Photo
- - - - -

Current ROF Airplanes Flight Model Data Topic.

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#121 dcyel

dcyel
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 04 May 2018 - 19:55

Some seem to forget that the Germans didn't have the needed chemicals to obtain the required octane level for their plane engines.

They made "ersatz" chemicals which pushed the octane level above 100 whilst the normal level being 87 Roz.

This means that any captured plane did perform less than flying on high octane German fuel especially all Fokker D VII.

Some Dr.I were equipped with the Goebel Goe engine 145 ps which nullified the drag as the cylinders turned in the opposite direction of the propeller.

Some aces like Jacobs installed a captured Clerget engine which boosted the plane's performance quite a lot.

#122 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 04 May 2018 - 20:36

Some seem to forget that the Germans didn't have the needed chemicals to obtain the required octane level for their plane engines.

They made "ersatz" chemicals which pushed the octane level above 100 whilst the normal level being 87 Roz.

This means that any captured plane did perform less than flying on high octane German fuel especially all Fokker D VII.

Some Dr.I were equipped with the Goebel Goe engine 145 ps which nullified the drag as the cylinders turned in the opposite direction of the propeller.

Some aces like Jacobs installed a captured Clerget engine which boosted the plane's performance quite a lot.

Could post links for this information please. 

The  Oberursel UR.II had a compression ratio of 5:1 and would not benefit form fuels with a octane of over 60, in fact it would reduce performance. 

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#123 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 May 2018 - 21:00

"...which nullified the drag as the cylinders turned in the opposite direction of the propeller."

I think you mean gyroscopic precesion not drag 

1mUlMuE.png
Hauptmann 
Jagdstaffel 2 "Boelcke"

xfnaaHq.jpg

#124 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 04 May 2018 - 21:23

I think he is confusing the   Siemens-Halske Sh.III with the Goebel Goe engine ,( similar to the Gnome engines). 

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#125 dcyel

dcyel
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 04 May 2018 - 22:58

You are absolutely correct. My mistake.

Only the later inline engines got a performance boost from the higher octave fuel.

Nevertheless when the Fokker D VII was tested by the English after the war they couldn't find out why the plane did perform so well during the war whilst it appeared nothing special to them afterwards.

The secret was the fuel indeed. Inhaling the fumes of this fuel was very dangerous but German pilots knew this all to well and took the risks.

Almost similar strange things happened during WW II when the Germans tried to use captured allied planes with their home brew fuel.Fuel tanks on this planes corroded this fast they had to be replaced with German made ones.

#126 Guster

Guster

Posted 05 June 2018 - 19:05

Forgive me for asking this, but I've searched the forum for discussions regarding the Pfalz d.XII but couldn't find much. Teh Interwebz claims this warbird had a top speed of 170 km/h @ sea level, but the RoF d.XII goes all the way to eleven. I suspect Teh Interwebz has copy/pasted from the same (possibly erroneous) source, and/or mistaken the performance data with those of the Pfalz d.IIIa.

I'm certainly not complaining about our d.XII as I very much enjoy leading a flight of SE5As versus a posse of d.XIIs for some high-speed instant action. I was just wondering whether the d.XII really was that fast and if it was simply the BMW engine that made all the difference?

#127 US103_Furlow

US103_Furlow

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:21

The BMW made all the difference; less than 100 built though if I recall correctly.  

#128 Guster

Guster

Posted 26 July 2018 - 18:12

The BMW made all the difference; less than 100 built though if I recall correctly.  

Hmm.. from reading the wiki-article, I gather this would be the F-type, correct? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users