Photo
- - - - -

Windows 7 tips/tricks/gadgets

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 18 June 2010 - 18:48

Everything is up and running with Windows 7, and it seems to be running quite well (must be the extra 3gb of RAM!).

Everything is very new, and I'm making changes as I go.

Are there any particular tips/tricks to using win 7 that you recommend?

For instance, what's the best way to shut it down? I dont care for the sleep mode, as I dont want things running (I liked the old standby mode, which kept your windows and work open for when you restarted). I found a post about "hibernate" which seems to do the same thing.

Also, which gadgets do you recommend?

any other adjustments to make? I turned off auto update. I dont know if there is an auto restore yet…but dont want the system bogging down when I'm in the middle of shooting down the kaisers henchmen!

Thanks!

#2 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 18 June 2010 - 19:06

Google :lol: :lol:

and look at Blackviper.com this is my resource for doing quick and effective tweaks. :ugeek:
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#3 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 18 June 2010 - 20:22

As to gadget: I like the cpu meter and the network meter. I also have a weather gadget but NOT weatherbug!!

#4 Miggins

Miggins

Posted 18 June 2010 - 22:12

I use the CPU gadget and the currency transfer rate gadget, both quite handy for RoF, the currency gadget can sometimes save you 2 or 3 pence if you are prepared to wait a little while and buy when the rate is advantageous to your own currency…..(yeah, I'm that sad :geek: ).

I left autoupdate on and never had a problem yet, though this might be due to net connection speed. I also turned off the UAC notification and as I always log in as admin I've not experienced a lot of the "are you sure you want to do this?" messages that some of my Hussar buddies reported.

I do tend to swap to windows basic screen settings if I intend to runn Battlefield Bad Company 2, as otherwise I see some strange stutter of occasion, though my ping is fine and my FPS stays high, never actually needed to do that for RoF though, so I'm unsure what causes it.

#5 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:09

Readyman, I'm happy you got Win7 working well, but I'm envious of your "no stutter FFB/trackIR" stauts. Mine still stutters.

As for gadgets, I really like the clock, opacity set to minimum. It works like this - close out of RoF… Oh sh;t it's 2am !!

Also , how do you find the Caviar Black HD? Are your load times reduced ? Anything faster ?

#6 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:48

Everything is faster…tho that may be because I went from 3gb of RAM to 6gb of RAM.
Yes I think the HD makes a difference too…it's cumulative.

I'd had that last HD for 5 years or so, so it was at a point that it *could* go out, so it was easier to just get a new one ($69 at amazon with free shipping), and load win7 on that one, using my old HD as a backup.

Definitely recommend the black caviar HD.

#7 Nooney

Nooney
  • LocationOn your 6 Boooooom

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:40

All of the above with ccleaner set at default it cleans all the junk off and clears the cache in seconds and its free ;)

#8 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:26

All of the above with ccleaner set at default it cleans all the junk off and clears the cache in seconds and its free ;)

Are there any dangers with that setting?. like losing something vital ?

Also Readyman , I'm looking at teh F3 Spinpoint HD. Also V good I think

#9 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:14

No, I'm running this software from my win98 time, never had any problems, but there is a backup mode to repair your CCleaner sweep, if things going wrong.

For a HD I always do the check on different testing sites like: http://www.tomshardw...chmarks,50.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tomshardw...com/charts/2009 … ks,50.html
or for my country http://www.hardware....arde_schijven/7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.hardware..../nl-NL/articles … schijven/7
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#10 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:20

Everything is up and running with Windows 7, and it seems to be running quite well (must be the extra 3gb of RAM!).

Everything is very new, and I'm making changes as I go.

Are there any particular tips/tricks to using win 7 that you recommend?

For instance, what's the best way to shut it down? I dont care for the sleep mode, as I dont want things running (I liked the old standby mode, which kept your windows and work open for when you restarted). I found a post about "hibernate" which seems to do the same thing.

Also, which gadgets do you recommend?

any other adjustments to make? I turned off auto update. I dont know if there is an auto restore yet…but dont want the system bogging down when I'm in the middle of shooting down the kaisers henchmen!

Thanks!

It was a topic on the Combatace OFF3 forum some guy had put in a link from a Arabic person who had very good tips on "how to" maybe you should check this. Did a search try, but I can not find it!!

#11 Nooney

Nooney
  • LocationOn your 6 Boooooom

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:29

exactly wat Dutch said, you can put your favourite sites in the dont remove list but I'm so bone idle I just type the passwords back in after a sweep :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users