Photo
- - - - -

Mod AI

• Please log in to reply
332 replies to this topic

#241 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:59

I don't know why 777 doesn't let it be the default AI. It's clearly better than the default now. :!:

#242 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:06

Maybe they have something else planned?

I hope so. I'm in the 7 minute boat also.

BTW, if you hit alt-tab after clicking begin mission before the loading screen appears you can do stuff on desktop instead of just waiting.

#243 Speedy2511

Speedy2511

Posted 06 July 2011 - 19:40

Hi, is this mod working with or without the "Mod On Option"?

Thanks

Greetings from germany
Nico

#244 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 06 July 2011 - 19:51

Hi, is this mod working with or without the "Mod On Option"?

Thanks

Greetings from germany
Nico

This mod works only in Mods On Mode.

#245 Speedy2511

Speedy2511

Posted 07 July 2011 - 19:33

Ok, thanks!

I heard that with "Mod On Option" there is so loooooong loading times.
Is zhis correct?

Greetings from Germany
Nico

#246 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 07 July 2011 - 23:39

Ok, thanks!

I heard that with "Mod On Option" there is so loooooong loading times.
Is zhis correct?

Greetings from Germany
Nico

I think it depends on your system, I normally get career missions loaded in 2 to 2 and 1/2 minutes. Occasionally I get one that takes 3 minutes.

#247 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 07 July 2011 - 23:40

Yes, mine is nowhere close to the 7 minutes some are reporting, and my system is modest.

#248 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:27

I'm running about 3 1/2 minutes loading a career mission in "Mods On" mode, with and without this AI Mod installed (compared to 45 seconds loading the same mission in "Mods off" mode).

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#249 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:31

I'm getting at least 6 or 7 minute load times with Mods On. :roll:

#250 Itkovian

Itkovian

Posted 12 July 2011 - 20:13

Does this mod need to be updated with every new patch, or just when a new plane is released?

And I read something about deleting a "world objects" folder. Is this still necessary? And if so, where is that folder?

Thank you.

Itkovian

#251 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 12 July 2011 - 20:46

Does this mod need to be updated with every new patch, or just when a new plane is released?

It does not need to be updated. When a new scout is released it will remain default until you, or someone, updates the AI script associated with it.

And I read something about deleting a "world objects" folder. Is this still necessary? And if so, where is that folder?
Yes, you should delete it. It is located in Rise of Flight\data\Luascripts\World Objects.

Now, stop asking questions and just try it out already. ;)

#252 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 12 July 2011 - 21:01

I'm running about 3 1/2 minutes loading a career mission in "Mods On" mode, with and without this AI Mod installed (compared to 45 seconds loading the same mission in "Mods off" mode).

Same here (but with AI mod too)…what a pity :(

#253 Itkovian

Itkovian

Posted 12 July 2011 - 21:01

I can't try it out from where I am. :)

Another question: should I delete the World Objects folder before or after I install the mod? I notice the mod has a couple of files in there.

Itkovian

#254 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 12 July 2011 - 22:06

Doesn't matter. Those files are no longer compatible with the latest versions of RoF.

#255 aircastellon

aircastellon

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:18

;-)

#256 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 27 July 2011 - 06:15

I'm using the AI mod for the career mode, but I was annoyed with how defensively my fellow SE5a-s flew. I seldom managed to get them to attack, they never dived either.

So I started to fiddle with the SE5a AI file, and modified mainly 2 parameters:

1: there was a minimum and maximum TAS row: the max was set to way too low for novices, and it didn't exceed the max level speed even for aces. So I adjusted it. The min.TAS affects the tactics, I guess. If you set it to, say 130, the AI won't try to turnfight, rather extend away. Therefore I set the aces' minTAS higher than novices'.

2: attack/ engage distance: the former one was set to a few hundred meters, no wonder they never attacked anything despite my flaring and pointing fingers. For "ace" level I set it to 800m / 300m, and it decreases with the AI level.

I didn't get to test it much, but on the 2 missions I flew, the AI put up a great fight, and started scoring kills! So my conclusion is that it's the attack/engage distance that's the most scr*wed up with the RoF AI, that's where the frustration comes from (at least mine).

I'll test it some more, then I'll post the file if you1re interested.

#257 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:22

Sounds good HQ - I always fly with AI and Back seat gunner mods on.

#258 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:29

Very interested, please post.

#259 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 27 July 2011 - 16:22

I'm using the AI mod for the career mode, but I was annoyed with how defensively my fellow SE5a-s flew. I seldom managed to get them to attack, they never dived either.

So I started to fiddle with the SE5a AI file, and modified mainly 2 parameters:

1: there was a minimum and maximum TAS row: the max was set to way too low for novices, and it didn't exceed the max level speed even for aces. So I adjusted it. The min.TAS affects the tactics, I guess. If you set it to, say 130, the AI won't try to turnfight, rather extend away. Therefore I set the aces' minTAS higher than novices'.

2: attack/ engage distance: the former one was set to a few hundred meters, no wonder they never attacked anything despite my flaring and pointing fingers. For "ace" level I set it to 800m / 300m, and it decreases with the AI level.

I didn't get to test it much, but on the 2 missions I flew, the AI put up a great fight, and started scoring kills! So my conclusion is that it's the attack/engage distance that's the most scr*wed up with the RoF AI, that's where the frustration comes from (at least mine).

I hope you get something good going, have you seen the document Han posted? Download it and use a web translator for more information: AI and EIII bug…(on way to be solved by MATT - mods on)

For example this:
RefNoseAngle - the angle at the target pitch, which keeps the AI, if the target at a distance equal to or greater than EngageDistance. With the reduction of the distance to AttackDistance, this angle is reduced to zero.

In addition, if the target at a distance greater than that EngageDistance AI stops to perform combat maneuvers and performs a maneuver to intercept targets.

RefNoseAngle = 22.5
AttackDistance = 75.0
EngageDistance = 150.0

I've been increasing the engage/attack distance a little, but would like to see how you go increasing minimumTAS etc to make the planes faster and more BnZ like.

There are so many variables I think it will need a lot of testing but I guess you're working on just the SE5a initially, then we can try it on other planes.

#260 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 28 July 2011 - 14:01

Well, what's the word? Anything to try out?

It doesn't have to be perfect on the first try, you know.

#261 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 28 July 2011 - 15:00

Here's a slightly modified SE5a AI:

Attached File  caeroplane_se5a.zip   1.24KB   119 downloads

I only adjusted the engage distances - increased them to up to 800 meters - and attack distances - up to 300m so that my wingmen become more keen on engaging the enemy instead of just circling around.

I also adjusted the max/min speeds. I figured that BnZ-ing didn't lay in angles, but speeds. The max speed mostly never exceeded the top speed of the plane- this is wrong, no wonder they never dived.

Please tell me if you can see any difference.

#262 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 28 July 2011 - 16:19

Ok, I ran two tests to see how the AI can handle the SE5 with your adjustments. In both tests, 5 ace SE5s have a 500m altitude advantage over 5 ace Albatros D.Vas. In first test, I was one of the SE5s; in the second, I was one of the Albatrosses.

Test 1: I shot down 4/5 Albatrosses, and we lost one AI SE5.

Test 2: I shot down 2/5 SE5s, and we lost one AI Albatros.

Clearly, the AI is still far better at handling a slow, well-turning aircraft, than a fast, well-climbing aircraft. Additionally, the SE5s were more willing to turn with your adjustments, and would begin to fire from too far out. But they did attack more and dive more. I watched one head-on an AI Albatros, and then the AI SE5 immediately began to turnfight him and died.

In retrospect, I think the reason why Criquet had the max TAS so low was to force the AI to keep its altitude and not turn-fight.

Can you make it so the AI engages from the longer distance, but holds its fire until a reasonable range?

#263 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 28 July 2011 - 16:25

But with a max TAS of 190, you can't really extend, can you?

I wonder what the diffrence is between engage distance, attack distance and open fire distance.
Open fire is clear enough.

#264 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 28 July 2011 - 20:19

Looking over your changes some more, you have the engage distance at 800m and the attack distance at 300m. You would think that would cause the AI to open up at 300m, but they're really opening up at 800m.

The min/max open fire distances seem to be ignored.

————-

Just did a run with Criquet's SE5. Yours is definitely better, even if it has some issues. Criquet's SE5s almost never attack.

#265 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:33

Yes, that's what confuses me too :?

I read Han's manual to clarify a thing or two, and it pretty much discouraged me. I think I'll give up for now :(

#266 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:35

Reflected with your SE5a career - do you experience your wingmen refusing to come down from altitude?

Im doing an AFC SE5a career, and as I descend for anything, my wingmen just stay up at 3000m or near where they were.

Either their descent rate is extremely slow, or they are refusing to come down until landing.

It only happens with the combined mods.. maybe we can tweak something to make them more likely to descend?

#267 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:25

Taipan, I had that happen when I first started playing the B-career mods-off.

#268 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 11 September 2011 - 13:37

Mods off? that's strange.

I was thinking maybe the SE5a AI have to be very careful about descending due to the overrev issue. But they do take forever to come down unless an enemy is right there. I can't get them to attack balloons at all either.

#269 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 11 September 2011 - 13:45

I had it happening with AI D.VII wingmen. In a flight of 4 with me, the human, as flight leader, only 1 AI pilot would engage with me and the others would stay up high.

#270 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 11 September 2011 - 14:07

I had it happening with AI D.VII wingmen. In a flight of 4 with me, the human, as flight leader, only 1 AI pilot would engage with me and the others would stay up high.

Yes that is what bothers me from day one.
It´s a RoF thing and the devs should be aware of that but so far nothing has changed..

#271 Russkly

Russkly

Posted 30 September 2011 - 13:08

It does not need to be updated. When a new scout is released it will remain default until you, or someone, updates the AI script associated with it.

Yes, you should delete it. It is located in Rise of Flight\data\Luascripts\World Objects.

Gavvers, Old Chap!

Why would done delete the "worldobjects" folder?

That's where all the rear gunner mods are for me (following instructions).

The AI mods appear to be in "ai" in the "Data/LuaScripts" folder, and the rear gunner mods in the "worldobjects" folder.

Am I doing something wrong?

R

#272 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 30 September 2011 - 14:02

Did I mess up something or the new modded AI does an awful lot of split S turns?

#273 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 30 September 2011 - 14:25

That looks so to me too with Fokker EI as AI

#274 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 30 September 2011 - 15:06

Gavvers, Old Chap!

The AI mods appear to be in "ai" in the "Data/LuaScripts" folder, and the rear gunner mods in the "worldobjects" folder.

R

Criquet's original AI mod contained gunner scripts that are no longer compatible with the latest versions of RoF.

If you downloaded the "compilation" that I shared in this subforum, then I already deleted his old scripts for you and replaced them with the new ones I made.

:S!:

#275 Russkly

Russkly

Posted 30 September 2011 - 18:30

Gavvers, Old Chap!

R

Criquet's original AI mod contained gunner scripts that are no longer compatible with the latest versions of RoF.

If you downloaded the "compilation" that I shared in this subforum, then I already deleted his old scripts for you and replaced them with the new ones I made.

:S!:

Golly!

I did indeed use your very useful compilation.

How does one know whether one has the most updated mods then?

Sorry if I'm being a complete fool here!

R

#276 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 30 September 2011 - 22:00

Personally, I use the mod compilation I posted, and then I copied avimimus' mod over it. Single player RoF has never been better.

How do you know? I just keep track. Maybe someone has figured out how to use the jsgme switcher thing for RoF?

#277 ClipWing

ClipWing

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:01

@ gavagai

jsgme is pretty straightforward to use. With any moddable game I simply install jsgme into the game folder (in this case, ROF).
You will now have JSGME.exe and a MODS folder inside the ROF folder.

Into this MODS folder you now place any mods you have, following the correct file/folder structure.
So for example in my MODS folder is the subfolder "Mod-AI-V5.1",insde this is subfolder "Data",inside this is"Luascripts", inside this is "ai", the folder holding the files.

Upon activating the JSGME.exe a window appears with left panel showing available mods (in this case "Mod-AI-V5.1"), and the right panel showing activated mods.
The mods are activated or de-activated by highlighting a mod and moving from one panel to the other.

Can't go wrong with it.And it lets you know if any files you are modding, have already been replaced by another mod so you can cancel installation and look for a workaround.

Hope this is of help to you or anyone else unfamiliar with this great little programme.

#278 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:36

Sure, I've used it for Il-2. If it's really so easy to adapt it for RoF, then it's something we should do.

#279 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:09

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to using JSGME when you can just overwrite the existing files or delete them and use the restore function if you screw up.

#280 elephant

elephant

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:16

Not a trouble at all to use it…I find it most helpful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users