Photo
- - - - -

Sidewinder Force Feedback 2

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 11 June 2010 - 22:52

Lovely wife got me this for as a present.

Do I need to download drivers for XP? how can I access the FF settings of the stick? What should I set them to if i can?

Many thanks

#2 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 11 June 2010 - 22:59

I'm afraid, as far as I know, there's nothing you can do for it….

Nothing but plug it in an enjoy it, since it works flawlessly. No drivers, and no way to change any FF settings on it. Just take it as it comes and love it or hate it.

#3 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 11 June 2010 - 23:06

sweet i love it just checking i got the right settings cheers jorri old bean :)

#4 HotDog

HotDog

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:06

Welcome to the FF2 club squid. I've used this stick for nearly 9 years and have given it absolute hell. It still performs beautifully, but I've been so paranoid of losing my beloved stick I've bought two back-ups over the years to canabalize for parts :)

#5 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:51

I've used this stick for nearly 9 years and have given it absolute hell. It still performs beautifully

Same here, wonderful stick

no way to change any FF settings on it

Although you can edit the dot-ffe files (and therefore the strength of the spring force and so on) in Il-2, using ForceEdit from Microsoft. I'd run that under Compatibility (with 98) settings under XP

Makes that alarming concrete shuttering rumble-bounce less intense going down the runway in Il-2. Oh don't worry squid, you'll know what I'm talking about when it happens :)

Ming

#6 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 27 June 2010 - 16:55

Just plug it in and it works! No drivers or programs needed.
I searched and searched for a utitility to configure the ff2 stick, but nothing works past win98.

I used the force controls in RoF to manipulate the stick to get it just right for me. IIRC, I put the force strength at "2", as you can type it in, and it does seem to have an effect.

HTH

#7 Mogster

Mogster

Posted 29 June 2010 - 20:35

+1

Another satisfied MSFF2 user. It just seems to work perfectly in every sim, even without extra drivers.

I'll be devastated when this thing dies on me…… Say what you like about MS but they knew how to make a good joystick.

#8 madviking

madviking

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:58

Finally got one of these babies on Canadian ebay; My Rise of Flight experience has improved beyond measure. I wonder what a Saitek x52 pro looks like hitting the pavement from 5 stories up? :)

#9 =IRFC=mols

=IRFC=mols

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:49

Grats Squid! Now and then I look for a MSFFB2 in the classified, and ebay. (Edmonton, Can. here) Never see any when I look, although I don't constantly watch it or anything.

It's hard to believe that even if price is no object, there's no other standalone FFB joystick out there that compares..

#10 catchov

catchov

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:04

No way. I'm not falling for this one either ;) I'm sick of this M$ club that sneers at the joystick-challenged amongst us. I will fly with a bad stick and damn well enjoy it thank you very much :lol:

#11 Maico

Maico

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:52

My setup is a MSFFB2 and an X52 witch I use mostly for throttle. Track IR takes care of the looking part but I dont like to use the zoom on it. I manually zoom.
I have the software loaded in the FFB2. I run WinXP PRO. My buttons are programmed and I have one button set up as shift. That effectively doubles my commands on my right hand (X-52 throttle) On the X-52 I have one button set up as Ctrl. That doubles the commands on my MSFF2. I guess after ten years of flying I figured out a couple of things. Now if I could just learn to fly that darn Triplane!!!

#12 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:50

No way. I'm not falling for this one either ;) I'm sick of this M$ club that sneers at the joystick-challenged amongst us. I will fly with a bad stick and damn well enjoy it thank you very much :lol:

Catchov, they come up on trademe here in New Zealand often. www.trademe.co.nz/

You can probably buy one off Trademe, or I bet Aust. has a similar site with a similar pool of second hand ones. I payed about $30 NZ for both of mine. (and got a CH fighterstick for $25)

I have the software loaded in the FFB2. I run WinXP PRO. !

Maico, which softare is that ? and by the way, welcome to the forum :|

#13 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:15

Yes, as far as I know, the MSFF2 software doesnt work with anything past win98. There is one workaround that I saw a screenshot of, but I dont think it does anything more than the RoF FF controls do.

Catchov, there's a reason why everyone agrees it's the best stick available….

#14 ThomasH

ThomasH

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:17

The software works for XP, I have it installed. 4.0 is the one that works…

#15 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 11 July 2010 - 17:55

good to know. I searched everywhere for software to make it work, but found none….other than the screenshot I saw mentioned above.

I moved on to win7, so it's a non issue now, I guess.

#16 catchov

catchov

Posted 11 July 2010 - 23:41

Catchov, they come up on trademe here in New Zealand often. www.trademe.co.nz/

You can probably buy one off Trademe, or I bet Aust. has a similar site with a similar pool of second hand ones. I payed about $30 NZ for both of mine. (and got a CH fighterstick for $25)

Thanks W1ndy. I forgot to take my pill that day. Hmmmm you got me thinking now :?

#17 =MR.FOX=

=MR.FOX=

Posted 11 June 2012 - 20:12

Just got my FF2 last friday and played with it all weekend. I got to say that I love it! I can actually keep planes like the camel steady to aim, without flapping all over the place. works great in RoF. DCS P-51 is too loose, not enough force. same with FSX ( looked into fs force- demo works great ) haven't tried Il-2.

#18 belfastman2

belfastman2

Posted 11 June 2012 - 20:43

Great stick have two of them also to use if one bites dust.Wish Microsoft still made them

#19 VR_Warrior

VR_Warrior

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:01

Wish Microsoft still made them

+1 on that! If MS won't make them I wish someone would buy the rights to produce it! I believe there would be some money to be made there! Any manufacturers or entrepreneurs out there reading this? ;)

#20 Bwf.

Bwf.

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:10

Been using an FFB2 for 10 years now, absolutely the most
reliable stick ever built. Finaly went and bought another
one(new in the box)for a backup on E-Bay for 125usd,
considering that they originaly sold for around 90usd,I
didn't think the price was out of line.

As for drivers, the DL link contains the FFB2 driver pak
put together by Kornulio, it is complete. Read,Comprehend and
Follow the readme.

Works in XP pro SP3, Should work with Win7.

FFB2 Driver Pak:
http://www.mediafire...yi268m9vlmcs4h0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mediafire...yi268m9vlmcs4h0

#21 3DDevil

3DDevil

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:11

Just got a MSFFB2 joystick and I'm loving it. Where can I find the in game FFB settings?

#22 3DDevil

3DDevil

Posted 14 June 2012 - 03:54

Been using an FFB2 for 10 years now, absolutely the most
reliable stick ever built. Finaly went and bought another
one(new in the box)for a backup on Yahoo for 125usd,
considering that they originaly sold for around 90usd,I
didn't think the price was out of line.

As for drivers, the DL link contains the FFB2 driver pak
Follow the readme.

FFB2 Driver Pak:
http://www.mediafire...yi268m9vlmcs4h0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mediafire...yi268m9vlmcs4h0

You link seems to be broken??

#23 3DDevil

3DDevil

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:45

Just got a MSFFB2 joystick and I'm loving it. Where can I find the in game FFB settings?

Found it… cool. :S!:

#24 Bwf.

Bwf.

Posted 14 June 2012 - 17:06

[quote="3DDevil "You link seems to be broken??"

Just tried it, DL'd O.K. People on other FS sites
have been reporting problems with Mediafire lately,
all I can say is try it again.

Regards,
Bwf.

#25 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 17:14

I've had my MSFFB2 for years also but my Force has left it long ago. I admire all who's still work. But it is still a great stick. And I bought mine so many years ago I can't remember for around $50-$60 dollars US.

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#26 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 14 June 2012 - 17:47

I have a gameport sidewinder FFB, which I could use this, these MS products are the best ever made!!!
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#27 wombats

wombats
  • LocationWest Australia mainstay-Sydney Habour N.S.W.-Nrth Queensland-holiday tasmania

Posted 14 June 2012 - 22:13

I did the same as hotdog got a back up MSFFB2 but was lucky to find a brand new one still in original box in Germany, apart from a little bit of wear and tear on my old stick the controls are as good as the new one.

#28 Simas

Simas

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:32

Would like to get a MSFF2 myself.

Where should I start looking for one if I am from Europe? Was watching .co.uk and .de eBay for a while but couldn't find one. I imagine I should be looking for the red tinted button joystick (which is supposed to be the newer update/model). Anyone knows what are the exact differences between the two?

And other than having a FF, does the joystick is precise enough compared to let's say T.16000M? Still, it should be a bit outdated technology by now.

#29 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:54

… As for drivers, the DL link contains the FFB2 driver pak
Follow the readme.

FFB2 Driver Pak:
:?: Can anyone confirm this MS driver pack works with Win7 64 bit? I hate wasting precious free time (aka RoF flying time) on something that won't work, or worse, experimenting and mucking the existing/default drivers, and/or OS up… Thank you if you have! :S!:

#30 iowa-1966

iowa-1966

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:57

After years of using other sticks I now have several FFB2 sidewinders. They are a good stick but you better buy a half dozen if you need parts cause you cant get them from MS or Immersion Tech. No signed windows 7 drivers have been written for this stick, later models of the sidewinder work on W7 only because W7 has the appropriate XP drivers in it's library. I plug and play mine on a W7 DT with no other added files. It all comes up as what it is and you can calibrate etc. My OS is W7-64bit OEM I installed it myself from a Newegg buy

#31 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 20 June 2012 - 15:12

Oh, I know my M$ FFB2 works on Win 7 Pro (plug and play), I thought for some reason that this pack contains configuration files as well though… Thought I read it in this thread, but a re-read did not find any mention…

#32 sheepy

sheepy

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:44

hi guys,
I have lost the power cable of my sidewinder ffb2 joy. Could someone tell me what is the serial/partnumber of this cable or where could I get a new one? I have searched the net but no success… :(
tnx in advance!

#33 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:02

Hi, its a standard cable that you can get in most electronic shops:

Here it is with a Dutch plug..yours may be different :)

#34 sheepy

sheepy

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:54

wow, this is exactly what I need :)
thanks mate :)

#35 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 26 November 2012 - 15:07

Ahhh, I miss Squid. He and I used to grate each other so much!

#36 iowa-1966

iowa-1966

Posted 27 November 2012 - 13:29

Im not sure but I imagine they have Radio Shack in the third world. The OEM plug for this series is sold instore/online under the name ' Enercell' and the model is 61-210, price 11$ USD.

Sean M

#37 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:49

Ok - just installed the new (to me) used MS FFB2 stick I acquired to back-up my trusty Logitech stick in case the latter goes on the fritz at some point. Windows recognized it, as did RoF, and everything seemed to be going fine until I got into the game and realized I'm not getting any FFB effects at all. FFB is enabled in game, and was working fine with my other FFB stick, but I get nothing in game, and there seems to be no way to test the FFB in the normal Windows control panel settings screen.

Any ideas on how I can tell what's wrong and test to see whether the stick is just dead from a FFB perspective?

BTW - in case it matters, I have the version with the red trigger, and I have a red light on the back of the base that stays constantly on while the stick is plugged in.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#38 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:08

Hm, light is on the BACK of the base?

It's on the front for me. Is that just different on the 'red' variant or maybe it's not completely the same stick?

#39 Laser

Laser

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:18

Ok - just installed the new (to me) used MS FFB2 stick I acquired to back-up my trusty Logitech stick in case the latter goes on the fritz at some point. Windows recognized it, as did RoF, and everything seemed to be going fine until I got into the game and realized I'm not getting any FFB effects at all. FFB is enabled in game, and was working fine with my other FFB stick, but I get nothing in game, and there seems to be no way to test the FFB in the normal Windows control panel settings screen.

Any ideas on how I can tell what's wrong and test to see whether the stick is just dead from a FFB perspective?

BTW - in case it matters, I have the version with the red trigger, and I have a red light on the back of the base that stays constantly on while the stick is plugged in.

Could it be the same issue that Catfish was having? I.e. you have to keep your hand on the stick for the FF to kick in (as it has 2 sensors for that on its handle)

#40 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 07 December 2012 - 15:13

Hm, light is on the BACK of the base?

It's on the front for me. Is that just different on the 'red' variant or maybe it's not completely the same stick?

Well, "back" in terms of the direction it's facing in the plane - i.e., the closest part to you, between you and the stick part itself, just below/underneath the silver "Microsoft", on the opposite side of the stick from the wires and what would be the front of the plane.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users