Photo
- - - - -

trench lines

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Criquet

Criquet

Posted 25 June 2010 - 15:28

Which period was chosen by defect for the trench lines on the map, pls?

before July/August 18 it seems to me

#2 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 25 June 2010 - 15:54

Criquet , your one of the mission makers

can you move the borders / trench lines ?

On the mission editor i saw a button that highlights the terrian into triangle areas in RED , is this some sort of editable grid sections

I should do a photo to show what i mean

#3 Criquet

Criquet

Posted 25 June 2010 - 16:26

can you move the borders / trench lines ?

I cannot do it graphically

the terrian into triangle areas in RED

I do not know what that represents

I can make that :

But I do not know, to redraw trenches

#4 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:37

Criquet
Post subject: trench lines

Which period was chosen by defect for the trench lines on the map, pls?

before July/August 18 it seems to me

Firstly Criquet sorry for changing your question slightly but i think in near future , it MAYBE possible to make the no-mansland MOVE :) and the trench line as well :D

This would mean that some parts of the map would have to be edited and by doing this it would mean the map would have to be totally different saved name , abit like June1916.Map, July1916.Map ,August1916.Map , but by doing this the people that have downloaded these map would technically see that no-mansland had moved.

The basic map would not have to change really so textures could stay as they are at present , the river map would stay same and only the no-mansland texture mapping , road, rail, trench data bin map file would have to change for each version of map
The only reason the road and rail would need changing is because its no-mansland and everything stopped here :) if the no-mansland had moved then the original road and rail would be incorrect and need slight editing where the borderline has moved from to new location.

By doing the above you and vanderstock and the other master mission makers could actually create historical campaigns that show the actual battle over time of months and years.

This also means that the textures either side of no-mansland could have a more gradual transition ,where old bomb craters have water or mud with no grass or poppy fields or just mud with slight grassy patches depending on how fast the borders moved in that area of the battlefields.

Again sorry for changing topic but maybe with map making tools that will be released soon , you can make trench lines the actual historical place for the month you require !

Below is the red grids i refer in last post
In mission editor press number 1 or number 2 button on top tab line , this shows red grid system of the rivers , roads, rail, and TRENCHES :) , each is ""probably"" saved as a different data Bin map file or combined
If you look closely at the red grids in the mission editor program ,you will see the texture of the road, rail,trenches as a diagonal line in the centre of the grids.
(I think) the red grid is somesort of terrian leveling process to smooth out the scenery where the rail,roads etc passes over the scenery , i may be wrong with this bit its just a guess with estimation of map making.

#5 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:50

Yes, this loos very doable. I would have expected that moving the trenches by changing a bitmap shouldn't be that difficult. It's the roads/train tracks that will take some time I guess, at least if this is similar to how it's done in IL2…

About the current frontlines, see here: http://en.wikipedia....1918_german.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia....wiki/File:Weste … german.jpg

It looks our map is the situation after the Somme Offensive, but before the Aisne offensive, so April-May 1918.

#6 Criquet

Criquet

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:31

April-May 1918.

thx

March 18 perhaps, Amiens, Montdidier

#7 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:00

Imagine the campaigns :)

It would be good to have small maps with a no-mansland running across the map, so gameplay is a complexed campaign where multiple objectives completed loads a new map where the borders have advanced or retreated

looking forward to the map tools being released to see what you guys can create

#8 Criquet

Criquet

Posted 27 June 2010 - 18:57

the current frontline, would represent, March 1918/June 1918.

plausible?

#9 tempered

tempered

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:30

I haven't messed with the editor at all, but from using other editors, I would say that red mesh is a walk path. Basically it tells ground vehicles where they can and can not run. Just a guess.

#10 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 24 August 2010 - 16:53

"Knights of the Sky" had moving front lines in 1990 didn't it? And I think you could fly to England.

Admittedly I think ROF trumps it in all other areas! :)

Fond memories though…

#11 tempered

tempered

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:25

"Knights of the Sky" had moving front lines in 1990 didn't it? And I think you could fly to England.

Admittedly I think ROF trumps it in all other areas! :)

Fond memories though…

Aye, the trench lines moved in Knights of the sky. The game came with about 4 or 5 different maps representing different years. I don't recall if you could fly to England, however. Been a long time. I do recall meeting up with enemy aces and issuing challenges to dogfight, which was lots of fun. Oddly enough, I can still whistle the tune that played when the game started :shock:

#12 Tom-Cundall

Tom-Cundall

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:37

I loved the graphic of the plane doing stunts around the logo when you started it up. Ahhh good, simpler times when all cockpits were the same and one bullet (square) made black squares come out the back of the pixellated blob in front of you.

#13 xjouve

xjouve

Posted 17 December 2010 - 15:45

As far as I understand, when you start RoFeditor, it calls for several files, x:\Rise of Flight\data\graphics\LANDSCAPE\ROADS\trenchs included, to create a temporary map.dat file which will be read.

The trench file is apparently full of coordinates. I guess it has been generated from an ad hoc proggy or an advanced version of the editor…

Well maybe it should be a great improvement for the RoFeditor if 777 developpers care to add a feature that will allow us to select/move the trenches.

#14 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 17 December 2010 - 16:01

As far as I understand, when you start RoFeditor, it calls for several files, x:\Rise of Flight\data\graphics\LANDSCAPE\ROADS\trenchs included, to create a temporary map.dat file which will be read.

The trench file is apparently full of coordinates. I guess it has been generated from an ad hoc proggy or an advanced version of the editor…

Well maybe it should be a great improvement for the RoFeditor if 777 developpers care to add a feature that will allow us to select/move the trenches.

What is it with all these folks re-opening ancient threads?

It's becoming an epidemic.

The conversation is long over.

Everyone went away months ago.

Strange.

#15 xjouve

xjouve

Posted 17 December 2010 - 19:57

Useless :roll:

PS: Reported your post to moderator.

#16 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 23 December 2010 - 17:20

August of 2010 is hardly "Ancient". We have stickies on the main page almost as old as that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users