Photo
- - - - -

Sidewinder Force Feedback 2

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 07 December 2012 - 15:14

Ok - just installed the new (to me) used MS FFB2 stick I acquired to back-up my trusty Logitech stick in case the latter goes on the fritz at some point. Windows recognized it, as did RoF, and everything seemed to be going fine until I got into the game and realized I'm not getting any FFB effects at all. FFB is enabled in game, and was working fine with my other FFB stick, but I get nothing in game, and there seems to be no way to test the FFB in the normal Windows control panel settings screen.

Any ideas on how I can tell what's wrong and test to see whether the stick is just dead from a FFB perspective?

BTW - in case it matters, I have the version with the red trigger, and I have a red light on the back of the base that stays constantly on while the stick is plugged in.

Could it be the same issue that Catfish was having? I.e. you have to keep your hand on the stick for the FF to kick in (as it has 2 sensors for that on its handle)

Well, if so then my hands must not be covering the sensors when I'm gripping the stick in a normal fashion - I guess I should take a look at where those sensors are and try covering them with tape or something, just in case.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#42 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:06

Hmm - interesting. I tried covering the sensors (or at least what I think are the sensors) with some electrical tape, but that didn't help. So, in desperation I switched my USB cable into a different port. That seems to have done the trick (even though my other sticks worked fine in the same port I tried first with this stick), in that I at least have some FFB effects now. Unfortunately, they're not very strong, and there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust them (I've got them set at 100% in RoF - is there any way to fool RoF into jacking that up to more than 100% by any chance?).

The FFB is OK for rolling on the ground, pretty faint for MG firing, and imperceptible/non-existent for stall warning (which I always found really helpful with my other FFB stick). However, either my ground-strafing gunnery just improved radically with this little extra practice, or this MS FFB2 stick is a lot more precise and controllable than my other one, so now I'm torn - do I go back to my other stick for the better FFB, and try to tweak the control curves or something to improve its handling performance, or do I stick with this MS FFB2 stick for the better control and keep trying to figure out how to improve the FFB or just get by with wimpy FFB? Too bad this has to be so complicated instead of just working - another reason I hate MS for abandoning what should have been a thriving game controller line of business.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#43 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:17

Did you Plug it into one of the Front USB ports or in one at the Back? I remember when I plugged in mine at the front Ports the effects where very weak. With Force and Shake set to 100% my Stick nearly broke my Keyboard tray when I stalled for the first time using the Stick. :lol:

The light on the back should lighten up a bit more when the Sensors are covered. Also you could try another Wallplug,maybe the FFB motor doesn't get enough power?

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#44 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 08 December 2012 - 16:22

Hmm - thanks for the suggestions - I'll give them a try. I don't have too many options for wall plugs here, but I do have lots of USB ports to try.

#45 Quax.

Quax.
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:32

My FFB2 gives me great stall warning. Hard to say, what is wrong with your setup. Sometimes one or both axis quit (…only the force). It helps, if i reset it ingame: right mouse, control, input: i move the force slider a bit, then press apply. Sometimes i have to do that a few times, but it´s still better than to restart RoF (especially when on a MP server). At 100% force it should be too much force, except if you look like Arnold Schwarzenegger some time ago.

#46 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 29 December 2012 - 13:45

I have used this joystick for ages, 7years at least I had a spare but it got flooded when my office got inundated, my other has just stopped being recognised as of yesterday..device manager tells me its not working properly and I dont know how to fix it!!

#47 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 29 December 2012 - 18:33

Ok how about this…plugged it into another USB, et voila!!

#48 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 29 December 2012 - 18:37

:D good to hear!

#49 3DDevil

3DDevil

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:29

Well, yesterday my beloved SFF2 died :( I think the internal power adapter must have died, cause when I plug it into the wall nothing happens. Can someone tell me if the rear light comes on when plugged into the wall and NOT plugged into the computer. I can't remember…

I am now looking to purchase another… :(

#50 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:32

When plugged in the wall and not in the PC, there is no light.

When plugged in the PC and not in the wall, the light flickers.

When plugged both into the wall and the PC, the light is constant.

#51 3DDevil

3DDevil

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:57

Thanks Jorri!! I'll try it out…

#52 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:12

Let us know if you get it working!

#53 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:13

No way. I'm not falling for this one either ;) I'm sick of this M$ club that sneers at the joystick-challenged amongst us. I will fly with a bad stick and damn well enjoy it thank you very much :lol:

Hello catchov,
I thought you had quit?
Welcome back.
Unless you didn't quit of course, then its just hello and you really should buy a MS stick they are the bees knees.
Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#54 3DDevil

3DDevil

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:43

Well today I took the joystick apart and checked that power was getting to both boards. It was and that led me to suspect it wasn't a power issue at all. So after reading Jorri's post about the lights on the joystick, I re-assembled the joystick and gave it a try in a different USB port. Well I can she is working again…. sort of…. It feels like there is no FFB at all active in the joystick. The joystick works in game (ROF) but without any force at all and feels rather 'sloppy' and doesn't center. Even out of the game and just in windows it feels like there is no center force at all. I may just need to do a re-boot cause I couldn't reboot at the time of testing the joystick because I was doing a backup of my system. The in game setting for FFB was ON so I know that wasnt it. It did work before? Any ideas? I'll try the reboot and test the joystick again and let you know…. Thanks for the help so far.

#55 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:57

Could it be a problems with he sensors in the back of the handle? That the stick doesnt recognise it is being gripped and thus doesnt activate the ffb?

#56 3DDevil

3DDevil

Posted 30 August 2013 - 14:12

Could be Jorri? I cleaned the little 'hole' out to reveal a glass looking sensor. But it didn't seem to make any difference. My reboot didn't help either. Still no FFB. Lucky I have just purchased two more of these joysticks… They are on the way to me as we speak….

#57 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 30 August 2013 - 15:19

Ha it sounds like that will solve the problem indeed :D

#58 diomedesbc

diomedesbc

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:41

I bought one on Amazon.com used and just tried it out now - nothing. No lights come on or anything. Doesn't work. Looks like pretty good condition too. I tried plugging it into different plugs and everything.
Of course I bought it in the summer and was away and or not playing so never got around to trying it out until too late.
Maybe I will try and take it apart and see if I can figure it out…

#59 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:47

Before you do that, did it ship with a power cable?

#60 diomedesbc

diomedesbc

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:19

Yes. Looks like original cds and box, everything.
I am running Windows 7 64bit so I will have to do some more trouble shooting tonight.

The guy I bought it off of is saying it's because it's Windows 7 64bit that it's not working and it doesn't have the drives. But I read it plenty of places that it works fine for people with that operating system??? I wish I had XP somewhere to test it out.

#61 Foxmike44

Foxmike44

Posted 25 September 2013 - 17:18

I am running Windows 7 64bit so I will have to do some more trouble shooting tonight.

The guy I bought it off of is saying it's because it's Windows 7 64bit that it's not working and it doesn't have the drives. But I read it plenty of places that it works fine for people with that operating system??? I wish I had XP somewhere to test it out.

Maybe you need to keep it plugged into auxiliary power for 3 mn, unplugged it and recap definitely.
It should run ok. I had the same problem after received mine. no light and norun even pluggged in auxiliary the first time. Battery should have unpowered by the time since the stick has been shipped.
Hope i'm not wrong and your FFB2 will be ok ;)

#62 diomedesbc

diomedesbc

Posted 25 September 2013 - 23:12

Maybe you need to keep it plugged into auxiliary power for 3 mn, unplugged it and recap definitely.
It should run ok. I had the same problem after received mine. no light and norun even pluggged in auxiliary the first time. Battery should have unpowered by the time since the stick has been shipped.

Ok I will give that a try. I didn't even realize it had a battery? The seller says they sold out because they upgraded to Windows 7 and there was no drivers…

#63 diomedesbc

diomedesbc

Posted 27 September 2013 - 16:31

Ok I will give that a try. I didn't even realize it had a battery? The seller says they sold out because they upgraded to Windows 7 and there was no drivers…
It worked! Thanks a lot.

#64 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 September 2013 - 21:32

It worked! Thanks a lot.

Glad to hear you have it up and running.
Welcome to the RoFFFB club.
I never knew they had a battery either, mine had not been run for several years when I bought it, but it started up straight away with 64bit Windows7.
Cheers,

#65 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:36

Me too, but I guess it is not a battery but a capacitor acting as a battery, because after 13Y this would KO.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#66 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:13

Me too, but I guess it is not a battery but a capacitor acting as a battery, because after 13Y this would KO.

Ahh yes, words of wisdom Dutch.

Cheers,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users