story was by a correspondent for The Times. Obviously, we know a lot more today and can toss in material about Roy Brown, the Australian machine gunners, etc., but do you want that?

I suggest short and punchy to make them quick and easy to read although the more contemporary WWI wording adds color. And I suggest updating with information we know today.

You may want to consider just a "Today's Headlines" (a crawl resembling a teletype along the bottom of the page would be great) with more items but less detail. Immersion is the key.

Masaq – I can see the Nov. 11 package you did and another folder that is empty.

HT

#50 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 20 September 2010 - 21:02

Hey Guys,

First, thanks for taking the time to help with this. We appreciate it very much.

As you can see there is much to be done in a short time. Now you know a little bit how the team feels sometimes. LOL.

Please continue to work with Han or Loft in a positive manner and if you can help great, if not please refrain from posting. I will delete any off topic post not germain to the task at hand. Let's stay focused. And to those that are helping, please don't get bogged down in the details of how the campaign may or may not work, just help them get the data they require for this interesting feature. We can always tweak things later.

Again, thanks for the help guys. Looks like you guys are off to a great start!

:-D
Jason

#51 sturmkraehe

sturmkraehe

Posted 20 September 2010 - 22:20

How many words do you require for the two articles btw? Up to now I just copied some articles from the archive paper but the text is rather short…

#52 =J99=Sizzlorr

=J99=Sizzlorr

Posted 20 September 2010 - 22:22

Each article body should contains 1500..2500 symbols in English localization

I think 1500 is minimum.

yedwwtfx.gif

#53 sturmkraehe

sturmkraehe

Posted 20 September 2010 - 22:23

Thanks Sizz. Missed this one.

Is there a word counting feature in wordpad? I don't have office on my comp here.

#54 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 20 September 2010 - 22:28

I think he means 1500 min. letters not words though, just to have no confusion. ;)

#55 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 20 September 2010 - 22:44

September 26th 1918.

94th "Hat in the Ring" Squadron led by Captain Eddie Rickenbacker destroy 10 balloons in the Verdun and Damvillers area (Rickenbacker destroys a Fokker biplane (DVII) for his 11th confirmed victory) This was in support of the American and French offensive against the Argonne Forest and the Meuse region.

Anyone want to flesh this out to a full article?

#56 Masaq

Masaq

Posted 20 September 2010 - 23:46

Thanks Sizz. Missed this one.

Is there a word counting feature in wordpad? I don't have office on my comp here.

Sadly not.

However if you use Google Chrome as your browser and then use Google Documents to type up your article, you'll get both a spellcheck function (included in Chrome) and a word/character count in the GDocs editor.

#57 sturmkraehe

sturmkraehe

Posted 20 September 2010 - 23:55

I am surely not gonna get chrome. To much privacy infringement. The big krake google, you know?

I use Opera that has a nice spelling function too. Perhaps it has a couting function also.

#58 Masaq

Masaq

Posted 21 September 2010 - 00:03

Well you don't need to use Chrome to be able to use Google Docs.

#59 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 21 September 2010 - 00:32

…AND MY AXE!

I will help however I can, whenever I'm not busy with the Camel Fag or skinning or with the upcoming open betatest… or sleeping… nevermind casually flying for now.

Not interfering with the big guys here. I might do a few smaller "margin" articles about the Belgian Air Force.

J5_Hellbender

#60 Dearmad

Dearmad

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:35

Looks good Dearmad. I just wanted to draw your attention to some grammar and spelling errors in zepvsdest file:

<p>Copenhagen, June 2- It is reported that a Zeppelin airship was shot down Saturday morning off the Jutland Coast by a British torpedo boat destroyer.</p>
<p>The crew of the airship were drowned according to the report. It was unknown to where the Zeppelin was traveling as it's direction upon initial contact appeared to be southerly but no reports of bombings took place to the north.</p>
<p>No other aerial activity was reported in the region which could shed any further light on this incident. The Destroyer was undamaged in this encounter, and no crew injuries were reported.</p>

Hope you dont mind me bringing it to your attention? Just thought it would be easier to fix now than once it is in RoF :)

I don't mind. I fixed the one typo and the other error I caught (It's for Its)and am resubmitting. However the other errors you bring up are not errors; they were as the article was written in the New York times. So I preserved authenticity rather than correctness.

#61 Saxson

Saxson

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:18

Hello,

how about this:

It tells the story of 3 allied planes over the Dardanellen; one has be shot down. Later it tolds the story of a german waterplane who bombs a tent camp.

http://www.homedrome...ault.aspx#22865" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.homedrome...BlogsForen/Fore … aspx#22865

Der_Hunne

#62 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:58

I apologise to all that I won't be able to assist with this, as I'm working and traveling until the end of October (enjoy the Pup for me). However I can share the following link which is a goldmine of newspaper clipping from world war one. I hope it is useful. Even alone it makes for some very intresting reading.

http://newspapers.nl...ame=World War 1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://newspapers.nl...v.au/ndp/del/ta … orld+War+1

A couple of examples from the above:

http://newspapers.nl...article/2099659" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://newspapers.nl...article/2099659
http://newspapers.nl...article/1086464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://newspapers.nl...article/1086464

All the best!
F_IV

#63 j99Kobold

j99Kobold

Posted 21 September 2010 - 17:29

Some years ago i found a website, where you can find the original "Heeresberichte" from the Germans and the Allieds. The only rpoblem ist, that this site is in German, but me and my sqadmates can translate the Years 1915-1818 for the newspaper

http://www.stahlgewitter.com/#chronik

#64 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 21 September 2010 - 19:59

btw, has anyone tried this yet:

http://news.google.com/archivesearch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://news.google.com/archivesearch

I am looking through it now and will do some articles if I find any good stuff.

Thanks! If you use Google docs, you can now upload a pdf and have them OCR-ed automatically, so you only need to check the resulting text.

I found the following for May, 20 1918. Source is New York Times. Note that the article date is the 19th, the publishing date is the 20th. The image is not from the newspaper though as there is none.

http://query.nytimes...4DD405B888DF1D3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://query.nytimes.../mem/archive-fr … 5B888DF1D3

See attachment for article.

Attached Files

#65 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:44

Some years ago i found a website, where you can find the original "Heeresberichte" from the Germans and the Allieds. The only rpoblem ist, that this site is in German, but me and my sqadmates can translate the Years 1915-1818 for the newspaper

http://www.stahlgewitter.com/#chronik

that is awesome Kobold, we need German sources. So far we only have Entente newspapers. I wonder if each article has to be translated for different language versions of the game? If so, then you can kill two birds with one stone and do an English and German version of each article?

#66 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:54

Masaq"]Han,

Are you going to update the OP as dates are started on/completed, or would you like the moderating team to help out here? Happy to help keep it current.

M.
Yes, I'll do it twice per week. Offcourse!
I was out for three days - I was ill a bit…

I think Han said it needs to be fairly neutral and non-political (I guess to fit both sides)
Yes, right

I've got a question - presumably if I do an article on Richthofen's death then it means we can't meet him in the virtual skies and shoot him down prior to April 1918.
Or any other aces?
Dont warry about this. Real aces will be not in Career sky to keep original story clear. At least in first version.

Attached is a list of the dates of articles that we need and key WWI events.
Any events such as Aces dying or other key aviation events/stories can be added to the excel file and then updated.
(Note these are based on the dates Han has given - some of the events listed happened a couple of days before but it's not unfeasable it would take a couple of days to report them)
Masaq - is it easier if you add this spreadsheet data to the google documents page and people update it there? (I'm a bit useless at IT etc so would probably FAIL) :)
Hmmm… Very useful table, thank you.

September 26th 1918.
94th "Hat in the Ring" Squadron led by Captain Eddie Rickenbacker destroy 10 balloons in the Verdun and Damvillers area (Rickenbacker destroys a Fokker biplane (DVII) for his 11th confirmed victory) This was in support of the American and French offensive against the Argonne Forest and the Meuse region.
Anyone want to flesh this out to a full article?
Such articles are most wanted!

FAO HAN Article for 23rd April 1917

Boeing Airplane Company Granted Contract for Navy Airplanes

The US Navy has offered a contract for 50 airplanes to the Boeing Airplane Company of Seattle.The company was incorporated last year by William E Boeing and George Conrad Westervelt and was originally formed as as B & W and the Pacific Aero Products Co before changing it's name in May of this year.

At a press conference to announce the contract Mr. Boeing stated that he was honoured to be able to help his country and the war effort by his company's contribution. Boeing has long been viewed as a forward thinker by some and by others as a dreamer as he has before attested that he foresees a future where high volumes of civilian passengers travel in comfort in airplanes eventually, he claims, lowering the dependence on trains and ocean liners. It may sound like science fiction but seeing Boeing in person and hearing him speak one witnesses a a phenomenal energy and determination. If any one can realise the dream of conquering the skies then no-one is better suited to achieve it than Mr. W E Boeing.
The B&W / Boeing Seaplane Model 1
Implemented, thank you!
One thing - it better to have 1500-2500 symbols per article.

Masaq"]Okay, I've started an entry for 11th Nov, 1918.
So far I've got main header and one article (including picture). I will complete the second article and header-only articles on Monday. Feedback of the first article is appreciated, I've no problem with criticism and I'm happy to make edits. I've kept it as factual and as non-biased as possible.
Implemented, thank you! Very good.

EDIT: I resubmitted fixed articles. Thanks.
Files are good, but there are too less of symbols, newspaper may looks not very good if symbol-counting in articles is out of 1500-2500 range. Anyway, we will try to implement it. Thnak you.

Corrections added, thank you.

From the Times 23 April 1918:
…………..

GERMANS' MOST FAMOUS AIRMAN.

APIRIL 22. Yesterday's official German communique announced that " Cavalry Captain Freiherr von Richthofen, at the head of his trusty 11th Pursuit Flight, has gained his 79th and 80th victories in the air." Before that had been published Richthofen was dead. He was brought down behind our lines not far from the Sormme, and is to be buried this afternoon in a village in the neighborhood where he fell. ………. All our airmen concede that Richthofen was a great pilot and a fine fighting man.

If all the victories credited to him were really personal triumphs and not merely those of the squadron of which he was the leader, then Cavalry Captain Baron von Richtiofon was easily the most famous airman that the German Flying Service has produced. ……………

Richthofen's official career dates from February 15, 1917, when, as lieutenant, he was said to have won his 20th and 21st aerial victories. His successes followed with almost bewildering rapidity and by April 9th he was credited with his 40th, his 61st on September 4, and his 70th on March 27 of this year. Between that date and Sunday he was reported to have won 10 further victories. His "star" day was, apparently, April 28, 1917, when it was officially claimed that he had shot down five machines. Lieutenant Wolff, who was a member of Richthofen's Squadron, and who was killed last September, was also credited with the same number of victims on the same day. In August last year it was reported, on the authority of statements made by captured prisoners, that Richthofen was wounded in a fight with a British airman, and it may be regarded as some confirmation of the report that his name was absent from the German official communiques for September and October of that year.

….

In the " Memoirs " which he published in August, 1917, Richthofen, like Boelke before him, paid tribute to the British airman's love of a fight. "He is a dashing fellow-," he wrote. "He used to come now and then and pelt Boelke's flying ground with bombs. He simply challenged one to battle, and always accepted it. I hardly ever encountered an English- man who refused battle." Captain Richthofen claims to have brought down the British airman Major Hawker, and he gives his brother, Lieutenant Baron von Richthofen who is also in the German Flying Service on the Western front, the honour of having defeated Captain Ball. " During my whole life," Richthofen wrote, " I have not found a happier hunting ground than in the course of the Somme battle." And it was on this battle ground that he fought his last fight.
I've implemented this as article. "…" removed to keep symbol counting in range. Thank you.

#67 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:20

vol - no - extra - date - status
11 - 19 - 0 - 19160904 - required
11 - 20 - 0 - 19160918 - required

13 - 22 - 0 - 19181104 - required
13 - 23 - 1 - 19181111 - Required: secondary article, 2 headers for fake articles. Ready: main article (19181111_(M)_ArmisticeSigned.txt), main header.

Han, see my previous post on this page. I have submitted an article for May 20, 1918.

#68 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:22

Han Headers for fake articles 11/11/1918

KAISER ABDICATES

BRITISH FRENCH AND AMERICAN TROOPS CELEBRATE IN PARIS

#69 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:41

Han, see my previous post on this page. I have submitted an article for May 20, 1918.

Wery good. Symbol-counting is in range. Implemented. Thank you!

Han Headers for fake articles 11/11/1918

KAISER ABDICATES

BRITISH FRENCH AND AMERICAN TROOPS CELEBRATE IN PARIS
Implemented, but be cearful with symbol-counting in headers. I've replaced 2nd header by:

Allies Troops</ br>
Celebrate in Paris

Also, ALL-CAPITALS should be used only in main headers. Arcticle headers and fake-article headers should use only "First Char Capitals"

#70 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:48

Allies Troops</ br>
Celebrate in Paris

Ok noted.

Might be better to have

"Allied Troops Celebrate in Paris"

#71 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:10

Han secondary article:

11/11/1918

Socialist Chancellor Appeals to All Germans To Help Him Save Fatherland from Anarchy

In an address to the people, the new German Chancellor, Friedrich Ebert, says:
Citizens: The ex-Chancellor, Prince Max of Baden, in agreement with all the Secretaries of State, has handed over to me the task of liquidating his affairs as Chancellor. I am on the point of forming a new Government in accord with the various parties, and will keep public opinion freely informed of the course of events.
The new Government will be a Government of the people. It must make every effort to secure in the quickest possible time peace for the German people and consolidate the liberty which they have won.
The new Government has taken charge of the administration, to preserve the German people from civil war and famine and to accomplish their legitimate claim to autonomy. The Government can solve this problem only if all the officials in town and country will help.
I know it will be difficult for some to work with the new men who have taken charge of the empire, but I appeal to their love of the people. Lack of organization would in this heavy time mean anarchy in Germany and the surrender of the country to tremendous misery. Therefore, help your native country with fearless, indefatigable work for the future, every one at his post.
I demand every one's support in the hard task awaiting us. You know how seriously the war has menaced the provisioning of the people, which is the first condition of the people's existence. The political transformation should not trouble the people. The food supply is the first duty of all, whether in town or country, and they should not embarrass, but rather aid, the production of food supplies and their transport to the towns.
Food shortage signifies pillage and robbery, with great misery. The poorest will suffer the most, and the industrial worker will be affected hardest. All who illicitly lay hands on food supplies or other supplies of prime necessity or the means of transport necessary for their distribution will be guilty in the highest degree toward the community.
I ask you immediately to leave the streets and remain orderly and calm.

#72 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:24

I'd be glad to help out with both the research and writing and even editing what has been written so the style is consistent.

In fact, if you want me to go through all of them when all are complete just to make sure they follow the same style, I would be glad to do so (English only).

However, after reading Han's original post, I'm still not clear on what is wanted.
Just look at accepted results of other guys and to list of required newspapers. You will have clear understanding after that.

I have a whole bunch of questions (these are not criticisms :lol: ):

What will these look like in the game? Is the newspaper page attached to Han's post an actual mock-up or just a concept? Will all the pages have the same makeup (stories and pics in the same place) or will it vary? An example (including example of the stories and headlines) would be very helpful.
Attached newspaper example - this is prototype. Yes, newspaper will look right like this example.
It contains three rows:

1. Left column contains secondary article (with header, image, body), one fake-article with visible header, and the "plugs" (fake-article body with automaticaly adjustible size, random image)
2. Central column contains main article (with header, image, body) and "plug" (random image)
3. Right column contains up-to-date aces list, one fake-article with visible header, and the plugs (similar to 1st column)

Main header (if exists) is placed above.

So, there is a confg file (look at attached example) describes for each newspaper:
- main article header file
- main article body file
- main article image file
- secondary article header file
- secondary article body file
- secondary article image file
- 1st fake-article header
- 2nd fake-article header
- main header
ALL these files have their specified symbols-counting limits and formats which are described in the start of the thread. So 3rd party (YOU) providing these files, we're checking them and implement them to database.
To compile newspapers we're describing each newspaper release in config (we will do it by ourself). Newspaper imposes automatically (automatic choose of random images and fake-articles body sizes to fill all columns).
It's all.

Do you want hard news stories or features as well? The example provided has feature stories on Ball and the SE5a (although the paper is dated in 1916 and some of the info on the SE5a could not possibly have been available on that date).
Both. But both should be up-to-dated. So if you're tell about Ball's sorties on S.E.5a - this article should be dated correctly (in corresponding to Ball's and S.E.5a time-lines). Both should be historical. You may not to find any real article about Ball's sortie, and to wrote it by yourself, but you should keep all details historical correctly.

Do you want short stories (or at least headlines) on what battles were underway on those dates (and how the air war was tied to them)?
It will be great! Look at start of this thread, I've wrote:
Each article should tell about WW1 related issues. Best of all - about WW1 aviation issues. If no available - than any WW1 issues. If not available - than any important world issues.
So, if there will be no any war or aviation issues to date - even story about some significant discovery…

What is the significance of the dates that were chosen? A few I can guess (Nov. 11 is kind of a gimme ;) )? A list of events would be more helpful and much easier to research than a list of dates.
Very simple - newspaper should be released at least once per two weeks. This is a required minimum by game design. So, IF there will be more than required number of articles - we will add more newspaper releases. But for now - look at the progress, I'm not sure even about current list success. So first of all - we should fill these releases.
OFFCOURSE, if article (or fake-article header) describes an event which have occured not in date of newspaper release - it will be included in closest newspaper release after event date.
So you're free to wrote articles to any date in specified range (1.sep.1916 - 11.nov.1918).
If you want to be sure that your article is hits some specific newspaper release - check that event date is between required newspaper release and a previous release.

Should it be dated the same day as the event ("today"), which would give it more immediate impact (even though no one at the Front probably ever saw "today's" newspaper)?
Nono, look above. You may to do as other guys - put the date in the start of article. It's better to not use "today" in article's body.
"Today" may be used in EXTRA newspapers, but for now we have only one in our plan - 11.11.1918

Should the text read as it would in WWI (wordy and flowery – see T-C's Richthofen obit from The Times, I believe) or as it would today (short and punchy with mostly active verbs):

Baron Manfred von Richthofen, Germany's leading ace, died today in a treetop-level air battle.

Richthofen's all red Fokker triplane crashed in Allied territory near a brick factory following a fight with Royal Air Force Sopwith Camels.

Australian troops rushed to the crash site and found a single bullet wound in Richthofen's side indicating he may have been killed by ground fire from a nearby Australian machine gun unit.

However, RAF Capt. Arthur Roy Brown filed a combat report claiming he had engaged an all-red Fokker triplane today and it had crashed after he hit it with fire from his guns.

Australian troops said Richthofen was alive but mortally wounded when they found him. His last statement was: "Kaput."

Von Richthofen was born…etc., etc., etc.
Hmmm… It's up to you. Author's style :-) Look for style limits in first post of thi thread.

The first story in The Times is actually a military dispatch not written by a Time reporter. The second-day story was by a correspondent for The Times. Obviously, we know a lot more today and can toss in material about Roy Brown, the Australian machine gunners, etc., but do you want that?

I suggest short and punchy to make them quick and easy to read although the more contemporary WWI wording adds color. And I suggest updating with information we know today.

You may want to consider just a "Today's Headlines" (a crawl resembling a teletype along the bottom of the page would be great) with more items but less detail. Immersion is the key.
HT
Both approaches are accessible. But anyway, article should not contain information, which can't be known up-to-date even theoreticaly. Unaccessible example:
"There is 5 months remained to the end of war"
"Richthofen have received 40th kill - a half of his total kill counting"
ect.

#73 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:27

Han secondary article:

11/11/1918

Socialist Chancellor Appeals to All Germans To Help Him Save Fatherland from Anarchy

In an address to the people, the new German Chancellor, Friedrich Ebert, says:
Citizens: The ex-Chancellor, Prince Max of Baden, in agreement with all the Secretaries of State, has handed over to me the task of liquidating his affairs as Chancellor. I am on the point of forming a new Government in accord with the various parties, and will keep public opinion freely informed of the course of events.
The new Government will be a Government of the people. It must make every effort to secure in the quickest possible time peace for the German people and consolidate the liberty which they have won.
The new Government has taken charge of the administration, to preserve the German people from civil war and famine and to accomplish their legitimate claim to autonomy. The Government can solve this problem only if all the officials in town and country will help.
I know it will be difficult for some to work with the new men who have taken charge of the empire, but I appeal to their love of the people. Lack of organization would in this heavy time mean anarchy in Germany and the surrender of the country to tremendous misery. Therefore, help your native country with fearless, indefatigable work for the future, every one at his post.
I demand every one's support in the hard task awaiting us. You know how seriously the war has menaced the provisioning of the people, which is the first condition of the people's existence. The political transformation should not trouble the people. The food supply is the first duty of all, whether in town or country, and they should not embarrass, but rather aid, the production of food supplies and their transport to the towns.
Food shortage signifies pillage and robbery, with great misery. The poorest will suffer the most, and the industrial worker will be affected hardest. All who illicitly lay hands on food supplies or other supplies of prime necessity or the means of transport necessary for their distribution will be guilty in the highest degree toward the community.
I ask you immediately to leave the streets and remain orderly and calm.

May you make this header short? It should correspond to required secondary article header limit:
Secondary article header should contains not more than 34 symbols, not more than 17 symbols per line (2 lines at max).
Ok noted.
Might be better to have
"Allied Troops Celebrate in Paris"
ok

#74 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 22 September 2010 - 13:04

Han:

Chancellor Attempts to Prevent Anarchy

#75 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 22 September 2010 - 14:38

Thanks, Han.

HT

#76 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 22 September 2010 - 15:21

Two new articles for May 6, 1918. One is perhaps too short, but both are interesting I think.

I also corrected some bugs in my previous article for May 20, 1918.

Attached Files

#77 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 22 September 2010 - 16:19

FAO HAN:

25th March 1918

Fake Headlines:

D.S.C. For Nine Americans

Allies Bomb Freiburg

Main;

German Offensive Contines
British Troops in Retreat

On 21 March, the Germans launched a major offensive against the British Fifth Army, and the right wing of the British Third Army.

The artillery bombardment began at 4.40 am on 21 March. The bombardment hit targets, in the Allied lines, over an area of 150 square miles, the biggest barrage of the entire war so far. An estimate has it that over one million shells were fired in the first five hours.

Reports from Allied Headquarters are that at least 3 German armies are involved. Field Marshal Haig’s headquarters report learning the approximate time and location of the offensive however the weight of the attack and of the preliminary bombardment has come as an unpleasant surprise and has been initially overwhelming. The Germans were also fortunate in that the morning of the 21st was foggy, allowing their storm troops (Stoßtruppen) leading the attack to penetrate deep into the British positions undetected.

By the end of the first day the British Headquarters reported nearly 20,000 dead and 35,000 wounded, and the Germans had broken through at several points on the front of the British Fifth Army. By the 23rd Fifth Army was in full retreat. As they fall back, many of the isolated pockets of troops and strongholds have been left to be surrounded and overwhelmed by the following German infantry. The right wing of the Third Army has also become separated from the retreating Fifth Army, and have retreated in good order to avoid being outflanked.

General Erich Ludendorff stated of the German tactics "We chop a hole. The rest follows." Ludendorff is struggling to chop his hole though, he has been exhausting his forces by attacking some strongly entrenched British units.

The German breakthrough has occurred just to the north of the boundary between the French and British armies. The French commander-in-chief, General Pétain, has been criticised in London and by General Haig for taking too long to commit reinforcements to the sector.

The attack continues although all reports are that it is beginning to slow helped in no small part by Allied airmen attacking the Germans tirelessly as they advance.

Secondary:

Canadian Ace Frederick Carr Armstrong Killed

The Canadian flying ace Flight Commander Frederick Armstong was killed today when his Sopwith Camel aeroplane was destroyed by a German machine and crashed in flames South of Ervillers. He was Twenty-One years of age.

Armstrong, who flew for 3 Squadron Royal Naval Air Service, was the recipient of the French Croix de Guerre medal as well as the British Distinguished Service Cross.

At the time of his death he had been credited with 13 enemy aircraft destroyed.

The citation for Armstrong’s Distinguished Service Cross which was posted in the Gazette in November last year read as follows:

Act. Flt. Cdr. Fred Carr Armstrong, R.N.A.S.

In recognition of his services with a Wing of the R.N.A.S. at Dunkirk between February and September 1917. He has destroyed several hostile machines, and has led his flight with very great skill and gallantry.

Armstrong was described by his commanding officer as a gallant hero and a fine pilot who will be sorely missed at the front, prior to his death he had already scored five victories this month alone; including one victory per day between the Twenty-First, Twenty-Second, Twenty-Third and Twenty-Fourth of March. The Germans have dealt a severe blow to our services by killing one of our finest pilots and many a German must be sleeping sound tonight in the knowledge that they won’t have to face “Army” in the skies above France.

Armstrong joined the Royal Naval Air Service in 1915 and was posted to 3 Naval Squadron at Dunkirk in February 1917. He scored his first victory on 6 April 1917, flying his Sopwith Pup. Using this same plane, on 12 April, he shared his second victory with fellow ace Edmund Pierce. His third win was shared with Pierce and Arthur Whealy on 2 May, when they set an Albatros reconnaissance plane ablaze. A fourth victory, four days later, an Albatros D.III sent down out of control over Bourlon Wood, was shared with Kerby. On 7 July, a splashed German seaplane six miles north of Ostend was credited as a victory for Armstrong, and thus Armstrong became an ace.

#78 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 22 September 2010 - 17:02

September 26th 1918.

Main Article

American Pilots Destroy 10 Balloons

Today the famous and deadly 94th Pursuit Squadron; "The Hat in the Ring" led by Captain Eddie V Rickenbacker (the American Ace and famous racing car driver) destroyed 10 balloons in the Verdun and Damvillers area.

These heroics were in support of the major new offensive launched by General Pershing this morning and are aimed at “poking out the Hun’s eyes”. The “Drachen” observation balloons are used by the Hun to direct artillery fire accurately on allied troops and positions. So the 94th have saved many lives by their removal and the German generals and artillery are now blind!

The German balloon’s job is to observe actions on the front and behind it, to spot allied troop movements, unusual activity of any sort, and to call down artillery fire onto any worthy targets. They are targets of great importance to the British, French and American Headquarters especially before any sort of infantry action to prevent the Germans reacting and reinforcing the front line, so squadrons are frequently ordered to target balloons during a major push.
This feat is particularly heroic as, like all balloons, they were well guarded with Anti Aircraft guns, long-range machine guns and often enemy fighter aeroplanes. Getting to the balloon is easy, however shooting it up is difficult and getting away is very difficult. It requires good nerves, quick reactions, and an all round good pilot to fight their way through the defenses, hit the balloon before it is pulled down and then get away safely again. Our pilots in the 94th didn’t flinch and selflessly put all 10 out of action knowing that to fail would mean American deaths.

Captain Rickenbacker also destroyed a Fokker biplane that was trying to defend the balloon positions. This is Captain Rickenbacker’s 11th confirmed victory and he is fast becoming a terror to all German pilots.

Secondary Article:

Americans Launch Biggest Offensive of the War

Today American Forces led by General Pershing launched an offensive against German positions in Meuse River-Argonne Forest area; the attack was launched in conjunction with their French allies and supported by artillery and air power.
This is part of a major offensive which is aimed at forcing the Germans out of France and Belgium. In the north the Belgians, British and French are attacking through Flanders. In the centre the British and Empire forces attacked the Hindenburg Line between Cambrai and St. Quentin. Finally to the south the French and Americans are attacking between Reims and Verdun, along the Meuse and through the Argonne Forest.
The Meuse-Argonne offensive was launched by the American First Army, under General John Pershing, and the French Fourth Army under General Henri Gourand. The Americans hold the eastern part of the line, from Forges on the Meuse, north west of Verdun, to the centre of the Argonne Forest. The French Fourth Army then took over to Auberive to the Suippe, east of Reims. The Americans face a very difficult task. The German lines are up to twelve miles deep, and have been under development since 1915.. The entire area is hilly and wooded, cut by steep sided valleys, many running across the proposed line of advance.
The Americans have only recently fought a battle at St Mihiel, (12-13 September 1918), east of Verdun, and Pershing has had to transfer 600,000 men along three minor roads to reach his new front west of the city. The fighting at St. Mihiel has also inflicted heavy losses on some of Pershing’s best units, and so the attack in the Argonne has had to be launched many fresh inexperienced troops. However the American “Doughboy” fighting spirit should carry them to victory!

Fake headlines:

AMERICAN FLIER WINS FIGHT WITH SUBMARINE

LUDENDORFF ADMITS IMPAIRED MORALE

#79 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 22 September 2010 - 17:13

25th March 1918

Fake Headlines:

Allies Bomb Frieburg

I assume you are refering to "Freiburg"?

#80 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 22 September 2010 - 19:21

25th March 1918

Fake Headlines:

Allies Bomb Frieburg

I assume you are refering to "Freiburg"?

Yeah cheers. Bloody German names grrrr

Is Frieburg the place that they really enjoy chips? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users