Photo
- - - - -

TrackIR

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 wingstrut

wingstrut

Posted 01 July 2010 - 14:28

I am new to this sim but have been around for awhile (RB3D days). I have a Dell Studio XPS system with the latest i7 chip. All that is great. But I finally invested in a TrackIR set. Last night was the first time I used the device. If you want to maximize your enjoyment of this sim and all it has to offer I strongly recommend players invest in TrackIR gear. This morning, however, I must say that I am feeling a little "air sick" and dizzy from play last night! Maybe I am just getting old because I can't stand roller coster rides anymore either. For those new to the sim and/or don't know about TrackIR. Below is a link:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/01-store/store-catalog.html

For those who do not have TrackIR you are at a technical disadvantage when playing if you do not have this. You will probably notice a player who has TrackIR in multiplayer when someone is able to follow you in every complex move when no icons are used.

ps. No I am not a paid spokesperson!

#2 ATAG_Bliss

ATAG_Bliss

Posted 01 July 2010 - 16:30

This is my firm belief with how good track ir is: I would rather fly with a keyboard and mouse with TrackIR, than fly with fancy CH joysticks, throttles, pedals, and no Track IR. That's how much of a differnce it makes. To all those thinking if it's worth it or not, IMO, it's the best upgrade you could possible make for a simmer.

#3 =IRFC=mols

=IRFC=mols

Posted 01 July 2010 - 16:54

There are some who are excellent with a mouse in their non-joystick hand who use it to pan around instead. I am not one of those, and I don't think ever will be. It does take quite a bit of practice and ambidexterity.

My only suggestion is for the "air sick" feeling is crank up the sensitivity, it is nice to only physically turn your head around 5 degrees to make your pilot check his 6. And of course take breaks. ;)

#4 ATAG_Bliss

ATAG_Bliss

Posted 01 July 2010 - 18:07

My only suggestion is for the "air sick" feeling is crank up the sensitivity, it is nice to only physically turn your head around 5 degrees to make your pilot check his 6. And of course take breaks. ;)

A nice glass of whiskey always seems to help me with this while flying ;)

#5 cwmiforphill

cwmiforphill

Posted 01 July 2010 - 18:27

Hey SYN_Bliss,

I find when I try and fly the camel, it feels like I've already drunk a bottle of whiskey.

#6 wingstrut

wingstrut

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:07

A nice glass of whiskey always seems to help me with this while flying

I like your thinking. Time for some old #7.

#7 ATAG_Bliss

ATAG_Bliss

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:55

Wingstrut,

Check your private messages..

#8 jimcarrel

jimcarrel

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:56

This morning, however, I must say that I am feeling a little "air sick" and dizzy from play last night!

I had that problem the last time I fired up FSX with TIR, about a week ago, havn't used TIR since.
I think it is part of "Oldtimers Syndrome".

#9 catchov

catchov

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:50

This morning, however, I must say that I am feeling a little "air sick" and dizzy from play last night!

I had that problem the last time I fired up FSX with TIR, about a week ago, havn't used TIR since.
I think it is part of "Oldtimers Syndrome".

Luckily Naturalpoint has "air sickness" bags available as accessories :lol: Never had that problem myself but agree it's the best kit to come along for sims … and especially flight sims since the FFB twist joystick :P

#10 ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:36

Make sure your video card has v-sync turned on. Tearing sometimes can be very tiring. Also, don't sit too close to screen - let something stationary be in your field of view - this usually decreases motion sickness.

#11 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 30 July 2010 - 15:00

ok guys,

I'm considering buying a TrackIR5.
Would you pls. tell me:

1. is the difference between TrackIR4 and TrackIR5 worth the price?
2. is the clip pro (headphone-mounted) with those LEDs significantly better than the standard (cap-mounted) one?

Thx.

#12 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 30 July 2010 - 16:32

ok guys,

I'm considering buying a TrackIR5.
Would you pls. tell me:

1. is the difference between TrackIR4 and TrackIR5 worth the price?
2. is the clip pro (headphone-mounted) with those LEDs significantly better than the standard (cap-mounted) one?

Thx.
1.NO even the numbers show they arent that far different, I changed from TIR3 which was alot different

2.I use the cap mounted ones because I hate wearing headphones. Some people claim they are better and technically they may be more accurate since they are using an active transmission of light instead of reflecting off of the reflectors. If you wear headphones get them, if not dont bother.

#13 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 July 2010 - 16:53

I think the advantage the clip brings with having lights only matters if you are having trouble darkening your room. Not that your room actually has to be dark, but there should be no point lightsources for the TrackIR sensor to get confused from.

I use the TrackClip pro because I wear a small headset: I use it for teamspeak, with the sound of teamspeak coming through the headset and the sound of the game coming through the speakers. A perfect solution.

Remember, if you're not part of the solution; you're part of the precipate.

#14 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 30 July 2010 - 17:10

1.NO even the numbers show they arent that far different, I changed from TIR3 which was alot different

But the numbers say (1st line TrackIR4, 2nd line TrackIR5:
SRP
$ 99.95
$ 149.95
Head Position Tracked
6 Axes (6 DOF)
6 Axes (6 DOF)
Horizontal Field of View
46°
51.7°
Sample Rate (FPS)
Raw Sensor Resolution
355 x 288 *
640 x 480
Sub-pixel Resolution
1/20th pixel
1/150th pixel
Reporting Resolution
7,100 x 5,760
96,000 x 72,000
Resolution/Horizontal Field of View Degree
154 subpixels/degree
1850 subpixels/degree

really doesn't matter?
:?

#15 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 30 July 2010 - 17:13

I use the TrackClip pro because I wear a small headset: I use it for teamspeak, with the sound of teamspeak coming through the headset and the sound of the game coming through the speakers. A perfect solution.

Thanks, Jorri.

#16 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 July 2010 - 17:16

Yes, the better resolution makes the TIR5 a big improvement over the TIR4. I haven't tried both (I own the TIR5) so I don't know if you actually notice much of this difference when using them.

#17 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 30 July 2010 - 17:23

Yes, the better resolution makes the TIR5 a big improvement over the TIR4. I haven't tried both (I own the TIR5) so I don't know if you actually notice much of this difference when using them.

I will not notice any difference for sure, as I don't plan to buy both of them :lol:
I think I'll go for TIR5.

Thank you both for your input.

#18 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 30 July 2010 - 17:27

Definetly I was assuming you already had a 4 and were looking to upgrade, thats why I said no. If you are buying out of the gate get the 5, just the Field of view improvment in the 5 over the 3 I had was a great step up.

#19 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 30 July 2010 - 17:52

Definetly I was assuming you already had a 4 and were looking to upgrade, thats why I said no. If you are buying out of the gate get the 5, just the Field of view improvment in the 5 over the 3 I had was a great step up.

Ok,
thanks, Viper.

#20 kirock777

kirock777

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:01

Although I'm using a TrackIR 5 setup with an ATI 5770 and the hat clip (and the latest drivers)… if you can't get this to work, say "f" it and try Freetrack.
Freetrack still works slightly better than TrackIR5, is cheaper and has none of the problems with 32 or 64 bit Win7.

Just my two.

#21 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:28

I have no issues with my TIR5

#22 MoMorgan

MoMorgan

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:06

I just dove straight into the TIR5 with no previous experience on its predecessors for comparison. The TIR5 was more readily available and there seemed to be only a modest difference in price. In those scenarios I try to embrace the state of the art.

TIR5 is a fantastic innovation and it really is a quantum leap ahead for playing ROF once you get it. It only took a mission or two to harmonize the settings and become almost second nature. Going back to the joystick trim button is a massive retrograde.

The performance specs comparison between 4 and 5 are most compelling–the FOV and resolution should make the decision a snap. I'm not sure the minimal savings for TIR4 would provide a good return on investment for going the economical route. Best to make the TIR5 leap and stay ahead of the technology wave.

#23 EclecticRazor

EclecticRazor

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:41

I wanted to love this game and it wasn't easy. TrackIR made the difference for me. You can't be cheap when it comes to situational awareness - especially for those in multi-player. TrackIR is worth it.

#24 catchov

catchov

Posted 14 February 2011 - 13:20

TrackIR is worth it.

Indeed it is. The only issue I have is the flaky s/w. When exiting, more often than not, it won't shut down and I have to kill it via task manager. I find everytime I exit Trackir now I check task manager and sure enough most of the time it's still running. Did it in XP, still does it in Win7. Annoying yes but …. meh.

#25 Kunter7

Kunter7

Posted 14 February 2011 - 17:53

Although I'm using a TrackIR 5 setup with an ATI 5770 and the hat clip (and the latest drivers)… if you can't get this to work, say "f" it and try Freetrack.
Freetrack still works slightly better than TrackIR5, is cheaper and has none of the problems with 32 or 64 bit Win7.

Just my two.

It's been quite awhile since I posted this… I am now enamored of my TR5… the Freetrack has left the building. :lol:

Couldn't fly without it! :D

Kunter7 (kirock7)

#26 wolfstriked

wolfstriked

Posted 14 February 2011 - 18:51

I find that I am constantly moving beyond the sensors range.Whats strange is that I must have the sensor unit to the left side of my monitor in order to keep the green dots centered on the camera tab.I can see why if you have the track clip pro sitting on the left side of your head but I have my track clip centered on top of my headphones.That said I really feel it adds to games by large amount.

#27 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 14 February 2011 - 19:18

Yeah if you are using the headphone clip you have to have the camera offset. Roughly half the width of your melon +2" off center. I use the hat clip and love it.

#28 wolfstriked

wolfstriked

Posted 14 February 2011 - 20:42

Viper that is what is weird.I use the hat clip centered and still have to offset my sensor.Could be something is wrong with my unit?

#29 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 14 February 2011 - 21:10

Have you zeroed it out? Usually if you hit the re-center key it will move everything back to center.

#30 Wolfstrike

Wolfstrike

Posted 15 February 2011 - 19:37

I mean the small screen in upper right(called camera)that shows where the 3 reflectors are in 3D space.I figured out what it was.Its that the sensor was slightly tilted to the right so I needed to move t to center.I also fixed the annoying issue of the sensors leaving the range by sitting very close to my monitor.TrackIR takes a lot of playing with to get it right!!

#31 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 15 February 2011 - 19:42

Did you select the right device? that is you have to tell trackIR that you are using either the trackpro clip or the passive sensors. I use the clip because my computer is in a well lit room with a 5 bulb chandaleer and I wear a headset anyway. I have tarckIR 4 with the 5th generation software and hav no problems with it. If money is tight I would suggest trackir 4 and download the trackir 5 software as directed. I got this for this past chrstmas and already can't imagine not using it!

#32 Wolfstrike

Wolfstrike

Posted 15 February 2011 - 22:21

The clipPRO will do nothing when selected.Its fixed though….my sensor was offset slightly.They should put in manual that a good way to setup the system is to sit where you will….then move the sensor(tilt up/down-left/right)so that the three green dots are centered in the camera box.

#33 FI=Murph

FI=Murph

Posted 23 February 2011 - 18:45

How do you all use 6DoF with ROF? I find that if I enable the axises to allow head movement up and down, and roll, I just can't seem to line up my gun sights at critical moments. I've been just using the zoom function of 6 DoF (TrackIr 3 Pro w/ latest software and headphone clip).

#34 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 23 February 2011 - 18:49

How do you all use 6DoF with ROF? I find that if I enable the axises to allow head movement up and down, and roll, I just can't seem to line up my gun sights at critical moments. I've been just using the zoom function of 6 DoF (TrackIr 3 Pro w/ latest software and headphone clip).

I have the Center TIR function mapped to a stick button. I use it a lot when I'm shooting, so it's a button right under my thumb. ;)

You also can center it and then pause TIR, which will lock the view, but I find (like padlock, which I never use) it really limits my already pathetic SA.

Hope that helps.

#35 Bilbo_Baggins

Bilbo_Baggins

Posted 23 February 2011 - 18:54

Are you using dead zones? Without them it would be hard to keep your head steady enough to aim. I attached my profile in case it could benefit anyone, but I'm by no means a Trackir guru. This profile works great for me, but you'll have to change the centering key (I have it mapped to my joystick).

Attached Files

#36 FI=Murph

FI=Murph

Posted 23 February 2011 - 22:45

Thank you, this is a very good profile. 6DoF is back!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users