- - - - -

Left Hand Joystick?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 VonFear

VonFear

Posted 28 July 2010 - 19:44

Hello,

I just got RoF yesterday but the joystick I am using just makes aiming at anything impossible. But thats what I get for getting a £20 joystick.

Only thing is I am left handed so not many options? Also do you really need rudder pedals to fly well? Don't want to spend much money right now.

Many thanks

Ritter von Fear
Formally Jasta 18 RB3D

#2 O_Rod

O_Rod
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 July 2010 - 20:13

VonFear,
Look at the Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick, it's interchangable for left or right handed people, and you don't need pedals but if you have them the feel is more realistic.
Cheers
Rod

Vitae elit Brevior

#3 VonFear

VonFear

Posted 28 July 2010 - 20:17

VonFear,
Look at the Saitek Cyborg Evo Joystick, it's interchangable for left or right handed people, and you don't need pedals but if you have them the feel is more realistic.
Cheers
Rod

Many thanks will have a look.

#4 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 28 July 2010 - 20:46

My Logitech Attack3 joystick is abidextrious. It is basic and I've never really flown with an expensive joystick so I can't compare it to say whether it's good or bad. I think it does fine unless you're a "Joystick Prima Dona." :lol:

#5 NakedSquirrel

NakedSquirrel
  • Tester

Posted 28 July 2010 - 21:01

Saitek is pretty good for interchangeable joysticks Evo is a good choice. There is also the ST90, but there are not as many buttons. My only problem with Saitek is that their springs are too strong, but I've always just taken the spring out of my sticks.

#6 sturmkraehe

sturmkraehe

Posted 28 July 2010 - 22:21

I am left handed too, but prefer to fly with my right hand. Did you ever try that?

#7 VonFear

VonFear

Posted 29 July 2010 - 14:20

I am left handed too, but prefer to fly with my right hand. Did you ever try that?

I am right handed but just use left for joystick for some reason. I need a new joystick full stop as the one I have is all over the place.

#8 Der_Sevtl

Der_Sevtl

Posted 29 July 2010 - 14:52

I have the Thrustmaster T.16000M.
It actually is a stick for right handed people, but there are parts for left handed persons included, so you can rebuild it into a left hand stick.

#9 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 29 July 2010 - 15:50

I have the Thrustmaster T.16000M.
It actually is a stick for right handed people, but there are parts for left handed persons included, so you can rebuild it into a left hand stick.

I'll second that recommendation.
The Thrustmaster is a good, relatively inexpensive joystick (but to round out your controls you might want to consider the Saitek Quadrant to go with it).

#10 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 29 July 2010 - 16:07

I third that!

#11 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 29 July 2010 - 16:11

Us left handed people must revolt against this right handed world!!! :twisted:

#12 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 29 July 2010 - 16:13

You can't. You're too clumsy :)

#13 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 29 July 2010 - 17:53

The absolute best left-handed stick made is the CH Flightstick Pro: http://www.chproduct...flight_pro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.chproduct...flight_pro.html

The ONLY fallacy to this stick is the necessity for the use of rudder pedals. That's a small fallacy IMO, because I feel strongly flight sims should be flown with them anyway, all costs aside. Certainly some people can't afford a stick, pedals and throttle all at once, but I've said so many times over the years, to take into consideration the lifespan of the CH gear and you can justifiably amortize the cost over several pc's or several years whichever comes first.

I am almost as left handed as a one armed man with only his left to use. I used a Flightstick Pro, CH Pro pedals and CH Pro throttle ( with the throttle turned upside down with the axis reversed in its profiling software which allowed for the switches normally manipulated with one's thumb to be manipulated by my right forefinger) for a long time. I used this setup for a couple years until I had a Lefty-HOTAS custom built (see here: http://www.ch-hangar...-The-leftyHOTAS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ch-hangar.../forum/showthre … leftyHOTAS )

I feel your pain and as a serious flight simmer of 15 years can sympathize with your plight. It aggravates me when people say so nonchalantly "Real aircraft have the stick on the right, so you should use it that way too…". To those people I say "kiss my A**". This is a game that people do for fun and having a nice setup specifically made for ME makes the fun factor exponentially higher.

pfft…get me started. :roll:

You can see my self-indulgent lefty setup in this thread: Lets see your Flight Sim desks.

#14 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 29 July 2010 - 17:55

Whats funny is watching a lefty use a pair of scissors :D sorry, gotta go.

I feel for you guys though, its something I take for granted but the world is built for right handed people.

#15 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 29 July 2010 - 18:00

Whats funny is watching a lefty use a pair of scissors :D sorry, gotta go.

Trouble maker. :roll:

…but the world is built for right handed people.

Preachin' to the choir dude. :cry:

#16 BlueRaven

BlueRaven

Posted 02 September 2010 - 19:33

I say learn to fly with a standard right hand set up. It's what real pilots do. All tandems and single seaters are set up right hand style.

On planes where you sit side by side. Depends on which side you are sitting on is what hands you are using.

I'm right handed but when I fly left seat I fly with my left hand and operate all other controls with my right hand. When I'm instructing from the right seat I fly with my right hand and operate all other controls with my left hand. Just takes some practice.

#17 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 02 September 2010 - 21:57

I say learn to fly with a standard right hand set up. It's what real pilots do. All tandems and single seaters are set up right hand style.

On planes where you sit side by side. Depends on which side you are sitting on is what hands you are using.

I'm right handed but when I fly left seat I fly with my left hand and operate all other controls with my right hand. When I'm instructing from the right seat I fly with my right hand and operate all other controls with my left hand. Just takes some practice.

If you're not left-handed and don't want to help the OP with his original question, stay out of it IMO. He wasn't asking for anything other than advice on a left-handed joystick to play this game.

Using the logic in the above post, I guess if you only have one arm, and it's your left, then you shouldn't be allowed to fly…either in real life or in this sim…right? BTW, I'm a "real" pilot and I'm left-handed. It's not the same. When I drive my Jag, I also shift with my right hand. But I fly pc flight sims with my left-handed joystick. Get it?

Do yourself and us all a favor and read the ENTIRE thread (specifically, post #13). No offense intended.

#18 catchov

catchov

Posted 03 September 2010 - 00:20

VonFear,
Cheers
Rod

Many thanks will have a look.

2nd that. And it has FFB so need to mess with RoF curves at all. That alone is a huge benefit over non-ffb sticks imo.

#19 Herbs107

Herbs107

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:22

SAITEK AVIATOR USB JOYSTICK - #PS33

System Requirements:

Windows XP, and XP 64bit
Windows Vista 32 and 64 bit
NOTE: The software in the package may or may not include the Vista drivers for the joystick, so you can download them at http://www.saitek.co...own/drivers.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.saitek.co...own/drivers.php
Specify "joysticks" option, then "AV8R" product, then your exact Windows version, then download the drivers. Other downloads are available at that page.

Box Contents:

Joystick with cable, detachable handrest, USB connector, CD and Quick Start Guide.

Description:

The classic PC joystick for your favorite flight sim games!

Rugged, military-styled base unit with front mounted instrument panel. Features include:
- 4 x 2-way toggle switches for a total of up to 8 programmable commands
- Mode selector to instantly switch control profiles to suit game mode, such as for take off and landing.

Heavy duty trigger, 8-way point-of-view switch and illuminated rocket launcher with spring-loaded safety cover.

Programmable dual throttle allows independant control of multiple engines, engine/flaps control combination, or can be easily locked together.

Features:

Ambidextrous
Rapid response trigger
8-way hat switch
Thumb button
Rocket launcher with cover
3D Rudder twist
Base-mounted toggle buttons
Mode selector
Dual throttle
Single spring gimbal mechanism

Attached Files

#20 BlueRaven

BlueRaven

Posted 03 September 2010 - 15:47

If you're not left-handed and don't want to help the OP with his original question, stay out of it IMO. He wasn't asking for anything other than advice on a left-handed joystick to play this game.

Using the logic in the above post, I guess if you only have one arm, and it's your left, then you shouldn't be allowed to fly…either in real life or in this sim…right? BTW, I'm a "real" pilot and I'm left-handed. It's not the same. When I drive my Jag, I also shift with my right hand. But I fly pc flight sims with my left-handed joystick. Get it?

Do yourself and us all a favor and read the ENTIRE thread (specifically, post #13). No offense intended.

Exactly why I usually avoid these forums and stay over on SIMHQ…

I DID read the entire thread… I was merely giving advice that it doesn't take that much practice to use the other hand and that real pilots have to be able to switch back and forth, which somehow you think is different… How is it different when I'm on the left seat and have the stick or yoke in my left hand and then switch to the right seat and have the stick/yoke in my right hand? One side of the plane is left handed and the other side is right handed…

You're ability to determine logic seems rather flawed. If you can't operate the controls then you can't fly the plane, end of story. There was a girl who had no arms that obtained her private pilot certificate. However it was in an Ercoupe. For everyone who doesn't know an Ercoupe has no rudder pedals. The rudders are linked into the yoke with the ailerons. On the ground you steer it like a car. I'm sure it doesn't work very well for crosswinds though… Anyway she could operate the yoke with one foot and the throttle and such with the other foot. She is limited to that airplane.

I don't appreciate your hostile attitude and by putting the disclaimer of "No offense intended." You knew that you were pushing it… I was here to give positive feedback while you were just here to flame and cause problems…

Get it, buddy?

#21 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 03 September 2010 - 22:33

Hey, if there was an air of hostility, I sincerely retract it. Actually, there WAS and I DO retract it.

First, let me welcome you to the forums. Really.

I've seen, read and participated in this same thread topic in no less than 4 forums (the sacred SimHQ included…I was registered there in 2003 ;) ), and there's always someone who posts the same rhetoric you've posted regarding simply "learning" to be someone you aren't. It's not too indifferent to me saying you should learn to eat with your left hand (if you're right handed), or that you should learn to throw with your left. My whole point is that this is not the USAF, we are not going to go into combat because of the time we spend in our sims. They are, for most people, an attempt to participate vicariously in an aspect of history that they happen to have interest in.

Yes, I'm a pilot, and I've flown my share of diverse aircraft (including a 1947 Ercoupe…lmao, what a fun little airplane), but if someone is severely left-handed, like me (I had my right arm severed when I was a teenager AFTER being awarded an academic scholarship and a Congressional appointment to the Air Force Academy) and is asking for suggestions for an ambidextrous or left handed joystick, telling them to learn NOT to be left handed is really not very helpful. That's all I'm saying.

Please accept my apology if I offended you. Can we be buddies?

#22 TinyBanzai

TinyBanzai

Posted 03 September 2010 - 22:51

I understand your situation being a lefty my self, which is why I recommend Saitek. They seem to be the only ones to realise that there are left handed people on this earth. The stick I use is old and maybe no longer sold but it is a Cyborg 3D gold. It's a very rugged and dependable stick you can trust. My first one lasted four + years of heavy abuse before I had to buy another Cyborg which is still going strong (albeit slightly squeaky as I move the stick around XD ).

I have tried to use my stick right handed and can fly reasonably well, but for a combat flight sim pilot, comfort is paramount to being successful. If you can ask your controls to do something rather than fight it all the time, things go a lot smoother. Biggest thing stopping me using my right hand is the need to control my pilot view with the mouse as I have no TrackIR (and honestly view that as an over expensive thing to have, but that's another thread) and I can't fly/fight and constantly juggle the mouse view as well.

Anyway, my opinion is the Cyborg 3D Gold USB (if you can still get it that is.)

#23 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:10

The best stick for a lefty for ROF (since force feedback is a huge advantage in ROF) is imo the Cyborg 3D Force. I recently bought a replacement since the old one had worn out over the past 7 years and it's great :)

#24 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:48

You can't. You're too clumsy :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#25 MrSpin

MrSpin

Posted 03 December 2010 - 23:44

I'm a lefty and quite used to my Cyborg 3D Gold until it recently broke down. After checking this forum, I decided to replace it with the Thrustmaster T.16000M. It was a snap to configure it for left-handed use and what a pleasure to use! Though I just started playing RoF, I'm enjoying it a great deal. One of these days I may even work up the nerve to fly online! Anyway, I just wanted to commend 777 on a great, GREAT game and to salute the excellent community that flies alongside. Good show!

#26 Gamedad-be

Gamedad-be

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:42

Hi, ;)

I just bought the game 3 days ago and already had lots of fun trying to stay up in "Quick Missions"… :D
I am also a lefty… I used a Saitek cyborg 3d gold usb stick in several other games but as I now have a new computer (the old one couldn't run RoF )that runs Windows7 I am into trouble…no drivers for my trusted Cyborg…
I am now borrowing my son's Cyborg Evo but I do need to buy a new Joystick for myself ( or find a way to make the old one work).

This thread has been very useful and I think I'll go for the Saitek aviator..perhaps in combination with a pair of pedals. My only problem is to find a shop in my neighbourhood… ( I live in Belgium)Ah well there's always the Web :)

#27 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:51

You could also have a look at the Thrustmaster T16000m ,I think the Grip can be set for right and lefthand use. It's a pretty good stick in this pricerange. It uses Hallsensors and has Twist for rudder controls.

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#28 Gamedad-be

Gamedad-be

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:55

Ok, thanks for the tip Pirato :S!:

#29 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 02 March 2013 - 15:55

I have T.16000M and it definetly has interchangable grip for left and righthanded, in addition to being a precise, pleasant to fly with joystick.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#30 Gamedad-be

Gamedad-be

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:33

Ok! Thanks! At least now I'm sure I can use that one Left-handed ;)

#31 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:06

I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous :P

Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#32 slyfutret

slyfutret

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:28

The best stick for a lefty for ROF (since force feedback is a huge advantage in ROF) is imo the Cyborg 3D Force. I recently bought a replacement since the old one had worn out over the past 7 years and it's great :)

+1

I've got two of these, one as a spare as I'd be lost without it, if you want an ffb joystick for lefties there is precious little other option.

Every now and again these come up on Ebay for a reasonable price, keep a look out, best option for lefties imho and drivers are still available for Windows 7 and 8.

By the way, I think the joystick manufacturers are being really short sighted here in obsessing over right handed only models. If one of them were to come out with a decent ambidextrous ffb option they would automatically control at least 10% of that market, by not doing so they miss out and us lefties miss out, really silly if you ask me.

#33 Gamedad-be

Gamedad-be

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:50

It finally became the Thrustmaster T16000… I already used it in quick mission of line and its smooth and precise and above all: left-handed :) ( 60 seconds with a screwdriver and it was ready to use )

I would like to thank you all for your input! It's much appreciated!

Check our six! :S!:

#34 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:53

+1

I've got two of these, one as a spare as I'd be lost without it, if you want an ffb joystick for lefties there is precious little other option.

Every now and again these come up on Ebay for a reasonable price, keep a look out, best option for lefties imho and drivers are still available for Windows 7 and 8.

By the way, I think the joystick manufacturers are being really short sighted here in obsessing over right handed only models. If one of them were to come out with a decent ambidextrous ffb option they would automatically control at least 10% of that market, by not doing so they miss out and us lefties miss out, really silly if you ask me.

Actually that post is about three years old, I have since then switched to an MS FFB2 which I converted for left-handed use and it is by far superior :)

#35 slyfutret

slyfutret

Posted 06 March 2013 - 20:43

+1

Actually that post is about three years old, I have since then switched to an MS FFB2 which I converted for left-handed use and it is by far superior :)

You're entirely correct, I'd agree the MSFFB2 is technically the undisputed king of the ffb sticks. Problem is it is horrible to hold for any length of time "out the box" for a lefty because it's ergonomically moulded for it's principal customers, right handers (just like most of the other sticks on the market). This is why I have stuck with my 3D force so far.

I'm intrigued though, how did you go about modifying your MSFFB2 for left handers? If it isn't hugely time consuming or complex I may try this myself, care to share your modding tips?

Ps Gamedad-be, The Thrustmaster T16000 is a smashing stick, good choice sir. I used this before going down the ffb route. Major kudos to thrustmaster for bucking the trend and actively catering to the entire market by making it easily altered for lefties.

:S!:

#36 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 06 March 2013 - 20:48

MS FFB2: Lefty conversion

Will take like 2-3 hours I think :) Especially with sugru it should be great - havent applied mine yet, waiting for good weather so I can do some more sanding on the grip.

#37 slyfutret

slyfutret

Posted 06 March 2013 - 21:35

MS FFB2: Lefty conversion

Will take like 2-3 hours I think :) Especially with sugru it should be great - havent applied mine yet, waiting for good weather so I can do some more sanding on the grip.

Cool, might have a crack at something similar myself, thanks for the details ImPeRaToR :S!:

#38 theMoxy

theMoxy

Posted 06 March 2013 - 22:35

Hello,

I just got RoF yesterday but the joystick I am using just makes aiming at anything impossible. But thats what I get for getting a £20 joystick.

Only thing is I am left handed so not many options? Also do you really need rudder pedals to fly well? Don't want to spend much money right now.

Many thanks

Ritter von Fear
Formally Jasta 18 RB3D

Left-handed!?? Shouldn't you have been burned at the stake years ago for witchcraft or something? I can't believe we tolerate this now! What is the world coming to?

#39 0311

Posted 13 March 2013 - 15:46

I feel for the OP, I'm left handed but have learned to do certain things with the right. Golfing was one, playing my guitar and mandolin was another. Flying with my right hand was the latest. It might be better for you to take the time to learn to use your right then you won't be restricted to future joystick purchases. It doesn't take long really. In fact, I tried to swap my mouse to my left hand and it felt like I was trying to throw a baseball with my right.

I wish I had learned to shoot with my righthand before I went into the Corps. More than once I had an empty .223 shell find its way down my shirt. OOOO hot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users