Photo
- - - - -

"The Death" of Mannock" Sequel to the Voss/Red Baron Movies!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:12

Hello all,

Here's the third in the "Death of" series.. Edward 'Mick' Mannock

If you can, please watch in 720p HD and full-screen with the volume up! Like being at the movies then! (same goes for the Red Baron film) :geek: :lol:

Hope you like it - but comments, suggestions welcome…

#2 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:15

Ps.. There are 3 minor bloopers - Prize to anyone spotting them ;)

#3 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:43

ahh thank you for this…Mick Mannock and Werner Voss are my two favourite WW1 pilots…why? They were knights of the sky, they were brave…..and crazy…..
btw, now we see (again) how dangerous was flyin low in WW1….spec. in 1918.

#4 Flowbee_602

Flowbee_602

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:46

Superbly done! :)

I like the way you've seamlessly incorporated real footage with the rof clips.

Great to watch and informative - Thanks!

#5 WF2

WF2

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:41

You are the Peter Jackson of "Crossing the Line" fame " of RoF!

Very nice and very entertaining. …. how about one on Hawker or Immelmann?

#6 IRFC_SmokinHole

IRFC_SmokinHole

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:04

Gisbod,

Outstanding! Each vid better than the last. This reminds me of Glowing Amraam's work with LOMAC/DCS, but much better. His stuff is sometimes kitschy with too much production drama, camera shake, etc. You have all the tricks, but your art is in holding them back therefore taking nothing away from the drama. This should be the video playing in the background at any 777 presentation.

#7 BlackSwan

BlackSwan

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:38

Can't wait to check out the video when I get home. The Werner Voss one was fantastic and very informative.

#8 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:59

Amazing this is really good. I love the care you put into these - really compelling stuff.

Have you considered doing the death of White:

"The Fokker kept diving on Cox as White raced back, head on at it firing without effect. He must have realised that Cox would be shot down unless he put the Bosche out of the fight, so he never swerved. I watched them come together, thought for a moment they would pass side by side, but the next instant off came a wing of each plane amid a cloud of splinters and shreds of fabric and down they went spinning like tops"

Capt James Meissner, 147 Aero Squadron, 2nd Pursuit Group on the death of Wilbert White. (Quoted in Parks "No Greater Love" p53)

I think how ROF's damage model works would make it really good.

I've got some other accounts if you are interested I'll PM them to you. One of the most amazing selfless acts I've ever read about. It was only a few months before the armistice.

#9 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 01 September 2010 - 13:28

Great movie as always!

P.S. Cant find any of your "Bloopers" then again not great at picking peoples hard work apart :)

#10 =J99=Sizzlorr

=J99=Sizzlorr

Posted 01 September 2010 - 13:36

Very well done!

yedwwtfx.gif

#11 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 01 September 2010 - 16:35

Really excellent!

Bloopers? I think there is discrepancy in the two mentions of the number of kills Mannock had.

I've been to the cemetery at Laventie and, while I wouldn't change the grave marker without proof, it might be fitting to add a plaque explaining it likely is Mannock's grave.

Mannock's close friend George McElroy ("McIrish") is buried very close by in the same cemetery.

Great vid!

Thank you!

HT

#12 150GCT_Veltro

150GCT_Veltro

Posted 01 September 2010 - 18:03

Another great video!!! Thank you very much, really appreciated!

#13 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 01 September 2010 - 18:20

Excellent Gisbod. I waited to get home to watch this, for the full experiance. Great job with the mixing of footage there. A moving and well executed tribute.

S!

#14 WWBrian

WWBrian

Posted 01 September 2010 - 19:16

The only blooper I can find - is how come I cant create something as completely awesome as you do!?!? :lol:

Another superb effort!!

I'm diggin' this series!

Keep 'em comin'!

S!

#15 =FB=Chapay

=FB=Chapay

Posted 01 September 2010 - 20:03

Thank`s! I love it!

#16 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:50

Great movie, thanks.

~S~

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#17 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:55

Thanks very much for your comments ;)

Really excellent!

Bloopers? I think there is discrepancy in the two mentions of the number of kills Mannock had.

I've been to the cemetery at Laventie and, while I wouldn't change the grave marker without proof, it might be fitting to add a plaque explaining it likely is Mannock's grave.

HT

Hi Tom,

The number of kills comes from the book "Mannock - The Life and Death of Major Edward Mannock" by Norman Franks & Andy Saunders (2008).

They have a comprehensive list of all Mannock's victories taken from various sources - combat reports, official records, and the personal diary of Caldwell, who kept a record of all squadron victories with 74 Squadron. I believe they are not all 'official' victories, but were his nonetheless.. Putting him at 61 with the last DFW..

How many did you have him down for? :geek: (Have you seen the documentary "Aces Falling? Great stuff on the location of his remains - I think it may have been done in conjunction with the book - as they both state the same facts)

As for the 'Bloopers' competition -

1. The opening scene has a Caldwell skin (checkered tail) But you have to look closely (in full screen probably) - I didn't get the proper Mannock skin until quite late on (from Fubar - excellent job!) and only slotted in a quick shot of it before the DVa crash.

2. From the cut scene at St Omer - different SE5a squadron markings.

3. Ditto - A control tower in the background! (not convinced that was strictly authentic! :lol: )

On reflection, I probably would have cut that scene.. :roll:

#18 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:59

None of those stop it from being a great movie.

That's the problem with doing stuff so far removed from the event - you need a little creative licence as it's hard to recreate things exactly.

Keep them coming! :)

#19 MicahSJ

MicahSJ

Posted 02 September 2010 - 14:14

You've got great talent Gisbod. Thanks again for another video. Please keep making them.

#20 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 03 September 2010 - 23:27

Thanks..

I'd like to see an option for an overcast sky in the QMB without rain.. I think the grey overcast looks just amazingly realistic.. (currently only available in the mission editor) There's something about the blue sky that doesnt look quite right - but I can't really put my finger on why! :geek:

#21 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:57

Very well done.

#22 Wiley

Wiley

Posted 27 September 2010 - 19:02

This movie “Death of Mannock” by Gisbod has been selected for showcasing at the FlightSim Movies Website

Congratulations Gisbod! S!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users