Photo
- - - - -

Skin of the Screamin Eagles Squadron

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 SE_Aetos

SE_Aetos

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:11

Took me long enough, but I got it done. Hope you all like it. See you in the skys.

link updated 7/19/10
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b2a246g/n/SC_ScreaminEagles.zip

Updated image in result of feedback below. I left the orginal above to compare too. The white trim on the top wing, sides and on the wheels, have been toned down, and is not so bright. That being said, the sun it high in this pic, and it is still rather white, but not more so then the default white. (pic has been removed)

Updated a second time. Again white trim has been darkened even more.

SE_Aetos

#2 rabu

rabu

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:24

nice. :P

#3 SE_Aetos

SE_Aetos

Posted 17 July 2010 - 13:12

Thanks rabu. At least someone seems to think so. Would be nice if the "no" votes would explain what is wrong with my skin. Or am I just picking up more than usual of the anti fictional skin folks? (which is an invalid argument for voting "no" BTW)

#4 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 17 July 2010 - 13:21

The white parts you added seem a bit too "neon", if you could replace it with a darker duller colour like the "white" you can see on the rudder would make it look a lot better I think, atm the white is really flashy.

#5 SE_Aetos

SE_Aetos

Posted 17 July 2010 - 13:24

Thank you ImPeRaToR! That is feedback I can work with. Ya, I had the same problem with the red, and I fixed that, but did not do anything with the white. I will take care of it.

#6 SE_Aetos

SE_Aetos

Posted 17 July 2010 - 13:37

OK, I made the change. The white trim is toned down now to the same color as the white on the tail. I will get the file and pic updated sometime today or tomorrow…

SE_Aetos

#7 rabu

rabu

Posted 17 July 2010 - 15:43

That was a good suggestion and I look forward to seeing the changes. I thought I had voted, but it apparently didn't take, I did it again.

AND… can someone explain to me what the voting is about anyway? If a person doesn't get enough yes votes does that mean it won't be available for dl as part of one of the skin packages?

ie: This is a nice, non historical skin.. not one I would probably not want installed while flying historical missions, but it seems like it would be great for MP or others who want to use it, but does that mean I have to vote no? (I voted yes anyway)

#8 SE_Aetos

SE_Aetos

Posted 17 July 2010 - 17:18

Oh, I am sure this war was debated to death in some other thread, but here we go…

The vote is not to determine if non historical (fictional) skins should be permitted in the game, but I feel some still treat it as that. The Devs have made that decision. Non-historical skins are permitted if one wants to use them. period! Anyone who says they should not be in the game is wasting there breath at this point. They don't have to download them. They don't have to use them. If they come against anyone who is using them in MP, they will only see the default skin in that case since they did not download it.

So why the voting? Well, it is useful for feedback to make the skin better than when it was first presented. Many errors get caught in the voting process, or improvements made, such as in my case, the changing of the brightness of the white trim. IMHO other reasons for voting "no" would be…

a) They workmanship is of real poor quality. (in that case offer advice)
b) The skin is in poor taste or offensive. Like if I wrote "rabu sucks" across the top wing.
c) Errors in the file format, or such. (which should be fixed then changed to a yes vote)
d) Some way the skin is a cheat. (in RB3D someone created a transparent plane once)

Voting for the Historical skins in the other forum is a bit more relevant since you have to make sure it is an exact copy of the original. We don't have that issue here. So, if anyone votes "no" because they don't like non-historical skins, I believe are abusing the purpose of the voting process. They should simply refrain from voting.

Now if a server says to use only Historical skins, I would respect that, but don't punish people's hard work and deny their squad from flying in their own colors just because you think it is wrong for ROF to have non historic skins available.

I don't know what percentage you need to get to pass. I am sure someone can fill us in on this detail.

SE_Aetos

#9 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 17 July 2010 - 17:22

What he said :) Well put!

Enabling revoting (already on I see) and updating your preview pictures will hopefully allow and remind people to change their votes to yes but there really seem some very very very stubborn people out there that vote no on any skin. Luckily these people are usually getting ignored but they are still quite rude, imo. But we had this discussions numerous times indeed so I am sorry for bringing it up again…

#10 MattM

MattM

Posted 17 July 2010 - 17:59

I voted yes.

Interesting design, looks really creative.

(and just ignore the no-voters please)

#11 SE_Aetos

SE_Aetos

Posted 17 July 2010 - 19:28

OK, I made the changes on the white trim and added a pic to the first post.

Ya Matt, I was prepared for a couple no votes, but when it was 7 yes and 5 no, I had to ask why. :)

#12 rabu

rabu

Posted 17 July 2010 - 19:35

Aetos: Thanks for explaining that, I'm somewhat new here in some areas and wasn't aware of all the rules and such.. glad you didn't put "rabu sucks" but you probably would have immediately got a bunch of yes votes based on the attention I seem to foster on this forum. :lol:

I looked at the "rules" for posting a skin and the part about having the file and description names in every language on earth except Abarogine sort of threw me? How the H do you do that?

One more comment, hopefully taken constructivly, I would still turn the value down on your white parts.. do you see the roundell ring white values? Your white right next to them is still jumpping out to much and especially on the wheels. One way to check it is to measure the RGB value of the roundel white and compare it to the white you are using. JMHO. Definetly looking good though and very original.

#13 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 17 July 2010 - 20:10

Did you leave bloom on in your new shots Aetos? that might explain the bright white.

#14 Pimpin

Pimpin

Posted 17 July 2010 - 21:16

Nice skins!

#15 SE_Aetos

SE_Aetos

Posted 17 July 2010 - 22:04

No, rabu is correct. I must have color clicked the wrong white pixel when getting the color sample. Will have to make rev 3. Please stand by… ;)

#16 rabu

rabu

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:56

How about the language translation part.. how do you do that?

Thanks,

#17 SE_Aetos

SE_Aetos

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:07

Ok.
1.Made sure I used the correct color of white this time.
2.Moved the "Screamin Eagle" text a bit lower on the wing. It was wraping around the front a bit much…
3.Added bright red text, 76 size font across the bottom saying "rabu sucks"

Ok.. maybe I didn't do #3.

Also, the brightness on my monitor got turned up, so that was also part of the problem.

Rabu,

Check out this thread:
Clarified Naming Guidelines for Submitted "For Fun" Skins
It has all you need for the text file. Just add your squad name or pilot name (kept in english) in the place holder.

Everyone, thanks for your help/comments.

Anyone looking to join a squad?

SE_Aetos

#18 rabu

rabu

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:37

Looks really nice, Aetos! and thanks for the link, will look it over.

#19 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 18 July 2010 - 21:48

Looks really nice, Aetos! and thanks for the link, will look it over.

Be sure to look at the second post in that thread - it has the pre-translated template for the .txt file that you can use to avoid having to chase people for the translations.

One way I've found useful in toning down the white on my historical skins - after selecting all the white areas, create a new layer and paint them over with a very dark yellow/brown color (doesn't really matter much which one) - then play around with reducing the transparency of that new layer to around 10-20%, until you like the result. It tends to both darken and give the white a little yellowish tint, consistent with the effect the varnish and weathering would probably have had.

Good luck!

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 39.jpg

#20 SE_Aetos

SE_Aetos

Posted 20 July 2010 - 00:18

I have updated the zip file with the new DSS file.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b2a246g/n/SC_ScreaminEagles.zip

Weathering? Oh, my planes never see their second mission. ;) Factory fresh every time.

SE_Aetos

#21 Jaws2002

Jaws2002

Posted 29 July 2010 - 16:46

Weathering? Oh, my planes never see their second mission. ;) Factory fresh every time.

SE_Aetos

Hehehe. I like that. :mrgreen:

Great skin Aetos. Looking forward to see it online. :P

#22 SE_Aetos

SE_Aetos

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:41

Thanks Jaws. On weathering… I have started working on the SE5a and have noticed that it is by default a much darker and more weather skin, when using the same colors. The weathering layers are heaver per say. All the default skins this inconsistent between each other?

SE_Aetos

#23 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 05 August 2010 - 17:19

Poll concluded; thread locked.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 39.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users