- - - - -

Online game announcement - "Vintage Missions"

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:45

On this website we have put up a calendar that show the next events that will run vintage missions (realistic settings, historically based):

http://sites.google....intagemissions/">http://sites.google....intagemissions/

Because this is not generally known I'll try to announce these missions in this thread as well (but please check the calendar for latest info!) It would be nice if we had a sticky for these sort of announcements (hint, hint).

Currently planned missions:

Sunday, 13 june, 10.00 GMT - Hussar Hellequin Server (dedicated)
Monday, 14 june, 20.00 GMT - Hornet Squadron Server (ad hoc server) up to 12 players.

I suddenly realise I have to look at the World cup schedule before planning new events! ;)

#2 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:16

I suddenly realise I have to look at the World cup schedule before planning new events!

Lol yep, might be a good idea. Thanks for organising this Vander. Ill try my best to make sure that everyone is aware

(Ill make a post over at simhq too).

P.S. how many places do we have on the server?

#3 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:04

P.S. how many places do we have on the server?

I hope Miggins can answer this. From memory I think at least 20 people should be able to join on the Hussar Hellequin Server.

EDIT: max should be around 30, so bring your friends! :)

#4 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:59

Pity I can't make it this Sunday… Have to go vote.

Will try to make it on Monday, though it's a bit early for me.

J5_Hellbender

#5 hq_Jorri

hq_Jorri

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:11

I've linked you on our website as well, Vander. Hopefully these events will get a good turnout.

#6 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:33

Thanks!

Just checked the times with a GMT converter… Maybe the 2nd one, as there's no way in hell I'm getting up at 6 in the morning on a Sunday. ;)

#7 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 11 June 2010 - 13:54

Everyone please notice that the times are GMT without daylight saving. Dunno why they chose this and I don't know how to change it. At this time of year, it means you have to add an hour to get the time in the UK and two hours to get the time in the rest of Western Europe…

#8 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 11 June 2010 - 13:55

I've linked you on our website as well, Vander. Hopefully these events will get a good turnout.

Thanks! Hopefully they'll like it as well…

#9 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 June 2010 - 14:25

Everyone please notice that the times are GMT without daylight saving. Dunno why they chose this and I don't know how to change it. At this time of year, it means you have to add an hour to get the time in the UK and two hours to get the time in the rest of Western Europe…

Does that mean the today's mission is at 5pm, and not 4pm, EST? Anyone? Regardless I probably can't attend because of the time.

#10 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 14 June 2010 - 16:24

Today's mission is at 8pm London time. Please note I changed the calendar to show London time, thus GMT WITH daylight saving.

#11 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 June 2010 - 16:28

Ok, you are 5 hours ahead of me.

#12 Masaq

Masaq

Posted 14 June 2010 - 16:40

Is there a link to the Google Calendar you're using available so that it can be attend to our own Google calendars? That's be a nice and easy way to know when events are happening - it'd show up alongside my shifts for me in my account :)

#13 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 14 June 2010 - 16:55

Ah! Typical British arrogance. I would have thought that football game in which we tied you would have brought you down a peg :lol:

If I get a vote, I would prefer GMT. GMT really is the easiest because many of us are used to dealing with GMT and I know I am at GMT -7 (TANGO time zone for you NATO military vets :shock: ).

Let's not even discuss the International date line…I'm already getting a headache :lol:

My connection got the scheduled upgrade this weekend and, as requested, I should have my PC set up as a server on Tuesday starting at about 2000 London time (which, I think is 1900 GMT and Noon MST, which is where I am (Arizona doesn't have daylight savings time, which puts us out of step with everyone except Hawaii, which also doesn't have DST) – I really get confused :lol: ).

Actually for the time zone challenged (like me) here's a good converter:

http://www.timeanddate.com/">http://www.timeanddate.com/

I'm also looking into buying some time (it's really cheap) on a TS server.

I'll probably be giving it some test runs later (after your session) today.

My hope is to be able to provide a Vintage Missions USA server for Western Hemisphere players several nights a week from about 7 p.m. EDT (4 p.m. PDT) and let it run for about six hours. I may not always be flying (it is baseball season here and will be into October 8-) ) but I'll be home while it's running.

I'll start with Vander's missions and probably add others like Chill's and Smokin's later.

If all goes well, I'll set up a definite schedule you can post on the VM calendar (in GMT :P ).

Except for us old retirees and younger slackers who have nothing else to do, the Hussar and Hornet servers are not possible for Western Hemisphere users. You guys have shut down long before most folks over here get home from work.

I'm planning to start with 12 slots and will adjust from there.

And, yes, I use a Google calendar so it would be nice to be able to link to yours.

S!

HT

#14 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 14 June 2010 - 17:06

Wow thats great news HT! Look forward to it.

Trust me, we are used to the England Team taking us down a peg or two every world cup ;)

#15 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 14 June 2010 - 17:11

Football season doesnt start until September! :lol:

Sounds outstanding HT! I'm 3 hours behind you (with daylight savings time on the mainland), but get home from work about 4pm (7pm PST, 10pm EST, 3am GMT ??), so I should be able to catch the last 2 hours of your missions!

#16 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 14 June 2010 - 17:15

About the calendar account: Yes, I can give access to anyone who is interested. Just drop me an email with your google email and I'll add you to the list.

My email is here: http://sites.google....ssions/about-us">http://sites.google....ssions/about-us

Good to hear of your plans HT! Let's hope it will attract enough folk to make these missions work.

#17 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 June 2010 - 18:44

The stars have aligned to allow me to fly this afternoon, but I see the server has a password?

Supposedly it's only 5 minutes to 8pm London time… :?

#18 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 June 2010 - 18:59

Now the Hornet server has disappeared from the list. :?:

—-

Ok, it came back up, I'm in. :)

#19 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 June 2010 - 21:23

Woops. I had a rof.exe and decided to call it a day. Thanks again for hosting.

#20 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 14 June 2010 - 21:30

Rof.exe error….I thought as much!

Not many players on tonight unfortenately. I liked the balloon mission though, but in the end the allies were outnumbered…

How can we make teams on an ad-hoc basis? I have added intsructions on the map to at least form up over the base, but not many are reading it I guess… And how to determine who's leader? I wish that in the selection screen the name of the aircraft would show. You can set it in the Mission editor, but it doesn't show in the (TDM) game…

#21 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 June 2010 - 21:48

Rof.exe error….I thought as much!

Not many players on tonight unfortenately. I liked the balloon mission though, but in the end the allies were outnumbered…

Yeah, that was fun. It started off as 5 vs 5…

How can we make teams on an ad-hoc basis? I have added intsructions on the map to at least form up over the base, but not many are reading it I guess… And how to determine who's leader? I wish that in the selection screen the name of the aircraft would show. You can set it in the Mission editor, but it doesn't show in the (TDM) game…

I tried to show up 15 min early so that teams and other things could be worked out, but the server wasn't ready yet. To be honest, I was expecting something more like a Patrick Wilson mission, but with human participants: no time limits, no scoring that automatically triggers a new map, etc.

As for directing players on where to go, you might want to consider turning on nav icons (with the target icon for the mission objective). It's a little compromise against realism that could go a long way in guiding confused pilots to follow the mission.

But, again, I had a good time. Thanks! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users