Photo
- - - - -

Increase System Memory - Increase Performance?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 13 July 2010 - 13:48

I've been dual booting for awhile with XP (Pro 32 bit) and Win7 (64) and have finally decided to just go with Win7 as the game looks and plays the best with it… so that means I can now up my memory count as Win7 will see more RAM than XP.

Here's the question that someone maybe able to help me with and possibly save me money:
Will I see any increase in performance in RoF by doubling my memory from 4gb to 8gb?

Note: I have an ATI HD5770… am working with 4 sticks of DDR2 and an Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9550 on a 64 bit mobo.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!
S!

#2 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 13 July 2010 - 13:51

I've been dual booting for awhile with XP (Pro 32 bit) and Win7 (64) and have finally decided to just go with Win7 as the game looks and plays the best with it… so that means I can now up my memory count as Win7 will see more RAM than XP.

Here's the question that someone maybe able to help me with and possibly save me money:
Will I see any increase in performance in RoF by doubling my memory from 4gb to 8gb?

Note: I have an ATI HD5770… am working with 4 sticks of DDR2 and an Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9550 on a 64 bit mobo.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!
S!

I think ROF uses max 4 GIGS and yes, with Win7 64bit ROF will use that extra RAM in your favour

#3 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 13 July 2010 - 13:55

Even though ROF only uses X ammount of ram currently as tvrdi said win7 will use the excess ram elseware. Say running TS or background applications. I am looking at upping my memmory.

#4 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 13 July 2010 - 15:50

Even though ROF only uses X ammount of ram currently as tvrdi said win7 will use the excess ram elseware. Say running TS or background applications. I am looking at upping my memmory.

ROF will never use 4 GIGS in total….4 GIGS would be enough for ROF + win7 64 bit + TS (TS programs are not RAM hungry anyway)…..I never run any other applications in background (antivirus etc.) Its not advisable anyway. You can test your CPU and mem usage easily to see what Im talking about.

#5 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 13 July 2010 - 16:05

ROF will never use 4 GIGS in total….4 GIGS would be enough for ROF + win7 64 bit + TS (TS programs are not RAM hungry anyway)…..I never run any other applications in background (antivirus etc.) Its not advisable anyway. You can test your CPU and mem usage easily to see what Im talking about.

So you think I'm in pretty good shape with 4 gigs and don't really need to spend the money? (Although I use Adobe CS4 and I bet 8 gigs would up AE's performance).

Thanks for the input, guys.

#6 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 13 July 2010 - 16:09

So you think I'm in pretty good shape with 4 gigs and don't really need to spend the money? (Although I use Adobe CS4 and I bet 8 gigs would up AE's performance).

Thanks for the input, guys.

If you use CS4 you will benefit from more than 4 GIGS on 64 bit wins. Even more with CS5 ;)

#7 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 13 July 2010 - 16:13

Except the dds plugin doesn't work with 64bit Photoshop :(

Since 1.012 the ROF.exe can use up to 4GB of ram. I never checked if it atually does but it is possible in theory, and it might very well do in future, especially with the ever growing skin packs and new planes.

I only have 4GB of ram myself but I also don't run any sophisticated background apps while playing ROF.exe I haven't had a single "out of memory" error since 1.012, and I am using Windows 7 64bit.

#8 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 13 July 2010 - 21:13

Except the dds plugin doesn't work with 64bit Photoshop :(

yep :( But you can always install 32 bit version of Photoshop on XP 32 bit on separate partition :)

#9 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 13 July 2010 - 21:18

actually it also installed the 32bit version in addition to the 64bit without asking me (see 32bit programs), and it runs fine with my w7 64bit, its just a bit of a pain because I always have to launch the app manually rather than lauching it by opening documents, because that will launch the 64bit version. I guess I could actually change the latter, but oh well, cba :)

#10 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 13 July 2010 - 23:21

Good info, guys. Thanks!

#11 Masaq

Masaq

Posted 13 July 2010 - 23:33

We're going badly offtopic here, but the best thing to do is do all your editing and preparation in PSx64, and save all your completed .PSD files to a single folder - "Batch Conversions" or similar.

Now manually load up PSx32, and create a simple script that loads the .PSD files from the "Batch Conversion" folder, flattens the images and then exports them via the nVidia plugin using the DXT5-with-Mipmaps option, to a "Completed Textures" folder.

Then, whenever you've worked on some new textures you can simply pop them into the batch folder, open up 32-bit PS, and run your batch script. It'll open, flatten and export every image in the folder to your completed-texture folder, saving you from having to go through the process manually.

Still not as quick as being able to generate the .DDS files from within PSx64, but it is quicker than doing it manually.

#12 =IRFC=mols

=IRFC=mols

Posted 14 July 2010 - 00:16

In RoF the difference from 4G to 8G will be hard to notice while you are flying. You will notice a difference loading missions after the first one or two. What you don't use in memory gets used for hard drive caching. So with 8G memory that's roughly around 5-6G cache, a lot more than around 1-2G that will be used with 4G RAM.

#13 rabu

rabu

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:35

I have XP Pro SP3 32bit and a core 2 duo E6600 at 2.4MHZ with 2GB DDR2 RAM and a Nvidia GTS 250 with 1GB DDR3 A Gigabyte MOB North BridgeP45e

Will adding another 2GB of the same RAM help with me, or is my CPU the limiting factor at this point?

Thanks,

#14 catchov

catchov

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:00

I have XP Pro SP3 32bit and a core 2 duo E6600 at 2.4MHZ with 2GB DDR2 RAM and a Nvidia GTS 250 with 1GB DDR3 A Gigabyte MOB North BridgeP45e

Will adding another 2GB of the same RAM help with me, or is my CPU the limiting factor at this point?

Thanks,

Go the extra 2 gigs of ram first Rabu. Cheaper. XP will utilise 3.25 gb's only (or thereabouts) but that's better than what you currently have.

#15 =IRFC=mols

=IRFC=mols

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:02

Rabu,

It will to a point.. The limiting factor of 32 bit is 4G (2 to the power of 32 is 4G.) Your hardware will use some of that address space, video card is a big one. So in XP32 most people will get around 3ish Gigs of usable memory.

Still 3 is a lot better than 2, and memory is cheap!

#16 rabu

rabu

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:34

OK, thanks guys

#17 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:03

Thanks,

Wow, you totally want this upgrade if you can do it. RAM is super cheap, and the extra gig will help out your system quite nicely. It's the cheapest upgrade you can do, actually.

But yes, your CPU is a limiting factor. If you are comfortable with installing pc parts, a newer mb and cpu would do wonders! (you might send a pm to TX-Thunderbolt who watches over the hardware forums….or better yet start a thread there about cost effective (cheap! :D ) options for a new mb/cpu/ram combo (you'd want to make the upgrade to DDR3 with the newer mb/cpu).

HTH

#18 rabu

rabu

Posted 14 July 2010 - 15:10

Thanks RM, I had thought my next step, besides more RAM, would be to just replace the CPU with a faster one .. the MOB supports Core 2 Quad or Duo in socket 775 series. Unfortunately, the budget doesn't support everything at once. Do you know if the Quad series is supported in ROF and would it help much?.. it will probably be my next upgrade after the RAM

#19 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 14 July 2010 - 15:13

Going from two to four cores is the first upgrade any ROF player should make, imo, especially those with a preference for singleplayer.

#20 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 14 July 2010 - 15:31

Going from two to four cores is the first upgrade any ROF player should make, imo, especially those with a preference for singleplayer.

Right, do the readings here or at simhq and you will get the conformation by people who went from a dual to a quad. Keep in your mind my RoF is not using more than 2Gb, so I think if your rig is in shape 3Gb will be fine here. I have 4Gb and a 1Gb Vcard btw.

Rabu, If you like I can help you, sent me a PM .
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#21 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 14 July 2010 - 16:14

Keep in your mind my RoF is not using more than 2Gb

You wrote somewhere else that you are using Windows XP Pro 32bit so ROF can't use more than 2GB because of the 32bit limitations.

#22 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 14 July 2010 - 17:45

XP uses 3gb IIRC (that's what I was using just before my upgrade to win7).

Yes, you want to upgrade from 2 to quad core! If your mb supports that, then it's the next logical move.

#23 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 14 July 2010 - 18:05

You wrote somewhere else that you are using Windows XP Pro 32bit so ROF can't use more than 2GB because of the 32bit limitations.

Wow I'm tracked 8-) or the start of getting trolled :lol:
Seriously my RoF, man I'm getting confused by these OFF-RoF things. I mean RoF in general not on my rig and 2Gb was based on the minium spec.
32bit and the 2Gb OS32bit limitations you mean 3Gb I suppose :? ????

I will try this weekend [if you want] to check what the maximum RAM RoF consumers in my rig, all this is was done before the 1.012 update. Did this test to confirm if the game failures were caused by to less RAM in my 32bit OS. I had used the windows task manager to monitor and was keeping a close look at the HD light. Do not know the exact figures but failure were not caused by shortage of RAM.

edit: my system is very lean and tweaked, more services or applications running means also more RAM uses.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#24 Marco_._

Marco_._

Posted 14 July 2010 - 18:44

I have 4GIGS of DDR3 RAM and i7920 OC to 3,3 GHZ, GTX275 GPU (896MB VRAM,) Win7 64bit and in single player (20 planes in dogfight (me and 19 AIs), two types) ROF (together with win7) uses 2,2 GIGS of RAM in total.

#25 rabu

rabu

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:48

Well, this morning, I ordered another 2GB of Patriot Extreme DDR2 800 SDRAM which matches exactly my existing Patriot 2GB and I have the extra two slots to put it in. I was surprised that it was only about $60 now, I paid over $100 for the exact same RAM when I built this system just a few years ago.

I'll do the CPU upgrade later.

Thanks everyone for you input and help.

#26 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 15 July 2010 - 17:46

Well, this morning, I ordered another 2GB of Patriot Extreme DDR2 800 SDRAM which matches exactly my existing Patriot 2GB and I have the extra two slots to put it in. I was surprised that it was only about $60 now, I paid over $100 for the exact same RAM when I built this system just a few years ago.

I'll do the CPU upgrade later.

Thanks everyone for you input and help.

Rabu, do not leave us without share us your results here.

#27 rabu

rabu

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:03

Absolutely, will report back when I get it all running; hopefully by this weekend I can take some time off and fool with it.

#28 ImPeRaToR

ImPeRaToR

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:14

Wow I'm tracked 8-) or the start of getting trolled :lol:
Seriously my RoF, man I'm getting confused by these OFF-RoF things. I mean RoF in general not on my rig and 2Gb was based on the minium spec.
32bit and the 2Gb OS32bit limitations you mean 3Gb I suppose :? ????

I will try this weekend [if you want] to check what the maximum RAM RoF consumers in my rig, all this is was done before the 1.012 update. Did this test to confirm if the game failures were caused by to less RAM in my 32bit OS. I had used the windows task manager to monitor and was keeping a close look at the HD light. Do not know the exact figures but failure were not caused by shortage of RAM.

edit: my system is very lean and tweaked, more services or applications running means also more RAM uses.

No trolling involved. On a 32bit system any application can only use 2GB max. The 3GB you are mentioning (and I believe it is closer to 4GB) is total system memory including video ram. With 1.012 the LAA-Flag was set in the rof.exe allowing the rof.exe to use more than 2GB (up to 4GB) on 64bit systems. This does not make ROF a 64bit application but it is the first step in the right direction.

I only managed to find information about this flag in german but the pictures speak for themselves imo:

http://www.3dcenter....ress-aware-flag" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.3dcenter....artikel/das-lar … aware-flag

orange is the application, green is windows, VRam etc.

The fact that ROF uses 2.2GB in Tvrdis example is proof that there is an advantage to having a 64bit system now and I am sure there will be more advantages to be had in the future.

Also when upgrading ram on an i5/i7 keep tripple channel compatibility in mind since it boosts memory bandwidth by quite a bit.

#29 rabu

rabu

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:40

Did I just waste some money.. I guess I didn't understand before.. so actually, my XP 32 bit won't be able to take advantage of the extra 2gb I just bought and it's not going to help any? :oops:

#30 VonHelton

VonHelton

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:24

There is no such thing as "Enough RAM" …LOL!

:twisted:

#31 catchov

catchov

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:27

Did I just waste some money.. :oops:

Hehe we got another one to fall for it :lol:

Relax Rabu. You will have 3gb+ ram to run your whole PC. If, as alleged, an application may use a max of 2gb memory in xp32, you will have more memory available to run essential windows procedures. Meaning you should avoid the lockups you had recently.

#32 ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:36

On a 32bit system any application can only use 2GB max. The 3GB you are mentioning (and I believe it is closer to 4GB) is total system memory including video ram.

In fact, maximum memory usable by single process is 3GB (with /3GB switch in boot.ini), but then not much is left for OS on ordinary gaming PC.

#33 rabu

rabu

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:37

Well, that's a relief, thanks.

#34 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:18

XP86 Ram results for RoF 1.570.000kb peak usage, so Neoqb 2Gb minimum spec is true.
Hidden applications not needed services are reduced when possible on my rig, only windows firewall is on. If your rig is not into shape this RAM usage could be enormous and resulting in a flickering HD light.
Using 2.2Gb RAM, that is simple, Vista or Win7 are using a lott more RAM due all the services, thats the advantage of XP86 I'm running only 12 services and with no "64-to-32 bit" conversion RoF is still a 32bit game :D .
Forget all the links with the "right information" or to prove I'm right nonsens blogs :roll: , check your WTM, that gives you the right info in how many RAM your 32bit OS can handle and what is left over for RoF. :geek:

#35 Silenoz

Silenoz

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:40

I have 8 gig running Win 7 64bit and looking at the performance on Task Manager, I still have about 6 gig left, thats even with loads of stuff in background running. So yes the best and probably the cheapest way to increase performance is to buy more ram… as much as your Mobo and wallet will allow. The more the better but only in 64bit OS as 32bit wont use more than 3.5 gig, despite having at least 4.

#36 rabu

rabu

Posted 17 July 2010 - 15:34

Gads.. maybe it's time to update to Windows 7 too. I'm at a point, after running XP for 3 years, of reinstalling it anyway because of some weird doings and an over loaded registry.

#37 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 17 July 2010 - 15:44

be careful of Win 7 and duo core with RoF! Seems I've read that it is not a good combinatin.

#38 VonHelton

VonHelton

Posted 20 July 2010 - 00:11

Gads.. maybe it's time to update to Windows 7 too. I'm at a point, after running XP for 3 years, of reinstalling it anyway because of some weird doings and an over loaded registry.

Rabu, Windows 7 is AWESOME!

I have had ZERO problems with it.

:mrgreen: 8-)

#39 rabu

rabu

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:02

That's good to hear.. have you been playing ROF with it yet though? ..that last post was saying there are problems with ROF and Win7 when you have a duo core CPU.. what do you have?
Let us all know what you think.

Thanks,

#40 VonHelton

VonHelton

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:13

That's good to hear.. have you been playing ROF with it yet though? ..that last post was saying there are problems with ROF and Win7 when you have a duo core CPU.. what do you have?
Let us all know what you think.

Thanks,

I had no problems flying the demo, and I suspect ICE will be even better. The wait is what is killing me! (That, and the fact that I may hafta mortgage my home to buy Adobe Photoshop!)

:shock:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users