Photo
- - - - -

Question to Neoqb on videos .....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WF2

WF2

Posted 29 June 2010 - 14:10

Looking at the complicity of making a video from RoF, whether using FRAPS, RoF recorder …. etc.

Is there anyway you can (meaning Neoqb / 777 Studios) could simplify this by making the RoF Recorder an editor too? With the ability in file types to upload to YouTube or any compatible video player after editing and doing a " save as " ?

Just thinking here ……. :)

#2 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 29 June 2010 - 14:54

I could be wrong WF2 but it would probably mean Neoqb having to create their own video editing suite. Something that would take time and resource.

Its a bit like the adage about flight simulators. In that if you try to make the perfect flight simulator you end up building a real plane.

You would still need to render out the footage to get the right format, and that would probably take some major work to get it in game. The Fraps recordings are uncompressed. Its the conversion to compressed files that takes the time and effort. You basically have to re-render the entire animation, frame by frame.

At the moment, like IL2 you can save tracks that will play within ROF as all they are doing is recording what happens in the mission and telling the engine to play them back as is.

To make a youtube video you still need to export the footage via a editor.

The way I do it is I record and watch all my footage back through the ROF track function with Fraps at the ready. When I see a scene I want to capture I hit the record key in fraps.

That raw footage then gets dumped into after effects where I can edit it and add soundtracks etc. Its within that program that the video takes form.

Once done I then render out into a youtube freindly format.

It is a bit of a faff but its the same with every other PC game/sim. After a while you get the hang of it, its not too bad. You can use other editors, Vegas is good and simple, I would try to stay away from windows movie maker.

#3 XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K

Posted 29 June 2010 - 17:40

What squid said. They'd have to integrate a rendering engine that supports the codecs that are mostly used nowadays. Because you can - IMHO - easily record with 3rd party software, like fraps, it isn't really necessary.

As far as I can remember, the original Lock On had such a feature, though.

I know it's not easy at first, but creating a good video really does take some effort. Or at least some time. You can't really make it *much* easier, sorry. :?

Some tips for working with large files of raw video footage btw: Always have the drive you use de-fragmentized. There's good freeware out there that can do this in the background when you're not using your machine, like SmartDefrag. This really makes working with and editing these ENORMOUS files much, much more enjoyable. Can't really say much about editing software in general, though, because I only ever worked with Adobe Premiere.

So please stick with it, learn the basics and more advanced stuff and most important - never hesitate to ask if you need help with anything. People are always willing to help, especially around here. :)

I'm looking forward to see your videos :mrgreen:

#4 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 29 June 2010 - 18:53

Looking at the complicity of making a video from RoF, whether using FRAPS, RoF recorder …. etc.

Is there anyway you can (meaning Neoqb / 777 Studios) could simplify this by making the RoF Recorder an editor too? With the ability in file types to upload to YouTube or any compatible video player after editing and doing a " save as " ?

Just thinking here ……. :)

Uhm,

is making a video a crime?

complicity - com·plic·i·ty (k m-pl s -t ). n. pl. com·plic·i·ties. Involvement as an accomplice in a questionable act or a crime. …

Just thinking here…. :lol:

HT

#5 WF2

WF2

Posted 29 June 2010 - 19:18

… its a less common word for " complexity ", I know. But being so hard to post a video, well ….. it is a crime in todays age. ;)

….. is my Mingish improving?

#6 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 29 June 2010 - 19:40

… its a less common word for " complexity ", I know. But being so hard to post a video, well ….. it is a crime in todays age. ;)

….. is my Mingish improving?

LOL, I know you meant "complexity" but I just couldn't resist.

You're not old enough to plead "senior moment" like me :lol:

S!

HT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users