- - - - -

New Video...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 29 June 2010 - 13:25

Hello all,

I've (finally) worked out how to make a decent video (just as competition deadline passes.. :?) Just finished… ;) Please watch in HD, though not convinced the quality really is HD? It's all been fairly complicated, Just bought Fraps and the file sizes are enormous! Didn't work in Movie Maker, too much stuttering, so after much hunting downloaded "Videospin" - free - works well - but wouldn't upload to Youtube in the end? So had to put the finished result back in Movie Maker(!) :roll: Save as HD then upload.. All very complicated - any tips gratefully received on editing/software/Fraps/general video stuff.. ;)

However, I'm pleased with the results :P

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nVBIv0vZkvg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">

#2 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 29 June 2010 - 13:42

Excellent video! I've been thinking about doing something similar…flying tutorials. The Se5a is an excellent choice, it's docile and stable. The big explosions are a bit distracting though! :)

#3 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 29 June 2010 - 13:48

Nice instructional video on flying a circuit and landing in the SE5a.

#4 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 29 June 2010 - 13:52

Excellent video! The big explosions are a bit distracting though! :)

They were meant to be the icing on the cake! :lol: Thought it would add some interest to a "lesson"..

But enjoyed making it.. Maybe I should do another one on circuits and get "bounced" downwind :lol:

#5 WF2

WF2

Posted 29 June 2010 - 14:00

Very nice video. First class.

At 1:52 you said, " Level off 1000' aal @ 80 mph ". I think you mean, " Level off 1000' agl @ 80 mph " ? Just a type-o.

AGL= Above ground Level.

#6 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 29 June 2010 - 14:21

At 1:52 you said, " Level off 1000' aal @ 80 mph ". I think you mean, " Level off 1000' agl @ 80 mph " ? Just a type-o.

AGL= Above ground Level.

Aal = Above aerodrome level..

(must be an airline thing - we usually refer to it as part of the take off profile - a height above the airfield that the aircraft accelerates away from the initial V2+20 climb speed :lol: )

#7 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 29 June 2010 - 14:38

Very nice!

We need more flight tutorials like this. Looking forward to the next one.

How about one on basic acrobatics or navigation?

#8 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 29 June 2010 - 16:42

I already have placeholders for the lessons, we just need someone to add the content! :) Video tutorials will be a welcome addition!

http://wiki.riseoffl...le=Basic_Flying" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wiki.riseofflight.com/index.php? … sic_Flying
http://wiki.riseoffl...Advanced_Flying" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wiki.riseofflight.com/index.php? … ced_Flying

#9 WF2

WF2

Posted 29 June 2010 - 16:51

AGL= Above ground Level.

Aal = Above aerodrome level..

(must be an airline thing - we usually refer to it as part of the take off profile - a height above the airfield that the aircraft accelerates away from the initial V2+20 climb speed :lol: )

aae - above aerodrome elevation. Also see aal.

aal - above aerodrome level. Also see aae.

agl - above ground level.

…… you got to be kidding me! :roll:

#10 XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K

Posted 29 June 2010 - 17:58

Nice one, Gisbod! The only thing that (very, very slightly) annoyed me was the black frame around the video. But other than that it's pretty much perfect.

Very smooth take off, flying and landing also. If I wouldn't know how to fly these planes, this would really help me a lot! :mrgreen:

#11 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 30 June 2010 - 00:10

Thanks.. ;)

The black border is because of the widescreen aspect ratio (I think..) to be honest it's my first vid and I'm technologically challenged at the best of times!

Would still be grateful for recommendations on the best editing software out there.. It was a right pain getting this one uploaded… The raw file size of 4:58 worth of fraps is 1.6 Gb!

#12 Stykkisholmur

Stykkisholmur

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:56

Hello Gisbod. I like your video a lot. Here's the answer to some questions in your last post.

Editing Software: You are best off getting Sony Vegas, whether 9 Pro or earlier versions (7 is the earliest I would recommend). Is this you can add some cool post-production effects (such as color filters for a nice feel). It's got an average learning curve, and solves most of your problems you were having.

First, you can adjust the aspect ratio in the editor for each clip, or the entire movie. Second, you can compress the movie file down very small (almost 15MB per 1 minute of 720HD). Is may also help if you have a direct or "hardwired" connection if you're uploading large video files on youtube. If you use wireless, you may frequently experience unknown upload failures on youtube. I've made all my ROF using Fraps and vegas, and here's the outcome (I hate to "spam" your video topic with my video, however I'd like to show you an example if you don't mind).

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TrbrOt_HvLE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">

Also, I just remembered if you're not fond of spending money on this (I don't blame you) there's a cheap editing software called Pinnacle. It's not the best, and doesn't compare to Vegas at the slightest bit, but it has Windows Movie Maker and any freeware beat.

#13 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:55

A superb & professional instruction video. More please :geek:

Now try it with these speeds :P

(Taken from a 1977 Shuttleworth report)

If anyone manages to do a touchdown at 45 mph, I'll pay him/her a pint! :lol:

#14 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:57

A challenge!?! ;) …with how much fuel???

#15 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:23

100%, if you want to be "official" :P

Ok, you can fly with 50% too, it only gives you a few more (1-2) mphs, I've tested it ;)

I doubt they fly replicas with a few drops of fuel like we do online :lol:

#16 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:05

100%, if you want to be "official" :P

Ok, you can fly with 50% too, it only gives you a few more (1-2) mphs, I've tested it ;)

I doubt they fly replicas with a few drops of fuel like we do online :lol:

Actually, I would think they would never take 100%, that's why I asked…

#17 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:09

Blimey Stykkisholmur.. That's seriously good :shock: If you're in the competition (Are you?) It's just as well I didn't bother!

Thank you for the advice - I did try Sony Vegas (free version) but it seemed quite complicated (but to be fair I didn't have a clue what I was meant to be doing - and expired now) - It was before I tried Movie Maker - which despite it's drawbacks I found it to be a doddle to get the hang of…

I also tried the CyberLink PowerDirector 8 Deluxe download - I tried briefly for this project - I loved it but was a bit buggy? kept going to a white screen then eventually came back - which put me off using/buying - so ended up using the free Pinnacle Video Spin - Simple and it worked - but just the an error every time I tried to upload via their YouTube uplink? The problem is you really need to spend time with each program to see what's best suited..

Maybe I'll bite the bullet and get Vegas… :roll:

Ps.. Can you do some more RoF Movies? I love the panoramic cinematic wide-screen effect! I may end up asking you questions in the future if that's all right? ;)

#18 Gisbod

Gisbod

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:16

A superb & professional instruction video. More please :geek:

Now try it with these speeds :P

(Taken from a 1977 Shuttleworth report)

If anyone manages to do a touchdown at 45 mph, I'll pay him/her a pint! :lol:

Thanks for that Greg.. Wish I'd seen that first! :lol:

Although, it's not too dissimilar - just really the speeds - But If I flew it like that I would have stalled and spun in turning base leg! In game below 60 mph it gets wallowy and pre-stall buffet becomes apparent and @55 mph - gravity kicks in! :roll:

It's an interesting exercise to try though - Flying is easy - Flying accurately is not :geek:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users