Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Requiem's Tutorials,TIR Profiles: 5 March 2019

• Please log in to reply
330 replies to this topic

#1 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 30 July 2010 - 20:05

(Currently I am not making new Rise of Flight videos, but I am working on new videos using the IL-2 engine which can be found here:www.youtube.com/requiembos). These include the new aircraft in Flying Circus.

Latest Video Release 5  Mar 2019

Track IR Profiles
"Requiem Jun 2014" My latest TrackIR profile which supersedes the Requiem6DOF one. Use a speed of 1 and smoothness of 30.
Attached File  Requiem Jun 2014.zip   1.06KB   850 downloads

New Download link here: https://www.dropbox....n 2014.zip?dl=0

"Requiem6DOF.rar" My older TrackIR 5 profile. Use a speed of 2 and smoothness of 30 with this profile.
Attached File  Requiem 6DOF.rar   954bytes   3463 downloads

Extract either profile to C:/…/Naturalpoint/TrackIR/Profiles to try them out.

Attached Files

#2 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 30 July 2010 - 20:31

Priceless! :D :D :D

#3 Laser

Laser

Posted 30 July 2010 - 21:45

Requiem, very nice of you to make those movies! RoF really needs these kind of initiatives!

TY

Gabi/Laser

#4 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 30 July 2010 - 22:40

That's fantastic Requiem! Do you mind if I link to your movies from the RoF Wiki?

#5 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 31 July 2010 - 00:13

Just totally invaluable. Thank you so much!
I've certainly subscribed to your channel. (videoblanket)

#6 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:50

Nice work. And not just useful for beginners.

#7 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:07

Very very cool. I've subscribed to your video feed.

#8 MoMorgan

MoMorgan

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:55

Requiem, very nice work! Enjoyed watching the clips I saw and know they will be valuable to noobs and those who can use some tactical pointers.

Request you do some basic cockpit 101 stuff: engine start procedures for several aircraft types, and engine mixture segments. The radiator cooling clip was good; the more likely situation would be engine overheating due to radiator left closed.

#9 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:59

Excellent, Req!

You showed me that sight picture for the SE some time ago and I've used it ever since!

S!

HT

#10 =FB=Chapay

=FB=Chapay

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:03

S! all

Enjoy.

Youtube channel here - http://www.youtube.c...ser/Requiem10NS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.c...ser/Requiem10NS

I think these is one of the best source for new ROF - pilot :ugeek:
Thank You!

#11 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:12

Brilliant Req. Sorely needed and very useful!

#12 Cobber55

Cobber55

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:41

Thanks very much indeed Requiem. This is just what I need. Please keep 'em coming. Have you done anything on basic engine management?

#13 WillyVonWonka

WillyVonWonka

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:06

Thanks for the hard work, these are quite excellent! I subscribed under the name Sopwith66 and I can't wait for more informative videos from you. Thank you… :D

#14 Parazaine

Parazaine

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:42

Excellent vids. Requiem…to the point and very informative.

I basically taught myself to fly, then i read up a bit about ACM's including the high and low yo-yo which I would like to see you cover at some point.

I think there are probably a lot of pilots out there (including experienced ones) who like myself have only a rudimentary knowledge of Air Combat Maneuvers and these tutorials are a gold mine for them and the community in general.

One minor constructive criticism….can you explain the uses for the Cuban 8? Is it just used to shake opponents? I find it difficult to see what practical value it has as you basically retain your speed, heading and altitude after doing some acrobatics?

Also, you perform most of these vids in the SE5a..one of the most powerful planes in the game….the cuban 8 for example, I would be surprised if some of the other aircraft in the game could perform this maneuver.

#15 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 31 July 2010 - 13:18

I basically taught myself to fly, then i read up a bit about ACM's including the high and low yo-yo which I would like to see you cover at some point.

I think there are probably a lot of pilots out there (including experienced ones) who like myself have only a rudimentary knowledge of Air Combat Maneuvers and these tutorials are a gold mine for them and the community in general.

One minor constructive criticism….can you explain the uses for the Cuban 8? Is it just used to shake opponents? I find it difficult to see what practical value it has as you basically retain your speed, heading and altitude after doing some acrobatics?

Also, you perform most of these vids in the SE5a..one of the most powerful planes in the game….the cuban 8 for example, I would be surprised if some of the other aircraft in the game could perform this maneuver.

For illustrating the concepts I just wanted to use the best aircraft for the maneuver. For instance, I'll have a video on Chandelles soon, but I'm not using the Nieuport 11 for it. I can't be expected to do every maneuver in every aircraft (not at this point anyway lol :))

I included the Cuban Eight since I referred to using it in the ground strafing video. In ground strafing after you make your dive and pass you have an increased energy state (speed) which you can then use to perform a "half cuban eight" which is essentially the first half only.
Ie - The 2/3 of a loop, inverted roll out, and then your bang on target for the next pass. You can either do the half cuban eight or a wingover, I just included it for some variety in setting up ground attacks.

The Cuban eight is more about having maximum control of your aircraft and knowing how far you can push it while keeping it stable. If an aircraft can perform a loop correctly, then by rights it can perform a Cuban Eight.

I will be using a variety of aircraft (like Central aircraft in a BnZ defense situation), but I just wanted an aircraft that provided good visibility and speed for the maneuvers. This is so viewers can see what should be happening and then extrapolate it to their aircraft of choice.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, its really important :)

#16 Parazaine

Parazaine

Posted 31 July 2010 - 14:50

For illustrating the concepts I just wanted to use the best aircraft for the maneuver. For instance, I'll have a video on Chandelles soon, but I'm not using the Nieuport 11 for it. I can't be expected to do every maneuver in every aircraft (not at this point anyway lol :))

I included the Cuban Eight since I referred to using it in the ground strafing video. In ground strafing after you make your dive and pass you have an increased energy state (speed) which you can then use to perform a "half cuban eight" which is essentially the first half only.
Ie - The 2/3 of a loop, inverted roll out, and then your bang on target for the next pass. You can either do the half cuban eight or a wingover, I just included it for some variety in setting up ground attacks.

The Cuban eight is more about having maximum control of your aircraft and knowing how far you can push it while keeping it stable. If an aircraft can perform a loop correctly, then by rights it can perform a Cuban Eight.

I will be using a variety of aircraft (like Central aircraft in a BnZ defense situation), but I just wanted an aircraft that provided good visibility and speed for the maneuvers. This is so viewers can see what should be happening and then extrapolate it to their aircraft of choice.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, its really important :)

Ok, fair enough. Perhaps people could add their own wish lists for maneuvers/explanations of things they are uncertain about….it would at least provide you with some useful feedback on what the community is lacking in the way of tutorials etc?

#17 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 31 July 2010 - 15:13

Ok, fair enough. Perhaps people could add their own wish lists for maneuvers/explanations of things they are uncertain about….it would at least provide you with some useful feedback on what the community is lacking in the way of tutorials etc?

Absolutely right Para, I don't want to make videos on things people may feel are irrelevant. Anyone is encouraged to express what they would like to see created. The videos released were a test of the length/formatting/language and its been positive so I'm sticking with that theme for the future. I've received a couple of requests in this thread thus far so I begin work on those next week.

#18 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 31 July 2010 - 18:19

Just as an aside, when I first was learning to fly combat sims in Dawn of Aces, one of my more experienced squaddies suggested that every time I take up a new plane I should fly it off line over my air field doing nothing but Cuban Eights for about 10 minutes.

He said by the time I was done, I would have a very good feel for the "edge of the envelope" in the plane.

He was right and I still do it with new planes. Even sometimes with old planes I haven't flown for awhile.

(Of course, when I learned to fly for real, no instructor ever suggested that :lol: )

Excellent project, Req.

S!

HT

#19 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 31 July 2010 - 20:10

Are you planning on doing a "landing" tutorial for all the planes?

I cannot for the life of me manage to get a Pf.DXII down in one piece. Come close a few times.

I'm either ripping a lower wing of, going into a lateral tumble then exploding (I assume that's too slow an approach and stalling at the critical point), or I find I nose over almost immediately the wheels hit then explode.

Closest I have made it is to drop the DXII down like it was an N17 (wheels only, tail still up) and then power off the engine, but then I find I bounce around a bit and then nose-over, though it tends not to explode this way.

#20 Wiley

Wiley

Posted 31 July 2010 - 20:33

Good job on these! Excellent training videos for new flyers…

Question: Of what practical (combat) use is a Cuban eight maneuver, other than in an airshow? I guess if you want to kill some time and sort of hold your location in space for some reason, it does return you to your starting location at your original speed and direction. Is that the point?

#21 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 31 July 2010 - 20:52

Great videos! Very valuable to the community, and I dread to admit, to me as well.

#22 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 31 July 2010 - 20:55

How on earth do you perform the Cuban 8 with the SE5a? I pull back on the stick and no sooner has the nose come up than it's rolling over.

#23 dro_hydro

dro_hydro

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:15

Quality work we need to make sure everyone new to the game has a look at this. This is no small task thanks for taking the time man, hope to see more.

#24 paul2300

paul2300

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:40

Great videos!

They have helped me a lot and I will watch them over again.

I too have a problem with pulling a cuban 8 as I roll over as soon as I pull up on the stick.

#25 Kudlius

Kudlius

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:40

Attack on twister from above.

Attached Files

#26 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:39

If you're rolling over when you pull back, counter it with a little bit of rudder, aileron, or both that is opposite to your roll. Example - Rolling left, use right rudder or right aileron to counter the left roll.

#27 Parazaine

Parazaine

Posted 01 August 2010 - 13:09

Also make sure your engine is set up right…i.e max out rpm's by adjusting the mixture and make sure the engine temp. is in the right range…not sure the exact range of temp. for the SE5.

If your engine power is maxed by doing the above, you should be able to counter any rolling.

You can also shallow dive for a short time to increase your airspeed before initiating the first loop (be careful of overrevving the engine though)

#28 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:15

I was just giving it too much back stick. It wants to be nursed over the top.

The snap roll helped a bit with fighting the D.II. Every time I manouevered for a pass the D.II would have come around, nose pointed at me. With a faster roll it became much easier to achieve a more favourable position.

With the TnB aircraft you have the advantage - almost a crutch, even against the AI - of always being able to recover a situation with a well executed turn. With the BnZ planes ACM becomes much more important. Your situational awareness is vital, not just blindly knowing where your opponent is, but working out what he's going to do, and what you need to do to achieve an advantage.

A couple of tutorials I'd like to see are one on the initial head on merge, and also one on SA.

#29 Wiley

Wiley

Posted 02 August 2010 - 00:05

Question: Of what practical (combat) use is a Cuban eight maneuver, other than in an airshow? I guess if you want to kill some time and sort of hold your location in space for some reason, it does return you to your starting location at your original speed and direction. Is that the point?

Any thoughts on this matter, or was it a dumb question?

#30 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 02 August 2010 - 00:22

Any thoughts on this matter, or was it a dumb question?

I posted the reason for inclusion and purpose of the Cuban Eight at post #15 :)
Btw, the only stupid question is asking "Can I ask a question?"

#31 Wiley

Wiley

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:09

Okay. Thanks for responding. I'd seen that; I do understand the utility of a half-Cuban eight…though I prefer a simple wingover after pulling out of a high speed/energy strafing run, if I want to turn back for another Go.

As someone mentioned, he found himself "hanging" in the air at the top of the loop…I've always considered loops as placing oneself in a very vulnerable position…

So…it's the matter of what Combat use is a "full" Cuban 8 of which I am curious…?

A rhetorical question, at this point, I suppose. So I'll just drop the query.

S!

#32 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:30

So…it's the matter of what Combat use is a "full" Cuban 8 of which I am curious…?

S!

That is actually a very important question and worth exploring. The real value in practicing combat maneuvres is the ability to handle your aircraft and learn exactly what it can and can't do. Combat never goes according to plan and simply learning to repeat a set of maneuvres will not win you a fight, but the flying skills and awareness you learn from repeatedly practicing them probably will.
Sirocco has already posted that he has learned that widening a loop will prevent him from rolling out and that is the true value of these videos. There will come a time when a quick split 'S' really does get you out of trouble and then you will have earned the right to feel really smug :D .
Practice is the key.
Cheers.

#33 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:11

Combat manuvuers and their names are really a guide to learning. If you have practiced a cuban eight and know what it is its easier to give it a handle.

Certain manuveurs are helpful in certain situations but it should never be a case of paper, scissors stone.

Aircombat is fluid, and even in these slow planes you shouldnt be thinking about countering in text book manuvuers. Reqs videos are excellent because they introduce the basics in an easy to understand way that you can practice yourself. This will give you confidence and allow you to see who they can fit into a melee.

I do think that the hardest skill to learn and the most important is situational awareness. If you can kill your opponent without him going defensive youve done your job. Dogfights are on the whole to be advoided, unless you possess a strong advantage. On the flip side, making sure your not bounced is equally important.

#34 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:46

Okay. Thanks for responding. I'd seen that; I do understand the utility of a half-Cuban eight…though I prefer a simple wingover after pulling out of a high speed/energy strafing run, if I want to turn back for another Go.

As someone mentioned, he found himself "hanging" in the air at the top of the loop…I've always considered loops as placing oneself in a very vulnerable position…

S!

I wouldn't say there is an exact situation in a dogfight where a Cuban Eight is called for..however, you could still use an entire Cuban Eight in ground strafing a stationary target. Just because I did half a Cuban Eight after the first pass then a wingover on the second doesnt mean I couldnt do two "half cuban-eights" back to back to make a full one ;-) It is simply a maneuver that lets you know just how in control of your aircraft you really are, rather than just thinking you are.
I hope that helps illustrate the point Squid made; air combat is very fluid and there is no formula of strictly executed maneuvers to win you a dogfight once you get into one. For example, just because loops are supposed to be a perfect circle doesn't mean there aren't uses for elongated loops, there are always times where you must recognise that the situation calls for the maneuvers to be modified to fit.
This is where the combination of situational awareness, energy management, and aircraft proficiency come into their own in air combat. If you can grasp those three things then you are doing well.

#35 catchov

catchov

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:23

Nice work Requiem and great for the community :) I see Vanderstok has slipped them into RoFWiki already.

#36 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 02 August 2010 - 15:28

I have a question. Looking at the SE5a videos you seem to have your sighting lined up on the centre line, which I assume is for the Lewis. Ever since I watched Reflected's boom and zoom tutorial I've lined up offset to the left for the ring and bead sight of the Vickers. What are your thoughts on that?

#37 -Requiem-

-Requiem-

Posted 02 August 2010 - 16:17

I have a question. Looking at the SE5a videos you seem to have your sighting lined up on the centre line, which I assume is for the Lewis. Ever since I watched Reflected's boom and zoom tutorial I've lined up offset to the left for the ring and bead sight of the Vickers. What are your thoughts on that?

It is a personal preference thing. It comes down to what you want to do with your Track IR, or rather if you even have it. I never used TrackIR and in fact never heard of it before I played RoF and so I learned how to align my view centered on a gunsight. I've had TrackIR for a few months now and some days I feel like having more immersion so I turn all axes on, in which case I will either line up manually or have a view that pans to the vickers sight. However, I did try using the vickers sight lined up permanently and I didnt like it for flying.

I personally like using the ring and bead (?) sight because that way I'm always centered and therefore don't need to shift in my seat/use a snap view to align a shot, especially snap shots. To me it just feels strange flying offset to the left in these fighter aircraft. Reflected is a good marksman in his SE5 so obviously his setup works for him, so find out what works for you and practice :) There is no right or wrong provided what you are doing works for you.

I've got a gunsight/views video which is aimed towards non-TrackIR users on the backburner in order to show processes involved in obtaining different sight pictures and how to cover all the angles around your aircraft. That might be a little later than the next set though.

#38 Wiley

Wiley

Posted 02 August 2010 - 16:32

Thanks for the varying inputs on the Cuban Eight question. Interesting discussion.

#39 slyfutret

slyfutret

Posted 02 August 2010 - 16:58

Thanks sooo much for these tutorial vids Requiem, you've put put a load of effort into them and, speaking as a newbie, they're absolutely priceless learning material, exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for as a learning aid and really helpful.

It is really appreciated when the Aces such as yourself - and the various other "old hands" out there (you know who you all are) - take time to pass on your skills and help out us newbs so thanks a lot. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for any future vids.

Cheers !
slyfutret

#40 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 02 August 2010 - 22:31

Thank you so much Requiem. I have a year in, bt I still need plenty of tips and lessons. I know that you are an outstanding Camel pilot and I am still learning the Camel. Could you post a video on how to defeat the DR 1 in multi player. I can do very well against all te other machines but it would be awesome to see tactics to use specifically against this tri plane terror. Thanks again for the videos!
S!
MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users