windows 7 and MS Sidewinder FF2

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#41 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:38

it's a steady sticking when panning

Ouch :(

Rof Is sitting in my D drive with no other program at all. 100G of space to play in.

Paging to a drive is to your boot drive usually C:\. That's the drive that mustn't get too uncomfortably low on drive space

That's what we were looking at, whether you are experiencing pagefile thrashing. This occurs when memory is low so an application starts using a hard drive as RAM, you see the HD access light flickering

Good fault-description and it doesn't sound as if that's what it is in that case mate, stuttering-on-panning is more likely to be a graphics card thing

This panning, are you talking about TIR-panning or mouse panning?

If it's TIR-panning then disable TIR and see if the stuttering still happens when you mouse-pan. TIR is doing what a mouse-pan does

Hmm just thinking, you aren't running a graphics tablet are you? I had to disable a tablet once after having trouble like this in another program. Pull all hardware you do not strictly need to run RoF

If I do re-format, are there any key instructions for installing RoF that might help ?

That'll be in Support here but do that Restore Point and backup your Cookies and Favorites and My Documents please before taking the nuke option :)

BTW I did put this rig together, so I might check the connection for the HD LED. It might just be that. I'm not at my game PC to do it now.

So a flickering HD LED

If it's flickering when loading programs it'll be ok, it's only worrying when it's steadily on or off all the time

You're dying to break something so you can get an upgrade I can tell lol :)

Ming

#42 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:10

True true. I've been plotting for a new HD for a while, just for loading speed if nothing else. I think a good one is money well spent because they are not too pricey for what you get.

I think a re-install in a new HD will solve a lot of problems, and then I can gradually add things and observe any changes to RoF.

My C drive is getting packed, about 80% full, so that could be a lot of it.

The graphics card is a 5850. Res. 1900x1080 (but same issue at lower res.)

I just read on SimHQ an old thread with You and Reflected in it I assume. Granboy said he reduced it dramatically by going half on FF and taking out 8xAA. I'll try these things when I get back to my machine.

I don't think it's performance related , but I'll give it a try.I'll also try to uninstall any drivers for the FF2 and let win7 reinstall when I plug it back in.

Basically I'll try all the options and then finally I'll re-format.

Edit; sorry, trackIR panning or mouse panning. I mean trackIR panning . I need to study the other kinds of viewing and report back. Hat switch, and mouse.

That's key information. Won't be till tomorrow now.

#43 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 21 June 2010 - 17:14

there shouldnt be any ms ff2 drivers. it loads automatically with win7.
There is no software that works with the ff2 beyond win98 (AFAIK).

Flickering HD light means the HD is active, and if this is all the time while you are flying, then this is not right. the Light itself is a good thing. It's what it indicates that we are addressing.

Have you looked thru the trackIR forums for panning-stuttering threads?
got the latest version 5 beta (if you have trackIR5 that is)?

I like the black caviar HD. I dont know the specs on the HD you are looking at, but I think it's all pretty close unless you are moving to a raptor, in which case you might as well move to the SSD…which is too expensive for a sizeable HD, so I just went with the WD black caviar drive.
HTH

#44 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 21 June 2010 - 21:14

Have you looked thru the trackIR forums for panning-stuttering threads?
got the latest version 5 beta (if you have trackIR5 that is)?

I looked through the TrackIR threads. Still no joy. There's a lot more discussion about it on this forum.

Readyman could you please tell me where you installed RoF relative to your set up. Any instructions apart from just putting it in C:Program files. ATM I have it away from my OS.

As I said earlier, the game runs smooth, and the rig runs fine. It's just this one issue, and the flickering light is reason enough to upgrade my old HD. If I'm going to re-format I might as well install RoF in the best possible place.

#45 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 22 June 2010 - 18:35

W1ndy,
I installed win 7 to my C drive (my only drive).
I installed Rise of Flight to:
c:\games\Rise of Flight

There was a post by Lefty a while back, which stated that allowing RoF to install in the program files directory can cause an issue (from admin mode or something), so it was best to put it else where. Others recommended that it be installed on another partition or drive. I dont know if that's necessary….
I did a search on "Windows 7" on the forums here and got a bunch of great info.
Here's one link where YOU gave me lefty's post! :D That's the main thread I used BTW

Win7

I finally found the program I was referring to, that turns off background info while you are playing and restarts them when you finish.

Here's a post about it in another forum I visit:

Most Flight simmers use FSAutoStart or AlacrityPC to stop processes not required to play the game.

Usually a XP Computer has 50-55 process running (vista up to 72)

These programs will usually reduce the process down to 25-30 during the game and restore the services after the game exits

In my search, I found something similar on the O.F.F. forums:

Finally another tip, try to use a program like Game Booster that disable temporarily some background processes that can cause bad system performance.
http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

I dont have any experience with any of these programs, but I have heard a lot about Alacritypc…
Here's the link:

alacritypc

I dont endorse any of these programs, but thought you might like some options before the HD nuke.

Hope that helps.

One more thing, I was over on SIMHQ where JFM made a comment about Desode helping him get his RoF game up and running smoothly.

It would be worth a PM to Desode regarding your stutters…maybe he hit on something that we havent touched yet. More info is good! :D

Let me know how it goes.

#46 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 22 June 2010 - 19:27

Thanks for all that Readyman

#47 BSS_DrGlow

BSS_DrGlow

Posted 26 June 2010 - 15:43

W1ndy How did you make out ?

#48 BSS_DrGlow

BSS_DrGlow

Posted 26 June 2010 - 23:21

Is this related somehow SpeedLink Black Widow (SL-6640) Vibration issue

#49 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 26 June 2010 - 23:53

W1ndy How did you make out ?

I decided against any hardware changes as the game runs fine and all other games run fine. I will just live without FF.

The link you posted points to it being something to do with the RoF code I think, but only when using the FF functions. Therefore it could be a fault in the stick that RoF can't handle. This would explain why some get stutter and others don't.

I found a second FF2 online, and it should arrive this week. It might be that my first FF2 just has some faults in it's FF mechanism. I noticed the engines and wheels in there whizzing at times when I don't have FF enabled, so it could be a bad stick.

I'll post back with results next week .

#50 BSS_DrGlow

BSS_DrGlow

Posted 27 June 2010 - 16:48

Out of my 4 MS FFB2 sticks I noticed one of them has a red colored trigger, but the # 8 button on the base of the stick is stuck otherwise its fine.
On the off chance its a newer or older model,and there is the possibility that this is the reason some sticks work and some don't, I thought I should test all my sticks, unfortunately no luck they all stutter with FFB on :cry:.
The part # for the gray trigger model sticks are all the same. The gray trigger part/model # is X05-63776. The red trigger stick has a different model #.
Here is the part/model number for the red trigger stick X08-58736.
There may be several different models of this stick and only certain models work properly.
I wounder if someone Like ReadyMan or Ming would be kind enough to start a pole or a topic asking members that use MSFFB2 if there MS FFB2 stutters or not with feed back turned on, also ask them to post there model/part number.Then we would definitely see a pattern and can eliminate or confirm that certain models of MSFFB sticks cause stutters / or not.

PS. The reason I ask ReadyMan or Ming to help is because I am too lazy too do it :lol: No No I'm only kidding. The real reason is, you guys are very popular around the forms and members seem to sit up and take notice and interest when they see you are the author,your help will appreciated by all us MSFFB2 users with the stutters.If you have time Thanks

#51 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 27 June 2010 - 17:04

I dont think that it is an issue with older/newer models of the stick. (I believe that the red colored trigger was a special edition or something IIRC.)

It also doesnt seem to have anything to do with the OS you are running. I havent seen any posts about stutters in winXP, and not getting them in win7, or
not having them in XP, and getting them in win7. Has anyone seen a post like this or experienced it?

My own experience is that I have no stutters in XP, and none in win7.

It has something to do with the FF itself I think, as turning off FF seems to make the stutters go away.
This is a rough one, tho, because the force effects really add to the sim.

I wonder if other stick users have FF issues as well?

#52 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 27 June 2010 - 17:27

Let's make a list of what we know, perhaps Sherlock Holmes' theory will pinpoint the problem for us (if you eliminate what is possible, then the impossible or improbable must logically be the problem).

We know it's NOT OS based.
We know it's NOT CPU based (some with i7 cpus are having the problem…)
We know it's NOT RoF based (some have the issue, others dont)

It COULD be a TrackIR problem, as only people with TrackIR have the issue, tho if I recall, there are some with TrackIR 5, I7 cpus, win7 and winXP, that have the problem, and some dont.

It COULD be Hard Drive based, if the HD is working on something when it shouldnt be.
It COULD be background program based. Did you try Alacritypc?

feel free to add to the list.

#53 BSS_DrGlow

BSS_DrGlow

Posted 27 June 2010 - 22:09

I Cant help wondering why it only happens in ROF and nothing else, it must be a combination of TIR,ROF and maybe a background program running plus FFB turned on in game. I will look for Alacritypc and give it a try.
There are lots running rigs just like mine that have no trouble. If it is a background prog it hast to be something that starts when I boot my rig up.
I think a better way to explain the view is, it is more of a choppy view that you get when you look around rather than stutter. If you keep your head still and just watch as the ground or trees or planes go by its all smooth as silk but the as soon as you pan around / move your head it gets choppy :?

#54 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:30

Can you use TrackIR and the FF2 stick in another sim with the FF effects and no problems?

#55 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:03

Can you use TrackIR and the FF2 stick in another sim with the FF effects and no problems?

I can. IL2 and WoP work fine with both TrackIR and FF.

#56 BSS_DrGlow

BSS_DrGlow

Posted 28 June 2010 - 23:05

Yes everything else works flawless, its very confusing why ROF and only ROF pans choppy with FFB turned on.
Hey Windy is choppy the way you would explain how the Track IR pans in ROF?. I'm just wondering if you are suffering the exact same thing
I still have to do a serch for that program Alacritypc and give it a try

#57 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 28 June 2010 - 23:36

Only use USB sockets hard-wired to the motherboard for the TIR device and stick, do not run those essential (that there is no latency caused by flaky USB-device power supplies, bricks) two pieces of kit from hubs or powered hubs

Ming

#58 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 29 June 2010 - 21:23

Hey Windy is choppy the way you would explain how the Track IR pans in ROF?. I'm just wondering if you are suffering the exact same thing

Yes the description you gave sounds exactly like the problem I get. I beleive whatever the problem is, we both have it the same.

I tried Alacrity but I didnt like it. Readyman said he did not endorse these products. I prefer Game booster. It works well to take out background apps.

We keep searching …

#59 BSS_DrGlow

BSS_DrGlow

Posted 29 June 2010 - 21:37

Ming, I did have a USB extension on my TIR so I eliminated it and crossed my fingers. The same old thing happened choppy panning, and this might sound crazy but I even tried a different monitor Just to see.
I found the program Alacritypc http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/.
It looks like I have my work cut out for me, the good thing about Alacritypc is, even if it doesn't help with the choppy's it will still improve the game play

#60 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:22

Rats!
I sure wish we could help you guys.
This mystery problem STINKS!
Perhaps we need to go mainstream. Ming, what do you think about moving this topic to the general forum?
Or perhaps we could start a thread there regarding specs involving any pilot using the SWFF2 stick with or without stutters….?

#61 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:06

guys, try this if you havent:

Freezes/Stutters in RoF after 1.009 (posible solutions)

did it fix it?

#62 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:14

guys, try this if you havent:

Freezes/Stutters in RoF after 1.009 (posible solutions)

did it fix it?

, I did all of those, and it made no difference. I was hopeful about those ideas too. Thanks for the link Readyman.

No, no solution yet. I think the thread in the general forum is a good idea. I might do it yet if no-one beats me to it.

#63 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:23

Still grasping at straws here, but you dont have the stutter issue when you dont use trackIR, right?
I think it's TrackIR related.

Was reading this thread over at SimHQ:

http://simhq.com/for...ir_problem.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://simhq.com/for...bbthreads.php/t … oblem.html

That's the 3rd page, but read it thru. Try uninstalling your TrackIR, then reinstalling it per Uriah's post.

Makes sense and it fits.

Also, post this problem over at the TrackIR forums at naturalpoint.
I'm sure there's a link…and I dont think the problem is the SWFF2.

#64 BSS_DrGlow

BSS_DrGlow

Posted 01 July 2010 - 23:45

No problems here for info ReadyMan, it's very well implemented

There are two types of this stick, check the label underneath for the code

Mine is Part No. X05-92622

Ming
Looks like there are 3 different sticks .I have 3 gray trigger and 1 red trigger.The part # for the gray trigger model sticks are all the same. The gray trigger part/model # is X05-63776. The red trigger stick has a different model #.
Here is the part/model number for the red trigger stick X08-58736.
Still grasping at straws here, but you dont have the stutter issue when you dont use trackIR, right?
I think it's TrackIR related.

Was reading this thread over at SimHQ:

http://simhq.com/for...ir_problem.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://simhq.com/for...bbthreads.php/t … oblem.html

That's the 3rd page, but read it thru. Try uninstalling your TrackIR, then reinstalling it per Uriah's post.

Makes sense and it fits.

Also, post this problem over at the TrackIR forums at naturalpoint.
I'm sure there's a link…and I dont think the problem is the SWFF2.

No luck
By the way TIR works great as long as FFB is disabled in game
I cant help but wounder if it indeed has something to do with the different model of sticks

Ming would be kind enough to send me your stick for testing so I can get to the bottom of this :P followed by tour computer if I don't have any luck with stick :lol: :lol: :lol:

#65 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 01 July 2010 - 23:52

Looks like there are 3 different sticks

See I told you :)

send me your stick for testing

I asked first :)

Ming

#66 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:57

By the way TIR works great as long as FFB is disabled in game
I cant help but wounder if it indeed has something to do with the different model of sticks

But that's the thing, Doc, FFB works great without TIR.
Who's to say it's not TIR instead of the SWFF2?
So I think it's TrackIR that is just as much to blame…worth posting about at naturalpoint anyway.

#67 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:10

I tried the ideas in the last link Readyman and still no joy, but reading over at the Natural point forums some more I am leaning towards it being lack of power to the USB port. Even though the FF2 has independent power, it still may be affected by power from the mobo as is TrackIR.

How about we all post our mobo, power supply data ? Mine an old mobo for a start.

Asus m2n68-cm. Corsair 650W. and stutters. I'll try to find the link over at NP.

#68 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:16

Who's to say it's not TIR instead of the SWFF2?

Yes they both sit in USB channels and USB can have latency like any other channel if the CPU gets busy

To dig out info on this, one could use a gameport-type stick not on a USB port and see if that did something - to rule out USB latency (lag, delay in processing) on one of those two channels when they are both connected

Gameports aren't part of the system though since Vista, but some way to split the two (USB TIR/USB stick) into separate channels (stick on the PCI-bus for example) might be useful

I am leaning towards it being lack of power to the USB port

Yes and you'll have seen my reminder about that above or nearby

You've made me wonder now Windy, yes you're right on thinking about it. A USB port supplies 500mA per port. Under FF the stick can jump around the desktop (as in Il-2 going down the runway) and that physically-moving-stick means that lots of power must be drawn from the USB-device's power supply.

Could we predict then that turning down the overall power requirement (FF 'Strength') may help…

Can the stick's FF-strength be turned right down in Settings I wonder? So that one would only get a small amount of resistance to the return-to-centre spring force, so that you don't feel much resistance and the stick doesn't vibrate too much on stall warnings etc, just a little so you know that FF is indeed working.

The warning about needing a motherboard USB socket. I'm not sure if that was because those systems with that problem just had non-usable "The stick doesn't work!" sticks, or whether this potential lack of power-delivery can cause more problems than simply nothing works

Off on a straw-clutching tangent but I wonder if USB latency be tweaked as we can tweak PCI-bus latency with utilities?

Ming

#69 BSS_DrGlow

BSS_DrGlow

Posted 02 July 2010 - 17:31

Ok guys iv done some more testing
First I unplugged all USB devices but left USB wireless receiver for mouse and keyboard plugged in that would be my start point.

Next I plugged in a powered hub. I plugged my TRI in to the hub and MSFFB2 stick in to the motherboard and tested it. Results where the same FFB on = choppy panning.
FFB off = smooth panning.

Next I plugged the MSFFB2 stick in to the power Hub and TIR in to the motherboard. Results where the same FFB on = choppy panning.
FFB off = smooth panning.
So now I get ride of the hub seeing that it makes no difference

Next test
I left the TIR out of the equation and left it unplugged.
I plugged the MSFFB2 in to the motherboard and paned with the mouse. Results where as follows.
FFB on = choppy panning with mouse.
FFB off = smooth panning with mouse.

Next test
I left the MSFFB2 out of the equation and left it unplugged.
I plugged the TIR in to the motherboard and the results are as follows.
FFB on = smooth panning with TIR.
FFB off = smooth panning with TIR

So there it is, what do you guys think.
I'm going to try and find another FFB stick and not a MS one. I want to see if it dose the same thing

#70 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 02 July 2010 - 19:41

just curious, can you plug the FF2 stick AND the TrackIR into the mb, and not have the wireless kb installed?
I dont like the wireless stuff…just a hunch here
(and of course FF2 and TIR should ALWAYS be plugged into the mb).

#71 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:08

just curious, can you plug the FF2 stick AND the TrackIR into the mb, and not have the wireless kb installed?

I took all the USB things out while paused in game to leave only the TrackIR and the FF2 - didn't solve it.

I don't know if that's a useful test or not.

DrGlow - it means that we can't use the MSSWFF2. I don't really want to give up the stick because it gives my best flying experience and shooting accuracy. So I'm still going to keep looking for the solution.

I was away from my PC when I found the thread about power sources, so I couldn't bookmark it and now I can't find it. Ming, I'll look in the BIOS to see about USB latency, but I'm thinking it might just be poor mobos that are causing this issue. I can't test it without a money outlay, and I don't want to upgrade my PSU. I like it.

#72 BSS_DrGlow

BSS_DrGlow

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:44

Sorry ReadMan, I tried that and forgot to post it in my results. I used a PS2 mouse and keyboard when I tried it
You've made me wonder now Windy, yes you're right on thinking about it. A USB port supplies 500mA per port. Under FF the stick can jump around the desktop (as in Il-2 going down the runway) and that physically-moving-stick means that lots of power must be drawn from the USB-device's power supply.
To test this I just sat on the grass in quick mission and did not start my engine so there was no plane movement, there for no force feedback required, the panning was choppy as ever

#73 WW1EAF_Ming

WW1EAF_Ming

Posted 03 July 2010 - 19:54

no plane movement, there for no force feedback required, the panning was choppy as ever

Panning is choppy without moving the stick?

Why then do you think that the stick is causing problems?

I bet I came in late as usual, sorry :)

Ah if you turn off FB you do not see the problem, got it.

Where are you turning FF off and on? In the Settings panel I can only see 'Shake In Cockpit' which I have disabled

Ming

#74 BSS_DrGlow

BSS_DrGlow

Posted 03 July 2010 - 23:33

I honest to god don't know what it is, but I'm trying to eliminate the possibility of it being the stick or TIR which I'm sure its not because the combination works flawless in all other Sims.If the FFB was not as important as it is to me I would just give up like most others and play with out FFB.

Hi Ill start from the beginning. First computer was quad Q6600 and vid card nvidia 8800 tried everything on the forums but no luck, so i put a new vid card GTX280 the Sim ran great as long as I did not enable the FFB. I saved some cash and built a new putter Intel Core i7 930 Quad-Core with the GTX280 vid card it runs as smooth as silk but still no luck with FFB turned on.
I tried xp compatibility mode that was a no go, also the first computers OS was XP pro and I was still getting stutters, Iv spent a lot of money to try to get the FFB working because I am deaf and it is a big disadvantage with out the feel of things for instance like a stall, I know most can hear a stall coming on but it doesn't work that way for me its the same thing for takeoffs and landings and so forth and so on.
Iv also tried 3 different MS FFB2 sticks, I can only pray for a fix one day .I have read this is not an uncommon problem and most have resorted to just turning off FFB. IM still willing to try something new if there is something that I haven't tried

#75 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 04 July 2010 - 00:02

Where are you turning FF off and on? In the Settings panel I can only see 'Shake In Cockpit' which I have disabled

Ming

I'm turning FF off and on in the 'responses' field. I don't know of any other place to do it.

So, as Glow, I sit on the grass and pan - smooth . I go into responses, enable FF with some setting, low or high, then save it and click back out into the game , pan - stutter.

Go into responses unenable FF, go back to the game, pan - smooth. The stick is not touched.

*insufficient power to TrackIR USB port because of weak mobo, or power supply? maybe.
*driver conflict ? maybe.

I think these are the two most likely culprits, but I'm guessing.

How about third party apps ? Microsoft visual redistributable C++. I have the downloaded version of the game. I wonder if these apps are different wit the disc version. clutching,straws ..

Also Readyman , there are a couple of threads in the Natural point forum about this already. I may make another one.

#76 BSS_DrGlow

BSS_DrGlow

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:12

Sorry Ming, as Windy said the on off I use for FFB is in game. If you click on response at the same spot you setup the joystick curve scroll down to the bottom of the page you will see a FFB check uncheck box.

#77 BSS_DrGlow

BSS_DrGlow

Posted 04 July 2010 - 17:02

no plane movement, there for no force feedback required, the panning was choppy as ever

Panning is choppy without moving the stick? Ming
Yes

#78 =IRFC=mols

=IRFC=mols

Posted 08 July 2010 - 00:16

After playing RoF (and flight sims) for 8 months without FFB, I finally caved and ordered a MSFFB2. It arrived today!

Plugged it in, and it worked great. But I wasn't expecting it to well over half/third my framerate. From 'pretty' darn smooth to darn chunky! Of course it's much more noticeable when you are looking around. I may be picky, but I would call it "SLIDESHOW!"

I think I have got it a little better by now running RoF and TIR software as admin, but still, it's a massive drop in smoothness in the game from before. Just makes no sense how something so simple on an expensive Core i7 system caves on this.

Lots of other threads on this, I have found no solution though.

#79 BSS_DrGlow

BSS_DrGlow

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:01

Hi mols sorry to hear that you may be in the same boat/plane as some of us in this thread.
Did you try turning off FFB under the response tab in game to see if your panning becomes smooth again ?

#80 Morgenrot

Morgenrot

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:52

I honest to god don't know what it is, but I'm trying to eliminate the possibility of it being the stick or TIR which I'm sure its not because the combination works flawless in all other Sims.If the FFB was not as important as it is to me I would just give up like most others and play with out FFB.

Hello doctor, how are you? Just got time to post a quick update to let you know I didn't give up!

I recently bought a G940 stick throttle and pedals to replace my aging MSFFB2 (I was thinking about it anyway before this) and guess what? The TrackIR stutter-pan we had before in RoF disappeared! So, whatever the specific USB-related problem is, it's definitely related to the the M$ joystick. HOWEVER… I also found that in RoF, TrackIR in general wasn't QUITE as silky smooth that I'm used to in other sims (barely noticable but still annoying)… so I thought I'd try something different… and let me tell you I was AMAZED at the result! Proper rock solid 60fps with all the graphics options/view distance all now on MAX!!

What I did was:

1. I went to the Gigabyte site and updated my GA-EX58-UD5 mobo BIOS to the latest F12 version. (I was previously running version F7 when I built the rig last year).

2. I went to the Creative site and updated my Audigy 2 soundcard drivers to the latest version (SBAX_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0017).

I was reluctant to do these because like you, my other sims were running smooth! Of course, RoF seems like its more "sensitive" though…

Sorry to say old chap I did both of these updates one after the other before running RoF so I can't say for sure which one "smoothed it out". Actually now I think about it, I think it must surely be the Motherboard BIOS that was key because sometimes I run RoF through the Audigy card speakers and sometimes with my Razer Megalodon headset plugged in (with its dedicated 7.1 chip).

BTW, I don't think your wireless stuff is relevant; I don't use any wireless and the trackIR stutter was the same for me too. I have a 1.2KW PSU so low power isn't the problem either.

Of course, the final conclusive test to do now is I should unplug the G940 and plug the old MSFFB2 back in to see if the dreaded sticky-panning returns! No time now I'm about to go out the door; I'll report back when I can to let you know.

My apologies if you already tried the BIOS & soundcard update, just thought I'd post in the off-chance it helps, rather than say nothing.

Best wishes! Give my regards to Ms Bigglesworth sir! Now let's get running RoF as smooth as a shaved Bigglesworth! :D

"the killer skies will get us all" -Hans von Hammer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users