Photo
- - - - -

g940 assigning buttons

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 R_Suppards

R_Suppards

Posted 03 July 2010 - 00:29

In general the g940 is OK, but it can be frustrating and has a mind of it's own. I have assigned recharge/ cocking of MGs to s5. That's OK but g940 decides it has a view function as well and I get an above top plane view of sky which I don't want. Similarly assigning s4 to another function still causes s5 to zoom in, which again I certainly don't want, because functioning unbidden in the middle of combat can be infuriating and causes me to lose vision at a critical point.
Any ideas on how to override viewing features of g940 would be appreciated.
I prefer to chose my functions and not be dictated to by the joystick.

Jerry

#2 Nova...

Nova...

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:18

Check to make sure that the key mappings for your views are not mapped in the RoF game settings.

#3 R_Suppards

R_Suppards

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:28

Nova, thanks for the prompt reply. I take it that by views you are referring to what RoF calls camera controls. If so then I can say that so far I have not attempted to change any RoF settings from their keyboard standards.

Jerry

#4 hairylegs

hairylegs

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:27

Hi Jerry,
Just go into the RoF settings and delete the default joystick commands for views. Best to go through each section one by one. Some you will find are "redded" out, for those, use the logitech profiler to assign the buttons as the corresponding keystrokes. If you would like to use my maps just pm or email me and i'll send you a copy. Also, i use the second click of the trigger to recharge my guns, it takes awhile to get use to not squeezing all the way to fire, but if i get a jam, with just a little more squeeze i can clear the jammed gun without the other ceasing to fire… very handy.
Cheers
Louie
ps, the views are in pilot head controls, and camea controls i think, it's best to go through and change each section 1 by 1, dont be afraid to delete everything you can leaving just YOUR joystick assignments as the default cannot be modified, save to a new profile called jerryRoF3-7-10. As you modify and tweak in future, save to simillar dated profile. That way you can go back easily if you find that one profile/ set of curves was more to your liking or better for a certain plane. Once you are satisfied, you could even save "JerrysCamel" and "JerrysDR1" etc..

#5 R_Suppards

R_Suppards

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:10

Hi Louie,
You warned me there would be a steep learning curve and I'm beginning to see it is so.
In my slow learning style I have not looked in pilot head control or camera controls. is there a difference? I assumed camera control was only providing external views of aircraft and pilot gestures were just that. Obviously not so.
I have been concentrating on flight only so far, the basic controls and response curves and even that takes me a time to grasp so yes please on your offer of your setting. Either PM me or e-mail will do.
There are obvious differences between a sim and the real thing and it is that area I am coming to terms with. But I agree with you it is a great game and one worth the effort.
One worthwhile tip I picked up was to use the left throttle as a radiator control. As the two (throttle and radiator) are so closely linked, it made sense to me to almost siamese these.

Jerry

#6 hairylegs

hairylegs

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:24

Hi Jerry,
Great idea for the throttle link, i will attach my latest map, R1 mix, R2 rad, trim 1 alt. throttle, you will still need to set tir center to s4 within tir. I recently formatted and forgot to save my maps so these are not fully refined yet, as I have been too busy to even get much air time lately. It's all relatively easy once you get your head around the need to map some things within logitech profiler and others within RoF settings. Also, if it developes a mind of its own, just check that you have not accidently moved the three position mode switch at the base of your right throttle. I will email you the maps, but they are a bit rough, as i still need to go thropugh and delete some of the snap views that share some of the buttons. The way i did it was just to step through the rof settings one by one, if a joystick command was enabled by default, i would ask myself
1. Do I use/need this function? and
2 IF so Does it conflict with other commands
If not1, i would just delete the joystick command and if 2 then the most important/used function gets the button.
Now youre really confused huh…
I'll try to find time to clean them up a bit before I email them but you may find them confusing till i get time to make you a full list of each buttons assignment.
BTW. I have lost some functionality ie snap views (as i have tir) in order to maintain just one mode in use, as i am the type to forget to switch modes in the excitment of entering, fleeing battle. With more time, you will make a much better job of it than me at present, but as you said, it's so easy to get swamped at first, but mine may give you some new ideas at least. Sorry for not repling sooner, been busy trying to design a new ecm for the turbo evo that is the panicea to my mid life crisis. :oops: (the motorbike does't help in winter, except that shrinkage makes brewers droop imposible)
Cheers
Louie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users