- - - - -

The Death of Werner Voss.. A video documentary

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 20 July 2010 - 13:12

Hi all,

Just finished a new video - It's quite different I believe to anything else I've seen in terms of the format - It's an historical documentary on Voss's last action..

I'm sure there must be some historical inaccuracies, but I'm sure you'll let me know what they are! The first is, it's the wrong time of day - my error - :oops: Meant to be late pm/early evening and the weather's not quite right, but that's a limitation within RoF..

Anyway, as ever best viewed in HD.. It's quite good quality and you can really expand the picture and retain the definition :P

All comments welcome as ever..

ps Perhaps we could have another competition along these lines of historical mini films?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=mKspJtIMPH0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">

#2 =J99=Sizzlorr

=J99=Sizzlorr

Posted 20 July 2010 - 13:22

Very nice vid enoyed watching it! Hope to see more of those in the future ;)
For example Richthofen's last flight and so on.

yedwwtfx.gif

#3 Der_Sevtl

Der_Sevtl

Posted 20 July 2010 - 13:23

Magnificant!
Thanks for making it!

#4 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 20 July 2010 - 13:31

Outstanding! Expertly put together and edited. I would love to see more of these. Maybe a homage to other aces ect.

My only question is why not use the Werner Voss skin?

That said its loads better than the Dogfights series. Nice one!

#5 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 20 July 2010 - 13:32

Very nice video!

#6 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 20 July 2010 - 13:47

Really nice work.

#7 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 20 July 2010 - 15:04

Couldn't find the Voss skin? I'll be gutted if there is one! :oops:

Thanks though… ;)

#8 Brutal_Baron

Brutal_Baron

Posted 20 July 2010 - 15:40

Nice work! :D I know a lot of time and editing was used to make this clip.

#9 VonTobler65

VonTobler65

Posted 20 July 2010 - 16:03

Bravo! This is a great video, I have this game just need a new computer to run it. Again great job on your video ,keep up the great work.
VonTobler

#10 =MR.FOX=

=MR.FOX=

Posted 20 July 2010 - 16:15

heres a skin im working on to replace my old one.
working on 2 versions of it. the one we all hear about in the accounts of British pilots, and what the factory said is should look like.
Re-Work F1/Dr1 Voss

#11 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 20 July 2010 - 16:46

That was brilliant!!! :) It reminds me of the "Dogfights" episode about this very fight! (Only ROF looks better!) ;)

#12 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 20 July 2010 - 16:48

YEah and he doesnt have those wonky 180 turns like they had in that dogfight episode.

#13 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 20 July 2010 - 16:59

I just watched this again now Im home from work. Much better in fullscreen and with sound.

I must say its the best ROF video ive seen to date. I love the post effects youve put on. I really does look like real footage.

Awesome! Have you posted this over at simhq?

#14 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 20 July 2010 - 17:36

I agree squid this video is top notch! It is up there with the WW2 video with Ave Maria playing in the background.

#15 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 20 July 2010 - 18:16

Great work! Really well done but not overdone at all. Best yet!

#16 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 20 July 2010 - 18:20

The most amazing RoF video ever. period. :shock: :o

(shouldn't have used the 56 skins with the white band or the inverted V though, as on the 23rd of September 1917 all of them had blue dumbells, but never mind, it's brilliant nevertheless! )

#17 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 20 July 2010 - 18:51

Absolutely brilliant video!

Best I've seen!

Thanks!

HT

[As an aside (I know, but I can't help myself :lol: ), McCudden said in his memoirs he only saw one other Dr.1, months later in the spring of 1918, during his whole career. That's how rare they really were.

[I visited Voss's grave when I toured the Western Front last year. Sadly, he's buried in a mass grave (25,000 German dead!) at Langemark just north of Ypres. I also saw McCudden's grave in a pretty little British cemetery just north of the Somme. People still put fresh flowers on it. Voss deserved the same.]

#18 IM.LOFT

IM.LOFT

Posted 20 July 2010 - 18:57

Many thanks to the Author of all who made the ROF.

#19 150GCT_Veltro

150GCT_Veltro

Posted 20 July 2010 - 19:06

Bravo Gisbod!

This is masterpiece for RoF! Wonderfull!

#20 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 20 July 2010 - 19:06

Too bad he didnt have this done for the video contest. Although not a promotional video that video could have been put on the history channel easily.

As for Voss, Grave. Its a shame but which side of the lines did he crash on? If it was the western side its understandable, maybe they didnt even know who he was after a terminal velocity crash like that I doubt any identifiers were left of his plane.

#21 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 20 July 2010 - 19:07

McCudden's grave in a pretty little British cemetery just north of the Somme

Fly on dear boy
From this dark world of strife
On to the promised land
To eternal life

#22 XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K

Posted 20 July 2010 - 19:56

This video is nothing short of a masterpiece. Well done. Thanks for making it and showing it to us, Gisbod! :)

#23 =FB=Chapay

=FB=Chapay

Posted 20 July 2010 - 20:04

ролик хорош по компоновке, что следует довершить? сделать воздушный бой более захватывающим.
нет чувства азарта, когда смерть - тянет к тебе "пряди своих серых трасс" :)

#24 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 20 July 2010 - 20:32

As for Voss, Grave. Its a shame but which side of the lines did he crash on? If it was the western side its understandable, maybe they didnt even know who he was after a terminal velocity crash like that I doubt any identifiers were left of his plane.

I just looked it up and I had the number in the mass grave incorrect (I changed it above). There are 44,000 German dead buried at Langemark, of whom 24,917 are in the mass grave, of whom 7,977 are unknown.

Clearly, they knew Voss was buried there as his name is among thousands on the monument.

Voss crashed at a place called Plum Farm NE of Ypes and was buried by the British at the crash site.

Under a 1954 agreement between Belgium and Germany, a large number of German gave sites in the Ypres area were moved to four central cemeteries including Langemark, which is maintained by the German government.

Among the other airmen buried in the common grave there is Erwin Boehme, who survived the collision that killed Oswald Boelcke, later went on the command Jasta 29 and Jasta 2 and was awarded the Blue Max. He was killed two months after Voss.

#25 BH_Vfw_Klaue

BH_Vfw_Klaue

Posted 20 July 2010 - 20:37

S! What a wonderful video,great work. ;)

#26 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 20 July 2010 - 23:11

Thanks chaps..

But there are a couple of spelling errors - gutted! :( I may have to reload it if anyone has any other snags that need to be changed?

Amazing how you can't see the wood for the trees sometimes… :roll:

#27 O_Smiladon

O_Smiladon

Posted 20 July 2010 - 23:21

S!
Very nice…..

Smiladon

#28 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 20 July 2010 - 23:26

Brilliant video mate well done.

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#29 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 20 July 2010 - 23:43

TBH Gisbod I never noticed the spelling errors until they were pointed out.

Really nice video, I could have seen myself having a go at something like this after the "fun" I had making my trailer competition video, but you have set the bar rather high from the off for "historical" video depictions.

Nice one.

#30 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 21 July 2010 - 00:05

Dont go back to it Gisbod. Its brilliant. Really looking forward to the next one.

PS hope you dont mind, but i posted it over at simhq. Seems the guys love it just as much as we do

S!

#31 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:18

For real, spelling errors are a human mistake, leave em in it makes it genuine.

#32 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:29

Dont go back to it Gisbod. Its brilliant. Really looking forward to the next one.

PS hope you dont mind, but i posted it over at simhq. Seems the guys love it just as much as we do

S!

Thanks Squid, no worries.. ;)

Never thought of that.. It's nice to share it around!

I'll have to think what scenario to do next.. :? I guess I'll have to leave the typo errors now - but gutted all the same

#33 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:34

What about Ernst Udet vs Guynemer?

http://membres.multi...thal/story2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://membres.multi...thal/story2.htm

#34 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:37

heres a skin im working on to replace my old one.
working on 2 versions of it. the one we all hear about in the accounts of British pilots, and what the factory said is should look like.
Re-Work F1/Dr1 Voss

Ah! I should have waited! :o As Reflected pointed out, there are errors in the 56 Sqn schemes too (basically later sqn schemes than I should have used), but the alternative was a blank Se5a default which would be even more wrong I guess.. :roll:

It was also heavy overcast at 9,000', You used to be able to set this, but now it just gives me heavy rain if that's preset in the QMB.. I don't know if this can be set in the mission editor? I haven't tried it yet as it seemed so complicated! :oops:

#35 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:38

What about Ernst Udet vs Guynemer?

http://membres.multi...thal/story2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://membres.multi...thal/story2.htm

Thanks Squid, I'll have a look at that ;) All suggestions welcome!

#36 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:42

Ps.. Squid, have you the link to the SimHq post? I can't find it? Thanks ;)

#37 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:43

How about Frank Luke? (we don't have his skin yet though)

I really meant what I was saying. A fortnight later when Frank Luke began his marvelous balloon strafing he passed my score in a single jump. Luke, as I have said, was on the same aerodrome with me, being a member of 27 Squadron. His rapid success even brought 27 Squadron ahead of 95 Squadron for a few days.

The following day I witnessed a typical expedition of Luke's from our own aerodrome. Just about dusk on September 16th Luke left the Major's headquarters and walked over to his machine. As he came out of the door he pointed out the two German observation balloons to the east of our field, both of which could be plainly seen with the naked eye. They were suspended in the sky about two miles back of the Boche lines and were perhaps four miles apart.

" Keep your eyes on these two balloons," said Frank as he passed us. " You will see that first one there go up in flames exactly at 7:15 and the other will do likewise at 7:19."

We had little idea he would really get either of them, but we all gathered together out in the open as the time grew near and kept our eyes glued to the distant specks in the sky. Suddenly Major Hartney exclaimed, " There goes the first one! " It was true! A tremendous flare of flame lighted up the horizon. We all glanced at our watches. It was exactly on the dot!

The intensity of our gaze towards the location of the second Hun balloon may be imagined. It had grown too dusk to distinguish the balloon itself, but we well knew the exact point in the horizon where it hung. Not a word was spoken as we alternately glanced at the second-hands of our watches and then at the eastern skyline. Almost upon the second our watching group yelled simultaneously. A small blaze first lit up the point at which we were gazing. Almost instantaneously another gigantic burst of flames announced to us that the second balloon had been destroyed! It was a most spectacular exhibition.

We all stood by on the aerodrome in front of Luke's hangar until fifteen minutes later we heard through the darkness the hum of his returning motor. His mechanics were shooting up red Very lights with their pistols to indicate to him the location of our field. With one short circle above the aerodrome he shut off his motor and made a perfect landing just in front of our group. Laughing and hugely pleased with his success, Luke jumped out and came running over to us to receive our heartiest congratulations. Within a half hour's absence from the field Frank Luke had destroyed a hundred thousand dollars' worth of enemy property! He had returned absolutely unscratched.

Or Richthofen's last flight? Ball's last flight? Or the Richthofen vs Lanoe Hawker fight?

#38 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:25

Here you go Gisbod

http://simhq.com/for...tml#Post3056440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://simhq.com/for...bbthreads.php/t … ost3056440

Thinking on you would need a Spad VII for Guynemer, I guess at a strech you could substitute the XIII with a suitible skin.

Hawker Lanoe vs Ricthtofen is a great suggestion! And the skins have just been completed :)

#39 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:26

Imp makes for a great Hawker :)

#40 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:43

Imp makes for a great Hawker

I would say his accent is a bit off. However I reckon he would be perfect for the part of Manfred luvey!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users