Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:33

…a RoF-time clock with UTC-time….

regards J99°vonTrips

+1

yedwwtfx.gif

#43 KiwiPete

KiwiPete

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:05

Simpler navigation I shouldn't have to click on lots of links to navigate around. I like the sky colour but would suggest that the background appear as a aerodrome with the planes spread around - with new planes being revealed from a hanger.

Link to tips, WWI flight school training and the basics of air combat in WWI (perhaps links to external sites.)

Why is it so hard to download the demo version? I shouldn't have to register here then register
at another site to download the demo! The latest version of the demo should be front and centre of your website!

Use the content of your website to push information to the homepage - have sections for potential "recruits", technical support, user community comments, game play tips "did you know that plane A outperforms Plane B in a climb?" etc.

Design style - A newspaper circa 1917 perhaps highlighting new updates, global messages etc featured. the headline photo could be the aerodrome I mentioned above, or your new models for sale stuff. You could perhaps include an RSS feed onto your homepage linking to "today in history" to present some factual historical news items relating to the period. Helps add to the atmosphere for the players (a nice to have). The goal is to avoid having the homepage become an administration nightmare.

My two cents worth!
Regards
Pete

#44 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:40

I like the idea of having the screen of the eagles (or eagle and buzzard?) fighting and maybe all the text on some sort of worn-out paper. :)

#45 Herodotus

Herodotus
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 January 2011 - 15:32

Like the "RoF" hangar of aircraft (and the displayed medals) on the opening end of the game, a museum, artifact-filled theme woud suit the site well in my books.

#46 Millst0ne

Millst0ne

Posted 20 January 2011 - 15:50

Any new news on this anyway?

#47 Kumpel

Kumpel

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:36

In your store the following message is used:

To purchase airplanes or other products in the ROF store you need to be logined on the ROF web site with the same e-mail and password - as you do it into the ROF.

In the English language "login" is a noun, and the corresponding verb is "to log in".
So your message should say "logged in" or "logged on".

#48 IRFC_SmokinHole

IRFC_SmokinHole

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:50

Dark, classic background in tones of sepia or grey. The whole thing sombre and tragic like the war itself. In the middle a quick flash video starting in the same mood but quickly transitioning to a bone-crushing furball and raining plane parts. The music for this video should start with the idiotic symphonic/choral arrangements that all war videos that attempt to be "classy" use. But along with the transition of the video, the music should turn modern and fun. May I recommend "An Owl with Knees" by the Books? Other than the flash window, the only real colors are the 777 studios logo and the language selection flags.

#49 swissdragon

swissdragon

Posted 07 August 2011 - 13:14

Hi Jason

I would like to see a complete WW1 Aerodrome with historic looks as home for RoF!

- With a "Hangar" for shopping and getting information about the planes, with 3d planes, zoomable and free camera, so one can see every detail of the gorgeous planes you created.

- A "Mission room" with the Media in it, providing a lots of historical data and short RoF movies and pictures.

- A "Commanders office" for the forums and official statemants.

- A "Pilots room" with the international MP stats and personal data.

- A historical "Recruitment poster" for newbies/new customers with RoF keyfeatures and RoF News/Announcements.

I can't imagine any better Theme for RoF than a historical one.

Cheers!

#50 LW_Jupes

LW_Jupes

Posted 07 August 2011 - 18:04

I'm not sure where this stands, however being a web designer, I offer the following:

You folks (the developers) likely already have a design in mind and seem to be looking for ideas with respect to functionality more than "look and feel", so that is where I will confine my comments.

Your original home page was focused on advertising and selling the game. That was correct for the design in 2009 when the sim first came out, and now that you have a loyal following, it is time to re-address your marketing for both newcomers and your loyal fans. So with that in mind:

1) Advertising. Reduce the size of the current ads, and confine them to the right.

2) News Briefs. Current flight sim news excerpts should be posted somewhere on the home page to entice visitors to read further on developments on the sim. You might consider expanding your news/articles scope to include contributions by community members at this point since we have some rather talented writers. Examples include the Camel FAG and the new series of articles being published in Aero Magazine. This will not only help ROF, it will also help in SEO (search engine optimization), the details of which I will not go into here.

3) Include excerpts from the forum. We have an excellent and well behaved forum and it can be proudly displayed on the home page to proclaim that you have an excellent community following. It also gives visitors a quick link to key forums from the home page.

4) Key community materials and the Wiki. There have been a number of excellent contributions that enhance the sim and help newcomers to the sim. These can be added as quick links from the home page as well.

5) Keep it dynamic. You (the developers) are doing a wonderful job by constantly working on updates to the sim, however newcomers will not always see this upon first glance. The home page needs to be kept dynamic to give visitors the impression that the sim is up-to-date and constantly evolving. It's an impression that people get from the web. Static home page = static business. How can you keep it dynamic? The items I mentioned above all help, but I would also recommend changing the background, changing or revolving the header (should you use one), holding contests and inviting community feedback whenever possible (you already do this in the forums - highlight it through excerpts and articles as well).

As to where to place the elements, studies show that people look to the center of a website first, then the top, then the left, then the right. In that order. So you then need to prioritize your content accordingly. You may even consider doing some usability studies with some of the community members.

I've flown a lot of sims and designed a LOT of websites professionally. You are in the pilot's seat on this one - you have a successful sim and a supportive community to "take advantage of" if you will ;-) Involve the community while you have them behind you - you cannot ask for better advertising than that.

#51 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:58

Sorry guys but I'm pretty sure this idea is dead in the water. Jason was asking for ideas 8 months ago and we never heard about it again… :lol:

#52 LW_Jupes

LW_Jupes

Posted 08 August 2011 - 13:54

I wouldn't think it's actually dead, just put off for the time being due to a shift in priorities. I see this happen all the time with websites ;) That's why I felt it didn't hurt to toss a post in the mix. Eventually they'll come back to this.

#53 =III=Flav

=III=Flav

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:15

Hi Jason

I would like to see a complete WW1 Aerodrome with historic looks as home for RoF!

- With a "Hangar" for shopping and getting information about the planes, with 3d planes, zoomable and free camera, so one can see every detail of the gorgeous planes you created.

- A "Mission room" with the Media in it, providing a lots of historical data and short RoF movies and pictures.

- A "Commanders office" for the forums and official statemants.

- A "Pilots room" with the international MP stats and personal data.

- A historical "Recruitment poster" for newbies/new customers with RoF keyfeatures and RoF News/Announcements.

I can't imagine any better Theme for RoF than a historical one.

Cheers!

Now that sir, I like. :S!:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users