* * * * * 2 votes

Requiem's Tutorials,TIR Profiles: 5 March 2019

• Please log in to reply
330 replies to this topic

#41 O_Smiladon

O_Smiladon

Posted 03 August 2010 - 00:19

S!Requiem,

A little off topic but just want to say I love your camel skin.. I fly with it all the time i am in a camel.. Hope you dont mind.

O_Smiladon

#42 vonu

vonu

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:10

Just want to add my thanks for this wonderful resource, Requiem. You deserve a meddle!

#43 vonu

vonu

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:12

Well, that's not what I meant :oops: You deserve a medal!

#44 catchov

catchov
  • LocationQld, Australia

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:32

:lol:

#45 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 05 August 2010 - 22:47

S!Requiem,

A little off topic but just want to say I love your camel skin.. I fly with it all the time i am in a camel.. Hope you dont mind.

O_Smiladon

I don't mind at all mate, I take it as a compliment that other people think my skin looks good enough to use themselves! I spent quite some time getting the weathering right to the point where I was happy with how it looked on her :)
Once I find some time I need to get around doing an =IRFC= Camel and SE5 skin for myself..

New videos are released today also, please check the original post for the update.

#46 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 05 August 2010 - 23:25

It seems I was almost there with the DXII, but obviously still carrying far too much speed.

Just jumped on SP and QMB in a DXII to have another try landing, and using the 700 RPM on approach and then to idle I actually managed a landing without an explosion or a nose over. I could even have taken off again in the same plane, something that I have never been able to do in the Pf.DXII before.

You, sir, are a gentleman, a scholar and an acrobat.

Cheers Req.

#47 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 06 August 2010 - 00:01

Req is the daddy! Good play old chap! These deserve to be in the archives.

There you go…Sticky as old bean!

#48 slyfutret

slyfutret

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:27

Yay! At last I can (sort of) fly the Camel !

Anyone struggling with the horrendous Camel spins should take a look at Requiem's vid on the subject of Camel spin recovery. I've been practicing the recovery routines as directed and can now recover well before I go ploughing into the soil (which I find is always helpful :lol: ).

Funny thing is, now I feel confident in recovering from spins in the Camel, in the resulting practice flights I've not been having any unintentional spins which is incredible for me! I guess I must be flying with more confidence that I'm not a second away from disaster now and that's improving my overall flying. Ironic really.

Thanks again Requiem, you're a star (even if you did shoot me down several times a few days ago, heck, I'll just take that as an honour….I've been "Requiemed", maybe I'll get a spot in a vid :lol: )

With any luck a few more of these vids will make a half way decent pilot out of me.

Cheers,
slyfutret

#49 Cobber55

Cobber55

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:18

Thanks kindly for the Camel spin recovery tutorial, just what I need.

#50 Parazaine

Parazaine

Posted 09 August 2010 - 17:21

I have one or two more requests for videos (have to keep you busy lol)

Can you demonstrate the Barrel Roll please…it's one of those classic, basic maneuvers but i just cant quite get my head around it?

Also, i'm sure it would be useful to all pilots to explain engagements between low wing-loaded, slower aircraft and their higher wing-loaded opponents both ways around.

I.E. tactics for slow, higher turn rate aircraft against faster energy fighters and vice versa.

We all learn how to do some of these by instinct and experience but a detailed explanation of using an aircraft's advantages against an opponent may go some of the way to dispelling the 'clown wagon' myth we are all so used to hearing espoused.

Last, but not least, wingmen tactics including different flight formations and their uses and general flight tactics for lead aircraft and their wingmen would be highly useful for those of us who are new to flying with a wingman.

I realise that's a lot of work for you requiem but your videos and tutorials are extremely useful…I wish they were around when I started flying S!

#51 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 09 August 2010 - 22:42

No worries Para, the Barrel Roll will be ready for this week with the other releases. Trying to dispell "clown wagon" myths would be like trying to put out a fire using petrol; I try and keep the vids below 3mins length but I'll see what I can come up with for how to fight based upon your aircraft and your target.

I've got a little rough draft stuff on situational awareness also, so that will probably come first.
Cheers for the ideas though, you'll probably see those soon enough. Once I can knock out the famils and landings then it will be easier for the more interesting stuff.

#52 veltjens

veltjens

Posted 10 August 2010 - 14:48

These are excellent and very helpful!

THANKS!!!

S!

#53 arjisme

arjisme

Posted 10 August 2010 - 15:55

Hey Requiem, thanks for the videos! They are a great addition and quite helpful. I have a request: how about a spin recovery video for the E.III?

#54 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 10 August 2010 - 16:29

Funny you mention that Arjisme, I'm finishing that exact video as I type this post..

#55 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 10 August 2010 - 19:04

New update, 10 August.

#56 Riemann73

Riemann73

Posted 11 August 2010 - 19:50

Really a great job. Actually loving the N.11 tutorial.

Thanks !

#57 Laser

Laser

Posted 11 August 2010 - 20:34

Great stuff, Thanks again Requiem !!!

#58 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 12 August 2010 - 18:03

Very nice additions to your tutorials for August. Will you ever do plane vs plane tactical videos? I would love to see an iron clad way to deal with the DR1 with a Camel. I hear about the right hand turn advantage for the Camel, when the Camel takes very low fuel, but this is a poor solution, for the long term. I suppose it is just not a good idea to df the ultimate df machine at all! When the devs slow the DR1 down a good old fashioned ambush and extension maneuver, in the event of a failure, should work like a charm. So long as a DR1 can chase a Camel down, it is uber scary to tackle the buggers!

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#59 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 12 August 2010 - 18:47

I've thought about how I could do such a thing Newguy, but I am hesitant to put something so specific out there since there is nothing "iron clad" about air combat. You can't really take a formula and apply it so it works in every situation.. You need to have a basis of knowledge for a lot of different things for air combat, and knowing when to apply certain principles while ignoring others is what may help you come out on top.
Air combat is so fluid that if I made a video for Camel vs Dr1 there would be so many different scenarios that can occur before and during the fight I would be doing nothing but Camel vs Dr1 lol
I could do videos on "Boom n Zoom" and "Turn n Burn" for general principles but that's about as far as I want to go, I don't want to spoonfeed people information for every possible scenario.

All I am trying to do is provide people with the tools and a bit of knowledge that allows them to experience the maneuvers/tactics themselves which hopefully helps produce their own situational awareness.
Consider if you taught someone how to drive a car, you have now given them the basic skills of driving. They can now drive pretty much any car but only through practice and experience do they learn the nuances of driving different cars in different situations.

A few iron-clad tips though for use in any situation no matter the aircraft:
Attacks are best made unseen,
Shoot better than the other guy,
& fly with a wingman

#60 Parazaine

Parazaine

Posted 12 August 2010 - 18:58

Very nice additions to your tutorials for August. Will you ever do plane vs plane tactical videos? I would love to see an iron clad way to deal with the DR1 with a Camel. I hear about the right hand turn advantage for the Camel, when the Camel takes very low fuel, but this is a poor solution, for the long term. I suppose it is just not a good idea to df the ultimate df machine at all! When the devs slow the DR1 down a good old fashioned ambush and extension maneuver, in the event of a failure, should work like a charm. So long as a DR1 can chase a Camel down, it is uber scary to tackle the buggers!

Sorry to hijack this thread but A DR1 SHOULD be able to chase a Camel….they both had very similar top speeds in RL.

BOTH are too fast at the moment and to change one without changing the other would be criminal imo

p.s. Thanks for the barrel roll vid. Requiem (not to mention all the rest S!)

#61 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 13 August 2010 - 20:46

A question on the flat scissors video. Shouldn't that be referred to as a nose to tail turn? As far as I'm aware flat scissors refers to nose to nose turns and overshoots.

#62 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 13 August 2010 - 23:31

I thought it was still scissoring after the initial merge but I can try and do a "textbook" flat scissors if you want. Some of these maneuvers are hard to get right in these aircraft simply because of their really tight turning radius and low relative speed differences.

#63 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 13 August 2010 - 23:48

With the head on merge component and the turn onto the tail I thought it was more a nose to tail turn. The naming threw me a bit at first. I can't imagine how difficult it is to set these up. The classic flat and rolling scissors would make for useful tutorials, too.

#64 Jonathan

Jonathan

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:06

Nice videos Requiem! Helped me out a lot!

I see you are using my Guynemer Spad XIII skin in the Immelman turn video :P. Glad you like it!

-Jonathan-

#65 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:18

Nice videos Requiem! Helped me out a lot!

I see you are using my Guynemer Spad XIII skin in the Immelman turn video :P. Glad you like it!

-Jonathan-

Yeah it's one of my favourite Spad skins, great job on it :)

Update tonight for 15 August.

#66 Parazaine

Parazaine

Posted 16 August 2010 - 16:06

Just watched the vid. about the barrel roll attack….you make it look easy.

I will be attempting this in the near future. I assume it is essential to watch your target to get the timing of dropping on his 6 right….may take some practice lol.

#67 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 17 August 2010 - 13:01

Yeah Para you need to keep sight of the bandit to know when to come around on the enemy six o'clock, but if you predict where hes going to be then you can guess when to come around. The reason you should maintain sight of him is in case he performs a turn reversal, if he does this then you can follow him but if you lose sight when he reverses you will roll out in bad position.

Funny seeing that thread on ramming, hope people check out the head on passes vid.. maybe they can try head ons that way to avoid the collisions lol

#68 SYN_Speck

SYN_Speck

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:32

Thanks for taking the time to make these, Req. They're very well made and I'm sure it took you a lot of hours. Very helpful.

~S~

#69 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 18 August 2010 - 18:10

I'm landing the N11, N17 and DXII more often than crashing them now thanks to Req's videos.

Not managed to replicate the barrel roll attack yet though, but I'm still trying.

#70 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 18 August 2010 - 19:20

I am still going throught he videos. I consder these videos just outstanding. I have a topic and I don't know how difficult it is to document; I imagine it is not easy though. Can you make videos demonstrating methods of anticipating and avoiding a collision? Great videos Requiem. S!

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#71 SYN_MrWolf

SYN_MrWolf

Posted 18 August 2010 - 19:34

Simply fantastic requiem..I think rof should award you with a special medal :)

#72 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:12

I'm landing the N11, N17 and DXII more often than crashing them now thanks to Req's videos.

Not managed to replicate the barrel roll attack yet though, but I'm still trying.

The barrel roll attack is a pretty difficult maneuver to pull off but it is a great one to be able to perform. It is really situational so you can't use it all the time but the times you can it is the perfect maneuver to use.

I am still going throught he videos. I consder these videos just outstanding. I have a topic and I don't know how difficult it is to document; I imagine it is not easy though. Can you make videos demonstrating methods of anticipating and avoiding a collision? Great videos Requiem. S!

If you see someone with their nose pointed straight at you then a collision is inevitable unless one of you takes evasive action. I have a few videos that illustrate ways to approach head on passes so far :)

There will be some more for release in the next few days, including a funny one I did today that shows off something funky with an aircraft flight model.

#73 coldque

coldque

Posted 19 August 2010 - 19:49

Requiem, your videos have brought another dimension of enjoyment to this simulator. Witnessing someone land the camel and Nu 17 without looping and explaning it is inspiring enough, the rest is just icing on the cake.

Although a video demonstration some areial gunnery techniquies would be very beneficial. Righitfully so, this flight sim is the most challenging sim I have ever played in the area of areial gunnery.

#74 O_Rod

O_Rod
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:17

Requiem,
would yu consider bundling your video's onto DVD and selling copies?
I for one am interested in having a full set of "how to's".
Cheers
Rod

Vitae elit Brevior

#75 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 20 August 2010 - 20:34

Glad you guys are liking these and that they are a help to you :)
As for selling them on a DVD, I doubt that is possible.

I've just finished a few more that are released today.
I go back to being a student Monday so there will be probably 1 or maybe 2 videos released a week time from here on until the semester ends. There is a decent collection I managed to get done in the last few weeks so that is a good starting point I think.

#76 Leaf85

Leaf85

Posted 21 August 2010 - 15:58

Coming back to play RoF and was directed by a friend to view these– extremely helpful to me, and they are very well done! Thank you

#77 hq_Chimpy

hq_Chimpy

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:50

I just wanted to post up and say thanks for these videos, as a total newbie i really cant explain how much they have helped me…

really inspiring stuff.. thankyou!

#78 Roadhouse

Roadhouse

Posted 27 August 2010 - 21:19

also wanted to thank you for these videos, made me 10000% better at the game.

didnt no anything about flying before i tried the game, even the purpose of wings was alien to me but the ingame tutorial solved that =P

#79 Russkly

Russkly

Posted 30 August 2010 - 20:44

Thoroughly excellent, Requiem.

Thx.

R

PS If you see "Russkly" on any of the servers, please leave me alone - there is no point expending your ammunition on me!

#80 =MFC=Gunloon

=MFC=Gunloon

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:43

Thank goodness…someone to distract them from shooting at me!

psst…hey kiddies, I hear this "Russkly" is yummy and has a chewy center :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users