Photo
- - - - -

Trakir versus VR Insights

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 14 July 2010 - 14:25

I was looking around and found this: http://www.fspilotsh...roducts_id=1939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fspilotsh...om/product_info … ts_id=1939 As a cheaper alternative to trakir. Has anyone tried VR Insights? Is it compatible with ROF? how does it compare to Trakir?

#2 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 14 July 2010 - 16:39

It looks like it would work. What irks me is its a direct copy of TrackIR. I dont know their pattent situation but that LED assembly that hooks to presumably a headset damn near looks identical to a track clip pro. Good luck with it, myself I would spend the extra and even if to avoid supporting copyright infringment.

#3 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 14 July 2010 - 17:05

Well VR Insights has a large line of products and I doubt that they would be able to get away with outright copyright infringement, or would risk it. Also it has been reviewed on some pretty reputable sites. However I have done some more reading and some reviews that suggests that it has limited compatibility with non MS sims. I was hoping someone here had given it a go.

#4 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 14 July 2010 - 18:11

It looks like it could be a good product. Maybe somone can help you out if they have tried it. I would think at worse if you did buy it and it didnt work you could use the freetrack software which is probably close to what that uses.

#5 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 15 July 2010 - 19:31

so no one here is using VR insights?

#6 ST_Agent86

ST_Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 04 January 2011 - 22:58

:) I havent tried VR Insights, but have tried FaceTracknoir……..I downloaded it yesterday, I have had pretty good success with it in ROF. I like it, never having tried Trackir or freetrack (no success w/freetrack), I have nothing to compare it to. Seems to work well. I have been tweaking the settings alot and getting to know the software a bit. Crashed ROF twice only, so far and that was after I updated from the original download. I find it doesnt work well in low light though………during daylight hours I get @ 30-34 FPS. In the evenings with regular room lighting, I get @ 9-12 FPS. I think it probably is the web cam settings, although I havent found anything to "adjust" there yet. I found it only after I removed the ir filter from an old quick cam express (no win 7 drivers). If anyone wants it, they can have it for ship cost. Probably just as cheap as buying a new cam. web cam= HP Pro web cam. AMD Athlon IIX4 2.6 Processor 2.6 GHz, 6.00 GB ram, Win 7 64 bit OS :)

Sorry About That                                                           

#7 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 04 January 2011 - 23:04

I don't think I'd wear that on my head TTTT. :lol: Instead of the head apparatus flush against the ball cap, the sensors pretrude out from the bill, that would distract me, and I'dd look like a bug. Not saying I'm tryna impress anyone. :lol: :lol: :lol:

#8 Millst0ne

Millst0ne

Posted 04 January 2011 - 23:20

Actually, You have to impress Mrs. Cap :D

#9 DidNotFinish

DidNotFinish

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:11

Actually, You have to impress Mrs. Cap :D

Yeah, uhh, my GF already laughs at all my other flight sim gadgetry so, that thing, bad idea. :lol: I laugh equally as hard when I let her try! 8-)

#10 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:37

:) I find it doesnt work well in low light though………during daylight hours I get @ 30-34 FPS. In the evenings with regular room lighting, I get @ 9-12 FPS. I think it probably is the web cam settings, although I havent found anything to "adjust" there yet. I found it only after I removed the ir filter from an old quick cam express (no win 7 drivers). If anyone wants it, they can have it for ship cost. Probably just as cheap as buying a new cam. web cam= HP Pro web cam. AMD Athlon IIX4 2.6 Processor 2.6 GHz, 6.00 GB ram, Win 7 64 bit OS :)

So using this Facetrak system it is better to move the IRfilter from the webcam. :?:
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#11 ST_Agent86

ST_Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 05 January 2011 - 18:40

No, I removed the ir filter from an old usb web cam, to be used with free track…..(Driver prob).
For FaceTracknoir, your cam must have face tracking capability. There are a few cams listed, that are reported to work with this software. Mine is an HP web cam Pro and it works with no mods to the cam
http://facetracknoir...ome/default.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://facetracknoir...ome/default.htm

Sorry About That                                                           

#12 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 05 January 2011 - 21:20

I'm using the XV1000 from microsoft, so whats best removing the IR filter or just keep it stock. I guess removing the IR filter will make you cam not so depending on the surrounding light.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users