Photo
- - - - -

Altitude Throttle

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 13 July 2010 - 16:40

Since buying my quadrant I've been playing "for real" more and more (no aids), but I'm not sure about controlling every plane in every condition and I hadn't a clue as to how to use the "altitude throttle" until I stumbled across this:

FOKKER DVII F - a new airplane in Rise Of Flight. This outstanding machine is equipped with a BMW engine and customized carburetor specially designed for high altitude fighting. It gives the FOKKER DVII F a sensible advantage. The carburetor is controlled by two levers: by the main throttle (like the other planes in the game) and by the altitude throttle. The altitude throttle gives the aircraft increased power at altitudes higher than 2000 meters, which makes it a real predator, fast and very deadly. You should observe operational regulations for the high-altitude engine while flying this aircraft. Aloft under 2000 meters, altitude throttle should be completely shut down. While climbing higher than 2000 meters you should open the altitude throttle for 1/3. The next mark is 3000 meters, altitude throttle should be opened to 2/3. After climbing higher than 4000 meters altitude throttle should be completely open, allowing the engine to realize all of its potential. Be careful, as opening the altitude throttle at lower altitudes leads to engine failure. Even though you don't hear any strange or unusual sounds, the engine is wearing out and can fail any time. This damage is permanent (unlike overcold or overheat for example). For altitude throttle management, we implemented new key combinations : "Right Alt +" and "Right Alt -".

I found this here.

Do all the planes have this control? Or just a few?
Do you guys use your joystick controls or do you use the quadrant or keyboard to map it?
Last question: Is it really essential?
Thanks!

#2 ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ

Posted 13 July 2010 - 16:50

Do all the planes have this control? Or just a few?

Only planes with BMW engine: Fokker D.VIIF and Pfalz D.XII

Do you guys use your joystick controls or do you use the quadrant or keyboard to map it?

Rotary control on throttle.

Last question: Is it really essential?

Yes. With it closed you will loose lots of performance with increasing altitude.

#3 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 13 July 2010 - 17:39

Only planes with BMW engine: Fokker D.VIIF and Pfalz D.XII

Wouldn't you know it… I've been flying the D.VIIF alot lately!
Luckily I haven't been over 2000 meters very often recently or I might have noticed the lack of performance.
Thanks, ZaltysZ!

#4 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 13 July 2010 - 18:19

I really dont notice a difference, of course I have yet to fly on any server that the fight was above 2k

#5 Masaq

Masaq

Posted 13 July 2010 - 23:40

It works well if you're using either a throttle controller with two levers (Logitech G940 for example) or like my old setup was; an all-in-one stick with a base throttle combined with a separate throttle controller.

With that, I used the Saitek Cyborg Evo's base throttle for the altitude throttle, and a Saitek X52's Throttle for the main throttle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users