• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:17

Hey everyone,

We are considering changing the ROF home page and we know some of you guys are creative and you certainly like to give you opinions, so tell us what you'd like to see on the home page for Rise of Flight. Please keep your comments focused on the home page only and not the entire website. Please keep your comments respectful and brief.

We don't know what exactly we want to do yet, so we are looking for inspiration or ideas or if you think it's fine the way it is now you can tell us that too. Again, we're just looking for ideas and a little input. Different ROF team members have different ideas, so we'd thought we'd ask you guys too.

Jason

#2 O_Smiladon

O_Smiladon

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:40

S! Jason,

Yep I think it could do with a refit so to speak. Maybe have the wining action shot that’s in the comp at moment as a water mark and then have your links situated around it.With Raise Of Flight font in the period them.

Or maybe have it set out like those recruitment posters of the time. Just some ideas for ya.

O_Smiladon

#3 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:26

S! Jason

I like the style of having the planes on the frontpage that you can click on and it shows the larger picture of the plane i think these areas of the frontpage could be used for better more important items.
In my opinion you could use the front page to promote special offers and your supplier retail outlets , just an idea.

Did i mention special offers :) good place to show off a nice presentable factual home page focused toward new pilots joining Rise of Flight.

I think it makes sense to have a link to the ICE Edition pack at the moment its not on the website and i think it has earned the right to be present.
Show off the Water jason , and the Landscape , give people enquiring about ROF the virtual tour , maybe the plane clickable links should really be focused towards important priority links like "where-to-Buy" and "screenshots" and "download" everyone always checks out what they can download :) and the very important Video links so the new pilot can SEE what hes missing out on.
New people visit to SEE and confirm what they want to buy ,at the moment if the new person visits the ROF website and does not click "ABOUT" he or she will miss the virtual tour of what Rise of Flight is all about , so maybe the front page / home page needs to be more clickable links to important things for the Visitors like above instead of the actual plane clickable links that are present to-date and are present within the virtual store.

It would be good to change the store to maybe a Aircraft Hanger so when your looking at the plane its on a airfield maybe inside or just outside the hanger doors , just another idea , not hard to imagine :)

Jason , a 777 Studios advert :)

Spell checker for the forums im an aweful speller sorry :)

Best Regards
Tony
O_Wolfpac

#4 SC/JG_Oesau

SC/JG_Oesau

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:58

IMO needs to have some more information about ROF and what it is (looking on the forums will provide some idea on what people want to know) - but it needs to be simple and not too wordy (a challenge), if someone wants to drill down for more information then they can.

I'm not a fan of homepages that are basically a page with noting much but "click here", you want to home page to be informative but not too busy.

Updates can be added to the homepage, but again, it depends on the audidence you want to try for. Is it for the new people to ROF or for a good laumching page for everyone (new and those slighly older to ROF)?

#5 BlackSwan

BlackSwan

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:55

I would suggest having a couple of small screens on the right side of main page. One would be of the best player submitted screenshots of all the different aircraft, with the pictures changing every 5 seconds. The second screen would be the best player submitted video of the week. (Kind of like the death of the Red baron and Werner Voss) The Voss one was especially good.

Make the main screen background more ominous and dark, not the powder blue sky it is now. Maybe the best screenshot you can find of a SE.5 fighting a Dr.1. or better yet a Albatros D.Va :twisted:

Have weekly updates on the main page as well as a weekly player submitted question which is answered by the main players behind this great sim.

Maybe have a bi-weekly updated link to a famous French/German/British/American ace.

On the left side list the available planes. When you click on a specific plane another page comes up decribing the plane and what pilots thought of it.

#6 =FB=Vaal

=FB=Vaal
  • Developer

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:32

If you choose to update the site.
Maybe engine forum will change? such as vbulletin with elements of social networking groups (read squads), blogs, calendars, etc.
http://www.vbulletin...php?do=features" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.vbulletin...php?do=features

#7 PP_Nobody96

PP_Nobody96

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:28

There are a couple of things i would like:

1) Supported Resolutions:
It would be nice if you could view the forums and the page in a 1024x768 resolution without the need to scroll sideways. I'm using a couple of old laptops to suite my multitasking habits and only have one big screen for my main machine.

2) News vs. Announcements:
It would be nice if you could put them together or at least in a separate section where you can see how they are related to each other. Also it would be nice if you could add a changelog. I would really love to review and remember how RoF has changed in the past year :)

3) Leaderboard:
It would be nice if you could see your own ranking in the various sections. Being a casual player (most of the time :)) i would like to now how far i am away from the top100 (or 1000 …)

so long
Mathias

#8 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:36

Have a groovy intro video that will blow everyone away (with option to skip of course).

Provide links to other user videos that again showcase the sim, screenshot gallery, maybe a smaller leader board (to 20 pilots or something) and an "in the works link" detailing the features of the latest update and forthcoming planes/features.

The idea should be to wow the veiwer with ROF's graphics and gameplay and inform them that ROF is a ongoing and ever improving project that they want to be a part of.

Arma2's is a good example of the sort of thing i mean http://www.arma2.com/home_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.arma2.com/home_en.html

#9 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 24 August 2010 - 13:52

I would change the background of the homepage to look like the old Hangar and put the planes on portrates on the wall of the hangar and Maybe a newsreel with the winning promo video or you could link footage of your new plane releases.

#10 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 24 August 2010 - 13:54

I would change the background of the homepage to look like the old Hangar and put the planes on portrates on the wall of the hangar and Maybe a newsreel with the winning promo video or you could link footage of your new plane releases.

Good idea! I really like the current look of the website, but an old hangar look would be even better.

#11 Masaq

Masaq

Posted 24 August 2010 - 14:53

Here's a novel idea for you -
The control systems/gauges could be the links to the various sub-pages, along with a link text to identify what each link clicked through to. Flash animation on the components so that clicking the triggers to go to the store fires the spandaus, for example.

Nerdy and bandwidth intensive, but done well it'd be pretty swish.

Failing that, just have a website that obeys good style laws - keep the garish awards to the bottom of the home screen, don't have masses of text on the front page, put the minimum specs on their own side and have the main page as a hyperportal to link through to everything else rather than having lots of submenus.

Submenus, like too many subforums, are bad.

#12 VicciVicciouss

VicciVicciouss

Posted 24 August 2010 - 17:47

Hi @ all

I think it should have a vintage-style
like a Homepage looks in the early days of the last Century :D
Maybe making it like an old Newspaper as we can see in the Screenshot from the coming career mode.
There you could make a section with links to the Store, designed like an advertisement, or introduce new Planes in an article with a little technical Text and a Picture clicking on starting a Video from the Plane. Same way for Honoring Screenshot/Video competition Winners.
And, if it is possible some gentle sound, like starting/landing Planes.

Salute from Germany

#13 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 24 August 2010 - 21:22

All good ideas Shumway, but website sounds can be repetitive and annoying after a while. :? :)

#14 BH_Vfw_Klaue

BH_Vfw_Klaue

Posted 24 August 2010 - 21:51

S! The two Eagles fighting poster is cool like the one in the P Wilson generator.

#15 Doconicus

Doconicus

Posted 25 August 2010 - 20:52

Form:
-The design or brand style used currently is excellent. The mature approach is different and refreshing (please read my critique thread) On the opening face page I would use the same motif but feature a single random plane complete with a much larger image, including specs and historical info. This would be aesthetically pleasing and offer selling points.

-Don't change the design brand. It currently is not dated and is very different and attractive.

Function:
-There needs to be a technical area showing key commands and game info and a glossary. I still don't know what some of the in-game functions and options mean.

-It would be prudent to have a historical reverence section. Photos of the real planes and pilots, timelines and facts. (no reason why Rise of Flight can't be educational)

-Also, where is there no "Rise of Flight" gear. scarves, leather jackets, patches, hats, poster, etc etc. The basic rule if marketing…if you sell it they will come.

-Fan sections, movies screenshot and stories.

-All the above and the content currently offered would be great.

#16 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 25 August 2010 - 21:31

Doconicus some really good points

yes

#17 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 25 August 2010 - 21:44

I like the current design (how it looks). I'm not sure what the front page should offer, but there should definitely be a media section showing community screenshots and videos.

I think there should be a community ROF fanpage catering to a lot of things that would be too much for the official homepage, uncluding a lot of community stuff and information for new players. I've been thinking about this for longer, and it would relieve the main website and create an objective counterpart to the official stuff.

#18 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:35

Highly visible main page buttons

> TRY NOW FOR FREE <

> BUY NOW <

Squadron forum and subforums

Squadrons are the beating heart of this sim. They are the most loyal customers to you and your sim and are the most likely to recruit new players and buy new planes through word-of-mouth.

You want to put them up front as much as possible, not hide them somewhere in the off-topic forum as is presently the case (very, very, very poor decision). It is imperative that potential and new customers have a look at squadron activity and see for themselves that the sim is alive.

I suggest a squadron main forum and subforums for the individual squadrons. These should be open to all but moderated from within the squadron (ability to make stickies, merge topics, delete off-topic posts) and serve as either a main forum for that squadron or a complementing forum to the actual squadron website.

An additional benefit is that this will also lower the squadron creation threshold. If 777 / neoqb already provides the forum, all they need to look for is voice communication and a server to play on, both of which have public ones available.

J5_Hellbender

#19 =J99=Sizzlorr

=J99=Sizzlorr

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:57

I would love to see more artworks of Rise of Flight integrated in the new page design.

yedwwtfx.gif

#20 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:37

Squadron forum and subforums

Squadrons are the beating heart of this sim. They are the most loyal customers to you and your sim and are the most likely to recruit new players and buy new planes through word-of-mouth.

Me and Von Fuchs lobbied to get the current squadron subforums and I agree they are somewhat in a poor position at the moment.

However, with the complete lack of action in the squadron subforum currently (a LOT more squadrons should start topics to introduce themselves and allow newcomers to make an informed choice of what kind of squadron they want to contact or even apply for) having a full squadron board will just make it look bad (read: empty!).

So hereby all squadrons: please make your own topic! And please do something more with the squadron duel topic!

At the moment the ball is in the squadrons' court, after we let ourselves be heard it's up to 777 to give us a better platform I think.

#21 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 26 August 2010 - 13:26

I would love to see more artworks of Rise of Flight integrated in the new page design.

Me too! ;)

#22 NickM

NickM

Posted 26 August 2010 - 19:30

Form:
-The design or brand style used currently is excellent. The mature approach is different and refreshing (please read my critique thread) On the opening face page I would use the same motif but feature a single random plane complete with a much larger image, including specs and historical info. This would be aesthetically pleasing and offer selling points.

-Don't change the design brand. It currently is not dated and is very different and attractive.

100% agreed.

Nick

#23 rkirk77

rkirk77

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:19

Hey Jason,

I suggest you hold a competition to see who could make the BEST design (Home Page) for the up and coming RoF ICE Release. You decide what prizes you wish to give out (1st, 2nd, 3rd.. ) and go from there!

#24 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:25

hq_Reflected a wooden or a wire hanger :lol:

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#25 O_Taipan

O_Taipan

Posted 01 September 2010 - 14:15

If you choose to update the site.
Maybe engine forum will change? such as vbulletin with elements of social networking groups (read squads), blogs, calendars, etc.
http://www.vbulletin...php?do=features" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.vbulletin...php?do=features

I second that - the best forums I've ever used have been vbulletin. Has better subscription options, and can handle displaying alot more info without having to go through many pages.

#26 Speedingbullets

Speedingbullets

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:15

Perhaps a link for training videos.

Some of those planes can be quite difficult to fly and become daunting, especially for newcomers.

I kept some planes on the backburner till I found some videos by someone called Requim which really helped.

#27 hirai

hirai

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:05

Hallo, I think a complete list with all medals and promotions in the game would be nice. I play ROF since the beginning, but I am not sure I own all medals. For example, I do not have the German Knightscross of St. Henry. I have no Idea how to get it. A list with all medals and a little explaination would be nice. See you in the skies……

#28 wrong_name_403

wrong_name_403

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:30

To much stuff on a home page only creates more confusion.
Please just keep it simple, and please don't get carried away with to much background pictures which tend to make it more difficult to read text.

The way you have it is just fine.

#29 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:48

Should have it on a Chalk Board or a pinboard that looks like a mission briefing…. or somethin like that

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#30 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:01

Hallo, I think a complete list with all medals and promotions in the game would be nice. I play ROF since the beginning, but I am not sure I own all medals. For example, I do not have the German Knightscross of St. Henry. I have no Idea how to get it. A list with all medals and a little explaination would be nice. See you in the skies……

You're in luck, all the rewards have been added to the wiki recently:

http://wiki.riseoffl..._and_statistics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wiki.riseofflight.com/index.php? … statistics

#31 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:00

You're in luck, all the rewards have been added to the wiki recently:

http://wiki.riseoffl..._and_statistics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wiki.riseofflight.com/index.php? … statistics

Wow, I wish it would work! :(

#32 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:10

If only the awards would work :? :(

#33 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 07 September 2010 - 14:26

hq_Reflected a wooden or a wire hanger :lol:

He spelled it Hangar, which is correct. Dont know where you got "hanger" :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangar

Good idea! I really like the current look of the website, but an old hangar look would be even better.

#34 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 September 2010 - 14:34

That Zepplin hangar is pretty awesome!

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#35 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 07 September 2010 - 14:50

Near where I live we have an old style Blimp Hangar. Its a Goodyear hangar with a clamshell front. Its so big they said there is weather patterns inside the thing. On humid days it rains indoors.

#36 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 07 September 2010 - 15:21

By the way, a good short-term start might be to replace the dvd cover on the front page with the ICE cover!

#37 Puttly

Puttly

Posted 12 September 2010 - 16:27

Hi Guys; just a small change.. It would be nice to change items in your profile, picture etc. Now when I click on profile it wants to change my password. ??

#38 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 12 September 2010 - 16:31

Puttly, go to "forum settings" to change your forum profile. There you can also add an avatar or signature!

#39 LeBigTed

LeBigTed

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:41

Hi gents,

I know we are one month after the latest post, but I would like to suggest to add some new planes (I mean Fokker EIII, DH2, PUP and/or Triplane) on the main page. I like the design, even if i agree with =IRFC=Bender when he says that 'Highly Visible Main Page Buttons' would be better. I like the main page's LIGHT DESIGN, and think it would not be a good thing to add too much informations on it. But putting the new aircrafts on it would suggest to people that they can improve the game (by adding new aircrafts;o), and people will see ROF is perpetually in evolution.

I hope it will help you, and I wish you good luck ;o)
Cheers

Ted

#40 Nooney

Nooney
  • LocationOn your 6 Boooooom

Posted 27 November 2010 - 21:29

A room for different levels of pilots i.e newbies to ace with instant chat I have made some life long friends in ROF and it would be nice to plan missions and chat without having to go on multiplayer disturbing pilots with catchup chat.

No matter how good you are there are a million other people better than you boy.....Homer Simpson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users