• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ACE-OF-ACES

ACE-OF-ACES

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:59

Hi guys

RoF noob here..

Long story short..

The graphics are stunning no doubt about it..

But the distance that I can spot aircraft is very limited..

That is to say I never see a 'dot' off in the distance.. the plane just suddenly appears and appears pretty close in.. But close in it aint a dot when it apears it is a full fledge outline of a plane..

Is there a way or a setting that I can set to increase the distance at which planes 'start' to appear?

As in I can see a 'dot' out there but can not make it out just yet..

I have a two GTX280s running in SLI mode so I can handle the graphics..

Any advice/info would be great

Thanks

#2 ATAG_Bliss

ATAG_Bliss

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:03

ACE-OF-ACES,

Sorry for the dumb question but do you have your head zoom in/out keys assigned? It allows you to change your FOV, very similar to IL2. You can zoom in so the only thing you see on your screen, if looking forward in the plane, is your aiming sight. Makes a huge difference and is a must have for spotting planes, targets, etc at a large distance.

#3 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:08

sorry but anyway, sight distances are not far enough.

#4 Criquet

Criquet

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:52

a subject which was covered in million lines of text on the forums.

If a thing is certain it is that one cannot reduce that has only one assertion

#5 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:04

The distance over which you can see aircraft is 2,5 km by default. If you zoom in however, you can increase that all the way to 9 km. It will require you to zoom in and look around a lot, so unless you can assign your zoom to an axis (I have it bound to my rudder pedal brake axis) and you have a TrackIR it will be rather tedious.

#6 PP_Nobody96

PP_Nobody96

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:08

You assigned it to the brake axis? Thats a hell of an interesting idea! I have to try it at once :)

so long
Mathias

#7 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:38

The view distance is very odd indeed. For an archery simulator it would be okay, but for a combat flight sim it drastically reduces the tactical possibilities beyond arcade play.

#8 Parazaine

Parazaine

Posted 27 July 2010 - 13:09

I hate the current 'zoom fix' for view distance. Yes we can zoom in but I find it awkward to use at the best of times.

I (and many others) have repeatedly asked for a dot system….it works well in other sims.

Neoqb have stated that as the FM and DM is calculated for all aircraft in view so current computers therefore limit the number of planes that can have all these calculations active at once.

I (and others) have asked why it is necessary to calculate the DM of an aircraft that is 10km away and also, perhaps the detailed FM.

We have what we have atm (imo the best combat flight sim available) but the view distance is a real immersion and situational awareness killer.

#9 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 27 July 2010 - 13:55

It's one of the fundementals of the sim, but patch after patch it's left as is, with the crummy zoom workaround.

#10 ACE-OF-ACES

ACE-OF-ACES

Posted 27 July 2010 - 14:25

ACE-OF-ACES,
Sorry for the dumb question but do you have your head zoom in/out keys assigned? It allows you to change your FOV, very similar to IL2. You can zoom in so the only thing you see on your screen, if looking forward in the plane, is your aiming sight. Makes a huge difference and is a must have for spotting planes, targets, etc at a large distance.
Yes I have the zoom keys assigned and use them to zoom in a bit for aiming purpose..

AFTER I have spotted an aircraft and maneuvered into firing position..

But ZOOMING to try ans spot aircraft at a distance is not an option IMHO..

That tunnel vision view would take for ever to scan the sky properly to maintain a good SA..

Now if you saw tracers off in the distance.. Which I have.. but saw no planes associated with the tracers.. That would limit your search area and you could than use the ZOOM to look at that part of the sky to 'see' the planes..

But for general SA you need a full sky view (read non zoomed) and 'dots' out there indicating there is 'something' out there..

Having the plane suddenly appears out of no where as it currently does is very UN-realistic IMHO in that it can totally change your tactics and does not allow you to use historical tactics..

I watched a plane at that magic distance suddenly appear and disappear at will.. No LOD transitions from detailed plane to 'blob' to 'dot'.. To make the analogy it appears he was turning his 'cloaking device' on and off.. And I think we would all agree that technology did not exist in WWI! ;)

All in all a very big immersion and realism killer IMHO.

#11 ACE-OF-ACES

ACE-OF-ACES

Posted 27 July 2010 - 14:26

The view distance is very odd indeed. For an archery simulator it would be okay, but for a combat flight sim it drastically reduces the tactical possibilities beyond arcade play.
Agreed 100%

#12 ACE-OF-ACES

ACE-OF-ACES

Posted 27 July 2010 - 14:27

I hate the current 'zoom fix' for view distance. Yes we can zoom in but I find it awkward to use at the best of times.

I (and many others) have repeatedly asked for a dot system….it works well in other sims.

Neoqb have stated that as the FM and DM is calculated for all aircraft in view so current computers therefore limit the number of planes that can have all these calculations active at once.

I (and others) have asked why it is necessary to calculate the DM of an aircraft that is 10km away and also, perhaps the detailed FM.

We have what we have atm (imo the best combat flight sim available) but the view distance is a real immersion and situational awareness killer.
Agreed 100%

#13 ACE-OF-ACES

ACE-OF-ACES

Posted 27 July 2010 - 14:34

Been giving this one more thought..

The answer they gave you would make sense for offline play where it is just you vs. a bunch of AI planes..

But it make no sense for online play where all the FM calculations are being done locally on each person PC and the only thing shared between PCs over the network is the final result of the FM calculation resulting in a 3D world space position and/or vector

#14 ACE-OF-ACES

ACE-OF-ACES

Posted 27 July 2010 - 14:42

So in summary..

What I discrbied is the 'intended' way the game works..

That is to say I don't have some setting set wrong..

Or some setting I can tweak to increase the view distance..

Basically RoF has no or very limited LOD transitions..

As in no tranition from 'detailed plane outline' to 'blob' to 'dot'

It basically only has 'detailed plane outline' that causes the planes to suddenly 'disapear' at a distance where other flight sims would transition to the 'blob' LOD followed by a transition to a 'dot' LOD at ever further distances

Is that correct?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users