- - - - -

core i5 and Win7 x64 possible?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 PP_Nobody96

PP_Nobody96

Posted 23 July 2010 - 14:58

Hi

I know that you need a quadcore cpu to play our beloved RoF stutter free in Win7. Therefore i'm using WinXP atm, but it sucks. Not having the money to buy a true quad cored i7 i am wondering if there are people out there who could report if a i5 (which uses 2 cores and hyperthreading) fixes the stutters also.

Thanks in advance.

Mathias

#2 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 23 July 2010 - 15:34

I think the i5 should do fine. I have the bottom end amd quad core and I don't have stutters with win7.

#3 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 23 July 2010 - 15:41

The Lynnfield core i5's are definitely quad core. There are some mobile i5's that are only dual core and have less cache. I'd stay away from these.

Personally, I wouldn't get anything less than a quad. Just makes no sense.
A quad i5 will run this sim on Win7 x64 quite well btw.

#4 Flashy

Flashy
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 23 July 2010 - 15:45

The Lynnfield core i5's are definitely quad core. There are some mobile i5's that are only dual core and have less cache. I'd stay away from these.

Personally, I wouldn't get anything less than a quad. Just makes no sense.
A quad i5 will run this sim on Win7 x64 quite well btw.

Beat me to it :) If you get a socket 1156 i5, you will have 4 cores. As TB said - dont buy a dual core. They were still fine 2 years ago, but buying a dual core these days is just mad :P

Just because I can give multiple orgasms to the furniture just by sitting on it, doesn't mean that I'm not sick of this damn war: the blood, the noise, the endless poetry...

#5 VonHelton

VonHelton

Posted 23 July 2010 - 16:00

Hi

I know that you need a quadcore cpu to play our beloved RoF stutter free in Win7. Therefore i'm using WinXP atm, but it sucks. Not having the money to buy a true quad cored i7 i am wondering if there are people out there who could report if a i5 (which uses 2 cores and hyperthreading) fixes the stutters also.

Thanks in advance.

Mathias

I'm currently using a triple core, and the quad is on its way!

:mrgreen:

#6 PP_Nobody96

PP_Nobody96

Posted 23 July 2010 - 17:21

Thanks. After reading the product descriptions i don't now where i got the "dualcore + hyperthreading" thing *facepalm*

@All: you guys are awesome. Got the answer i need + i answer i hoped for in nearly no time :)

so long
Mathias

#7 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 23 July 2010 - 17:30

I run this game more then fine with a Q9450 CPU witch predates the icore proccessors. Its a quad core and handles this game mroe then fine on a 24" display. I dont know if you can get the Q cpus anymore though.

#8 1PL-Lucas-1Esk

1PL-Lucas-1Esk
  • LocationPoland/Warsaw

Posted 23 July 2010 - 17:34

If you considering i5, go with quad core i5 760 model. I owned such one paired with Win7 64bit Home Premium and I can recommend it.

1PL-Lucas
CO of 1.Pułk Lotniczy
http://1pl.boo.pl

#9 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 23 July 2010 - 17:37

Yeah, its usually recomended when building to never spring for the top end always get middle of the road. you will save alot of money and not have to wait for your order.

#10 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 23 July 2010 - 17:55

Thanks to all of you, because when thinking about this thread and chat about stuff like hyper-threading I suddenly remembered that I'd cleared my BIOS a couple of weeks ago. So most BIOS settings are still in default. But ever since I reset the BIOS I've been getting random crashes, hard-reboot only and lost cookies etc- but curiously it's been crashing only when at the desktop, never in games

I remembered earlier that I hadn't disabled hyper-threading in CPU/Advanced options… <looks> yep it was enabled in default. Click :)

I'm on an i7 Mathias rather than an i5 and I remember (now you reminded me) that enabling hyper-threading in BIOS is not recommended

Cross fingers for me and my mobo, time will tell <looks around cautiously> So far so good :)

Ming

#11 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 23 July 2010 - 19:25

Hi

Thanks in advance.

Mathias

vonHelton, try to unlock the fourth core of your AMD X3 CPU, if your lucky you get the X4 for free!!!!
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#12 VonHelton

VonHelton

Posted 23 July 2010 - 21:40

Hi

Thanks in advance.

Mathias

vonHelton, try to unlock the fourth core of your AMD X3 CPU, if your lucky you get the X4 for free!!!!

I was in the hope that my MSI motherboard would do so automatically so that I didn't have to fool with it. Sadly, it did not. I'm overly cautious when it comes to hardware. I don't use RAID (Raid kills bugs DEAD, and sometimes hard drives!) and I don't overclock.

To me, stress is hardware's biggest enemy. If you turn too tight in a Nieuport, you lose your wings. This is stress! So, I don't want to lose any parts of my machine.

:ugeek:

#13 taleks2

taleks2

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:05

Speaking of hyperthreading, I've just thought about Win7 dual core and stutters problem.
I wonder, do switching hyperthreading on/off makes any changes?

#14 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:52

I wonder, do switching hyperthreading on/off makes any changes?

That was the point of my note, the machine-crashing hyper-threading function may be one's BIOS default setting, as it is in my case (although I did not experience stuttering with hyper-threading enabled)

If experiencing problems running Rise of Flight dear reader, first disable hyper-threading in BIOS settings. No luck with the problem, disable SLI or Crossfire. Still problems, send up the distress flare :)

As I noted above, hyper-threading enabled did not affect running games at all for me. But it can cause problems under Vista and Win7 and it did (so far so good, everything crossed) adversely affect my machine (caused hard-reboot crashes)(still monitoring)

Ming

#15 Mattius

Mattius

Posted 27 July 2010 - 20:27

Dell 1749 Laptop with an i5 M430 + Radeon Mobility HD5650 +4gb RAM runs ROF sweet!

#16 4S_Nero

4S_Nero

Posted 27 July 2010 - 20:55

My PC:

Intel Core i5 "LYNNFIELD" 750/GigaByte P55-UD4/Corsair XMS3 DDR3 4G 1600 CL8/Palit GTX275/LC Power Hyperon 700W v2.2/Noctua NH-U9B/Iiyama ProLite B2712HDS/CM StormScout/Win 7

ROF runs sweet ;)

#17 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 27 July 2010 - 21:20

Quad core i5 here, ROF runs wonderfull 8-)

#18 MoMorgan

MoMorgan

Posted 27 July 2010 - 22:09

Thanks. After reading the product descriptions i don't now where i got the "dualcore + hyperthreading" thing *facepalm*

@All: you guys are awesome. Got the answer i need + i answer i hoped for in nearly no time :)

so long
Mathias

As I understand it, hyperthreading is a quad-core and i7 (possibly i5) threshold. It solves the FSB bottleneck that plagued CPU/mobo design for years. Moore's Law holds very constant (and has for ~30 years.)

#19 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:28

It solves the FSB bottleneck that plagued CPU/mobo design for years

Ah thanks Mo, that's interesting

On my crashing chaps, it still happened after disabling hyper-threading in BIOS grr

But what seems (rabbit foot) to have fixed that (rosary beads) was updating to the latest GeForce drivers. Fingers crossed again :) - but noting what you said Mo, I think I'll try enabling hyper-threading (after a period under test as-is) again, thanks mate

Ming

#20 VonHelton

VonHelton

Posted 28 July 2010 - 15:38

It solves the FSB bottleneck that plagued CPU/mobo design for years

Ah thanks Mo, that's interesting

On my crashing chaps, it still happened after disabling hyper-threading in BIOS grr

But what seems (rabbit foot) to have fixed that (rosary beads) was updating to the latest GeForce drivers. Fingers crossed again :) - but noting what you said Mo, I think I'll try enabling hyper-threading (after a period under test as-is) again, thanks mate

Ming

YES! I totally forgot to mention it!

NEW GEOFORCE Drivers are out as of YESTERDAY!

http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-us

…..I've noticed a great improvement in over-all use!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

#21 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 28 July 2010 - 17:11

All still ok

They also cured some trouble I was having with rendering in OpenGL (windows were not updating) and in Rise of Flight benchmarking I'm getting over 50fps minimum (at only 50% terrain complexity though)

I'd still sell my grandmother for DX11 :)

Ming

#22 Mattius

Mattius

Posted 02 August 2010 - 20:15

Running ROF on a Dell Studio 1749.

CPU: i5 430 (Shows 4 cores although I think it is only 2 with hyperthreading).
GPU: HD5650 1gb
RAM: 4gb

Def Better than my old AMD 6000+ x2!

Pleased to report ROF runs nicely on this system! - (Surprisingly?)

#23 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 02 August 2010 - 21:26

Thanks to all of you, because when thinking about this thread and chat about stuff like hyper-threading I suddenly remembered that I'd cleared my BIOS a couple of weeks ago. So most BIOS settings are still in default. But ever since I reset the BIOS I've been getting random crashes, hard-reboot only and lost cookies etc- but curiously it's been crashing only when at the desktop, never in games

I remembered earlier that I hadn't disabled hyper-threading in CPU/Advanced options… <looks> yep it was enabled in default. Click :)

I'm on an i7 Mathias rather than an i5 and I remember (now you reminded me) that enabling hyper-threading in BIOS is not recommended

Cross fingers for me and my mobo, time will tell <looks around cautiously> So far so good :)

Ming

you can try to update your bios…..

#24 VonHelton

VonHelton

Posted 03 August 2010 - 00:08

All still ok

They also cured some trouble I was having with rendering in OpenGL (windows were not updating) and in Rise of Flight benchmarking I'm getting over 50fps minimum (at only 50% terrain complexity though)

I'd still sell my grandmother for DX11 :)

Ming

I'd rather have one of these:

:twisted:

#25 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 03 August 2010 - 23:19

VonHelton :)

you can try to update your bios…

No the latest BIOS's mess up the PCIe slots, I've had to go back to an early BIOS. But thanks I'll research that again- if it's working don't fix it though, invariably goes wrong and then we've only got ourselves to blame :)

Ming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users