Photo
- - - - -

Is anyone in the community running a 1090T or 1055T six core

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:30

What exact is the improvement a 1090t will bring to RoF, if you compare this to your old 945 quad?

OK, fair question. I said I would do benchmarks, but then I didn't do them. Too rushed. So I don't have any data except the temperatures at the same overclock. It's much cooler.

I just expect the new clouds to be demanding on the cpu and I think that if I get slow-downs, I can increase the overclock without getting bad temperatures.

I'm just guessing. The 945 might have been plenty. Before with the 945 I used to get a bit of slow-down when flying low along a river with trees. I didn't try it yet with the hex, but I'll know if there is an improvement.

#42 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 10 November 2010 - 16:20

Oke seems the 1090t or the last AM3-sixcore 1100t seems the way to go for the 1.017, if getting a AMD.
What mobo do you run, I had in my mind you were running a AM2+ socket!!!
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#43 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 11 November 2010 - 04:39

Yes I was, then I upgraded about 3 months ago so that the new mobo could take a hex core. Then I backed out of gettig the new chip. 3 months later I decided to do it.
The motherboard is not amazing . Asus M4N ??? 890 chipset, but just a minimally priced one. I have never bought an expensive mobo. JayDolan says it's not good to use cheap ones, but … I'm too tight :lol:

I dont know anything about the 1100t but if it's six core, I think it's going to be well suited to RoF.

Those clouds coming are going to need some processing.

#44 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 13 November 2010 - 14:08

Asus makes good boards in general, so even their entry-level stuff should function well. The more expensive boards are only truly worthwhile if you're going to overclock. :)

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

http://quetoo.org

#45 wrong_name_607

wrong_name_607

Posted 13 November 2010 - 16:40

Got a 1055t with an Asus M4A87TD EVO mobo. RoF runs very smooth tho my 5770 bottlenecks my system when all settings are maxed out.

#46 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 13 November 2010 - 21:13

Got a 1055t with an Asus M4A87TD EVO mobo. RoF runs very smooth tho my 5770 bottlenecks my system when all settings are maxed out.

That's the same board I'm using. It seems fine and I overclocked to 3.8 stable, which was not hard at all. I don't feel the need to go to 4GHz, but we'll see.

Maybe there is a 5870 in your future?

#47 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:19

I am also looking at an upgrade in the near future, and I have a choice between the 1090T overclocked to 4ghz, or the i7-930 overclocked to 4ghz (maybe more). The million dollar question which i am struggling to answer is: will 6 AMD cores at 4ghz be faster (in RoF) than 4 Intel cores at 4ghz? For most games, I know the answer already, no. But for RoF which is well-threaded, I am not so sure.

The Intel architecture is miles ahead of the AMD architecture (the i7 is a 32 nm part compared to the 65nm of the AMD!) and the Intel chips wipe the floor with the AMD clock-for-clock. But we are not talking clock for clock - we are talking about number of cores, and two extra AMD cores at 4ghz could indeed make a big difference in RoF…

Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry...

#48 wrong_name_607

wrong_name_607

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:49

That's the same board I'm using. It seems fine and I overclocked to 3.8 stable, which was not hard at all. I don't feel the need to go to 4GHz, but we'll see.

Maybe there is a 5870 in your future?

That or one of the new 6XXX cards. Thinking maybe first quarter of next year.

#49 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 23 November 2010 - 13:00

I am also looking at an upgrade in the near future, and I have a choice between the 1090T overclocked to 4ghz, or the i7-930 overclocked to 4ghz (maybe more). The million dollar question which i am struggling to answer is: will 6 AMD cores at 4ghz be faster (in RoF) than 4 Intel cores at 4ghz? For most games, I know the answer already, no. But for RoF which is well-threaded, I am not so sure.

The Intel architecture is miles ahead of the AMD architecture (the i7 is a 32 nm part compared to the 65nm of the AMD!) and the Intel chips wipe the floor with the AMD clock-for-clock. But we are not talking clock for clock - we are talking about number of cores, and two extra AMD cores at 4ghz could indeed make a big difference in RoF…

The i7-930 will probably beat it, if overclocked to 4.0GHz.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#50 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 23 November 2010 - 13:35

The i7-930 will probably beat it, if overclocked to 4.0GHz.

You think so? Even with 2 extra cores at 4ghz?

Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry...

#51 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 23 November 2010 - 14:46

Yes. I don't think the extra cores are necessarily utilized to their fullest. It is my impression that ROF runs at most 4 threads.

Let me get back to you on that. Tonight I'll try running at an ultra-low resolution with v-sync off to see if I can tap out all 6 cores on mine. My "normal" config leaves ROF GPU-bound because of the resolution I run at.. we'll see what happens when I make it CPU-bound instead.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#52 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 23 November 2010 - 19:51

Yes. I don't think the extra cores are necessarily utilized to their fullest. It is my impression that ROF runs at most 4 threads.

Let me get back to you on that. Tonight I'll try running at an ultra-low resolution with v-sync off to see if I can tap out all 6 cores on mine. My "normal" config leaves ROF GPU-bound because of the resolution I run at.. we'll see what happens when I make it CPU-bound instead.

thanks Jay, I would be very interested in the result of that test. I have heard that RoF is a properly multi-threaded application, so it *should* scale to 6 or more cores, but who really knows? I suppose the only way we will find out is by running tests and seeing what it does..

#53 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 23 November 2010 - 22:57

Well, even good threading implementations have their limits. Some problems can only be parallelized to a certain extent, and then things have to be synchronous/serial. I'll letcha know what I find!

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#54 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:46

Alright, well.. I did my benchmark. Here's the scoop:

Setup:
AMD Phenom II 1090T @ 4.0GHz, CPU-NB and HT link both at 2750MHz too
Corsair Dominator DDR3-1667, 7-7-7-20
AMD 5870 1GB video card

The test:
ROF windowed mode at 1800x800
All graphical settings on lowest possible values
30 plane dogfight quick mission at 2km altitude, fair weather

The result:
120-140fps at all times, 40-50% CPU utilization
All 6 cores were active, but none were above 60%

Interpretation:
Either ROF is GPU-bound on a 5870 even at a modest resolution and lowest quality settings.
or ROF won't really benefit from more than 3-4 cores.

Addendum:
I played with the process affinity in Windows Task Manager while the game was running. Locking the game down to just 3 cores caused no discernible impact to framerate. When running on just 3 cores, all 3 cores were much closer to 100% utilized. This backs up my hunch that the game only runs (at most) 3-4 threads. Cutting the game down to 2 cores caused severe stuttering, but this could be because the game initially saw 3+ cores and spawned an additional thread accordingly.

Bottom line:
A 6 core might give you a little more headroom over a quad core, but ROF does not need more than 3 fast cores. Better off with the i7 930 @ 4.0GHz.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#55 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:56

Bottom line:
… ROF does not need more than 3 fast cores. Better off with the i7 930 @ 4.0GHz.

Good to know for later upgrades

#56 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:42

Thanks Jay, that is interesting. So basically then, RoF is creating 3 thread, and splitting them up between the 6 cores? That is why we are seeing 50%-60% usage on all 6 cores right? My system is going to be both a games machine and an HTPC, so it is quite probable that it will be playing Rof and recording TV through media center at the same time. That is why I was thinking that more cores might be better - 4 cores for Rof, one for media center, and one left over for windows/other stuff.

#57 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 24 November 2010 - 16:00

Thanks, for testing, hope 777 will give us more feedback on this. People seems willing to do the investments for RoF hardware :!:
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#58 =IRFC=AirBiscuit

=IRFC=AirBiscuit
  • LocationNaples, FL USA

Posted 24 November 2010 - 20:31

Thanks Jay, that is interesting. So basically then, RoF is creating 3 thread, and splitting them up between the 6 cores? That is why we are seeing 50%-60% usage on all 6 cores right? My system is going to be both a games machine and an HTPC, so it is quite probable that it will be playing Rof and recording TV through media center at the same time. That is why I was thinking that more cores might be better - 4 cores for Rof, one for media center, and one left over for windows/other stuff.

Kinda. It's important to understand the operating system's role in threading. The OS provides a threading implementation – how your threads get executed is almost entirely up to the OS. So ROF is not "splitting the threads up among 6 cores" – Windows' process scheduler is doing that.

For the scenario you described, the Phenom II X6 would probably be at a slight advantage. It's also worth noting that my system was still cranking out 120fps with 30 planes in the air with the graphics all dumbed down, so really.. Rise of Flight is going to be GPU-limited for most configurations right now. That's actually a really good thing, as graphics cards are becoming faster more quickly than CPU's.

=IRFC=Air Biscuit

#59 LLv34_Flanker

LLv34_Flanker

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:53

S!

Can not say a bad word about 1090T BE. A very nice card overall and for sure more friendly price to the wallet than Intel's 980X. Intel kicks up dust too, but out of my range with the almost 1000€ price tag :( Could get the 1090T + a very good mobo and an AMD GPU with that price alone :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users