Photo
- - - - -

my rudder pedals don't work!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 sgran

sgran

Posted 05 July 2010 - 16:32

i just got my new rudder pedals, installed the software and tried to reset the yaw axis for rudder, but it mistakes the rudder singals for joystick axis and gives you no option for rudder!

#2 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 05 July 2010 - 16:36

What pedals do you have?

#3 sgran

sgran

Posted 05 July 2010 - 16:36

saitek pro flight rudder pedals.

#4 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 05 July 2010 - 16:52

That is a strange one. I used to use Saitek pedals and many here are using them.
I just clicked on the yaw box and move the pedals. They assigned fine.
Are you sure you are trying to assign them correctly?
Move your cursor over the box to make the X appear (as shown in pic) and click it to clear the box.
Then click (might be double click, I can't remember) on the box again and move your pedals. It should then assign. If it does, be sure to Save, using a name of your choice.

#5 sgran

sgran

Posted 05 July 2010 - 16:57

I keep trying. It keeps coming up as joy_axis_t

#6 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 05 July 2010 - 17:02

Do you have yaw assigned to your stick already?

#7 sgran

sgran

Posted 05 July 2010 - 17:54

I do. I had the twist motion on my joystick as a placeholder before I could get rudder pedals. It recognises the input from my rudder pedals I think but it still assigns to the yaw of the joystick.

#8 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 05 July 2010 - 18:01

The only thing I can think of is to make sure you delete the previous yaw assignments you had for the twist stick - if you haven't already - in case there's a conflict of some kind or you're looking in the wrong place for the rudder.

#9 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 05 July 2010 - 23:24

Could your joystick twist rudder be spiking a little?
If it is, it may be tricking the game. As soon as you click to assign your pedals, the game sees the joystick spiking and assigns it instead, if that's even possible?

Try unpluging your joystick and assigning the rudder pedals first. If they do assign then try hooking up the joystick and see if it works okay.

Make sure the rudder pedals is the only thing assigned for Yaw (other than the default keyboard keys).
As you can see in the example picture, I have no other input device assigned for rudder. If your joystick twist rudder has a place in the Plane Control: Yaw, it may be overriding your pedals. Be sure to remove it by clicking on the X to clear that section of any prior assignments before you try to assign the pedals.

#10 sgran

sgran

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:58

The strange thing is that I always cross off all of the yaw assignments before I try to assign the rudder. But as soon as I move a udder, it assigns the joystick twist motion. I tried to unplug the joystick but for some reason the rudder assigned itself for pitch and roll as well, so I turned it off and on again and it went back to being dominated by my joystick. I won't be able to try anything till tomorrow.

#11 sgran

sgran

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:00

I think the main thing is that the game, or at least my copy of the game for some reason, seems only capable of using one device for aircraft control, but that can't be right.

#12 PP_Nobody96

PP_Nobody96

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:47

No, it can use multiple input devices. I had a Saitek Evo Force combined with a x52 throttle before switching to the g940.

#13 sgran

sgran

Posted 06 July 2010 - 15:56

this is very odd. Just tried it again, and I can set it up for just rudder pedals to control the rudder and no joystick control, or the joystick controling pitch and roll and nothing else. This game aint big enough for the two of them.

#14 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 06 July 2010 - 19:19

What kind of joystick is it?
Oh and have you tried different usb ports?

EDIT:
The game can and does handle multiple devices. I used to use a Saitek X45 with Pro Pedals and Belkin n52 for hotkeys. I am currently using a G940 along with the n52.
Another thing you could try is to restore your game to default by using the Launcher and the Recovery button.
Then use the Input.map to begin with.
Once in a while controls will get messed up due to changes and additions that updates bring to the games controls. I have read about a few people that had this happen to and it has happened to me once, maybe twice before.
Just try making an entirely new profile using the default Input.map as your base. It solved my issue (but it wasn't the same as yours)… Anyway, it may straighten it out. I hope it helps.

#15 sgran

sgran

Posted 06 July 2010 - 21:05

Well I managed to solve the problem by plugging in both muy stick and rudder into two USB's next to each other and it works! That's just made my day. Now I think I'm going for a flight. Thanks Butch and Sirocco.

#16 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 06 July 2010 - 23:55

Glad to hear you got it all working. :)

#17 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:10

Cool man, happy flying :)
I am sure you will love those pedals.

#18 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:45

Outstanding!
Good work Butch and Sirocco!

#19 Blade79

Blade79

Posted 15 July 2010 - 22:15

I just installed my new rudder pedals and it's working fine! With track IR it's real a cool combo now. Thanks to my awesome brother who always surprises me :D
Cheers!

#20 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 15 July 2010 - 22:43

Ive had major issues with joystick not working in RoF. They need to try and fix the software so that it auto asigns the basic settings at least. The current setup will drive away a lot of users who just get fed up with trying to get it to work. Its quite a common issue. The tech boys on this site will tell you its not, but most people are not super computer programmers like some here. :o
My 2 cents worth.

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#21 Blade79

Blade79

Posted 17 July 2010 - 16:00

What joystick do you have?
I have an old old Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 1 with an old gameport plug and it's working fine.

#22 VonHelton

VonHelton

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:17

What joystick do you have?
I have an old old Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 1 with an old gameport plug and it's working fine.

My Sidewinder was recognized by the Demo just fine as well.

#23 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:57

SATTEK X50 CH FLIGHT yOKE

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#24 sgran

sgran

Posted 18 July 2010 - 21:48

I have one of the older Saitek AV8R joystick. It's outlived two computers, three keyboards and 4 Headphones over the years, so its pretty reliable. The two throttles make it perfect for ROF. A few weeks in and I'm finally used to flying with rudder again, converting from twist motion. The DH2's much harder to fly, the Camel, DR1 and Nieuports are much easier to fly now and everything else is around the same.

#25 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 09 September 2010 - 18:07

Looking into buying the same set: Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.
Question: does it come with a separate power supply (brick) or is it strictly powered off of USB?

Nevermind… found the answer.

Think it will work well with my Thrustmaster T.16000?

#26 Earnhardt

Earnhardt

Posted 14 December 2010 - 00:46

i have ch pro pedals and have same problems that sgran is having. on occasion the assignment routine has even asigned my pedals to the throttle. i have tried everything including reinstalling software, but i am convinced this is a software issue.

#27 Earnhardt

Earnhardt

Posted 14 December 2010 - 00:51

i have ch pro pedals and have same problems that sgran is having. on one occasion the assignment routine even assigned my pedals to the throttle. i have tried everything i can think of and have concluded this is some type of software issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users