Photo
- - - - -

Mod/Fix for blocky ground textures

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 MattM

MattM

Posted 29 August 2010 - 14:12

OK, didn't know a better place (again) to post this. Anyway, i made a small mod, that gets rid of the block ground textures that appear at long distances and are mostly noticable over the trenches.

I would appreciate it, if the devs would consider putting this mod in one of the coming updates to fix this problem without the need of using mods. Thank you.

To see the difference, look at the trenches at the top of the screenshots.

Attached Files

#2 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 29 August 2010 - 14:30

You are easily one of the most clever people here. :geek:

#3 GBrutus

GBrutus

Posted 29 August 2010 - 14:35

Nice work, thanks.

#4 MattM

MattM

Posted 29 August 2010 - 14:38

You are easily one of the most clever people here. :geek:
Hey thanks alot. :D

BTW, because someone of my squadron buddies ask me this, this mod has 0% effect on performance. All i did was brighten up a single texture for the summer and winter map.

#5 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 29 August 2010 - 16:14

Wow,now that makes a difference!
Very good and thank you Matt!

Ps: Do u still have the Sop.Camel´s wooden instrument panel for offer?
Greetings DerMo

#6 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:36

Matt - Very good ;)

Can you please direct your brainpower to the thorny issue of shimmering next :ugeek:

#7 MattM

MattM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 15:36

Sure here you go. Had a hard time finding it, it's been a while. :lol:
http://riseofflight....ile.php?id=2575" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">download/file.php?id=2575
Can you please direct your brainpower to the thorny issue of shimmering next :ugeek:
I never really had this shimmering problem (or i just haven't noticed it) and it's tough to try to fix something you can't see.

Overall suggestion would be (incase you haven't done so already):

1. Uninstall the graphic card driver completely.
2. Make a restart.
3. Reinstall newest driver.

If this doesn't help, set ROF settings to default.

If this doesn't help, i've no idea.

#8 VonHelton

VonHelton

Posted 30 August 2010 - 15:46

What am I supposed to be seeing? Could you circle it in red?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

#9 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 30 August 2010 - 15:49

This should deffinately get into the next update, thank you for your hard work.

~S~

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#10 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 30 August 2010 - 15:49

Sure here you go. Had a hard time finding it, it's been a while. :lol:

Thank you Matt!!!
I remember you did two versions of the panel but the second (better)version did´nt work,right?Is this the first version?
Grüsse, Der Mo

#11 MattM

MattM

Posted 30 August 2010 - 17:21

If you don't see the difference in the screenshots, then this mod is no good for you anyway.

@DerMo: I only made one version, didn't really have time back then and pretty much forgot about it.

There are many very talented skinners around (Fubar, Graf11), maybe it would be a good idea to ask them if they would make a realistic looking panel. I think compared to them, my skinning skills are non-existent.

#12 Parazaine

Parazaine

Posted 30 August 2010 - 20:51

As far as shimmering goes, it seems to be related to Antialiasing and Anisotropic filtering settings.

The lower they are, the more shimmering you MAY experience depending on your video card. Higher resolutions seem to help a bit too.

It's not really a game issue, more of a graphics card/settings issue.

I have a fairly modest video card (nvidia 9600gs 768 meg GPU)and have spent a lot of time fiddling with the game settings and also with Nhancer (which helped me get rid of the shimmering) while trying to get the best resolution and frame rates possible.

It's a balancing act between performance and quality (unless you have a good system).

#13 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 30 August 2010 - 21:37

If you don't see the difference in the screenshots, then this mod is no good for you anyway.

@DerMo: I only made one version, didn't really have time back then and pretty much forgot about it.

There are many very talented skinners around (Fubar, Graf11), maybe it would be a good idea to ask them if they would make a realistic looking panel. I think compared to them, my skinning skills are non-existent.

LOL - I was about to post the same question - I'm sure I'm missing something, but I've pored over the two screenshots for some time and have yet to be able to spot the difference that the fix is making here (I've never used the winter maps in game, so I've never noticed any issue with the terrain before either, so I'm at a loss here). Just for grins, could someone highlight the area in question here for us old coots who can't see it yet?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#14 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 August 2010 - 22:05

IT's the far end of no man's land: the original is just a huge rectangular texture.

#15 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 30 August 2010 - 22:15

IT's the far end of no man's land: the original is just a huge rectangular texture.

Thanks - knowing where to look, when I put those two areas side by side the difference really did become apparent, and the new one certainly does look better. For some reason, when I was flipping back and forth before (opening one and then the other) I couldn't remember enough about what the other one looked like to spot it. Of course, the fact that I didn't know where to look and that it was about 2am when I was looking at them probably had something to do with it, too. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it :lol:

Nice work indeed!

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#16 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 August 2010 - 22:18

I think "Where's Wally" will never be the stuff for you :D

#17 MattM

MattM

Posted 31 August 2010 - 14:40

I added two smaller screenshots to make it more obvious.

I honestly thought that "that gets rid of the block ground textures that appear at long distances and are mostly noticable over the trenches" in combination with "look at the trenches at the top of the screenshots" was clear enough.

I've never used the winter maps in game, so I've never noticed any issue with the terrain before either
The issue exists on the summer map aswell and as i said in the first post, it does fix it there aswell.

#18 pakfront

pakfront

Posted 31 August 2010 - 18:00

Looks great, that has been an eyesore for too long.

#19 VonHelton

VonHelton

Posted 31 August 2010 - 18:07

Thanks - knowing where to look, when I put those two areas side by side the difference really did become apparent, and the new one certainly does look better. For some reason, when I was flipping back and forth before (opening one and then the other) I couldn't remember enough about what the other one looked like to spot it. Of course, the fact that I didn't know where to look and that it was about 2am when I was looking at them probably had something to do with it, too. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it :lol:

Nice work indeed!

Ah, to be 20 again, where we had perfect vision, knew everything & never made any mistakes!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#20 NickM

NickM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 15:48

Thanks, Matt. Good fix.

Nick

#21 Stickgrip

Stickgrip

Posted 04 September 2010 - 20:02

I'm Sorry I'm seeing no changes , maybe I did it wrong?

What game settings are you using?

This Is the Fix I'm looking for .

#22 MattM

MattM

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:07

Are you running with mods-on?

Look in your

Rise of Flight\data\graphics\LANDSCAPEand
Rise of Flight\data\graphics\LANDSCAPE_WINTER
folders and check if there is a file called "type1_high.dds" in there. If not, then you didn't unpack the archive correctly.

#23 Stickgrip

Stickgrip

Posted 05 September 2010 - 21:55

It's off

and I have the Items in the folders.

what changes are you getting ?

#24 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 05 September 2010 - 23:50

Are you running with mods-on?

It's off

Do you mean by that response that you have the "modifications on" box ticked or not? You must have that box ticked/checked on the "game settings" tab/page, or you will not be able to see these kinds of unofficial changes to the game.

#25 Stickgrip

Stickgrip

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:41

I now tryed on and off no difference.

Maybe I have a problem?

#26 MattM

MattM

Posted 07 September 2010 - 14:22

what changes are you getting ?
The changes i documented in the screenshots on the first page.

I don't quite understand what you mean. Do you still see those black blocky textures at long distance over the trenches, after using this mod and running with mods-on?

#27 Stickgrip

Stickgrip

Posted 07 September 2010 - 17:55

I've tryed about every combo I can think of .

My conclusion is maybe I never had the blocky textures.

The problem I have is when your in level flight just in from the horizon the roads have a jagged look, and they flicker as you pan.

#28 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:33

Nope :-( Fix is not good. This fix makes rivers with incorrect colors (yellow instead of blue, at summer, for example) at far-LODs of terrain.
Nice try, but… Unforyunally can't be implemented.

#29 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:36

I've tryed about every combo I can think of .

My conclusion is maybe I never had the blocky textures.

The problem I have is when your in level flight just in from the horizon the roads have a jagged look, and they flicker as you pan.

Shimmering! :roll:

Shimmering Poll

#30 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:37

ATI HD5870 & Shimmering back..Help please?

#31 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:03

The correct fix will be is to remove RED channel in masks everywhere on the frontline where is no water.
Masks with frontline are attached.

Sequeence of actions:
1. Open mask, set RGB image mode
2. Select RED channel as working
3. Set 0-0-0 black as fore and back ground color, use eraser to remove RED channel everywhere on frontline except rivers and lakes (be cearfull with them! use narrow brushes for tight water areas)
4. Check that there no red remained where it is not needed
5. Select INDEXED colors mode, with shown settings (256, adaptive)
6. Save

Make this with all masks in the archieve.

When you will complete this correct fix - post it here, we will check and implement it.

Attached Files

#32 MattM

MattM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:13

Why exactly would that be necessary? The fix works fine the way it is. Atleast for me. If there's something wrong with this fix, could make a screenshot so i can see what the real problem is?

#33 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:16

Becourse rivers with your fix are YELLOW on the far LOD.

#34 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:18

Matt I updated my post on our forums, check here for screenshots:
http://www.hellequin...&p=14611#p14611" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.hellequin...t/forums/viewto … 611#p14611

#35 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:34

screens

Attached Files

#36 MattM

MattM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 14:56

The only thing my mod does, is brighten a single small texture up. I don't see how this could cause this kind of problem and i'm not getting this problem when i use my mod. See attached screenshot.

Are you running any other mod? If not, what are you settings. Maybe it has something to do with the shader or texture setting.

Attached Files

#37 Han

Han
  • Developer

Posted 15 September 2010 - 20:52

Nope. Lower settings have such collaboration with your mod.
How it can be? It's simple - this texture it is a FAR distance WATER texture. actualy…

PS
Look at your screenshot - rivcer is YELLOW at far distance (behind the frontline).
Best to look for this bug with your mod is to look at Resort Lake at N-W corner of the map - look at it with wide zoom and from far distance…

#38 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 13 October 2010 - 19:44

Any news on this?

#39 Col-Morr

Col-Morr

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:36

I have ROF rise of flight and the latest update's but I've never seen my graphics look that good. Are you running Ironcross or Ice, I have all my settings maxed out and my computer can get the job done so what am I missing.

#40 joem423

joem423

Posted 07 February 2014 - 23:58

How do you install this mod. My apologies, but im new to this modding stuff.

thanks in advance,
Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users