* * * * * 2 votes

Requiem's Tutorials,TIR Profiles: 5 March 2019

• Please log in to reply
330 replies to this topic

#81 OlPaint01

OlPaint01

Posted 03 September 2010 - 23:57

Requiem
Excellent video tutorial series…I have learned so much from them. Do you plan to make a DH2 Famil? I love the early kites!!! Having a ball fighting NP11 and DH2 against Fokker EIII and Alby DII.
OlPaint01

#82 MicahSJ

MicahSJ

Posted 06 September 2010 - 23:44

Thanks for making those videos. They are very good and very informative. I'll definitely be looking over those tutorials to help improve my piloting skills.

#83 crash_burn

crash_burn

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:58

Just started with ROF but seem to have shifted my MG aiming ring to dead center. The settings arent speciffic(or I cant find them) Can I get an assist or direction to material/info? thnx!

#84 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:33

The default head position in cockpit is plane specific.

Without head tracking active you can edit this position with PgUP/PgDn/del/ins/home/end keys then save it with F10.

#85 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 17 September 2010 - 16:12

Snap Roll video added today.

#86 Koala63

Koala63

Posted 20 September 2010 - 22:15

I'll happily add my name to the list of grateful newbies Req.

I'm particularly thankful for the vids addressing engine management (eg. cooling shock) as I'm one of the tragics who turn off all the aid/cheat buttons as soon as they get a sim, and treat the whole thing as an immersive history lesson. The task of learning RoF the hard way has certainly been helped along by your videos. Bravo and well done mate.

#87 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:38

These vids are genius.

Just wanted to say thanks Requiem for all that work

#88 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:46

Cheers guys, I'll have a new video released in line with the next Camel Fag newsletter so keep an eye out for that.

#89 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 20 October 2010 - 15:20

Just wanted to chime in and state that these vids are awesome and I have d/l'd and saved all of them in HD.

#90 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:51

The new Camel Fag is out along with the new vid on Rolling Scissors.

#91 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 29 October 2010 - 13:01

Thanks a lot for these excellent videos!

S!

#92 deathcobra

deathcobra

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:01

great videos, thanks!
since the topic is tutorial, how do you aim properly with aircrafts without aiming ring. would be nice if you explain that in a video with the various types.

#93 Synner

Synner

Posted 16 November 2010 - 23:23

Bought Rise of Flight last week and found myself well out of my depth but these training vids were just the ticket to help me keep trying to improve and actually hit something :)

S!

Synner

#94 Speedingbullets

Speedingbullets

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:07

Hi Requiem,
These vids you`ve made are a great help, and I know when I first found them by accident, I felt very appreaciative for the understanding I gained and acknowlegded what you`d given. These days if someone mentions their lack of flying ability online and I mention the helpful vids, the response is more like "I`ve seen those, and they were a great help, guess I just need more practice".
Still,I know they got mentioned in the Camelfag, though I do think 777 could create a stickied section in the forum that would make efforts, such as your own easily accessible to newcomers and the community alike.
salute

#95 SYN_MrWolf

SYN_MrWolf

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:25

Absolutely..I tooks me so much time to get up to speed with Rof. A section like that would be verry helpfull and easy to find for newcomers.

#96 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 17 November 2010 - 18:17

Thanks guys, it is always good to hear from newcomers who have found them useful. I certainly enjoy creating them but hearing the feedback and requests helps me to keep on doing so :) The best part so far is how barely anyone has needed clarification on the concepts I've tried to get across which tells me the way I'm currently doing so is working. I know for some it can get complicated simply looking at paper trying to visualise what takes place, so these seem to be helping bridge that gap somewhat.
There will be new ones coming soon, but I'm currently finishing off Fall semester here on Dec 6th, so once that is over I will have a LOT more free time to create/finish off some new videos and training aids I've got in the pipeline. I'll essentially be at home while my wife is at work, so there is a bit of free time coming up after the next couple weeks.

I think some of that free time will be spent looking for a new joystick, pedals, and throttle combo for Christmas as I'd love to use them to enhance the flying experience so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

***Current setup is a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro stick I got for a bargain at $20***

#97 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 17 November 2010 - 19:16

Depends on your current setup Req.

I would heartily recommend a FFB stick (MSFFB2) for ROF. It adds so much and really provides you with some awesome feedback.

#98 SYN_MrWolf

SYN_MrWolf

Posted 17 November 2010 - 19:50

Depends on your current setup Req.

I would heartily recommend a FFB stick (MSFFB2) for ROF. It adds so much and really provides you with some awesome feedback.

+1

I use the G940 throttle and pedals besides it..I cannot really say if they are any good, but i have no complaints just yet.

#99 Laser

Laser

Posted 17 November 2010 - 20:18

+1 on MS FFB, if centering force is set to 0.18 it has exactly enough force to stay where you put it, and with shaking effects around 0.7 - 0.8 is awsome, you have best feedback _and_ precision at the same time.

#100 Speedingbullets

Speedingbullets

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:12

Yes, I would prefer FF, Sold my MSFF2 years ago. Miss it now.
I use the X-52 Pro (with handmade leatherbound grip). I find it quite good with curves, and so many buttons.
I have some basic knowledge of flying terminoligy. But just like trying to tell someone how to drive, it seems much quicker and easier when you do it yourself with guidance, or watching someone else doing it. And your vids pretty much convey that.

#101 Synner

Synner

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:44

Ahh good to hear Requiem that you will have more time to play and hopefully make some more additions to your tutorials very soon as they are a big help and great asset to ROF imo :D

As Deathcobra posted earlier a video explaining the aiming or lining up using your guns then shooting at an enemy would be excellent as i'm sure there is a element of lead (perhaps you gotta aim slighty in front of target?) , general physic's also speed involved and if this was explained with perhaps a couple of example's it would help a person like me alot and when any other newcomers join up if they get a general hint of how this goes they will be shooting down enemys quicker then be happy chaps ready to rock.

Heheh sorry if this is actual common knowledge to more of you flying veteran's and i'm sure things will click more i practise but just a hint would be great. ;)

Synner S!

#102 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 18 November 2010 - 16:52

Just wanted to say thank Req for your vids. I have recommended them to a few newbies and they do help.

#103 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 18 November 2010 - 19:56

Actually Req, a video of you doing the aimpoint and sight zeroing tips you made in the Gunnery advice thread might fit well with the flying tips videos.

#104 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 03 December 2010 - 15:47

Added Handley Page 0-400 Famil and Sight Zeroing video.

#105 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 03 December 2010 - 18:15

Very nice Requiem! Thanks for doing that.

Jason

#106 Brutal_Baron

Brutal_Baron

Posted 03 December 2010 - 18:31

A big hat's off salute for all the great vids you are giving to the ROF community.

#107 Jonathan

Jonathan

Posted 05 December 2010 - 21:04

Thank you very much Requiem! I have a question though.

I noticed before you hit SHIFT+T to nestle to the gunsight, you did not have a crosshair floating around on the screen. When I man the gunner positions in the bomber and hit T to grab the guns, I see a yellow circle telling me where my bullets are going to go. I don't want it there, but I can't seem to find out how to get rid of it.

How did you get rid of it?

#108 Synner

Synner

Posted 05 December 2010 - 23:11

Thanks for the zeroing the gunsight tutorial as it confirms at a glance i have been doing it as you described in the gunnery advice thread and it did help improve my gameplay.

Synner S!

#109 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:59

Thank you very much Requiem! I have a question though.

I noticed before you hit SHIFT+T to nestle to the gunsight, you did not have a crosshair floating around on the screen. When I man the gunner positions in the bomber and hit T to grab the guns, I see a yellow circle telling me where my bullets are going to go. I don't want it there, but I can't seem to find out how to get rid of it.

How did you get rid of it?

The reason you don't see the icon is because it is a recorded track. I record all of my actions in-game using the track recorder first, run a narrative in my head as I go, and then I use Virtualdub to film the recorded track later. After that I put the recorded video into my editor, add the narrative and text, and voila.

#110 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 10 December 2010 - 21:38

Added:

Bombing #3 - Level Bombing in the Handley Page 0-400

#111 Bilbo_Baggins

Bilbo_Baggins

Posted 11 December 2010 - 20:17

Thanks dude. These videos are the best training aid I've come across. I hope the 777 medal in your signature represents a real reward from the creators. You deserve it.

I have a noob request: As a noob, I haven't played around with all the planes and mostly just fly a Spad 13 against Fokker 7's in the quick mission. Could you make a Spad vs. Fokker strategy for the noobs?

#112 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 11 December 2010 - 23:34

Thanks Rumple :) That medal is awarded to those who have helped out the community in a positive way, there are a few of us now that have it and you have to add it manually to the signature, but it is a medal that you can see on the RoF hangar screen so its pretty neat :)
Spad vs Fokker you should use boom n zoom tactics, I've got a few tracks that are good examples of BnZ but I haven't converted them into a video.

BnZ is basically diving on someone, taking a couple of shots, then using the energy gained in your dive to climb back up again. Rinse and repeat the process till the target is dead. You don't turnfight, its just dive, shoot, climb, repeat. Sounds easy, but is quite difficult initially.

Rest assured though, there will be BnZ videos before I get back to school Jan 18th. I've got a lot of plans to get completed before I go back.

#113 Millst0ne

Millst0ne

Posted 12 December 2010 - 00:58

Goodie!

#114 Rivet

Rivet

Posted 14 December 2010 - 14:44

What a fantastic resource! RL pilots or not, I think everyone can learn from these tutorials, and for those of us who are not qualified pilots in the real world, this is especially invaluable. Your videos are so well thought out and presented. I've just subscribed to your channel. Excellent work. I can see I have plenty to learn and practice :D

#115 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 23 December 2010 - 19:03

Added Engine Management 2 - Flamed Engines

#116 Jellybeantiger

Jellybeantiger

Posted 24 December 2010 - 14:07

You are too good.

I'll avoid servers you are on because I suck.

Can't finish Training mission 5 after numerous attempts.

Onething I notice in your vids,you see things I can't .

I'm squinting to see the targets due to having Keratoconus.

#117 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 24 December 2010 - 14:37

You are too good.

I'll avoid servers you are on because I suck.

Can't finish Training mission 5 after numerous attempts.

Onething I notice in your vids,you see things I can't .

I'm squinting to see the targets due to having Keratoconus.

There is no need to denigrate yourself like that JBTiger, everyone sucks at this game when they first try it, and anyone who says otherwise is a liar :) The game has a steep learning curve so if you stick with it, practice, and keep to principles that help you stay alive then that is when everything clicks and you start shooting people down.

A lot of people have trouble with that Training #5, I completed it by climbing in the opposite direction to the waypoint, and then going towards it still climbing. By the time I reached the waypoint I was well above the opponents and boom n zoomed them to death.

If you just started out I always say to spend about 30mins to 1 hour just flying a plane of your choice to get a feel for how it flies. Just stick with singleplayer for a week or two and see how you go, after that I would recommend you stop by the Syndicate MP server and their ventrilo to say hello. They are a helpful lot and will be more than happy to help you with your multiplayer experience :)

#118 J2_Wallenberg

J2_Wallenberg

Posted 24 December 2010 - 14:44

As always a pleasure and useful to an unbearable extent! Good work, Requiem!

#119 SYN_MrWolf

SYN_MrWolf

Posted 24 December 2010 - 15:19

When can we preorder the dvd Req?

#120 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 10 January 2011 - 14:26

When can we preorder the dvd Req?

Funny man Wolf :P

Released 2 new vids today:
Aspects
Drag n Bag

Aspects fits in with Drag n Bag so try and watch that first if you can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users